REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #7226
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
WTF is going on with NZ... the only news out is from a company close by and it's good news, the price of oil is up, and yet they are down 10% from Friday's close?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Too funny, I was just reflecting on NZ, and the 19% loss I am sitting on.
Spoiler!

I wonder what Iceman-19 thinks now :noob:
Advertisement
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #7227
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
Spoiler!

I wonder what Iceman-19 thinks now :noob:
I didn't buy NZ.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #7228
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
I didn't buy NZ.
Order didn't fill?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #7229
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Never filled one to begin with, not that it's any of your business!
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #7230
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Does anyone know if covered calls/puts writing is allowed in a TFSA account? If so, it'd be a pretty conservative way to generate tax free income/grow your TFSA contribution space.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #7231
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Does anyone know if covered calls/puts writing is allowed in a TFSA account? If so, it'd be a pretty conservative way to generate tax free income/grow your TFSA contribution space.
You can't.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #7232

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
New Zealand Energy news:

New Zealand Energy Corp - News & Events - News Releases - News Releases Details

Quote:
Copper Moki Production Update

CM-1 has been flowing from natural reservoir pressure since December 10, 2011 and has produced more than 62,000 barrels of oil since it was first tested in August 2011. Production rates have averaged 452 bbl/d and 1,052 mcf/d(1) since commencing continuous production in December 2011. Over the last 30 days, CM-1 has produced at an average rate of 377 bbl/d and 1,410 mcf/d(1) through a 24/64th inch choke.

CM-2 flowed 14,825 barrels of oil and 15,352 mcf of natural gas(1) during a 16-day flow test in February and was subsequently shut-in for pressure build-up. NZEC initiated continuous production from CM-2 on April 1, 2012. The well is currently producing from natural reservoir pressure out of the Mt. Messenger formation at an average rate of 700 bbl/d and 850 mcf/d(1) through a 22/64th inch choke. The CM-2 well encountered 12 metres of net pay in the Mt. Messenger formation, which is comparable to CM-1.

Current Company production is approx. 1,000 bbl/d and approx. 2,050 mcf/d(1), exclusively from CM-1 and CM-2. The wells are producing 41.8 degrees oil that is trucked to the Shell-operated Omata tank farm and sold at Brent pricing, resulting in a field netback of approx. US$90/barrel. Natural gas and associated natural gas liquids are currently being flared until the Company completes a 2.6-km pipeline and associated production and sales agreements, with the pipeline scheduled for completion by the end of Q2-2012. NZEC has chosen to choke back its production wells to conserve the value of its natural gas and associated natural gas liquids.

(1) Natural gas and associated natural gas liquids are currently being flared until the Company completes a 2.6-km pipeline and associated production and sales agreements, with the pipeline scheduled for completion by the end of Q2-2012.

Exploration Update

CM-3 reached target depth at 3,167 metres in mid-March and is the Company's first well drilled through to NZEC's deeper exploration target, the Moki formation. After evaluation, the Company identified 12 metres of net pay within the Mt. Messenger formation and 15 metres of net pay within the Moki formation.

NZEC commenced drilling CM-4 on March 28, 2012 from the Copper Moki pad, targeting both the Urenui and Mt. Messenger formations. NZEC reached target depth of 2,125 metres on April 10, 2012, and is currently evaluating open hole logs.

The Company elected not to evaluate CM-3 with the drilling rig in order to exercise the option under the rig contract to drill CM-4 within the allotted period of time. A service rig is available and is expected to commence completion of CM-3 within the next two weeks, once the drill rig on CM-4 is removed. Since CM-3 is NZEC's first well to be drilled to the Moki formation, the Company plans to thoroughly evaluate the characteristics of the formation in order to guide its exploration strategy for future Moki targets. Upon perforation, NZEC's technical team will determine if the formation flows naturally. If further stimulation is required, additional time will be needed to allow for a comprehensive evaluation of the Moki formation. Once the Moki formation is fully evaluated the Company will determine whether the Mt. Messenger formation will be tested in CM-3 or evaluated through an additional well.

NZEC reiterates corporate production guidance of 3,000 boe/d by year-end 2012.

The Company had previously allocated funds to drill six Mt. Messenger exploration wells in the Taranaki Basin in the second half of 2012. NZEC will provide additional details regarding its 2012 capital program for both the Taranaki Basin and the East Coast Basin, including plans to accelerate its exploration activities, with the release of the Company's Q4-2011 financial statements at the end of April.

The Taranaki Basin offers multi-zone potential and NZEC's exploration strategy is to prioritize wells identified on 3D seismic that have well-defined, lower-risk Mt. Messenger targets coupled with additional exploration potential from the Urenui, Moki or Kapuni formations. The Company is completing a 100-km2 3D seismic survey toward the north end of its Taranaki permits that will further define existing targets and reduce drilling risk while potentially identifying new exploration targets and expanding NZEC's inventory of drill-ready locations.

The Taranaki Basin is currently New Zealand's only oil and gas producing basin, producing approximately 130,000 boe/d from 18 fields. Within the Taranaki Basin, NZEC holds and is the operator of two permits covering 169,949 net acres(2). The permits are on trend with numerous oil and gas producing fields, some of which have been producing for decades, including the Kapuni gas field producing from the deeper Kapuni formation, the Waihapa/Ngaere oil field producing from the Kapuni and Tikorangi formations, and the Cheal oil field producing from the Urenui and Mt. Messenger formations.

On behalf of the Board of Directors

Bruce McIntyre, President & Director

(2) Assumes NZEC completes the requirements to increase its interest in the Alton permit from 50% to 65%, as per an agreement with L&M Energy Limited.

About New Zealand Energy Corp.

NZEC is an oil and natural gas company engaged in the production, development and exploration of petroleum and natural gas assets in New Zealand. NZEC's property portfolio collectively covers nearly two million acres of conventional and unconventional prospects in the Taranaki Basin and East Coast Basin of New Zealand'sNorth Island. The Company's management team has extensive experience exploring and developing oil and natural gas fields in New Zealand and Canada, and takes a multi-disciplinary approach to value creation with a track record of successful discoveries. NZEC plans to add shareholder value by executing a technically disciplined exploration and development program focused on the onshore and offshore oil and natural gas resources in the politically and fiscally stable country of New Zealand. NZEC is listed on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol NZ and on the OTCQX International under the symbol NZERF. More information is available at New Zealand Energy Corp - Homepage or by emailing info@newzealandenergy.com.
Some light reading to consider: http://oilshockhorrorprobe.blogspot....dependent.html

New Zealands number one OPC company: http://www.toddenergy.co.nz/production (Responsible for 90% of domestic hydrocarbon production)

If I was to comment, I would say the company seems well managed, selling at Brent is a major bonus (Compared to our Canadian Bitumen producers), and constricting output to capture the value of the NG/Liquids is a the right move.

I still find it hard for me to really associate a dollar value to this company, but I do believe that the geo-political factor combined with strong political support in the interest of offsetting import/export ratios does provide the right environment for a company like NZ to grow without political interuption, something that in other parts of the world is becoming more and more of a concern.

Last edited by jasonturbo; 04-11-2012 at 04:36 AM.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #7233
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Yes you can.. I do it with RBC
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #7234
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Am I the only one still holding yng right now? Taking a huge loss, it has benn consistently in the red for almost a month....
canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #7235
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Forgot who it was but AA (Alcoa) doing very well with after market close numbers Tuesday. Up 7%

Also holding YNG and hoping for an upswing. Gold was up yesterday but the market sentiment has been too negative the last 4 days.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #7236

I am still holding YNG @ avg. .33, not worried about that one at all. YNG's drop has been fairly consistent with others in the sector, gold has been very soft. Can't say much about YNG until the financials for Q1/Q2 are out... that's how I feel anyway.

Wasn't very happy about being down 20% on NZ, but thats just the market doing what it does.. recovering nicely today and I expect that to continue... great netbacks @ 90$/BBL.

Alcoa is a very solid company, they are still in the midst of a major restructuring and selling off non profitable assets.. as this continues they should start the march back up to pre-crash levels.. I hope to get out of some of my other stocks and into Alcoa in the near future...

Likely to pull the pin on FRC after it recovers... concerned about volatility.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #7237

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Rumours about Microsoft investing $3.5 billion into RIMM.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #7238
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Rumours about Microsoft investing $3.5 billion into RIMM.
Hmm that explains the gains yesterday while everything else on TSX was red. Not moving up much today but will be very interesting to see if the rumors become fact!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #7239

Microsoft $150M in Apple -> Apple is $600B company today.

Microsoft $3.5B? in RIMM -> RIMM will become?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #7240

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that lol.

3.5B in RIMM... the market cap is only 6.5B lol.. and it's got a very negative outlook IMO.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #7241
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

When do you guys think the storm will be over? With the elections coming up, company fundamentals still doing okay, I think I'll hop back on in late May or June.

Right now, holding half cash position waiting for the right moment.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #7242

Short term, bearish, sell in may go away kind of mentality still stands, then market runs just before elections. JMHO
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #7243

I see right now as a buying opportunity... yesterday would have been better though lol.

Election year should be full of win, I think corp profits will be very consistent and positive, mostly beating forecasts, and that Europe will settle down.. it basically has... now if the media could just find something else to fill the pages, we could stop bringing the PIIGS debt situation up over and over.. we know they will be bailed out, end of story.

One thing that does scare me is Santorum dropping out, this means the Rebuplicans have figured out the only chance they have to beat Obama is to solidify Romney as the face of their party sooner than later to garnish more support... Santorum has spent a lot of effort attacking Romney and it may now be hard to get some of his supporters to back him.. though they have the common evil of Obama to worry about so will likely vote Romney anyway lol.

I would be a little worried if Romney gets in... thought he's actually not half as crazy as the rest of those Republicans are.

On a side note, I think people in BC need to try some conservative leadership... (Not trying to turn this into a politics thread )
Old 04-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #7244
RS Veteran

Sooo nice to see green again!!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #7245
Old School RS

Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,225 Posts
Holy fucking NZ run, 20% in 2 days... Mind you it was -30% over the last 10 days anyways lol but still, big movements.

Mark
Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #7246

Looking at the market as a whole, it seems to be consolidating, I really do think that this year is going to be a very good year for equities.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #7247

GOOG proposing stock dividend and approving 2-for-1 stock split
Old 04-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #7248

So much for the owners wanting to follow Buffet's style of no stock splits eh...
hahaha
Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #7249

Quote:

Unfortunately RIMM doesn't have a Steve Jobs..
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #7250
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
keep in mind, fed won't let last year disaster repeat itself this summer, esp with elections coming up
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote