REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #976
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow..what happen to Nvidia....drops like crazy
is it a good point to enter around $12
Advertisement
604_Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #977
SFICC-05*

Failed 107 Times in 33 Posts
I'm getting hit hard. I'm going to start shorting automotive/financials like McDick's.
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #978
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 57 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post
If you dont know what happened, don't enter
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.

Last edited by wouwou; 07-03-2008 at 10:20 PM. Reason: chun: wait till next week and see what happens. The time has come and gone for shorting auto/fin, expect a pull back
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #979
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604_Snooze View Post
I wouldn't say it was from a bad market drop, more like something is shaking. Read up before you invest

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #980
Tech Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mananetwork View Post
I wouldn't say it was from a bad market drop, more like something is shaking. Read up before you invest
just a stab at it...poor revenue forecast?
a somewhat good resource -> link
Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #981
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
anyone in on any local/alberta oil? up and comers?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #982
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 46 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
I'm getting hit hard. I'm going to start shorting automotive/financials like McDick's.
Don't forget airlines
Old 07-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #983
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
anyone in on any local/alberta oil? up and comers?
Cancen Oil in Alberta is currently not publicly traded.. but FRGY just released an 8-K.. they are gonna buy Cancen and all of it's assets. They are just in the final stages of the agreement which people believe should be finalized by the end of the month (end of quarter as well).

FRGY (Frontier Energy Corp).

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080627/0411500.html

Last edited by bossxx; 07-04-2008 at 05:59 AM.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #984
Banned (ABWS)

Wow redline you certainly have gotten alot better at TA... good job calling the reversal on the penny stock earlier

Kinross made a nice gain from $21 and it's a good point to get in especially at half the price of GG and other major gold producers. I mentioned Yamana before as well - gold's recovery into the mid 900's certainly tells us it'll be here for awhile.

UBS one of the most respected research ibanks posted news re: gold prices all the way through 2010 ...ballsy move.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...ld-stocks.aspx

Quote:
The Swiss financial services firm now expects gold will average US$895, US$800 and US$730 per ounce in 2008, 2009 and 2010, up from US$850, US$750 and US$720, respectively. Its palladium forecasts climb 24% to US$460, 96% to US$550 and 81% to US$625 per ounce for those years.
TNR Gold Corp (TNR.v) - one I mentioned earlier is now at $0.285, up from $0.22-23 earlier when I picked it up. It has solid backings from longterm investors (check insider buying) and seems to make a run to 0.40+ around October-Jan every year (at least last 3-4 years). Not a 200% one day gain like redline up there but also not Pink Sheets At least they need to announce a PP when diluting shares...! Do your DD of course still.

Not sure if anyone saw the GoldSource GXS run (IIRC was 0.50 to $18?) - but coal and potash in Sask seems to be the play of the month (or was). Would be intersting in about a month when coal permits are starting to be issued... everyone around that area was applying for coal permits and jumping up 40% over one day.

Crazy market...happy 4th of July folks.
Feint* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #985

has anyone ever looked into Vivendi? [VIV]

they have quite a few holdings including Blizzard and Sierra game companies since the release of World of Warcraft the charts have been pretty good as well as the numbers but lately it's been falling
Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #986
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

========================
How I Made 2,000,000 in the Stock Market - Nicolas Darvas

