REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Failed 104 Times in 37 Posts
Catching someone stealing your stuff, what can you do?

So over the weekend, I caught some bike thief unscrewing my stuff off my bike. Knowing better I restrained from punching him square to the side of the head as I walked towards my bike. It would have literally made my bike unridable if he stole my handle bars and brake levers and cables. I had to call a buddy to bring me a set of tools. Looked like I was jacking stuff but I was tying to put my parts back together on the fly.

While I think I handled it the best possible way by telling the guy to f off, and he fled with one bolt stolen and parts just hanging off my bike, what is the extent that could have been taken had the guy actually made off with something? I'm talking like kicking the guy's back wheel while he tried to bike away or tripping him up. Not actually trying to hurt him, I just don't want to give up my stuff I paid hard earned money for.

This happened once already while I left my bike and I was at work. Someone actually made off with almost all the parts on my previous bike. So, I was pretty livid when I caught some douche trying to lift parts off my second bike.

Thanks.
Advertisement
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,158 Times in 391 Posts
Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
I do not think legally you can assault someone regardless of the situation, but I also think it may depend on the type of officer who shows up to the scene and what their take is on the situation.

Spoiler!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Failed 64 Times in 27 Posts
As an owner oif property you can call Police if you find someone committing an offence against your property and detain them until Police arrive. You may ONLY use as much for as is necessary to restrain them until Police arrive.
3. (1) Subsection 494(2) of the Act is replaced by the following:

Marginal note:Arrest by owner, etc., of property

(2) The owner or a person in lawful possession of property, or a person authorized by the owner or by a person in lawful possession of property, may arrest a person without a warrant if they find them committing a criminal offence on or in relation to that property and

(a) they make the arrest at that time; or

(b) they make the arrest within a reasonable time after the offence is committed and they believe on reasonable grounds that it is not feasible in the circumstances for a peace officer to make the arrest.

Defence of Property

Marginal noteefence  —property

35. (1) A person is not guilty of an offence if

(a) they either believe on reasonable grounds that they are in peaceable possession of property or are acting under the authority of, or lawfully assisting, a person whom they believe on reasonable grounds is in peaceable possession of property;

(b) they believe on reasonable grounds that another person

(i) is about to enter, is entering or has entered the property without being entitled by law to do so,

(ii) is about to take the property, is doing so or has just done so, or

(iii) is about to damage or destroy the property, or make it inoperative, or is doing so;

(c) the act that constitutes the offence is committed for the purpose of

(i) preventing the other person from entering the property, or removing that person from the property, or

(ii) preventing the other person from taking
, damaging or destroying the property or from making it inoperative, or retaking the property from that person; and

(d) the act committed is reasonable in the circumstances.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
I don't get it

Failed 22 Times in 11 Posts
I would always try to contact authorities in this scenario, as if you take the initiative to handle it yourself, things could get violent or dangerous in a sense, so take pre-caution
Best of luck OP
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 3,267 Times in 547 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 35 Posts
One paranoia I have about confronting someone and starting an alteration is that I never know if a crackhead has a used syringe on em...
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
seems like all of our laws with regards to defense of person or property are purposely vague. if he was taking something you could use reasonable force to stop him and detain him, if he didnt take anything you could use reasonable force to detain him until the police arrive.

i probably would not try to start a fight with a crackhead over property unless i had a ranged weapon.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
sometimes.... asking for forgiveness is better than asking for permission.... i would say this is such time.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
seems like all of our laws with regards to defense of person or property are purposely vague. if he was taking something you could use reasonable force to stop him and detain him, if he didnt take anything you could use reasonable force to detain him until the police arrive.

i probably would not try to start a fight with a crackhead over property unless i had a ranged weapon.

Welcome to the world Police face....using "reasonable force" to effect an arrest. Not defined at the time, but you will have it defined, in court probably years later, by people who have spent months going over every single detail, who were not there and are armchair experts want to find fault with what YOU did....not the thief.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,227 Times in 4,015 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
As much as it sucks to have stuff stolen it's not worth risking getting yourself hurt over an inanimate object.

If you want to get the guy caught your best bet is to back off and let him keep fiddling with the bike while you call the cops, trouble is that risks him taking more stuff if he gets away before the cops show up.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Failed 104 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
As much as it sucks to have stuff stolen it's not worth risking getting yourself hurt over an inanimate object.

If you want to get the guy caught your best bet is to back off and let him keep fiddling with the bike while you call the cops, trouble is that risks him taking more stuff if he gets away before the cops show up.
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured, hold back as I never know what the guy had in his backpack. I was wearing a thin t-shirt and shorts and cycling shoes. I just know not to take the bike around junkie area of the city anymore no matter what lock I have. Bolts and screws will always be exposed.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
I beat a guy up (arrested) who I caught stealing my GF's car and the cops said good job.

Berz out.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I beat a guy up (arrested) who I caught stealing my GF's car and the cops said good job.

Berz out.

Who...the thief or you??????
Old 05-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #13
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 51 Posts
They probably just wanted you to put your clothes back on Berz

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
I once asked a police officer that came to my home after I reported someone suspicious, am I allowed to beat the crap out of someone if they tried to rob my home and not be charged guilty of assault. I know in the states there are extreme cases where the victim ends up being charged for beating the living crap out of the person committing the crime.

The officer said I am allowed to since I am defending my "turf", but does not encourage as one does not know if that person may have weapons of some sort. Don't really know to what extent is "defending my turf"...Hope no one ever ends up in such situations.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
They probably just wanted you to put your clothes back on Berz
That wasn't Berz...it was Randy from Trailer Park Boys....he'll do anything for a cheeseburger.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #16
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
That wasn't Berz...it was Randy from Trailer Park Boys....he'll do anything for a cheeseburger.
But but... story time with Berz! He said he beat the crap out of someone wearing just his boxers IS EVERYTHING A LIE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 PM   #17
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,924 Times in 2,564 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
But but... story time with Berz! He said he beat the crap out of someone wearing just his boxers IS EVERYTHING A LIE?!
nah...the guy tripped and fell...this was the video evidence

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote