REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #4026
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

Failed 23 Times in 8 Posts
oh, i can definitely open it online. its just that ill be in the area tomorrow. it'll be 5 minute drive away, and i got a few questions i wanted to ask them before opening an account up, so i thought id just drop by in person.

ill look into interactive brokers tonight. i heard one other person recommend it to me so far.
Advertisement
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #4027
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 49 Times in 13 Posts
I know RIM is not doing well for a while now, but i think it is totally oversold at the moment. What do you guys think? It is a good company overall with interest of its product overseas and such. A possible long term investment?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #4028
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Although RIM still thrive in emerging markets, I think they have reached a point that they can't outdo themselves.

With all the new stuff going on with Android and iOS, I don't see RIM holding it for much longer if they don't take drastic changes. How many of your friend tell you that they can't leave BB because of BBM? Just having a BBM won't be enough reason to compete with iOS/Android anymore. I have had my share of friends on BB who switched to iOS/Android after discovering Whatsapp.

And its executive team isn't recognizing this fact and its structure is simply wrong (co-ceo? really?). I would probably short RIM on a visible horizon.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #4029
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 78 Times in 28 Posts
Haven't been following this thread too closely...but any opinion on LUN?

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #4030
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
and cuu is shitting it self again
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #4031
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
and cuu is shitting it self again
its a jnr mine - they fluctuate heavily - deal with it!

teck is down 4% today... commodities are down, if u believe in the company, just let the ups and downs roll
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #4032

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts
^Well as least it gives ppl who missed out on the $2 level a price entry point.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #4033
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
I know RIM is not doing well for a while now, but i think it is totally oversold at the moment. What do you guys think? It is a good company overall with interest of its product overseas and such. A possible long term investment?
No because the people up top are retards, they are so half assed at developing an app platform and a good OS. It wouldn't be good long term unless they fix their direction, you can't just keep marketing BBM for the next 3 years and expect to keep up, the market will annihilate BB if they keep going down this path.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #4034
I don't get it

Failed 40 Times in 9 Posts
there's no material change in the overall economy. We all knew the job prospects are bad in the USA and it will continue to falter in the near future. The stock markets have been roaring over the past year.

The current prices for mining companies represent a great buy opportunity. Look at the companies with a defined reserves and buy on the dips, companies like Ivanhoe and Novagold. You know the mining giants will circle for a potential buyout and there's no way management can recommend it without a big premium over their highest stock price over the past 6 months.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #4035
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
RIM and analysts always preach the fact their phones are doing great catering to the business community in emerging markets. Have you traveled overseas? Look at the phones people carry on the planes. Everyone is either carrying an android phone or iphone. The security feature on the bb is now outdated as you can kill the iphone and android phone remotely. BBM has been replaced with a host of applications that do the same thing. RIM will go the way of Nortel without a white knight coming to the table. It's already on the path to join Palm. It's only oversold if you look at past history as a indication of future performance whereby it was on a tear at the height of 2008 and you doubled your money buying at the low of 2008 and selling in 2009.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #4036
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post
Haven't been following this thread too closely...but any opinion on LUN?
stay out of lundin. they announced they were in talks to a chinese consortium. Companies generally announce they are in play after the buyer submits the proper documents, you don't want to announce your company is in play without solid evidence as this information is usually kept hush hush. The current run up in their stock price based on speculation by the overall market will drive any potential buyer away.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #4037

thanks for the input guys
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #4038
lol
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 24 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
its a jnr mine - they fluctuate heavily - deal with it!

teck is down 4% today... commodities are down, if u believe in the company, just let the ups and downs roll
If you have that type of motto in your head, you're just going to lose money. Especially if your goal is set out to trade short term. If this guy is trading long term then yea by all means. But imo, people get too attached to their stocks and fall in love with them.. and when they start to dive for other reasons, traders stop using their brain and go with their heart.

Is everyone in here basically a fundamental trader? or are there any techs out there?
lol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #4039

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 210 Times in 55 Posts
cuu - steady climb much better than huge pops, liking it
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #4040
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 78 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuka84 View Post
stay out of lundin. they announced they were in talks to a chinese consortium. Companies generally announce they are in play after the buyer submits the proper documents, you don't want to announce your company is in play without solid evidence as this information is usually kept hush hush. The current run up in their stock price based on speculation by the overall market will drive any potential buyer away.
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
If you have that type of motto in your head, you're just going to lose money. Especially if your goal is set out to trade short term. If this guy is trading long term then yea by all means. But imo, people get too attached to their stocks and fall in love with them.. and when they start to dive for other reasons, traders stop using their brain and go with their heart.
Truth. Long-term wise it's definitely MORE beneficial to ignore short-term ups and downs, especially if you're partly in that stock for the dividends.

I am getting into technical analysis, but I'm still a noob...what are you guys using for charts/research? HSBC sucks donkey balls with charts

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #4041

CUU - pretty good trade for ppl who bought this morning.

Quote:

Is everyone in here basically a fundamental trader? or are there any techs out there?
True but it depends on what stock you're holding on to. What is your strategy for this investment? Day trade the fuck out of it or just a long term investment?

I mentioned how I'm holding on to Citi, I've watched it go from $45 after the reverse split and drop to $41.80 in 3-4 days. Yeah, hindsight I should've sold and buy now. But my strategy was to buy this early and hold it till 2012 when the earnings will being to come in and dividends/stock buybacks will be reinstated.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #4042

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:

its a long term investment, and long term the outlook for teck's growth is awesome. i don't love the stock, i love what they are doing going forward, copper, coal, and oil in the coming years... 3 things that are, and will continue to be in high demand going forward, as well as being in limited supply - add to that a modest dividend, and i think yesterday's prices were a steal

as part of a diversified portfolio, having a large cap, commodity name, which has great continued growth prospects both organically and through acquisitions (look at their cash balance), especially one that pays dividends, is definitely a wise idea

and don't "buy and hold", but i buy and revaluate, and for hte next couple of years, as we continue with world economic growth, teck is, and will continue to be a good name to be in
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #4043
I don't get it

Failed 198 Times in 44 Posts
Just close my account with qtrade. Their chart system is just terribad though their rates are decent . Anyone know of a good brokerage to use and has a decent platform ? I use td bank but their trades are 30 bucks if u don't meet the trades / equity requirements . Is CIBC any good ? Thanks .
Posted via RS Mobile
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #4044
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 9 Posts
So.... if CUU gets bought out a nice premium say $5+, hoping vette350 and some of guys here will throw a party like this

http://twitpic.com/4wqv5j/full
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #4045

^ Fuck that, im going to Spearmint Rhinos/Sapphire. lol
Old 05-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #4046
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 53 Times in 19 Posts
with cibc if anyone in the household you have linked to your account has over 100k in debit or savings or anything with the bank you receive 6.75 per trade. i still have my cibc linked to my moms house and i am able to get the rates
classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #4047

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 210 Times in 55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
Just close my account with qtrade. Their chart system is just terribad though their rates are decent . Anyone know of a good brokerage to use and has a decent platform ? I use td bank but their trades are 30 bucks if u don't meet the trades / equity requirements . Is CIBC any good ? Thanks .
Posted via RS Mobile
DO NOT TOUCH CIBC with a 10 foot pool, you will want to slice your wrists..... im lovin BMO investor line right now =) $10 trades and the platform is great!
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #4048
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazn View Post
Thanks for the input.

Truth. Long-term wise it's definitely MORE beneficial to ignore short-term ups and downs, especially if you're partly in that stock for the dividends.

I am getting into technical analysis, but I'm still a noob...what are you guys using for charts/research? HSBC sucks donkey balls with charts
for charts www.bigcharts.com is good
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #4049

strykn, you are getting only $10 because you meet the asset requirements. Regular BMO is 29$ a trade still.

I heard Quest Trade or I-trade was good with low commission rates, i don't know anything about their charts though.

Currently, i am using TD and i am getting hit with the commission
Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #4050
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 9 Posts
Anybody planning to go to the CUU AGM next Tuesday?
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote