REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #3026
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heard any buzz about APE? They just completed the aquisition of the Pulacayo project and is generating nearly 500g silver per tonne.
Advertisement
0000000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #3027

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuka84 View Post
I'm not a engineer or geologist. I have a bcom from ubc, grad 05.

I lucked out after grad and was able to join a mining group located in Vancouver at a time when mining had yet to take off (2005)
Mining analyst...this sounds like my dream job.

For the time being, I guess I'll continue being self-taught
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #3028
I don't get it

Failed 40 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Mining analyst...this sounds like my dream job.

For the time being, I guess I'll continue being self-taught
it's just a glorified name for data entry.

To put it into perspective - think of all the mining companies you know, now take out all the big companies so you're left with all the crop which has the potential to become the next goldcorp; corporate compliance dictates you can't trade any of them without their OK. You have to run all your personal trades through the compliance office to get their approval before you can trade it else it's cause for termination even if your company doesn't do any work and you're not trading based on inside info.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #3029

Failed 49 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymilk View Post
I still believe Canadian REITS are still bullish for 2011. I like Artis (AX.UN) and Cominar (CUF.UN) two solid names with a sustainable 7-7.5% yield.
I wondering how do you analyze these REITs for sustainable divs cuz their payouts > EPS.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #3030
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
there's a difference between cash flow and Earnings
So look at their cash position and cash flow statement
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #3031
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
2011 should be an exciting year for TYE.V but they are tiny, not sure about the risk :/
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #3032
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
suzuka, thanks for the posts, i'm just getting into the stock market world and would like to learn as much as possible

right now i'm in on CUU and BCG, thoughts? CUU is a faily certain end point....BCG is the one i'd like to know a little more about

after your comments on 100% minimun, i find it odd you mention BCM who already has a sp of $7.85.....what do you expect this stock to go to?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #3033
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
atm i like NVT,TYE,VVI are my 3 main picks i would like to see another NR on NVT tho =| and i hear that TYE is going to be drilling soon on the property near RVC. my KIA did well =]
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #3034
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
suzuka, thanks for the posts, i'm just getting into the stock market world and would like to learn as much as possible

right now i'm in on CUU and BCG, thoughts? CUU is a faily certain end point....BCG is the one i'd like to know a little more about

after your comments on 100% minimun, i find it odd you mention BCM who already has a sp of $7.85.....what do you expect this stock to go to?
Back in 08, BCM had a similar share price and smaller mkt cap and companies were looking to buy them out. At the current metal prices, cash positions of major mining companies and desire to operate in politically stable regions of the world, the majors could go back into their potential targets and start spending again. Also, BCM is a exception but if you look hard enough you can find similar companies that conduct exploration operations in the same region of the world with similar world class resource and the market is discounting their share price so it's still below 08 levels. Forgot to answer your question - look at the chairman of the board, she has a very good track record of buyouts, mergers and aquisitions. Her husband also started his own investment bank catering to mining companies. What do you think they intend to do with BCM?

I'm recommending safe bets that you guys might want to take a look. I'm not a BCM shareholder but I've been following the stock for 6 years and have seen it go from under $1 to its current valuation.

My list of missed opportunities is quite extensive.

I wouldn't go near BC Gold. Look at the management team and tell me how they have prior history of building successful mining companies. All I see are a bunch of people starting a company, raising funds and charging management fees enriching themselves. FYI - I'm told some of these guys are trying to start a copper company now as copper is hot. Ask yourself this question - at a $9m valuation for their gold company, should they not focus on building this company rather than starting a new one? Do you now see their priorities?

Last edited by suzuka84; 01-24-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #3035
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
atm i like NVT,TYE,VVI are my 3 main picks i would like to see another NR on NVT tho =| and i hear that TYE is going to be drilling soon on the property near RVC. my KIA did well =]
NVT shareholders unite.

I had to dig through my old tax receipts to find the missing info at our last convo. For TYE, the management team gave me the opp to invest their private oil company, Spear Exploration. $10k in 05 turned into $30k in 2 years. I love the team, I might have to invest in it but they've been doing nothing in TYE for the 4 years I followed them (05-09)
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #3036
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Just curious, what do you guys like about NVT?

Also has anyone been following Bonterra (BTR) lately? I sold them at $0.60 but may look to get back into it soon...
CT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #3037
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't go near BC Gold. Look at the management team and tell me how they have prior history of building successful mining companies. All I see are a bunch of people starting a company, raising funds and charging management fees enriching themselves. FYI - I'm told some of these guys are trying to start a copper company now as copper is hot. Ask yourself this question - at a $9m valuation for their gold company, should they not focus on building this company rather than starting a new one? Do you now see their priorities?
for BCG i think their main (and probably only) goal is to put out some news and hope to get bought out, but i guess that's every mining juniors goal?

as for BCM, you never gave an expected stock price

thanks
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #3038
Rider

Quote:
NVT shareholders unite.