Trading Lessons From Nicolas Darvas:
1. There are no good or bad stocks. There are only stocks that rise in price and stocks that decline in price, and that price is based on the laws of supply and demand in the marketplace
2. “You can never go broke taking a profit” is bad advice that will result in overtrading and cutting winners short. Selling winners and holding losers is to be avoided at all times
3. There is a “follow-the-leader” style in the market. You will find success by selecting the most active and strongest industry group and trading its top leader
4. The combination of price and increased volume is key to stock selection. Focus your time on new leaders emerging with a new market cycle
5. It is the anticipation of growth rather than the growth itself that leads to great profits in growth stocks. “You have to find out what the public wants and go along with it. You can’t fight the tape, or the public.”
6. One of the quickest ways to lose money in the market is to listen to others and all of their so-called expert opinions. To succeed, you must ignore all outside opinions and predictions. Follow your own strategy!
7. Losses are tuition on Wall Street. Learn from them.
8. You should expect to be wrong half of the time. Your goal is to lose as little as possible when you are. “I have no ego in the stock market. If I make a mistake I admit it immediately and get out fast. If you could play roulette with the assurance that whenever you bet $100 you could get out for $98 if you lost your bet, wouldn’t you call that good odds?”
9. Most of your big failures will come from three things: 1) when you abandon your rules, 2) you become overconfident, and 3) trade in despair when unsuccessful
10. The best speculators search only for the very best opportunities. To be truly successful, you must wait for the right opportunities to present themselves and this often means doing nothing for long periods of time {BE PATIENT}
11. The market behaves the way it does due to participants behaving the way they do. No one knows what they will do until they actually do it
12. Long-term investors are the real gamblers in the market due to their eternal hope that losing stocks will come back in price
13. It is difficult to be profitable on the short side of the market versus the long side - trading in rising or bull markets will give you the best chance for success
Most, if not all stocks, will follow the general trend of the market
14. To train your emotions, write down the reasons for making every trade. When you lose, write down what you thought contributed to the loss. Then study and set new rules to avoid making those same mistakes
15. Concentrate your trades. At the peak of his success, Darvas would hold only 5 to 8 stocks at one time which was in contrast to his earlier days when he was overtrading and would hold up to 30 stocks at a time
16. Avoid fallen leaders. Overhead resistance will keep upside potential limited due to supply from previous buyers who had not cut short their losses.
17. According to Darvas, the only sound reason for a stock is one that is rising in price. If that is not happening, then there is “no other reason worth considering.”
17 .Darvas used his “box theory” to trade using boxes to time his entries (on breaking out to a new higher box) and exits (breaking below the current trading box).
18. For new trades, Darvas used “pilot buys” which basically were starter positions in stocks he liked. Only if the stock continued to move higher would he then pyramid and increase his position. He learned never to buy more of a losing position
19. He thought many unsuccessful investors made the mistake of looking at the same familiar names that might have worked well for them in the past instead of focusing on the next stock with the right elements for the new market cycle. “I am only in infant industries where earnings could double or triple. The biggest factor in stock prices is the lure of future earnings. The dream of the future is what excites people, not the reality.”
20. Perfection has no role in successful trading. No one can buy at the absolute lowest price and sell at the highest price. No time or effort should be devoted to that goal. “I never bought a stock at the low or sold one at the high in my life. I am satisfied to be along for most of the ride.”
21. Trade only when the environment is in your favor. Darvas’ strategy kept him out of poor and bear markets because he wouldn’t trade stocks that didn’t fit his requirements which were only found in raging bull markets
22. Be aggressive when warranted. Darvas believed in making aggressive trades when his system pointed to a great trade. In fact, sometimes 50% of his capital was devoted to just one stock
23. While his trading approach was very technical, after studying the market’s winners he understood the relevance of finding stocks also with good fundamentals. Namely, Darvas thought that earnings and the future estimate of increased earnings were very important

Last edited by bossxx; 07-06-2008 at 12:49 PM.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #987
Not a mod

Failed 102 Times in 14 Posts
LPS.to

I bought into this stock yesterday and it is taking off. Its a burnaby based company which has a product which helps conserve electricity. http://www.legendpower.com/
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #988

^

You meant Legend, who 2 days ago jumped 40%?

It just happened.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #989
No Duplicate Accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redliine View Post
========================
How I Made 2,000,000 in the Stock Market - Nicolas Darvas

13. It is difficult to be profitable on the short side of the market versus the long side - trading in rising or bull markets will give you the best chance for success
I have to say that's a tad incorrect esp in the arguable current predictable downward spiral.

Ben make speech / rate cuts - stock goes up
Oil goes up - stock goes down - gold is up as people fled from fiat
Rev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev* View Post
I have to say that's a tad incorrect esp in the arguable current predictable downward spiral.

