REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #2976
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Should I start planning my exit from gold mining for now? I'm already up almost 20% on avr and about 8% up on FVL

Interested in UUU myself, but I'm not sure how uranium trends are, but they look like they have been doing alright
Advertisement

Last edited by ilvtofu; 01-14-2011 at 10:31 AM.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #2977
Rs has made me the man i am today!

i'm wondering the same thing...

or maybe i will at least reduce my holding in AVR...
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #2978
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Might see a pullback in UUU after its recent run up. I have my sell target at 5.60
soymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #2979
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Should I start planning my exit from gold mining for now? I'm already up almost 20% on avr and about 8% up on FVL

Interested in UUU myself, but I'm not sure how uranium trends are, but they look like they have been doing alright
Always smart to lock profits , especially a 20% profit!
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #2980
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Always smart to lock profits , especially a 20% profit!
worst investment advice in the world

lock in profits when you've gotten to where you estimate it will go... 20% means nothing if it goes up another 50% over the next 2 months...
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #2981

I'd agree with booking profits; being in a situation where you're like "o damn, could've/should've/would've made more $$$" yet still profitable is better than "o damn, coud've/should've/would've booked profits when I had them". Also what's to say your estimate isn't an over expectation. Depends on the volatility and the type of stock you're in, in the end I guess.
shawnly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2011, 09:40 PM   #2982

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly View Post
I'd agree with booking profits; being in a situation where you're like "o damn, could've/should've/would've made more $$$" yet still profitable is better than "o damn, coud've/should've/would've booked profits when I had them". Also what's to say your estimate isn't an over expectation. Depends on the volatility and the type of stock you're in, in the end I guess.
just because you have some profits doesn't mean you should leave a stock, not all stocks have a benchmark amount to increase. if you're always after 20% return, many won't get there in a good timeframe, and others you've researched on have potential to go way higher than this

and if you're estimate is way off, its because you either suck at analyzing, have new data/info coming into play, or just had a bad play

taking arbitrary profits is not investing, its gambling, taking profits upon analysis is wise investing, that's my point
Old 01-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #2983

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
just because you have some profits doesn't mean you should leave a stock, not all stocks have a benchmark amount to increase. if you're always after 20% return, many won't get there in a good timeframe, and others you've researched on have potential to go way higher than this

and if you're estimate is way off, its because you either suck at analyzing, have new data/info coming into play, or just had a bad play

taking arbitrary profits is not investing, its gambling, taking profits upon analysis is wise investing, that's my point
don't teach how people should play with their money sir. you might not take 20% return on the stocks you play, but he might. different stocks have different play. some people want to enjoy the ride up but don't want to be a part of it when it falls.

your advice is helpful but passing judgement on people's play style is wrong.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
don't teach how people should play with their money sir. you might not take 20% return on the stocks you play, but he might. different stocks have different play. some people want to enjoy the ride up but don't want to be a part of it when it falls.

your advice is helpful but passing judgement on people's play style is wrong.
the general comment to 'take profits now!' is the stupidest thing around, i'm not trying to teach anyone anything, what the hell do i care if you win or lose... but when people say things that are blatently dangerous, i'll speak up

a % increase alone means nothing, a 20% increase within a stock analysis calling for 20-25% growth from acquisition means something, it means that its coming time to sell - there's a huge difference here, and i just wanted to point that out, which I think i did, not quite sure why everyone can't understand the logical words i'm writing
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #2985

anyways, back to investment talk

i'm upping my stake in Vodaphone (ADR), 45% ownership of Verizon wireless (just got iphone on this network in US), and is 'cheaper' than Verizon & AT&T, also is a huge player in europe - i'm looking for 15% capital appreciation in the coming month(s)... this room will come from the sale of telefonica, a great spanish telecoms company, 7% div yield... but i want to take my risk out of holding spanish stocks - yes great upside, but i'm weary of the eurozone - will it collapse? likely not, but there may (or will) be some big wobbles in the coming months/years

i could see myself playing telefonica again in the future

also, i'm going to increase my stake in Citigroup (preferred over BofA), by taking my profits from bank of ireland - again, europe is hte main reason for this move, i see C as a much safer play, and it will have a great year, no doubt about it... Bank of Ireland has been very volatile, up 10-20% in the past 6 weeks... but not moving out of this range...

just thought i'd share the next 2 moves i have for tuesday
Old 01-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #2986
My homepage has been set to RS

Don't know what's all the arguing about, but the question itself is a dumb one. No offense to the OP of the question.

When you invest, you should at least give yourself a price target or % gain for future exits.

To ask a forum, who you don't know personally or their intentions, is foolish. Even more foolish to execute the advice.

To the question: Should you exit?

Do you think those companies are getting overvalued?

Hows Gold?

Gold has fallen about 50 bucks since Jan/11, not to mention metals in general have been falling a bit. This has already dampened many of the precious metal stocks upward stock mov'ts.

If you think Gold is going to go back up, then I'd hold AVR and the other companies you have (Also hoping AVR,etc are sound companies).

Too many factors go in to generating an opinion for you to either sell or hold.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM   #2987
I don't get it

seems like a lot of you guys are buying big name companies and day-trading/short term holds on these guys. In the short term you're making money but unless you're deploying 50k at any given time for $9.95 trades, the transaction costs will eat away at you bit by bit.

