REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #7076
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Failed 407 Times in 100 Posts
I would have already impulsively bought it but I'm tapped. Changed my mind again and bought 15k shares in HBK.

Not sure why buddy got his panties in a bunch about what stocks I buy for ME. Weird.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #7077
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
I would have already impulsively bought it but I'm tapped. Changed my mind again and bought 15k shares in HBK.

Not sure why buddy got his panties in a bunch about what stocks I buy for ME. Weird.
Posted via RS Mobile
I know, I don't post in this thread.

I don't have enough experience to build much on what Strykn, Jason and Mark post. I have been investing relatively casually with smallish amounts for five years, since I was nineteen. I religiously read this thread though, because there is some great advice given out in it, and honestly, your posts have stood out a bit, Ice.

I agree with Sky_High, I think your current approach of making impulse purchases based on what other people in this thread are buying will not result in long term success. It is almost certainly not an approach that will make you rich, as you stated was your goal a few pages back. My panties aren't in a bunch, you could light cigars with hundred dollar bills for all I care, it's your money. It's just a bit of constructive criticism from someone with possibly slightly more, although admittedly also limited experience.

How many stocks are you currently holding?
The importance of diversification is often lost on new investors, holding only one or two stocks magnifies overall risk exponentially, something to consider.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #7078
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

I don't have enough experience to build much on what Strykn, Jason and Mark post. I have been investing relatively casually with smallish amounts for five years, since I was nineteen. I religiously read this thread though, because there is some great advice given out in it, and honestly, your posts have stood out a bit, Ice.

I agree with Sky_High, I think your current approach of making impulse purchases based on what other people in this thread are buying will not result in long term success. It is almost certainly not an approach that will make you rich, as you stated was your goal a few pages back. My panties aren't in a bunch, you could light cigars with hundred dollar bills for all I care, it's your money. It's just a bit of constructive criticism from someone with possibly slightly more, although admittedly also limited experience.

The importance of diversification is often lost on new investors, holding only one or two stocks magnifies overall risk exponentially, something to consider.
its not just that, its that the posts are in too much volume and say nothing, other than 'i just bought what so and so said he bought' - great, we all buy what we want and all suggest stocks we like/looking at - if you are just going to buy other ppl's recommendations, do it without posting, unless you have some valid input based on dd.... which, as others have pointed out, appears to be a missing link
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #7079
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 9 Posts
Twitter chatter can help predict stock prices, study suggests - The Globe and Mail
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #7080
SiRVs up, dude

Failed 31 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
If a market cap of a stock is say, 2 million, a fair value stock price should be around .20 a share correct? Or am I way off base?
Posted via RS Mobile
.. perfect timing for all the posts re: Iceman. Just catching up on the reading on this thread and.. Sorry, but for posting so much in this thread, I would have assumed the answer to this is kind of common -baseline- knowledge
Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #7081
Wanna have a threesome?

^
I agree.

Quote:
Cancelled my YNG order, put in an order of NZ @ 3.03, see what happens.
Posted via RS Mobile
I must admit, I was a bit dumbfounded reading this post on the last page.

Canceling an order and placing a new one based on three brief sentences by, Mark. It takes a special type of person to make such significant financial decisions so casually, it's like playing high stakes poker.

There is a very successful proprietary computer program that predicts stock prices based on general internet chatter. I forget what specific firm owns the software, I heard about it on Lang & O'Leary, I think. If you look at the strategy in the very specific cases of AAPL and GOOG, it would seem that an increase in chatter does correspond to a rising share price.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-22-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #7082
Old School RS

Thanked 4,034 Times in 1,228 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
I post my thoughts and moves to discuss them with others but I am not so successful or experienced that they should be mirrored without any cause for alarm. I hope everybody does their own due diligence - I got caught by the "CLL fever", much of which is from this board and jumped in before doing enough homework of my own and now am regretting that on a daily basis.

Iceman, obviously I believe in what I post but please, don't commit your own capital based solely on my opinion... my opinion is sketchy enough for one person's fund, let alone two

Mark
Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #7083
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Failed 439 Times in 100 Posts
market is so fucking dead, i expect it to be the same next week too as this is year end for most. lets hope april brings a better market =]
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #7084
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

It was more in the way he went about it. I appreciate what you said, and I know it's not a long term winning strategy. I have short term goals for the time being. I work full time making more then enough to support myself, so this is all just play money. I have less than 10k in stocks right now, I could lose it all today and have it all back comfortably in a few months. I'm learning as I go, albeit slowly, but learning none the less. I currently only hold 2 stocks, but plan on diversifying quite a bit in the near future. It's a live and learn deal. I don't mind playing it risky.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #7085
Banned By Establishment

Lol, this Is something else. I feel like I am being lectured by my parents for breaking a rule. I didn't know chatting on a message board was against the rules. As for the decisions I make, yup, pretty impulse. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. I'm done defending myself, think what you want, post what you want.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #7086
Old School RS

Hey man, I'm not lecturing you, I'm just making sure I can quote myself at a future date to say "I TOLD YOU I'M CRAZY!" when I post some boneheaded thing I do and we lose all our money haha.

Mark
Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #7087
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Failed 1,065 Times in 267 Posts
How's CUU doing these days?
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #7088
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Hey man, I'm not lecturing you, I'm just making sure I can quote myself at a future date to say "I TOLD YOU I'M CRAZY!" when I post some boneheaded thing I do and we lose all our money haha.

Mark
I started on 1 stock, sold for profit, now I have moved into 2. I still say I will make a profit on CLL, I am willing to wait. Wish I had more funds to play with but I will wait it out. Im learning as I go. I dove in head first and went with it. Sorry for being excited about it, but its new to me and I enjoy the excitement. Its REALLY fucking boring up here most days, this is about the only enjoyment I get out of most days. Other then fucking with labourers or operators.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #7089

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Failed 291 Times in 102 Posts
LOL holy people, take it easy on the noob, he won't learn if he doesn't experience.

Yeah wait to bring up CUU :s Lot's of people on here got romantic with that one.

CLL isn't in bad shape, it's holding up pretty well right now, commodities have been soft, Iran got quiet, delta between WTI and Canadian Bitumen grew about 20$/BBL in late January... so all in all... it's hanging in there alright. Financials didn't help and also did not provide shareholders the disclosure they are entitled to... that kind of thing makes me want to pull out.

It's up to any investor to determine their risk levels, no doubt there is far more and far less risky plays than CLL, but at this point, expecting even say a double to 2$/share within say 1-2 months.. I don't know how bad I want to hold onto it. I really think there is a lot of good buys out there right now, and that's what makes holding CLL hard.. to me it's not the fear of the stock dropping and the company going broke.. it's more the fear of WFC pulling some sneaky shit and selling the company for <1.50/share while I hold it for months and months. Possibly into a down-turning market.

Mehhh... We shall see, I'm fairly well diversified in various oil/gas producers, service providers, gold miners, uranium.. but that leaves me too tied to commodities.. but with econominc recovery and a run up with banks/tech/medical/etc additional pressure will be put on resources.. it just might be that commodities lag other sectors.

I need to spread some money into banking, BAC looks better and better everyday... Hopefully we can see a year where a lot of money leaves the bond market and gets back into equities, with yields as low as they are, you can expect that to happen shortly I would think.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #7090
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:

Mark
Don't worry, I'll probably quietly listen to you as well and we'll all be broke. The three of us can watch the MIT blackjack team documentary a couple dozen times, form a RS card counting team, fly to Vegas and win it all back. When we get put in the "Griffen" book, we can fly to Monte Carlo.

and on an actual serious note..
Does anyone have any thoughts on VGQ?
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #7091

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
How's CUU doing these days?
Posted via RS Mobile
CUU is terribly managed but the resource is worth a LOT more than what that stock is trading at. There will definitely be some big gains on that one, just that the date of expected profit is getting pushed back, and back, and back by mismanagement of this & the completion of the PFS

Painful, but a world class asset in a world class mining area (BC, from a geopolitical perspective), with full government support.

I would advice anyone and everyone to buy into some as a spec play, with a 12 month expected hold period... all bets are off, though, if the NDP were to ever get into power, they'll f BC up royally

if ppl got in b/c of 'romance' they're idiots - the numbers and drill results don't and aren't lying on this one, all teh right things are coming out including te right governmental decisions
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #7092
SiRVs up, dude

.. thinking of selling my POT soon, also a relatively flat mover over the last few months. Should have really stuck in with my initial intuition on BAC.. I think I bought that one at 4.80 and wanted to hold only to sell at around 5.8x ... argh...

Will probably wait till later in the year to buy some NYSEIA, the ETF that tracks the DJI pretty well.. maybe load up on some FAZ if it ever hits 10$ ..harhar
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #7093
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 76 Times in 29 Posts
The only stock I purchased that I got or were persuaded by this thread is YNG. . . and I got it for avg price of $.34

It's weird, cause I also hold CLL and CUU which have been heavily discussed on this board. Right now my avg cost for CLL and CUU is below the current market price. But because of that I'm willing to hold on cause I really believe something will be there. I know my buddies are telling me to take my small gains and dump these piece of shiet poorly managed companies, but sometimes you just have to be patient. The downside risk isnt that great compared to the potential rewards, its a trade off I'm willing to make.

Surprisingly and unexpectedly (as in the % amount of appreciation), most of my profits this year have been from buying, holding and selling US banks.

Edit: BTW The discussions of CLL and CUU is what made me pay attention to this thread more since I wanted to see what other peeps think of it. One thing to note, people should do their own due diligence and not solely rely on what others say on this board.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #7094

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Failed 291 Times in 102 Posts
Looks to me like the start of a rally... hopefully we end the day nice and green.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #7095

LOL Flash crash

Apple $AAPL halted after trade at $542.80.....
Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #7096
SiRVs up, dude

I don't see it reflected on the chart for some reason...?
SiRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #7097
Old School RS

Apple Flash Crash: Stock Halted After Trade Causes 9% Plunge

I don't really get it though... even if somebody agreed to sell at $548, there would have been tons of buyers way above that price so how do the shares actually get transacted at that price?

Mark
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #7098
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 46 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
LOL Flash crash

Apple $AAPL halted after trade at $542.80.....
haha, I got the alert this morning. I had a 580 alert. I was like wtf ? lol
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #7099

Quote:
Apple Flash Crash: Stock Halted After Trade Causes 9% Plunge

I don't really get it though... even if somebody agreed to sell at $548, there would have been tons of buyers way above that price so how do the shares actually get transacted at that price?

Mark

HFT and misprint. Trades got cancelled most likely.

Edit.... BATS dun goof'd

Last edited by shawnly1000; 03-23-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #7100
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 105 Posts
Have anyone else been keeping an eye on PCLN?
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote