REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #5626
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Slovak Parliament Approves EFSF Fund In Repeat Vote
Advertisement
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #5627
I don't get it

cash out time!! lol. i dunno.....

goog call anyone?
Posted via RS Mobile
lime56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #5628

Google's Eric Schmidt sold shares yesterday or Tuesday I believe, FWIW.
I also recall him doing that before recently
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #5629

GOOG

GOOG - Google reports $9.72 vs $8.74; Revenues $7.51 vs $7.2B
Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #5630
I don't get it

earnings werent stellar and stock pops

be interesting to see if goodie tech or baddie financials lead tomorrow mkt action
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #5631
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Judging by after hours trading, financials look like they will be down again tommorrow

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #5632

Market and Apple are up cause Siri told iPhone 4S users to buy buy buy
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #5633
Banned (ABWS)

^AAPL shares are the only reason my portfolio is positive this year, lol
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #5634
SiRVs up, dude

^on a brighter note our POT shares are back to where we started a couple weeks ago
Posted via RS Mobile
SiRV is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #5635
Banned (ABWS)

Hooray, lol
Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #5636
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
GOOG is an odd cat - just b/c it beats and doesn't disappoint in view doesn't mean it will pop - it beats A LOT, but not always followed by a run up.

i'd imagine this pop was because people have already priced in another recession (which i still think is crazy) - IF earnings/outlook of good companies are solid, i think we'll see a disproportionate jump, assuming europe continues on this same route. I also believe GOOD companies (not your BAC's or other garbage) will have a plenty fine quarter, as expectations have been decreased, yet these companies are incredibly well run (i only invest in well run companies - why buy $10 worth of fast food burger, when you can buy $10 of ny strip?), and are lean compared to pre-2008, and I would imagine are more agile to handle changes in the economy. i also don't think they'll be too hugely effected by the current world situation - china is still growing, europe is slowing, yes, but not recession, and it takes time for slowdowns to take effect.

for the record, i still love deere right now! want to increase my holdings in that... all in due time
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #5637
I don't get it

if i see ur posts say 'i invest in well run companies' one more time, im gonna report u to the SEC. lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #5638

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime56 View Post
if i see ur posts say 'i invest in well run companies' one more time, im gonna report u to the SEC. lol
Posted via RS Mobile
this is the thing i see all the time, ppl just invest in dumb companies.

i know this isn't such a great compariosn now as ppl may invest in RIM for takeover speculation, BUT why would one have bought RIM at $60 or so a couple months ago vs. AAPL at $330-350ish

it sounds so simple, yet so many still hold RIM, or other equally dumb companies to hold
Old 10-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #5639
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
this is the thing i see all the time, ppl just invest in dumb companies.

i know this isn't such a great compariosn now as ppl may invest in RIM for takeover speculation, BUT why would one have bought RIM at $60 or so a couple months ago vs. AAPL at $330-350ish

it sounds so simple, yet so many still hold RIM, or other equally dumb companies to hold
+1
Old 10-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #5640
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
GOOG is an odd cat - just b/c it beats and doesn't disappoint in view doesn't mean it will pop - it beats A LOT, but not always followed by a run up.

i'd imagine this pop was because people have already priced in another recession (which i still think is crazy) - IF earnings/outlook of good companies are solid, i think we'll see a disproportionate jump, assuming europe continues on this same route. I also believe GOOD companies (not your BAC's or other garbage) will have a plenty fine quarter, as expectations have been decreased, yet these companies are incredibly well run (i only invest in well run companies - why buy $10 worth of fast food burger, when you can buy $10 of ny strip?), and are lean compared to pre-2008, and I would imagine are more agile to handle changes in the economy. i also don't think they'll be too hugely effected by the current world situation - china is still growing, europe is slowing, yes, but not recession, and it takes time for slowdowns to take effect.

for the record, i still love deere right now! want to increase my holdings in that... all in due time
well said. and i'll give you credit for sticking to your bullish thesis in the face of market stress 2 weeks ago.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #5641
I don't get it

still looking for short entries........
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #5642
Banned (ABWS)

China makes 'secret eurozone commitment' - Yahoo! News

"..China has made a "secret commitment" to prop up the crisis-hit eurozone in return for budget reforms and public sector cuts, the Sunday Times reported, amid ongoing turmoil over the region's debt crisis.

The paper said Chinese representatives at the Paris G20 finance gathering on Saturday had indicated that Beijing was willing to pump tens of billions into the eurozone to purchase infrastructure assets from debt-plagued nations.

The Sunday Times, which quoted a source close to the talks, added that Chinese banks could also increase their purchases of eurozone sovereign debt.

"China wants to be sure that Europe knows the size of the hole and that it won't get any bigger before they agree to fill it in," the paper quoted the source as saying.

Europe had vowed to its G20 partners Saturday that it would take swift and decisive action to resolve a debt crisis that is threatening to drag the world economy back into recession.

French Finance Minister Francois Baroin, speaking after the meeting of G20 finance ministers and central bankers, said the eurozone would present answers as soon as next weekend, at a summit of EU leaders in Brussels on October 23.

..."
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #5643
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

so china is continuing it's steps to buy up the world....scary place
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #5644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
well said. and i'll give you credit for sticking to your bullish thesis in the face of market stress 2 weeks ago.
i wouldn't say i'm fully "bullish" - but i don't believe we're in as bearish of a sitauation as the media was going on and on and on about.

we're still growing (and hopefully Q3 results this week will continue to show that) - hte media pisses me off, they're bipolar, they get on one side and run with it to the extreme (recession case in the last 2 months or so) - will they be all bullish now if Q3 results are good? i'd imagine yes, but i don't think that's the correct call - we're slowly muddling along, but we NEED to get rid of this high unemployment, we need to tighten belts and work hard, we need to up the maunfacturing capabilities in north america through use of technological advances/ridding ourselves of demands of uneducated ppl expecting to live a middle class life (a person born into a western country isn't born into the middle class, but they have great ability to become middle or even upper class through hard work, education, etc - but this is a seperate rant)

europe will sort itself out, as they can - 2008 was different, we couldn't really prevent that (again due to greed, lack of regulation, etc)- having said that, we are effectively kicking the can a long way down the road, there will be problems later on in europe related to this, but it will be a lot less bad than if we let it all blow up now, so on a net basis, we will be better off

and don't get me wrong, just because i'm more bullish doens't mean jack - i've held all my holdings throughout this down and up...i didn't see a need to sell, and given that i invest for the very long term (year to years), it is what it is - i wish i had more spare cash, as i would have picked up more bargains (oh the bargains that were out there) - having said that, we're not out of hte woods yet, this could all blow up in my face, and so be it... Q3 results, for starters will be HUGE... the continuation of European bank recapitalization will be the second stage

interesting times, for sure
Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #5645

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime56 View Post
still looking for short entries........
RIM - with how my berry keeps on f'ing up and even just looking around at friends & colleagues EVERYONE has either stepped away from berries in favour of (mostly) iphone or androids, or are just waiting for their contract to be over to do the switch.

whilst they're still making money, they are truly a new nokia - the only risk on this trade (and the reason I personally won't do it) is that if they get bought out for their IP or for whatever reason, you'd be in a world of hurt - having said that, i can't see who would buy RIM - microsoft are in with nokia, and i'm not sure who else would have hte need for RIM, their IP, and products...

RIM don't deserve to be in business based on what their competitors are doing (maybe this shows personal feelings are affecting my judgement!)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #5646
I don't get it

what happen to china's motto???
i break i cry, u break u buy?

help pay for euro?? hehe
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #5647

For option players, try putting in a low ball (i.e. at the closing or a bit more) bid for EP $20 calls, might get lucky.

They are getting bought by Kinder Morgan for 21 billion, ~35% premium over the market cap close on Friday
Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #5648
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Wonder how much they're gonna pump the market before crashing it again
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #5649

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
For option players, try putting in a low ball (i.e. at the closing or a bit more) bid for EP $20 calls, might get lucky.

They are getting bought by Kinder Morgan for 21 billion, ~35% premium over the market cap close on Friday
how would this work? the price tomorrow will go to the purchase price, and that's it, there's no money to be made here, unless you held El Paso's stock at close on Friday, no?
Old 10-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #5650

You'd be surprised how sometimes there'll be an ask that's still left on/active cause the person isn't aware of the news. You'd just have to hit their ask or even better to get filled. Seen this many times especially when Chinese stocks get slammed on fraud accusations.
This post thanked by: