REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #26
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
I know this is a retardedly old thread but Ive seen this car too, and others and I WANT ANSWERS lol

Few months ago I saw a EUROPEAN 2005 Ford Ranger 2.5 TdCi with regular BC plates. Guy said he bought it off some guy that imported it from Germany but how the hell is that possible? It was almost identical to this one:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1280&bih=667

Second was only a few days ago and very relevant to this thread. At Burrard and W 4th going the other way in slow traffic was a early 2000's light blue Peugeot 406 with BC Olympic plates on it.

I heard of some shady importing a while back in Quebec with R33 Skylines but this almost seems like it could be legit and possible and if so I WANT IN!!
Advertisement
dvandoormaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #27
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
dvandoormaal is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Failed 64 Times in 27 Posts
If he is now a BC resident he must get it inspected and registered in BC. If he is here "touring" ( on holiday, no residence, no local address, no power or cable bills etc) he can drive it in BC for up to 6 months IF this permitted back in his home country. His home registration must be valid for him to operate it in BC.

Registration of foreign motor vehicles and trailers
21 (1) The owner of a motor vehicle or trailer

(a) that is duly registered outside British Columbia,

(b) for which the licensing requirements of the jurisdiction in which it is registered are fulfilled, and

(c) that has displayed on it the registration number plates of that jurisdiction for the current year, or is a trailer that is designed exclusively to carry one axle of a motor vehicle for the purpose of towing that motor vehicle behind another motor vehicle and is from a jurisdiction that does not issue registration number plates for that type of trailer,

is exempt from the requirements to register and license the motor vehicle or trailer under this Act, if

(d) the owner or operator of the motor vehicle or trailer is in British Columbia for, and uses the motor vehicle or trailer for, touring purposes only, for a period of 6 months, or

(e) the owner or operator of the motor vehicle or trailer is in British Columbia for, and uses the motor vehicle or trailer for, other than touring purposes, for a period of 30 days

from the date he or she began to operate the motor vehicle or trailer on a highway in British Columbia.

(2) If a motor vehicle or trailer is owned by a person resident outside British Columbia who has complied with the laws of his or her place of residence with respect to the registration and licensing of the motor vehicle or trailer and the motor vehicle or trailer has displayed on it the registration number plates for the current year assigned under those laws for that motor vehicle or trailer and is brought into British Columbi
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:40 AM   #29
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 95 Times in 37 Posts
^How about RHD vehicles (less than 15 years old) being driven by a foreign visitor for a short "touring trip"?
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #30
RS Peace Officer

There is a difference between vehicles being brought by their owners for use while on an actual hoilday...and vehicles being imported for use by BC "Residents". The latter must be processed according to law and registered with the MVB.

I imported a motorcycle of mine to a foreign country and used it there on holiday. I crated it up in Canada and rode it in England, Scotland and Isle of Man. I bought insurance to cover the shipping and my use in those countries and at the end of 5 weeks, crated it up and shipped it back to Canada. I displayed the Canadian plates on it and had no problems at all with any officials. The only other requirement I had was to post a bond in the value of the bike so I would not sell it there.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #31
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 50 Times in 19 Posts
i've seen a Hawaii license plate twice over the past couple of years
VrrM604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #32
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Failed 137 Times in 67 Posts
A year or two ago, I saw a fairly new Seat Leon up here before with Mexico plates... so for those cars with foreign plates, the situation wouldn't be much different, except that they probably just drove here from Mexico, whereas those other cars came by boat.

But as for the vehicles that have BC plates... different story.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #33
RS Peace Officer

I saw a red one on Vancouver Island with Mexican plates on it. Maybe the same car?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #34
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Failed 137 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I saw a red one on Vancouver Island with Mexican plates on it. Maybe the same car?
Very possibly... the one I saw was red as well.

I mean, if you think about it, it's not really any different than seeing cars with US plates up here... so it's definitely legal at least for temporary purposes... but I have no idea how you would get a BC plate on it.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #35
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 1,625 Times in 307 Posts
Actually, this kind of brings up a question.
What is with the 15 year import law? What is that even in place? Is it financial/trade thing to protect our car dealerships?

I've been DYING to get a yamaha aerox, but the earliest they've made them is 92.