REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #10276
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I Expect bankruptcy and mortgage default to sore in 3-6 months, banks will need another bailout. People will lose jobs. 3rd qtr results to bomb. This only if they can get hold of this. Worse if not. Stocks will go lower
Advertisement
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #10277
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
Keep an eye on any VIX sort of stocks when other shit goes down hill, if markets start to slump, these start to go up. I've only day traded VIX and I would not recommend bag holding on these.

TVIX, VIX, VIXY, VIIX.
That TVIX was a wild ride

finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:02 AM   #10278
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

bump in the markets today....short term with more pain to come i would have to think?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:21 AM   #10279
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
Anyone buy stocks in Zoom?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:07 PM   #10280
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Anyone buy stocks in Zoom?
Hope you brought the right ticker

Zoom have way to much competition imo. WebEX, GotoMeeting and even Microsoft Teams are all viable competition and imo none of these service have a significant MOAT. Zoom is being hype right now but if I have to pick a web conferencing service to back, I would choose MSFT.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #10281
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,836 Times in 1,838 Posts
Zoom is one of the easiest ones to use, especially for people that aren't too tech savvy.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #10282
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
Would any of you recommend selling some stocks that are doing well like AMZN now to buy depressed ones at 25-30% off. Is that a good investing strategy?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #10283

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Zoom is one of the easiest ones to use, especially for people that aren't too tech savvy.
Easy of use is just one UI change away. People don't really get a choice which web conferencing software they will use. Licenses are purchase at a corporate level and you are basically just told to use which ever software your company brought into.

Microsoft with their office 365 has a lot of corporation loop into their ecosystem. My opinion anyways, ZM is way to overvaule with the corona hype.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #10284
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,381 Times in 2,472 Posts
Zoom is the most popular but MS Teams is definitely catching up in terms of capability and popularity.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #10285
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 1,196 Posts
The main problem with Zoom is that it's a one trick pony. Yes, it has some diversification (albeit limited), but its core business accounts for pretty much all the business there is.

And it has quite a bit of competition between MS Teams, Cisco WebEx and even Skype.

I wouldn't mind putting some position into it in the short term, but for long terms, I'd be worried about its overall business vs. the competition. MS can pack it everything seamlessly into its Office Suite, what can zoom does so that their client would stick with them in the long term?
Old 03-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #10286
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,444 Posts
If you're going to invest in Zoom, you might as well just invest in MSFT.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #10287
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,274 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Hope you brought the right ticker
Make sure you have the right ticker lol
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:42 AM   #10288
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've got quite a bit of USD atm, should i convert it all to Cad for the gains, or invest everything in Disney and wait 5 years?
Old 03-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
I've got quite a bit of USD atm, should i convert it all to Cad for the gains, or invest everything in Disney and wait 5 years?
too soon IMO..
although supply of oil is still question mark, everyone know for sure that demand will shrink significantly.

For investing in Disney.. things are still getting worse by the day.. why catch falling dagger? why not wait out longer? sure you may lose out on opportunity to pick "bottom".. but that's money not earned.. vs money lost..

Pay attention to what's happening around Europe.. hope for the best, but prepare for the worst... Idiot kids in America is still partying on the beach in groups.. There's no way that this crisis won't last for months..

Sure.. if you can wait 5 years, you'll likely eventually make money.. If you must buy, I'd stagger the order purchase x amount.. see how it plays out, then depending on situation, add more stocks etc..
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #10290

Second the too soon notion.

It took 6mth roughly for the 2008 crisis to go from top to bottom and then it lingered around there for another 3-4mth before it started the longest bull market in recent history.

We are in a much bigger bubble (this part is easy to understand, right?) and deeper shit to deal with (pretty much unprecedented in modern history. Our medical technology has come a long way vs. the Spanish Flu era, and yet we have no way to contain this).

I wouldn't worry too much about the ups and downs... you might be able to profit a little bit in short term plays like Zoom/Costco/Amazon, but the general market is at its very early stage of decline. When we start getting all Q1/Q2 reports, that's when things get interesting. Because say Amazon... it could have a terrific quarter. But if investors cast doubt on its continuous success, then the shares will drop. SP are always forward thinking.

As for Disney, it's a great company. It's literally the most powerful media company on the planet now. However, its success might ultimately be its demise. God knows how long we are going to drag on with the virus. DIS can't afford to keep pushing back on its blockbuster release dates and keeping Disneyland/world/park closed. And if you look at its free cashflow, which is down to its lowest point in recent years thanks to the purchase of Fox portfolio. Will new subscribers to Disney+ be enough to offset the decrease on all those major income streams for Disney? I have my doubts.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #10291
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,046 Times in 5,339 Posts
Some businesses in USA are too big to fail... in my opinion you can't lose in the long term buying things like Disney or Boeing or Apple (less so as their drop wasn't as significant) right now even if the market does continue to fall, in the long run you will still be a winner and that's what it's all about isn't it? There's no way the US government will let any of these guys fall... especially not Boeing for example, it's literally the USA's flagship and a source of superiority like Airbus is for France, they'll bail it out no matter how bad thing get.

Heck there was a 30% profit to be made just on Boeing the other day in day trading... ranged from $92 and raised up to almost $120 in a single day before falling back down to settle a bit over $100. I'm waiting a bit longer and buying in hard on all these blue chip American companies.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #10292

Speaking of too big to fail airline.

We have our home brew Air Canada that should be seeking another bailout anytime soon now.

Still watching on the sideline. Last time AC almost went bankrupt, it hit penny stock territory.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #10293
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,444 Posts
Should be mindful that when Air Canada went bankrupt in 2003, the restructuring left original stockholders with nothing.

But this time around, they have liquidity with 8 billion on hand, while back in 2003, they had tremendous debt.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #10294
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I am personally holding all positions. Not moving anything around. Go an wait at least another month to see.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #10295
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Would any of you recommend selling some stocks that are doing well like AMZN now to buy depressed ones at 25-30% off. Is that a good investing strategy?
Definitely not. If anything I would diversify and invest in others with your float, don't pull out of one to invest in another, especially a monster like AMZN
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #10296
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,274 Times in 586 Posts
OH BOY the dems didn’t pass the stimulus package. Markets gonna be free-falling tomorrow.

Puts all the way
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #10297

Quote:
The Reserve Bank of Australia, European Central Bank and Bank of England all said this week that they would create hundreds of billions of dollars, euros and pounds to buy bonds. In the United States, the Federal Reserve said it would back money-markets funds, promised more central banks that they would have access to U.S. dollars if their banks run short, and continued to push tens of billions of dollars into the financial system. The Reserve Bank of Australia, European Central Bank and Bank of England all said this week that they would create hundreds of billions of dollars, euros and pounds to buy bonds. In the United States, the Federal Reserve said it would back money-markets funds, promised more central banks that they would have access to U.S. dollars if their banks run short, and continued to push tens of billions of dollars into the financial system.

So money is gonna get cheaper. Wonder if I should buy more gold
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #10298
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,761 Posts
So what do you guys think about market based ETF’s? Looking into S&P and more globally based ones..

Also thinking about getting into SBUX, I’ve been looking for an entry point for a while and I think now is as good as ever.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #10299
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So what do you guys think about market based ETF’s? Looking into S&P and more globally based ones..

Also thinking about getting into SBUX, I’ve been looking for an entry point for a while and I think now is as good as ever.
I think thats the way to go. Index funds, consistent deposits.

SBUX? if that's a small % of your play money, then sure why not. People still love coffee, their drinks. In a couple of years, most will be back to their ol jobs, back to buying 6 dollar macchiatos. But I still feel SBUX has a lot of hurting to go through. People will be strict with their money after Covid dies down. The S&P global index you buy will prob have SBUX, so I mean, make it a small % of your overall portfolio if you want more day to day excitement I guess.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2020, 11:46 PM   #10300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

This is at least a once in the decade opportunity if not once in a lifetime.

Buying ETFs now is a waste of money. The problem with ETFs is that you take some winners, and you take some losers along.

Do your research and see what company can weather this storm and go for it.

It's like buying stock at the end of 2008. Really, unless you picked stock like Citibank whose stock never really recovered... any stock probably triple your money in 5yrs time if you are unlucky. And more than that if you did your homework.