Ben make speech / rate cuts - stock goes up
Oil goes up - stock goes down - gold is up as people fled from fiat
it should be like this:

Ben makes "unexpected" speech / rate cuts - stock goes up/down

Oil goes up "more than expected" - stock goes down - gold is up as people fled from fiat

It just happened.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #991
SFICC-05*

Failed 107 Times in 33 Posts
http://biz.yahoo.com/ccn/080710/2008...8001.html?.v=1
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #992

It would be a really good news,

if the oil price goes down. Oil price is really killing the smaller size "gold diggers"

It just happened.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #993

hey whats a good brokerage to use to buy like 1-3 stocks im looking to hold fairly long-term?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #994
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I'm "Lov'in" US market... omg... counting money on shorting FHM, FRE, AMD... I covered all of them in the morning before going to work (6:45am)!
I suspect Fed will save FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC just like what they did to Bear Stern. Lots of potential to go down even MORE! But then, I have to locked in massive profit (30+%).
Looking to short GM, F, C real soon. Waiting for entry point to short. I am not fighting the market... cause US is not going to recover anytime soon.

Gold is slowly creeping to $1000. I love it when CNBC doesn't mention gold as much as oil.

Love it!
McDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #995
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDick View Post
I'm "Lov'in" US market... omg... counting money on shorting FHM, FRE, AMD... I covered all of them in the morning before going to work (6:45am)!
I suspect Fed will save FANNIE MAE and FREDDIE MAC just like what they did to Bear Stern. Lots of potential to go down even MORE! But then, I have to locked in massive profit (30+%).
Looking to short GM, F, C real soon. Waiting for entry point to short. I am not fighting the market... cause US is not going to recover anytime soon.

Gold is slowly creeping to $1000. I love it when CNBC doesn't mention gold as much as oil.

Love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-R9...eature=related

ahahahahha open up your wallets americans you are all owners of subprime mortgages now. they basically are nationalizing freddie and fannie that is sad...america criticizes hugo chavez for nationalizing oil fields; at least they make money.

gold is going to make a fucking moon shot ahhaha

we should all invest in paper, printing presses and helicopters
Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #996

Etrade has been doing horrible on the market until closing today when news was announced of Scotiabank acquiring E-Trade Canada for $442M

UP 7% after market

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #997

Ouch, both my stocks took a huge hit today. I'd like to thank Bush for this

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #998
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mananetwork View Post
Ouch, both my stocks took a huge hit today. I'd like to thank Bush for this
pretty much all across the board. took profits on some gold miners albeit at lower prices than yesterday. starting to see some systemic risk out there in stockmarket world. there might be a bank run in america; there was a rumor yesterday it was going on at Washington mutual which forced them to issues a PR saying deposits are safe.i dunno this market is getting way too wacky
Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #999

I was tempted to short GG yesterday but didnt, and although I could've made a lot, I feel I made the right decision.

This market is way to wacky by now. ANYTHING can happen. I just closed my ultrashort position with a profit and am gonna stay out of it for a few days before all the dusts settle.

Word of advice, if you still hold any financial stocks, might not be too late to add a put option with it if you choose not to get out now.

It just happened.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #1000
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I sold GG entirely today near the opening at $52/share and bought lots of MA (Mastercard) shares at around $245.

Also, I have covered all my short position, GM, FRE, FNM, WM, DAL, LVS.

I basically have cash in all my stocks and sitting on the sideline to see what will happen next.
Basically all financial/mortgage stocks are considered 'oversold' at this moment.
Any 'positive' news from any financial/mortgage stocks can send the whole sector and stock market up few hundreds points.
So, I am booking my profit for now. Can't be right cash-ing in my profits.

I am waiting gold for a minor correction before going up to $1000. Watching closely at ABX and GG at this moment.
Gold and GG went up too much too quickly.

Last edited by McDick; 07-15-2008 at 10:00 AM.
McDick is offline   Reply With Quote