REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #10376
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,302 Times in 1,444 Posts
10char
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lpu9nx0of8w41.jpg (97.1 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #10377
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

apparently he sold a bunch of shares before making the statement??? who knows if it's true
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #10378
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
apparently he sold a bunch of shares before making the statement??? who knows if it's true
Major shareholders/directors of public companies are required to file a filling with SEC when buying/selling shares of their respective company.

Whether or not Elon sold shares will be public information shortly, so, no need to speculate on rumors.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #10379
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
But isn't it true?

I'd go as far as saying, replace Tesla with any company currently trading, I'd still think the statement holds.

There's neither a clear treatment for the coronavirus nor a viable (as in proven to work on animals) vaccine in route. This virus is going to stay with us for a while.

Now, we have 2 options:

1. Keep the economy closed, watch all the jobs evaporate in 3 month and all gov't prepare some sort of Universal Basic Income to ensure some sort of civilization.

2. Open the economy (now that most people are aware that this virus is SERIOUS) and deal with the virus as we go with shitty performance (hence stock prices) on pretty much the entire economy. But at least you have an economy.

IMHO, option 2 is the way to go. Yes, there'd be a second wave. However, I think with a lot of precaution in place, the spread can be controlled to a manageable level. By keeping the whole world locked up, there's a severe psychological and economical effect on the entire economy.

I've said it before, wait until the result of Q2 and then make your decision by then. Anything prior to that is just pure speculation. There's NOTHING that supports a quick turnaround of world economy. As a matter of fact, I think a depression is more likely than just a recession. Yes, there's money to be made in this lunacy of bulltrap runs, but also come at a huge risk. And for what? If the next bull-run is the same as we last had, the difference would be making a 250% return when you wait vs. 300% if you don't (and turn out to be right). So, unless you are purposely strategizing your purchase (buying your way down), or you have allocated capital for high-risk trades. I wouldn't do more than 10% in this climate. Again, there'd be good chance to make money if one just wait, granted it wouldn't be as good of a return, but then, only take as much risk that you can tolerate.

Now back to Tesla. I agree with the statement, even as a TSLA shareholder. The current flagship Fremont factory is shut down. With only GF3 in operation in China, TSLA can probably do 30% of total output if lucky. And as a HUGE shareholder like Musk, he'd be pissed of not able to re-open the economy already. Yes, health is the utmost priority. However, if the vast majority of people (pretty much anyone outside of the top 5% in our population) have to suffer and pretty much beg for food, I don't see it to be any BETTER than re-opening RESPONSIBLY.

Taiwan has shown clearly that if the majority of the population is willing to cooperate with preventative measures, there's no need to keep the economy locked. Taiwan never did (except locking up the island, which we could do more or less the same, just on a much larger scale).

I, for one, admire that Elon Musk actually had the cojones to say what he meant and be TRUE to what he thinks. One might not like what he has to say, but at least he's genuine on what he says.
Not sure what Elon's plan is. This is not the first time he has publicly tweeted about the stock being too high.

Elon has an extensive history of indirect stock manipulation. This guy is a the teflon don when it comes to SEC investigation.

Oh look and TSLA is back at what it was before the tweet.

As an investor Elon's behaviour is very concerning, he has scare away many institutional investor but non of this antic seems to concern retail investor.

As a trader. all these overprice highly manipulated stock are stuff for wet dreams.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2020, 03:22 PM   #10380
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,970 Posts
This goes to show that a genius and a certified crazy is a very thin line.

Elon Musk and Grimes reveal how to pronounce baby's name -- but they disagree X Æ A-12
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #10381
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,452 Times in 1,028 Posts
So with many countries reopening....Is there really no consequence to the states printing all that money and buying junk bonds? Other than the big dip on March 21st, it seems everything is going sky high and it actually looks like a "V" shaped recovery. I remain pessimistic though

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #10382

^ there will be another dip ... just wait for it.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #10383

ACB with a 1:12 reverse split

i almost shit myself when i first check the stock quote this morning only to read after about the split after
Old 05-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #10384

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Not sure what Elon's plan is. This is not the first time he has publicly tweeted about the stock being too high.

Elon has an extensive history of indirect stock manipulation. This guy is a the teflon don when it comes to SEC investigation.

Oh look and TSLA is back at what it was before the tweet.

As an investor Elon's behaviour is very concerning, he has scare away many institutional investor but non of this antic seems to concern retail investor.

As a trader. all these overprice highly manipulated stock are stuff for wet dreams.
As a shareholder, I am actually long TSLA because of Elon Musk. If Elon somehow gets kicked out of the company, I'd sell all the TSLA position without blinking

EM to TSLA, or EV in general isn't too far off to comparing how Steve Jobs of AAPL is to the smartphone industry. The difference is that SJ left in a time where smartphone already matured into the industry mainstream.

EV still has a long way to go before becoming mainstream in the car industry.

As for his behaviour.... I consider any downs due to his "behaviour" as cost of doing business. Hahaha... Think it this way... how else can you get 34M followers as a car company CEO and spend nearly 0 on ads but every of your company's move is in world's spotlight?

You can't get that by being a normal executive...

How many of you here can name the CEO of Ford, GM, Benz, BMW... etc without googling? Let alone knows what goes in their decision making.

TSLA is at 800+ today because they have an EM... without it, they'd be worth less than Ford or GM because those STABLE and RESPONSIBLE CEOs cannot innovate and generate value beyond what the company already does. They make great bean counters, but a true visionary will never be stable because they are never satisfied with the status quo. Often, when they first introduced their ideas into the world, they are called crazy or lunatic... like so many names in history... Galileo, Copernicus to name a few. Those responsible others?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #10385
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,057 Times in 3,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Often, when they first introduced their ideas into the world, they are called crazy or lunatic... like so many names in history... Galileo, Copernicus to name a few. Those responsible others?
Musk is called crazy because he's genuinely batshit insane.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #10386
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Galileo was a fucking mint CEO
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #10387
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Elon Musk has not been on the board nor is he the CEO ever since his funding secure tweet.

I do agree, this man or brilliant. Crazy but brilliant the Howard Hughes of our time

But that doesn’t distract it from the fact that as a company and as an investment TSLA is a crazily overvalued and it’s base on hype more than substance.

You are right Elon is the only reason why tsla is the value it is today. His compensation is directly tie to the $ value of the stock.

A viable business need to be operation even without the enigma leader. Like how Apple can survive without SJ.

The way Tesla is setup right now seem to live and die by Elon. Kind of a scary thought for institution. But I guess not really an issue for the much more mobile retail investor.

Have to say Elon’s force reopening of his factory in Fremont yesterday is a pretty boss move lol
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #10388

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Elon Musk has not been on the board nor is he the CEO ever since his funding secure tweet.

I do agree, this man or brilliant. Crazy but brilliant the Howard Hughes of our time

But that doesn’t distract it from the fact that as a company and as an investment TSLA is a crazily overvalued and it’s base on hype more than substance.

You are right Elon is the only reason why tsla is the value it is today. His compensation is directly tie to the $ value of the stock.

A viable business need to be operation even without the enigma leader. Like how Apple can survive without SJ.

The way Tesla is setup right now seem to live and die by Elon. Kind of a scary thought for institution. But I guess not really an issue for the much more mobile retail investor.

Have to say Elon’s force reopening of his factory in Fremont yesterday is a pretty boss move lol
Erh, he's still part of the board (just no longer president of the board) AND CEO last time I checked.

As you said... Apple "survived" without SJ, because Apple already established itself as the market leader in the smartphone industry and had a successful business model to continue on.

But is Apple under Cook still like the Apple under Jobs? As a long time Apple user, I no longer feel the excitement of Apple announcements. I used to even stay up late so I could catch the event live somehow when I was in Asia as well as the time pre-order of the product goes live/camp in line to buy.

Now I just wait for the "Apple latest event in 7min" youtube video to be posted and buy their product only when a good deal comes along. A sharp contrast for a person who used to get pretty much every major products (sans refreshes) like MBP, iPhones... etc on day1.

They are hardly an innovator anymore. I only stick with Apple's ecosystem because I, along with my F&Fs are way too invested in the system to leave now. But it really won't take much of a screwup from Apple for me to leave everything behind and take my entire F&F with me (I'm the IT geek in the family, so everyone just follow my decisions).

Tesla, OTOH, reminds me of the excitement I had with Apple. I would stick to the internet somehow for any major events so I don't miss anything. I have a Model 3 now and ordered the 3-motor Cybertruck even I was never a pickup person (I shared my reasonings in the Cybertruck thread, it's not just a fanboy impulse... but actually the car checking all the boxes I can think of).

That's why I got into TSLA and plan to like really LONG it.

And as for valuation, one can't justify TSLA's valuation as a CAR manufacturer.

The current no.1 carmaker by market cap is Toyota and they sell a whole crapload more cars than Tesla.

However, I see Tesla as an energy company. And it's its potential to sell me, and millions of people out there, the Tesla ecosystem that interests me as a shareholder.

If I were to replace the roof of my house and Tesla Solar Roof is available in Canada, I wouldn't even consider getting a quote from regular roofing company; just come install solar roof along with a PowerWall and let me know where to send the check to.

And many of the steps Tesla are taking are so subtle that one would easily miss it if they don't pay attention; even as a shareholder.

Tesla UK recently applied the license to sell electricity in the UK, and I believe that's the test-site of its plan. Imagine if Tesla were your electricity company and all its customers have solar roof and powerwall installed. Let's say its customers are all regular 9-5 Joe-6-packs. During the day time, when the house energy utilization is at the lowest (out-working) and solar energy production is the highest, Tesla, as a utility company can sell all that excess capacity to OTHER utility companies because their PEAK utilization happens in the DAY.

Even just as a car company, with every legacy carmakers going EV, many major economies announcing plans to kill ICE vehicles for good, Tesla, with the most advanced EV-related tech in the industry, bar-none, stand a great chance. And if they really perfected the autonomous driving, then, you can add ride-sharing to the list of things Tesla does.

To sum, I want to say that I'm excited as a TSLA shareholder because EM and his think-outside-the-box mentality. I don't expect it to make anything REVOLUTIONARY, except the autonomous driving. All I need it to do, is to disrupt a few old industries with something new, and I can already justify it to be a trillion-dollar company in a few years. When I first drove a Tesla, it gave me the same feeling when I first used an iPhone. Same thing I've been doing for so long... BUT SO MUCH BETTER that I can't imagine ever going back. And all that craziness in the way EM tweets and whatever doesn't really affect the way I see the company in any way.

Yeah, I'm biased AF as a TSLA shareholder, but that's my 0.02.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #10389

what are you guys thoughts on Air Canada, how much lower can it go?
Old 05-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #10390
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,023 Posts
airline stocks, nobody knows... its a gamble.
right now they're still filling up planes when it comes to essential travel, no space in between.
all it's gonna take is one of those travellers to infect half the plane, then once the news breaks out that it happened, it's gonna re-raise the concern of flying again and set back the industry several months.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #10391
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,761 Posts
The problem with TSLA is their product ain’t that great besides being innovative. It’s not the equivalent to apple in that regard.

Consumer reports and reliability ratings are pretty shit across the board for their vehicles. And everyone i know who own Tesla’s have had issues
Old 05-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #10392

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
airline stocks, nobody knows... its a gamble.
right now they're still filling up planes when it comes to essential travel, no space in between.
all it's gonna take is one of those travellers to infect half the plane, then once the news breaks out that it happened, it's gonna re-raise the concern of flying again and set back the industry several months.
yes but air canada is our main national carrier....world travel will resume, no way around it. the questions is when?

does it keep getting hammered for another 6 months then start to tick back up?
Old 05-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #10393
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Air Canada will still be around. In a way it's too big to fail since you can't dismiss the billions of dollars the tourism industry generates for the country. Not just through flights but the dollars that trickle down through retail and other services. Plenty of jobs are at stake.

The question that remains is how much the stock is worth right now. They've already informed investors that they don't expect to return to 2019 earnings for at least 3 years. From the way people here "invest", that's a fucking life time.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #10394

At this price, I'll lend AC a few thousand dollars. I've got time.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #10395
Say! Say! Say!

Anyone have any thoughts on VTIQ? Did a little bit of DD and it seems like a small position will pay off in the long term.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #10396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on VTIQ? Did a little bit of DD and it seems like a small position will pay off in the long term.
so merger announcement on June 2.

you think it'll keep going up until then?
Old 05-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #10397
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
so merger announcement on June 2.

you think it'll keep going up until then?
This would be a very long term hold for me and a fairly small position, so pricing isn't much of a concern for me personally. But I do think there is still a bit left in the tank up until the merger, then it'll probably trade flat for a long time.

Did miss that $25 dip today during a morning meeting. Bounced back to $29 in a span of like 20 minutes.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #10398

do you think tomorrow it'll tick down?

Last edited by blkgsr; 05-14-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #10399
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
AC + TCL.A .... just to test the waters.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #10400

nice dividend with TCL.A

what are you thinking as a smart buy in price?