REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 12-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #201
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
*drool*
mugen
Advertisement
dub.dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #202
Official RS.net Photographer

Quote:
Originally posted by SG
crappy old sony... but backdrop was too good of a day to miss out on the chance....

Inspires Digital Imaging
A&J Racing
Pics & Mod List
---------------------------------
MY FEEDBACK
InspireS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #203
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Domani
Maybe next time try two exposures?
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #204

Failed 82 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaFonz
Maybe next time try two exposures?

i just ps the way like that.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:54 PM   #205

what does it mean by using two exposures?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #206
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally posted by dub.dub
what does it mean by using two exposures?
1 exposure = 1 picture.
like how a roll of film has 24 exposures, meaning you can take 24 pictures. So what they're talking about is taking 2 pictures and combining them.
MikesJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally posted by MikesJo
1 exposure = 1 picture.
like how a roll of film has 24 exposures, meaning you can take 24 pictures. So what they're talking about is taking 2 pictures and combining them.
yeah
stacking.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #208

Two exposures for when you have different things you want to capture in the pohoto with different light levels.

IE.. bright sky, dark foreground... room with lights.

You'd basically expose one frame for the light and one for everything else and then combine them.

Domani, what you said made no sense..

I suggested two exposures so you could get the texture of the wall without having the light blow it out... i think it's really distracting especially since the car is pretty dark.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #209

Quote:
Two exposures for when you have different things you want to capture in the pohoto with different light levels.

You'd basically expose one frame for the light and one for everything else and then combine them.

I suggested two exposures so you could get the texture of the wall without having the light blow it out... i think it's really distracting especially since the car is pretty dark.
wrong term or not.

but anyhow, it dosn't matter, i know the light blow out i did it
on purpose, just adjust the contrast until my liking.

Last edited by Domani; 12-10-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Domani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:59 PM   #210
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Failed 11 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:

No, actually what YOU said didn't make sense.

He obviously knew what he was doing. He WANTED to blow out those lights, and over expose so that he could get contrast. In this case here, it's not about "going by the rules and getting a perfect exposture", but rather Domani wanted a shot where there would be contrast. Dulling the light would effectively cancel out all the "interesting" elements of this photograph.

And.....it IS called "stacking".
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:04 PM   #211

so in stacking, you would put the 2 different exposures/layers in ps and play with opacity or crop things out? or how would u combine them?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally posted by dub.dub
so in stacking, you would put the 2 different exposures/layers in ps and play with opacity or crop things out? or how would u combine them?
yep
pretty much....

u can stack as many images as u one.. as long as it helps u
get the final result that you like.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #213
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

SHAT UP MAH FUCKING BABIES!

*sigh*

for starters, the term of the technique you're looking for is called a 'double exposure'! it's when you take two images without advancing the film to the next frame in the camera. THUS you get two images ontop of each other.

stacking is something done ONLY in ps. when you put two layers very simular incontent over each other in ps, and then make your adjustments (ie. dodge/burn/layer mask/opacity...etc). This is basically the electronic way of braketing with traditional film.

now ALL this aside domani mentioned this was the type of shot he wanted to get, high contrast. it doesn't mean everyone must like it, fuck, its art afterall.

lets just all try and be impartial when giving comments suggestions.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #214

on that note, personally the above image is great. i love the blown out wall and really big dark shadow to the right of the image. they help balance the image.

what does bother me, is the rear glass. cause its green and i can see through it, bothers me. i would have tinted it all dark., easily done in ps.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #215
ROOGP-03

Quote:
Originally posted by [azn angel]
SHAT UP MAH FUCKING BABIES!

*sigh*

for starters, the term of the technique you're looking for is called a 'double exposure'! it's when you take two images without advancing the film to the next frame in the camera. THUS you get two images ontop of each other.

stacking is something done ONLY in ps. when you put two layers very simular incontent over each other in ps, and then make your adjustments (ie. dodge/burn/layer mask/opacity...etc). This is basically the electronic way of braketing with traditional film.
woot.. finally understand wtf is being said... hahaha...cuz before that it all sounded like n00b mumbo jumbo to me without any actual "certainty" of being real.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:40 PM   #216

Quote:

now ALL this aside domani mentioned this was the type of shot he wanted to get, high contrast. it doesn't mean everyone must like it, fuck, its art afterall.

lets just all try and be impartial when giving comments suggestions.

cool... good eye on the rear glass... i should burn that in...
Old 12-10-2004, 10:53 PM   #217
J__
Banned (BBM)

i like the burn out light and the high contrast look. but the headlight+turn signal reflection on the right in the background is kinda odd... i guess u dodged out the head lights (i can still see a little ) but the reflections is still there on the ground
J__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:00 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally posted by J__
i like the burn out light and the high contrast look. but the headlight+turn signal reflection on the right in the background is kinda odd... i guess u dodged out the head lights (i can still see a little ) but the reflections is still there on the ground
that was from a car on the street...
Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #219
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Failed 609 Times in 221 Posts
Quote:
on that note, personally the above image is great. i love the blown out wall and really big dark shadow to the right of the image. they help balance the image.

what does bother me, is the rear glass. cause its green and i can see through it, bothers me. i would have tinted it all dark., easily done in ps.
I'd agree with that.

