REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #4951
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 4,294,967,295 Times in 173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse_x View Post
Read, read, and read.

Everyone's opinions will be different for what to and what not to invest in. That's the beauty of economics. Really, the best thing to do is just research and educate yourself. Try a simulator and trade as if it were your own money. Learn by doing.
Heard yahoo is actually a good source for stock ?
Advertisement
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #4952
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 71 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
so i dont know stock one bit but willing to learn.

what do you guys suggest i do first ? should i be touching penny stock at all ?

i dont have much, only budget myself $1k to 1.5k max to play with.. is this a good starting budget ?
don't get greedy is my advice to you. don't buy just because other people are bullish on it. Do your own due diligence and get caught up in the financial news and see how different industries are being effected by the economy. Different stocks have different valuation methods so I would start by learning those. Personally I would start with blue chip stocks as they are less prone to volatile swings in pricing. As for penny stocks, they are more volatile and more speculative, and some are also very high controlled by majority shareholders or market makers. I would read up on technical analysis as penny stocks don't always follow fundamental valuations. Learn to use charts and statistical markers. Try freestockcharts.com. Good luck.
t8v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #4953
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 49 Times in 13 Posts
try Investopedia

Investopedia.com - Your Source For Investing Education

you get the knowledge of what you want and learn the basics through this site, from there on, read some books you on more advanced knowledge etc, and move on from there. Don't jump the gun

Penny is definitely not a good place to start. Especially with your budget since its a very volatile.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #4954
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 127 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:

i dont have much, only budget myself $1k to 1.5k max to play with.. is this a good starting budget ?
I would say your budget it a bit low. A typical trade's commission is like $10 and that would be 1% of your capital if it is lets say $1000. Just know that in trading bulls make money, bears make money, hogs gets slaughtered. If you don't know who the hogs are then it's probably you. Wall Street needs a new batch of idiots every day so they can make their ends meet. I don't want to scare you but the whole system is designed for you to fail. Only the selective few makes it big. That's why 99.5% of population out there work "real jobs" and do not trade because it is simply too damn hard for them.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #4955
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 26 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
I would say your budget it a bit low. A typical trade's commission is like $10 and that would be 1% of your capital if it is lets say $1000. Just know that in trading bulls make money, bears make money, hogs gets slaughtered. If you don't know who the hogs are then it's probably you. Wall Street needs a new batch of idiots every day so they can make their ends meet. I don't want to scare you but the whole system is designed for you to fail. Only the selective few makes it big. That's why 99.5% of population out there work "real jobs" and do not trade because it is simply too damn hard for them.
Everyone has to start somewhere. He said he's willing to learn.

So really, I'd say keep reading, and trade with a simulator. At the start, I suggest you treat it as your own money (I think most simulators give you ~$100k in "pretend" money.) You'll learn how hard it is to work with only $1000-$1500.

Then once you start understanding the concepts more, start playing with more "pretend" money as if you just took out a loan at the bank.

You'll learn more doing this than anything else. This will force you to read, research, and understand more.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #4956
PJ

Quote:
Heard yahoo is actually a good source for stock ?
I like to use Yahoo, but there's tons of different sources with real-time.. if that's what you're talking about.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #4957
PJ

Don't know if this is a repost, but this is pretty inspiring.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #4958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse_x View Post
Everyone has to start somewhere. He said he's willing to learn.

So really, I'd say keep reading, and trade with a simulator. At the start, I suggest you treat it as your own money (I think most simulators give you ~$100k in "pretend" money.) You'll learn how hard it is to work with only $1000-$1500.

Then once you start understanding the concepts more, start playing with more "pretend" money as if you just took out a loan at the bank.

You'll learn more doing this than anything else. This will force you to read, research, and understand more.
I wasn't trying to discourage him or anything. But I spend $4000 building a top of the line system this year with a few LCD monitors throw in there. When you have such limited resource it hard to see somebody get very successful. The sad truth is you need money to make money.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #4959
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
I wasn't trying to discourage him or anything. But I spend $4000 building a top of the line system this year with a few LCD monitors throw in there. When you have such limited resource it hard to see somebody get very successful. The sad truth is you need money to make money.
WTF does someone need a 4000 top of the line system for?
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #4960

Without the monitors it was close to $2800. I might as well get the best so I don't have to upgrade in awhile.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #4961
PJ

Quote:
The sad truth is you need money to make money.
Very, very, true..