For the gentlemen dabbling in junior mining companies and being happy with 20% gain/appreciation, come back to the board after you've cashed out your money at a 20% gain missing out on the big double or tripple bagger after the stock pops. You've not seen anything yet. We don't even recommend clients (unless you're a high net worth individual) consider cashing out unless their investment is at 100% gain. Trust me, $30k to $1mil in a span of 2 years with jr mining companies is do-able as I've seen it happen. Even the stock options of the management teams are easily into the millions, please look at companies that have been bought out.

Lets say for example you make 20% on 10k, wtf are you going to do with $2k? you might as well leave it in there as the company has positive drill results with a brighter future. You should stick with your winners and allow them to grow instead of 1. constantly trying to dabble in the current en-vogue metal and 2. trying to guess which metal will be the next darling of the stock market.

One runs through the recent postings in this thread and it's nothing by useless banter with those without the knowledge defending their poor decision making ability resulting in group think. Good job on the 20% gain? you have got to be kidding. The best part about all this, some of you guys are trading stocks with legions of analysts that follow it, go read their reports then come back and post on the board. What could you possibly know about the company that the analyst did not take into consideration when they did the report?
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 PM   #2988

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Is anyone looking into Tag Oil? TAO?

Some are saying it is one of those stock that can go from $2 to $100.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #2989

based on what?

CUU broke through $1 today, at .99 right now
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #2990
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Is anyone looking into Tag Oil? TAO?

Some are saying it is one of those stock that can go from $2 to $100.
How can it go from $2 to 100 when its at $7? I've read that its land sits on a large quantity of oil but who really knows...
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #2991
Need my Daily Fix of RS

MER is so low now...

I read on it's website
3,776,667 two year warrants at exercise price of 10c until January 2011; and at 15c until January 2012.

How can I tell if those warrants were exercised?
iceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #2992
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Looking for some input.

I think I might go with RBC's trading platform after some quick research. I'm a total utter n00b. Anyone have any input?

To attain the $9.95 per transaction, I must make a minimum of 30 trades for the quarter.

How easy/hard is it to achieve that limit (for nubs)?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #2993
I came, I saw, I conquered.

OMG i fucking hate td waterhouse.. I just cancelled an order but my money is on hold and I can't put in a new order WTF. How long do I need to wait till they release my money?

I've been on hold for literally 30mins now and no one is picking up the god damn phone.

FUCK U TD ... THATS IT IM SWITCHING TO SCOTIA

Sorry for the rant..
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #2994
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Looking for some input.

I think I might go with RBC's trading platform after some quick research. I'm a total utter n00b. Anyone have any input?

To attain the $9.95 per transaction, I must make a minimum of 30 trades for the quarter.

30 trades seems a lot for a noobie...and I don't know much about RBC but I use QTrade (not Questrade) and its awesome...ranked #1 on globeandmail...don't know if they get paid to rank them #1 but I don't care...from my experience so far their damn awesome. Only complaint I'd see come up is comission but if you have $50,000+ in assets its damn cheap. Here's a link with other brokers.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1790577/
mas604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #2995

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
OMG i fucking hate td waterhouse.. I just cancelled an order but my money is on hold and I can't put in a new order WTF. How long do I need to wait till they release my money?

I've been on hold for literally 30mins now and no one is picking up the god damn phone.

FUCK U TD ... THATS IT IM SWITCHING TO SCOTIA

Sorry for the rant..
Same thing happened to me in 2009 , I almost threw my monitor out the window
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #2996

rbs SUCKS for trading....BMO is much better (plus getting an employee plan at $9.95 per trade is nice, and no i don't work for BMO or anyhting to do with banking)

RBC fees were BRUTAL

haven't tried anything else
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #2997

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
based on what?

CUU broke through $1 today, at .99 right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas604 View Post
How can it go from $2 to 100 when its at $7? I've read that its land sits on a large quantity of oil but who really knows...
I was reading it on SH the other day. GMP said that Tag Oil can hit up to $225 a share based on what it sits on.

I couldn't find the link I was on so I googled it.

I then tried googling more info about Tag Oil's potential. A lot of people are saying it can be a big hit etc. But I'm not sure if these are just pump and dump tactics these folks are doing and leading us to buy an overpriced stock.

So I wonder if anyone else have heard about it? Been keeping my eyes on SRU and AAA lately. Run up before I got into it. Damn!
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #2998
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Looking for some input.

30 trades per trailing 3 months then they start you on $10/trade. Until then $30*30 = $900 in fees! Yikes.

Better off if you move $50K of your parents money to RBC.. to count as household income.

If you're brave, you can try IB
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #2999

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
I was reading it on SH the other day. GMP said that Tag Oil can hit up to $225 a share based on what it sits on.

I couldn't find the link I was on so I googled it.

I then tried googling more info about Tag Oil's potential. A lot of people are saying it can be a big hit etc. But I'm not sure if these are just pump and dump tactics these folks are doing and leading us to buy an overpriced stock.

So I wonder if anyone else have heard about it? Been keeping my eyes on SRU and AAA lately. Run up before I got into it. Damn!

everyone who is interested in that stock is so offended that this idiot came out with the $225 target. don't listen to idiot analysts

don't get me wrong, could be huge potential - you could make a lot of money, but its not for me at this time
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #3000
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Posted via RS Mobile
rymack is offline   Reply With Quote