REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #7676
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
im holding YNG and CLL. CLL, i'm down 50% on, YNG is coming back a bit, but it's still depressing lol... was gonna put more into YNG a few weeks ago but decided against it
Advertisement

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #7677
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Very tempted to buy more tvix to average down but running low on cash. That's 4 huge straight days of gain.....I'm freaking out.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #7678
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

quick question for you guys, currently I'm trading through TD Waterhouse but at $30/trade I feel like its a bit expensive so I was wondering what brokerage are some of you guys using?
PaulWALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #7679
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
do a search

questrade
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #7680

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
im holding YNG and CLL. CLL, i'm down 50% on, YNG is coming back a bit, but it's still depressing lol... was gonna put more into YNG a few weeks ago but decided against it
Dang, sorry to hear that, I don't want to influence you one way or the other, but I would be pulling the pin on CLL, they have a 100M convertible debenture payment due at the end of the month, and based on historical figures and the previous news releases, they likely do not have the money for this so you can expect more dilution and a shittier share price. Unless you are VERY bullish on the price of oil.. you may strongly want to consider getting rid of CLL before it's back to the twenty's.

YNG should have a good run, especially with any action on the part of the feds. The latest news release really wasn't received by the market as strongly as I expected, I will be adding to my position as soon as there is a down day so I can salvage what gains I can get from my Alcoa shares. (Down day wait is because Alcoa has been climbming and I would like to drop it after it's done this "little rally")

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Very tempted to buy more tvix to average down but running low on cash. That's 4 huge straight days of gain.....I'm freaking out.
Interesting how the dynamic of the TVIX is constantly changing (Since I picked it up anyway), it no longer follows the beat of the S & P 500, but actually follows the movement of the VIX, what you are seeing is essentially the lowest end you can expect to see TVIX trade at, we are now at the historical average for the VIX and there is no reason to suggest that these are not "volatile times", if I wasn't already in, I would be buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWALKER View Post
quick question for you guys, currently I'm trading through TD Waterhouse but at $30/trade I feel like its a bit expensive so I was wondering what brokerage are some of you guys using?
Quest Trade!
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #7681

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Red tomorrow

German PPI slows to 23-month low in May
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #7682
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

I wouldn't have said Questrade before, due to their shitty platform. However, they are upgrading to a new platform called the IQ. I haven't used it yet, so I have to reserve my opinion on that for now.

They certainly do have the lowest transaction fees at 4.95 minimum and 9.95 max though. (something like that, give or take a few cents)
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #7683
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Hi all, stocks is something I want to get into and it is always good to learn about it. The thing is I don't know much. Any Stock 101 website I can read first?
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #7684

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnly1000 View Post
Red tomorrow

German PPI slows to 23-month low in May
More likely green thanks to Greece forming the govt. and the Fed will probably be extending operation twist.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #7685
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_dan View Post
I wouldn't have said Questrade before, due to their shitty platform. However, they are upgrading to a new platform called the IQ. I haven't used it yet, so I have to reserve my opinion on that for now.

They certainly do have the lowest transaction fees at 4.95 minimum and 9.95 max though. (something like that, give or take a few cents)

Just tried it this morning, its definitely much better than the old quest trader web. Everything is more integrated and customized to your preference. However, switching to IQ web (free) you won't be able to make trades on your phone / tablet and will have to wait for a real app to come sometime in the summer.
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #7686

Quote:
Originally Posted by d87c View Post
Hi all, stocks is something I want to get into and it is always good to learn about it. The thing is I don't know much. Any Stock 101 website I can read first?
easy answer, no

search again, there are good books on fundamentals by the famous writers... but really you need to be financial literate to even start understanding where/what to look at
Old 06-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #7687
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

just doubled up my position of YNG, looks like their getting their shit together and with most gold stocks at such a low price and QE possibly coming, I see some major upside potential here
vl_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #7688
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Tried every Canadian broker out there. IB is THE cheapest and THE best broker. period.
Smart routing is fucking money, paid .14 cents for a 35 contract option trade, averaging about 1$-2.50$ a trade , lots from 250-3k shares~
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #7689

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Tried every Canadian broker out there. IB is THE cheapest and THE best broker. period.
Smart routing is fucking money, paid .14 cents for a 35 contract option trade, averaging about 1$-2.50$ a trade , lots from 250-3k shares~
You forgot to mention the minimum balance :s
Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #7690

More Yukon Nevada News, President and CEO Robert F. Baldock will be leaving the company

That's not horrible news but it isn't good news either, hopefully his succesors can keep the company going in the same direction that Robert had it going.

Spoiler!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #7691

In Goldman we trust..
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #7692
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Moody's!!!!

I'm playing around with my play money account for which bank stocks I will be buying puts for.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #7693

So ridiculous how there are so many rules/regulations against conflicts of interests/manipulation/insider trading yet these "ratings" agencies provide no positive value (i.e. last year's downgrades bonanza)
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #7694

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
Moody's!!!!

I'm playing around with my play money account for which bank stocks I will be buying puts for.

would you not think this is somewhat priced into the major bank stocks?
a contrarian view might be to buy calls on ones you think WON'T be downgraded?

i don't have the balls to do either put/calls on this one
Old 06-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #7695
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
would you not think this is somewhat priced into the major bank stocks?
a contrarian view might be to buy calls on ones you think WON'T be downgraded?

i don't have the balls to do either put/calls on this one

As you can tell, for the whole day today, it's definitely priced in. But the aftermath. Wow, there is potential to make even more money

Speaking of contrarian indicators, GS announced on March that it was time to buy stocks since it was cheap. Now they're stating that they are bearish. Hmmmm.

HOWEVER, From a basic TA standpoint, the DOW broke through the 50 day MA on a negative breakout and is closing in on the 30 day MA. MACD's and Stochastic are looking like they are starting phantom downtrend. I've mostly been $$$ since late March and my last play for options was the AAPL downtrend after their last earnings. Ballz not big enough.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #7696
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2K View Post
Just tried it this morning, its definitely much better than the old quest trader web. Everything is more integrated and customized to your preference. However, switching to IQ web (free) you won't be able to make trades on your phone / tablet and will have to wait for a real app to come sometime in the summer.
I've tried the new IQ platform since they first released it for beta testing.

At first there were shiet loads of bugs, but they have been fixed and i really like the platform now. Still the place to be if you like cheap commisions.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #7697
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
wow, this is me exactly, I hold both, and bought CLL at an avg price of $.88, shoulda sold it when it went over $1

I fcked up huge and held on too long, now just waiting for AGM end of this month to see if any news. luckily I did hedge a bit by holding HOD (bear on oil prices)

on the bright side my bear plays are finally paying off. FAZ, HVU,, SDOW and my puts on BAC.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #7698
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Been on a road trip around bc and ab the last couple weeks. Even went to fort mac to see fiances family who are working up there. Serious boom town.

Still holding 23k shares yng @ avg .35 Glad to see Jerrit making positive cash but nervous about ceo resigning. Come on QE3!

Last edited by TouringTeg; 06-25-2012 at 07:47 AM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #7699
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I think it's last chance for the CHR.B quarterly dividend tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the price will be higher next go round.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #7700

I am currently playing an app in Apple Store called iTrade. Unstable app but so far I learned quite a bit from it. I know it's different from the real stock market but it's the closest thing to it. 100k to start and so far I have made 5k gains. Bought Cosco, Apple, Cheapsake energy, and American Financial.

Any stocks I should look into?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote