REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #8101
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,123 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts
I actually watched some of their BB10 videos on Youtube that was earlier this year.

Honestly, it actually looks pretty sweet, and the hub thing they have would be great for working professionals or corporate type people.
Advertisement
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #8102
Banned By Establishment

Failed 58 Times in 21 Posts
i dropped a nice junk of money into RIM at 11.50. I think it a solid gamble, and think RIM will be a success. Hopefully, by next time this year it'll be close to the $40 dollar range. Right now the stock price is being raised all on speculation and analyst reports, once they have 1 solid quarter in 2013 to back up the claims the price is going to shoot through the roof! Rim is going to release their fiscal quarter report on Dec.20, and i think its going to exceed expectations. B4 JAN.30(release of bb10) i think the stock will be close to the 14-17 dollar range around release day. The only mistake I think RIM is making right now is by releasing the touch screen blackberry b4 the physical keyboard model. However, it will be released about 2-4 weeks after and dont think it should be that big of a problem.

I personally switched from the blackberry world after owning one since 2007, to jumping ship recently to the iphone 5. I currently use the iphone 5, and cant wait to get rid of this thing and go back to using a blackberry. I miss BBM, and my physical keyboard! iPhone is such a hyped up phone and dated os, i think its going to lose its hype just like blackberry did. The iphone 5 is such a minor improvement from the iphone 4 and that is why apple stock is going downhill. Everything they release has such minor improvement, that its not even worth dishing out the extra amount of money to own the next best thing. Sooner or later even the apple fan boys are going to realize that its just not worth it!
z-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #8103
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
i dropped a nice junk of money into RIM at 11.50. I think it a solid gamble, and think RIM will be a success. Hopefully, by next time this year it'll be close to the $40 dollar range. Right now the stock price is being raised all on speculation and analyst reports, once they have 1 solid quarter in 2013 to back up the claims the price is going to shoot through the roof! Rim is going to release their fiscal quarter report on Dec.20, and i think its going to exceed expectations. B4 JAN.30(release of bb10) i think the stock will be close to the 14-17 dollar range around release day. The only mistake I think RIM is making right now is by releasing the touch screen blackberry b4 the physical keyboard model. However, it will be released about 2-4 weeks after and dont think it should be that big of a problem.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #8104

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post

I personally switched from the blackberry world after owning one since 2007, to jumping ship recently to the iphone 5. I currently use the iphone 5, and cant wait to get rid of this thing and go back to using a blackberry. I miss BBM, and my physical keyboard! iPhone is such a hyped up phone and dated os, i think its going to lose its hype just like blackberry did. The iphone 5 is such a minor improvement from the iphone 4 and that is why apple stock is going downhill. Everything they release has such minor improvement, that its not even worth dishing out the extra amount of money to own the next best thing. Sooner or later even the apple fan boys are going to realize that its just not worth it!
i think you're in the minority.

how many people do you know who are still on BBM?

i'd find it VERY difficult for RIM, windows 8 based phones, etc (anything outside of iOS and android) to make a significant dent on android and iOS

while i think RIM was somewhat undervalued at $7.xx, i don't think it's worth much more than that - no one wants them, no one wants their patents, and BB10 likely won't do anything great. to think this was once a power house (first to market) who QUICKLY got left behind, and now, over 1 year late, they come out with BB10, which again, looks like nothing new

also, you miss your keyboard? what are you, 50? i've got huge hands and i manage on the iphone (came from bold 9870 or whatever it was) - i don't miss the keyboard
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #8105
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 210 Times in 55 Posts
z-33 sippin some good ass kool-aid .. pass the jug.
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #8106
SiRVs up, dude

Failed 31 Times in 17 Posts
Very improbable... but not impossible I guess. Just like how no one imagined apple could have completely taken a huge chunk of market share out of the windows OS, maybe RIM can do the same...?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #8107
Banned By Establishment

Failed 58 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

i'd find it VERY difficult for RIM, windows 8 based phones, etc (anything outside of iOS and android) to make a significant dent on android and iOS

while i think RIM was somewhat undervalued at $7.xx, i don't think it's worth much more than that - no one wants them, no one wants their patents, and BB10 likely won't do anything great. to think this was once a power house (first to market) who QUICKLY got left behind, and now, over 1 year late, they come out with BB10, which again, looks like nothing new

also, you miss your keyboard? what are you, 50? i've got huge hands and i manage on the iphone (came from bold 9870 or whatever it was) - i don't miss the keyboard

I still know people on BBM, but a lot of people i know have left thats for sure to use different platforms ex. iPhone,android. However, thats only bc bb7 was being left behind due to its lack of technological capabilities. When bb10 comes it will match or even be better than the iphone5 and galaxy s4.

They said rim was undervalued at 7 bux and would never get to double digits and now its at 12. Now people are saying itll never get to 15? 17? etc...

dude ur telling me youd rather have a touch phone, than a physical keyboard? cmon bbm shits on all phone with its typing capabilities.
z-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 AM   #8108
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
z-33 .................... best of luck.........
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #8109
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
z-33 sippin some good ass kool-aid .. pass the jug.
You gotta mix it yourself

Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #8110
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 31 Times in 12 Posts
RIMM is one of those plays that is high risk high reward or all or nothing type of gambles.

They are betting on / huge on the BB10.

It's true that they have only about 1.6% of the smartphone share in NA as of recently and have bent over backwards to the Androids and Iphones. However, they are still very popular in the APAC Europe market and a plethora of patents in the company. What do they have to lose if they are aiming to be the viable 3rd OS in the smartphone ecosystem behind Android and Iphone. A 20-25% share in the market place at 3rd place will bring the company back.

Smartphones are such a changing trend these days such that people are changing phones just like how they are changing their wardrobe (wanting the most recent, best and in trend type of phone). Remember when the bold first come out and it was very popular, then the shift to the Iphones 1-3, then here we are now where people are in love with their Android (shunning the most recent Iphones because of the lack of changes and improvements). With a little bit of luck, traction, a good launch and word of mouth (social media these days) BB might just take off and become as popular as before.

Last edited by sh0n; 11-30-2012 at 11:37 AM.
sh0n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #8111

Thanked 1,123 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post

I think that's one thing RIM has over other people.

C'mon, if Motorola got bought out for $12.5 billion and Google mentioned later on that a lot of it was for their patents. I'm sure RIM would get a pretty good offer for theirs.

It is a huge climb for RIM but you have to keep in mind that their fight is in first world countries. Emerging markets with lagging telecommunications infrastructures is going to be their main markets. I read somewhere that iPhone/Android is great and all but they suck up too much bandwidth in those emerging markets.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #8112

Very true, patents are valuable nowadays. Apparently last year there were bids from Microsoft, Nokia, Amazon.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #8113

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
ya, and clearly these big players didn't value their patents all that greatly, otherwise the offer would have been sufficient to make the board accept.

they do have value, certainly, but no enough to bring teh stock up anywhere near $45
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #8114
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 105 Posts
AAPL
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #8115

Failed 46 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
AAPL

Insider selling going on. Also, people cashing in before the capital gains tax increases for next year.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #8116
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
Insider selling going on. Also, people cashing in before the capital gains tax increases for next year.
heard margin requirements increased by double as well as the inevitable death cross if you are into charts.. Are you still looking into buying some for a jan earnings play?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #8117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
heard margin requirements increased by double as well as the inevitable death cross if you are into charts.. Are you still looking into buying some for a jan earnings play?
The margin thing was blamed for the sell off a few weeks ago. :S don't know about today

Edit: I stand corrected; "COR Clearing raised its margin requirement specifically on AAPL from 30% to 60% Wednesday, citing a "high concentration.""

Last edited by shawnly1000; 12-05-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #8118

lol how many hedge funds blew up today.. APPLE OF PEACE
Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #8119
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only idiot still holding VG.TO? Stock down 11% and halted today, fuuuuuuuuuuu. jasonturbo? anyone?
canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #8120

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Am I the only idiot still holding VG.TO? Stock down 11% and halted today, fuuuuuuuuuuu. jasonturbo? anyone?
LOL according to Google Finance....the average daily volume is a measly 2000 shares....

Today it was 379,214

Why buy stocks when the avg daily volume translates to about $5000 being exchanged
Old 12-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #8121

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Failed 291 Times in 102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Sorry but I was out the last time it was in the low thirties, managed to pull the pin just shy of my avg.

Having said that, I still like YNG, though I do not like dilution... try to stay positive, at least they were able to post a profitable quarter! When I heard they were halted I was actually like "AH fuck I missed the boat!"! Thinking that they were bought out or something along those lines... considering the way YNG/VG as released news in the past, they typically have not halted the stock for anything, they usually just put out the news a couple hours before trading begins that day.

My outlook on gold has changed a bit, I was still very bearish on the markets back in the summer and had some confidence in the metal gaining traction, and although the price of gold has more or less stayed the same, gold miners have been taking a pounding.

The only thing I own right now is AMRN... oddly enough, even after taking a beating on TVIX this year, my TFSA and cash account are both up a fair bit, at 20% and 50% respectively. My private placement in Shift Planning is also "seeming going well" as they continue to grow like crazy, valuation for our series A shares in April was 3.3M, going into another round of financing in Jan 2013 it is expected to see a valuation of nearly 15M... pretty good return if things continue the way they are going.

VG dilution is pretty geh, take a look at the chart for NZ, it will likely make you feel better about holding VG lol.

Edit: Oops, TFSA up 50%, Cash up 20%... wish it was the other way around...

Last edited by jasonturbo; 12-06-2012 at 07:46 AM.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM   #8122

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Failed 291 Times in 102 Posts
Holy... AMRN News....

Amarin Announces $100 Million Non-Equity Financing and Vascepa Sales Force Hiring While Continuing to Assess Strategic Alternatives - Seeking Alpha

To me, this wasn't a shock, but clearly to some investors it was, down >2$/share in extended trading... be interesting to see what the morning brings.

AMRN was damned if they do and damned if they didn't, shareholders might want an immediate BO, but being realistic, if that BO doesn't come, and the company doesn't set themselves up for a solo launch... then the share price will really take a shit kicking. IMO, it's the right choice, and the only choice at this time which makes sense.

One thing is for sure, if BO comes before XMAS, those who bailed on this news are going to be kicking the ever living shit out of themselves lol.

So the big question... do I take advantage of this and buy more? Zero diversity = 100% risk hahaha.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #8123

Failed 46 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobysnax View Post
Yes I am. Although, I should buy more protection.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #8124
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 299 Times in 100 Posts
Damn, the moneysense top 200 stocks guide was on the money. Bought into WDC and Tesoro and it shot up 10-15% in the past 5 days.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #8125

Short apple via weekly puts. lets do this