REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #3601
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 127 Times in 56 Posts
Congrats to all the SD holders out there. What a beast.
Advertisement
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #3602
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
what's SD?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #3603

Failed 16 Times in 3 Posts
Can't wait for the market to open on Monday, grabbed some EK Apr 3.5 calls on Friday.
shawnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #3604
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 127 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
what's SD?
http://www.google.com/finance?q=SD
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #3605
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
PAW has been on a tear since their news release yesterday
xxxrsxxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #3606
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 71 Times in 17 Posts
i've been hearing vanadium to be the next big thing especially in the green energy market. anybody have any insight on this?
t8v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #3607
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts
Where did you hear about it? Honestly, I think nat gas would be the solution to our energy needs. It's cheap and we have lots of it (Canada and US). Plus no hybrid vehicle can haul a 40' trailer. I remember reading on Talisman Energy planning to building a plant that converts nat gas to diesel fuel.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #3608

how do you turn natural gas to diesel?

you can convert diesel motors to run natural gas though
Old 03-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #3609

http://naturalgasforamerica.com/alchemy-natural-gas.htm

Surprisingly it's such an old patented technology.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #3610

damn, that was an interesting read

thank you

i'm definetly going to look into this some more and follow it along
Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 AM   #3611
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Where did you hear about it? Honestly, I think nat gas would be the solution to our energy needs. It's cheap and we have lots of it (Canada and US). Plus no hybrid vehicle can haul a 40' trailer. I remember reading on Talisman Energy planning to building a plant that converts nat gas to diesel fuel.
Natural gas is indeed plentiful and, at the moment, cheap. However, as an investment, it might be a bit late to get into this game. The big lorries will be switching to natural gas within a decade, aided by technology such as our own Vancouver-based Westport Innovations. There is no point in building a big plant and having to offset the costs of converting natural gas to diesel when they can just use natural gas directly. More than 80% of lorries run on preplanned routes, so setting up refuelling stations will not be a problem. What is more, the Natural Gas Act, due to be reintroduced with bipartisan congressional support in April, will give substantial subsidies to lorry operators for switching to natural gas motors. Underlying all of this is the increasing use of hydraulic fracturing technology, even here in BC, that will release huge natural gas reserves and thereby reduce the price of natural gas even further, making the natural gas transition an eventual one.

In short, in about one to two decades, we'll see increasingly use of natural gas for lorries, and electric vehicles for passenger cars. Do your own DD on the commodities this transition will require and place your bets.
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #3612
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by t8v6 View Post
i've been hearing vanadium to be the next big thing especially in the green energy market. anybody have any insight on this?
Vanadium was talked about 3-4 years ago. Currently it is used mostly for hardening steel. Although its price is still cheap on a historical basis, the fact that it can be replaced with other alloying components makes it less attractive an investment than say some rare earth metals (but of course the rare earth train left the station ages ago).
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #3613

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCVTEC View Post
Natural gas is indeed plentiful and, at the moment, cheap. However, as an investment, it might be a bit late to get into this game. The big lorries will be switching to natural gas within a decade, aided by technology such as our own Vancouver-based Westport Innovations. There is no point in building a big plant and having to offset the costs of converting natural gas to diesel when they can just use natural gas directly. More than 80% of lorries run on preplanned routes, so setting up refuelling stations will not be a problem. What is more, the Natural Gas Act, due to be reintroduced with bipartisan congressional support in April, will give substantial subsidies to lorry operators for switching to natural gas motors. Underlying all of this is the increasing use of hydraulic fracturing technology, even here in BC, that will release huge natural gas reserves and thereby reduce the price of natural gas even further, making the natural gas transition an eventual one.

In short, in about one to two decades, we'll see increasingly use of natural gas for lorries, and electric vehicles for passenger cars. Do your own DD on the commodities this transition will require and place your bets.
i don't buy the fact that diesel is going to be phased out completely....even if the local trucks switch to NG (and i doubt most will), the rest of the world is still going to use diesel and always will
Old 03-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #3614

Quote:

That's true for natural gas, it needs support from the congress to make it worth it for truckers or even electric plants. If anyone follows CHK McClendon, it's a two way lobbying battle in Washington between the coal parties and nat gas parties.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #3615

Failed 16 Times in 3 Posts
"COPPER FOX ANNOUNCES FIRST QUARTER 2011 HIGHLIGHTS AND FINANCIAL RESULTS"

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../31/c8227.html

"Future Activities
The Company's primary objective and main focus is to have AMEC complete the Resource Estimate. Wardrop, Knight Piésold and Stantec require the Resource Estimate in order to complete the outstanding portions of the Feasibility Study and the Environmental Assessment Application.

Field activities for the next quarter include environmental studies and a high sensitivity airborne magnetic survey to identify areas of porphyry style copper-gold-molybdenum-silver mineralization. A Titan-24 geophysical system has been retained for a period of one month to complete additional ground geophysical surveys, on targets identified by the airborne magnetic survey or other exploration completed on the property.

The proposed 2011 drilling program is expected to commence in mid-May (subject to weather conditions) to test the zone of higher grade mineralization from the 500m to the 800m level below surface. DDH CF406, which was temporarily suspended in December 2010, would be the first hole completed in 2011.

The proposed 2011 re-sampling and additional diamond drilling does not affect the completion date for the Feasibility Study on the Schaft Creek deposit which is expected by the end of June or early July, 2011."
shawnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #3616

well the resource estimate is still supposed to be due this month (after getting bumped from last month)

i hope that's not delayed any more
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #3617

I would be just happy if they are able to have the feasibility study done by June. Once it's done, the 120 days limit is kicked in for Teck. That's when we get to see whether we keep our 25% interest or more or we get bought out completely.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #3618

well it's not completely...teck max is 75%
Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #3619

^True but I doubt Teck would back in for 75% only.

Currently, CUU has spent $57 million. This is as of Dec. 31 2010.

If Teck buys in, they have to contribute $228 million subsequent expenditures.

If it's 75%, they have to arrange financing for CUU's share too.

CUU's market cap of 700 million or so, I'm pretty confident that Teck would want to buy us out before any other improvements are in place since it will increase the value of CUU even further.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #3620

uh? teck can only buy in for 75%....nothing more

i don't get what you mean re finacing for CUU shares?

how exactly is teck going to "buy us out"....they don't get my shares until i sell them or until CUU sells the company (which they aren't doing with the teck buy back)....teck just get's a 75% stake in the project

correct me if i'm wrong
Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #3621
I don't get it

Failed 40 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:

westport is a great innovative company.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #3622

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
uh? teck can only buy in for 75%....nothing more

i don't get what you mean re finacing for CUU shares?

how exactly is teck going to "buy us out"....they don't get my shares until i sell them or until CUU sells the company (which they aren't doing with the teck buy back)....teck just get's a 75% stake in the project

correct me if i'm wrong
My bad if I explained poorly. This is what i got from CUU website.

Quote:
Teck Option Agreement:

Teck may at any time elect to exercise the earn-back terms and conditions of the Option Agreement.

On receipt of a Positive Bankable Feasibility Study, a defined term in the Option Agreement, Teck has 120 days in which to elect to either: i) exercise one of its earn-back options, or ii) retain a 1% net smelter return royalty, or iii) receive common shares of Copper Fox to a value of $1,000,000.

If Teck elects to exercise its earn-back option pursuant to the Option Agreement, then Teck has the right to elect to acquire either a 20%, a 40% or a 75% working interest in the Schaft Creek Project from Copper Fox by solely funding subsequent expenditures equal to either 100%, 300% or 400% of Copper Fox's prior expenditures pursuant to the Option Agreement. In the event Teck elects to earn-back a 75% working interest in the Schaft Creek Project, Teck will be responsible for arranging Copper Fox's share of project financing and will recover the project financing funds from Copper Fox's share of metal sales until payout is reached.

An example of how the Teck earn-back option works based on the assumption that Teck elects to exercise either 20%, 40% or 75% earn-back is set out below. This example assumes that Copper Fox has incurred a total of $50.0 million of qualifying expenditures pursuant to the Option Agreement at the time Teck makes its election.
Basically, I think it's more worth it for Teck to buy out CUU completely instead just keeping 75% interest or less. Leaving CUU around with a 25% interest on a mine like Schaft Creek will create an opportunity for players to step in or take advantage.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 PM   #3623
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuka84 View Post
westport is a great innovative company.
Westport is indeed a great technology company, and I have several classmates from UBC who are currently working for them and they all say the same thing. What is even better, though, is trading Westport stock. I say that because the SP is both predictable and volatile, which is great if you can stomach the roller coaster rides. I have been actively trading it for nearly a year now and the SP jumps whenever Obama or congress mentions natural gas. It's almost a joke. But right now, at its current market cap of nearly $1B, it looks a bit beyond its fundamentals, so I just sold my position.

Ballard Power looks good though. They just leased some lab space to Daimler, which should reintroduce some creditability. And at a market cap of under $200M, it's dirt cheap. Just their patents alone are worth that.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #3624
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 46 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly View Post
Can't wait for the market to open on Monday, grabbed some EK Apr 3.5 calls on Friday.
Hopefully you sold your calls on Monday....
Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #3625
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Anybody looking at Denison Mines Corp (DML)? Lukas Lundin, of Lundin Mining, just bought more than $600K worth...