No one tints their front windows and not the back...
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:22 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally posted by Levitron
No, actually what YOU said didn't make sense.

He obviously knew what he was doing. He WANTED to blow out those lights, and over expose so that he could get contrast. In this case here, it's not about "going by the rules and getting a perfect exposture", but rather Domani wanted a shot where there would be contrast. Dulling the light would effectively cancel out all the "interesting" elements of this photograph.

And.....it IS called "stacking".
I was answering dub.dubs question!

It happened to come after domani's post, so fine I should have been more clear.

Gee... I must be stupid for not catching on what he was "obviously" doing.

What the hell is the point of a photography forum if you don't DISCUSS pictures. I was giving feedback based on my OPINIONS. If he doesn't want to take them and is happy with his photos, then all the more power to him.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:41 AM   #221
J__
Banned (BBM)

whoa it's getting to look like fight club here i consider photography as an art. and AS AN ART everyone has their priviledge of taking a stab at it. if one considers his own photography as an art then you should consider urself as an artist. this is the hard part. no matter how inexperienced the audience may be in the field, they still have a sense of beauty and what looks good and what doesnt. so the artist's job is to take into consideration of what they say AND balance that with their original ideas, and ways of portraying themselves. it is this balance that makes a good piece. good art is what appeals to everyone, even if it is strange and odd, it still has to been viewed by everyone and anyone and get a reaction of "it works" from them. got art is not something that gets "great" from one group but "wtf" from another. this is what makes a good artist so hard to come by. i think we all should listen to what others have to say about our work that they are not satisfied with and adjust it accordingly while still keeping our own unique ways. this is the stepping stone to perfecting our skills.
J__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:53 PM   #222

i don't get a lot of criticisms... i want more! haha meaning i gotta take more
Old 12-12-2004, 01:24 AM   #223

to everyone!!!!!

i dont think the issue is on whether we should comment on each others work. You're correct, being in the photo forum is about showing off some work and hearing what people have to say.

I think the more important thing to learn here, is how to deliver the message/comments/suggestions. Because photo is art, and art is often a physical manisfestation of emotion, then one could be sensitive towards their photo. we just need to be sensitive to how someone else might take it.

sooooooooo, lets all be happy family and continue. yes we still want to hear your comments dafonz!
Old 12-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally posted by J__
whoa it's getting to look like fight club here i consider photography as an art. and AS AN ART everyone has their priviledge of taking a stab at it. if one considers his own photography as an art then you should consider urself as an artist. this is the hard part. no matter how inexperienced the audience may be in the field, they still have a sense of beauty and what looks good and what doesnt. so the artist's job is to take into consideration of what they say AND balance that with their original ideas, and ways of portraying themselves. it is this balance that makes a good piece. good art is what appeals to everyone, even if it is strange and odd, it still has to been viewed by everyone and anyone and get a reaction of "it works" from them. got art is not something that gets "great" from one group but "wtf" from another. this is what makes a good artist so hard to come by. i think we all should listen to what others have to say about our work that they are not satisfied with and adjust it accordingly while still keeping our own unique ways. this is the stepping stone to perfecting our skills.

i don't agree at all here's why.

-i dont think artwork has to be viewed int he same positive way, for it to be considered 'good' art.
-what is 'good' to me, might be the opposet to the masses. what makes their perception of 'good' artwork more creditable?

ie/ look at maxim's photography. in a whole, i think its mostly crap. does it appeal to a large audience? YES!

when i read your above statements, in regards to the correlation between a widely accepted piece of art and 'good' art, i instead make the correlation between financial success and a widely accepted piece of art. i think if you want to be succesful financially in photography, you have to have images that are demand, therefore popular. if they're not, you'll have a hard time selling.

either way, imo, art is art. we're all entitled to draw the boundaries between 'good' and 'bad' art.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:48 AM   #225

such as the pictures on "boys are stupid. throw rocks at them"
those cartoons = art...