I had to dig through my old tax receipts to find the missing info at our last convo. For TYE, the management team gave me the opp to invest their private oil company, Spear Exploration. $10k in 05 turned into $30k in 2 years. I love the team, I might have to invest in it but they've been doing nothing in TYE for the 4 years I followed them (05-09)
did u go to the convention center?? TYE was there and they were saying that they will be drilling "soon" so we will see

Quote:
ilvtofu: 2011 should be an exciting year for TYE.V but they are tiny, not sure about the risk :/
plz explain

Quote:
CT10: Just curious, what do you guys like about NVT?
i like it because of the thier properties in Finland,the recent announcements in ECUADOR, SP, the people behind it. im waiting for the next batch of NR about the 43-101 and from down south. imho this is one of the most undervalued stocks out there
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #3039
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
for BCG i think their main (and probably only) goal is to put out some news and hope to get bought out, but i guess that's every mining juniors goal?

as for BCM, you never gave an expected stock price

thanks
no idea about the expected stock price but I'm expecting BCM to be bought out by a major mining company so use that as your indicator - what is the normal buyers premium?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #3040
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
did u go to the convention center?? TYE was there and they were saying that they will be drilling "soon" so we will see

plz explain

i like it because of the thier properties in Finland,the recent announcements in ECUADOR, SP, the people behind it. im waiting for the next batch of NR about the 43-101 and from down south. imho this is one of the most undervalued stocks out there
I didn't attend this year as the companies I wanted to see will be presenting in Toronto. Toronto is the big one now and everyone attends it.

NVT based solely on management team - frontier pacific's whole team is intact and after Eldorado's hostile takeover they have focused their attention on Nortec.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #3041
I don't get it

I'm a bad indicator for future stock price.

I barely made a gain on terrane metals - kept believing goldcorp would be the eventual buyer as G held 20% of the outstanding shares so I kept buying and buying only to have them announce the 1.50/share buyout.

Same with potash 1. My avg price on that stock was $2.50, they were purchased for $4.50. They had signed contracts to purchase long lead time equipment showing they fully intended to bring the potash resource into production only bring on board Rob Friedland and sell to a potash producer.

Both times I failed to take into account the billions in development capital required to bring the resource into production.

10-20 years ago, the execs would relish the opportunity to take projects from the early stage all the way through to production. In the current environment, the execs want to specialize - some are serial entrepreneurs lending their name and providing rainmaking abilities while others focus solely on building and operating mines.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #3042
Rider

^i only play penny stocks because it is much easier to make 100%/200%/300% etc. and it wont break the bank.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #3043
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
suzuka..what do you think of AVR?
Underpriced producer with costs at $500/oz? or is something up, therefore the SP is dropping..?

Should I sell AVR in favour of MAI?
Everytime I start to lose money I go into panic mode...I should force myself to think on a longer horizon
waddy, looking at avion gold right now.

for a company worth 600m, why are they not using a big 4 accounting firm for their audits? one of their directors is a special advisor to deloitte so in theory they should be able to get a good price on their accounting services through him.

Also, management ownership is tiny at 2% (2% of 600m is 12m at today's price). For me, I want management to have a big vested interest in the company so you'll be sure shareholder interests are alligned with management for their only goal - increase shareholder value.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #3044

where do you find into on insider and inst. own, other than on the website?
does it really matter who the auditor is? and sprott and sentry own 11% each..

their corp presentation paints a very rosy picture: high resources, low cost per oz, plans to increase production
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #3045
I don't get it

management information circular would break down all shareholders holding more than 5%

and www.sedi.ca
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #3046
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
Wow seriously does anyone use TD waterhouse? I ordered 6000 shares today, filled 1000...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #3047

hmmmn is it cuz you placed a stink bid?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #3048

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
Yeah, what's the issue here Tofu? If it was a day order, then you get what you can at that price. If you wanted the full 6000 shares, you should have changed the specifications to all or none.

Or just do a good till cancel order, and they may charge you 2 separate commission charges.

You gamble if you put in a limit order.

Well not gamble, but investors understand the risk with doing a limit order.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #3049
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Failed 1,372 Times in 243 Posts
You got 1000 because there was only 1000 at the price you bid maybe?

If you wanted the full 6000, I think you need to do a market order. Not sure about TD waterhouse but I know questrade charges ECN fee for market order at $0.0059/share.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #3050
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
where do you find into on insider and inst. own, other than on the website?
does it really matter who the auditor is? and sprott and sentry own 11% each..

their corp presentation paints a very rosy picture: high resources, low cost per oz, plans to increase production
and you can go to www.canadianinsider.com