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #4962
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Bahaha... my friend is raging on his MSN status... he just sold MMI at 6% loss last week.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #4963

Sino-Forest Investigation Extended

By BEN DUMMETT

Sino-Forest Corp. said Monday that the independent committee looking into allegations of questionable accounting practices at the company will likely take longer than initially expected to complete the report due to data-collection challenges.

Sino-Forest saw its stock take a beating in early June, when allegations of questionable accounting by U.S.-based short seller Muddy Waters LLC surfaced. Sino-Forest denied the allegations, including that it fraudulently exaggerated its tree-plantation assets.

Sino-Forest set up an independent committee to look into the Muddy Waters claims. Initially, the committee said the review would take at least two to three months, but the company said in its second-quarter earnings release it now expects the process to be completed before the end of December.

Some investors appear to be betting the review could be favorable for Sino-Forest.

Sino-Forest's stock had traded at around 18 Canadian dollars (US$18.34) prior to Muddy Waters releasing its report. After the report, it dropped as low as C$2, but is currently trading around C$6.78. Singapore-based Richard Chandler Corp. has been one of the biggest buyers of Sino-Forest stock, with the private investment group now owning an 18% stake.

Sino-Forest said second-quarter net income was $447 million, or $1.64 a share. Revenue rose 6.3% to more than $317 million.

The beleaguered forestry company, which operates in China but is listed in Canada, posted a big jump in second-quarter net earnings due to a hefty noncash accounting gain. Excluding changes in the fair value of financial instruments, it swung to a loss of $9.8 million in the quarter on such factors as higher costs and a drop in gross profit margin in its plantation fiber operations.

Sino-Forest Chief Executive Allen Chan said in a statement that management is focused on maintaining operations and supporting the investigation.

--Carolyn King in Toronto contributed to this article.

OUCH!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #4964
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Do you mind if I ask what do you have in your system? softwares?

Carl is right though, 1K-1.5K isn't really enough to start. You might end up losing some and losing your confidence in investing all together which is worse.

Greenstoner - I say start of with understanding the basics of the financial markets. Like you need to know pretty much what a stock is and all.

Then maybe go into fundamentals. IMO this is what investing is all about. It is to build wealth. We are all young here so sure RISK it and GAMBLE our money to build a nest as big and as fast as we can. But when we all have families or being to get older...our income from our careers will limit our chances of risking our monies. (unless you're powered by daddy money). So that's when you need to rely on fundamentals and understand a company well enough that's it's a worthy company for you to put your money and you know you will get the dividends you deserve.

Once you have the grasp of the basics/fundamentals...you can expand to other tools of the financial markets...bonds/options/technical analysis / day trading / penny stocks / futures...

But I would strongly recommend to learn your fundamentals. (like the black kid in the video. LOL).
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #4965
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
opl's been on a tear lately..
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #4966
PJ

Opened my portfolio this morning and saw a lot of red.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #4967

BCG update

BCGold Corp. Announces Trench Assays Up to 979 g/t Gold and Prepares to Commence Milling at Engineer Gold Mine - MarketWatch
Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #4968

watch that one pop tomorrow morning....maybe put a sell for some cuu and pick up bcg at market at open??
Old 08-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #4969
I don't get it

Failed 198 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:

No its not a good starting budget, but its good enough to get a feel. I signed up qtrade a year or two back with only 1k and I earned a a bit of money and cashed out. Definitely not millionaire but I gained experience. You don't necessarily have to trade stocks, look up options as well. Couple of my friends have had some luck with gold / silver options using only $700-$900 and gaining near doubles in short term. GL my advice is read read read. Don't let your emotions take over control when you first buy but... easy to say hard to do . Live & Learn.
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #4970

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
watch that one pop tomorrow morning....maybe put a sell for some cuu and pick up bcg at market at open??

quick 50% at the open
Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #4971

Would've been a good trade. Did you buy any at the lows?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #4972

nope didn't get any
Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #4973
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 170 Times in 63 Posts
gold is nearing 1810

hope it pulls silver alongwith for the ride..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #4974

ahh bcg, you break my heart.....
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #4975
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
stock market is being politically run atm...so many good buys wish i had some monies $$$
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote