REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #1026
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 57 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mananetwork View Post
Wish I picked this up the day I posted this!
I have this feeling on a daily basis. It's just a magnification of greed without a rational backing.

Actually, how do you guys deal with it? My brain is telling me to not take a overly heavy position on any one stock but my gut keeps telling me "if you had done this, you would have been sipping mojitos and have 3 strippers dancing on your lap"
Advertisement
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #1027
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually focus on one to two stocks for short term trading.
For long term.. I have lots of stocks in different industries and in mutual funds.

But I avoid small caps (stocks worth less than $20-30)... so the chance for a company to go bankrupt overnight is very slim.

=============

I can't believe there aren't any pullback near the end of the trading day.
Today is pure "short covering" day. Hope tonight's earnings are good and another up day tomorrow so I can unload my shares for a very good weekend.

Last edited by McDick; 07-16-2008 at 11:58 AM.
McDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #1028

I wasnt surprised for the no pull back today, most financials has been over overly shorted and when SEC announced a ban on naked, it's normal.

Although I am expecting some profit taking tomorrow

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #1029

Morning guys

I NEED MY SLEEP.

JPM, FNM is running now, put stop orders just in case

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #1030
I STILL don't get it

lol i went to sleep early to wake up at 530

up about 120% on JPM calls , will prob close out position by the end of the day. not bad for 24 hrs of work
Old 07-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #1031

I just closed out a FNM call at $2.9, and sold FNM at 12.5, JPM 40.3

GOD I SHOULD CONSIDER QUITTING

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #1032

Got out of everything except MA and GG

Done for the day, I am pretty sure I am gonna slack in my office today net shopping

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouwou View Post
Got out of everything except MA and GG

Done for the day, I am pretty sure I am gonna slack in my office today net shopping
I am going to sell MA today and buying back GG before the market closes today.
I have doubts that Merrill Lynch and Google's earning will disappoints the market tomorrow.

To be on the safe side, I am locked in my MasterCard profit by putting a stop at $273 (if the market tanks today). If not, I'll sell it no matters what happened by the end of today.

wouwou: Don't quit your job.. that's a big nono! I am earning decent money from stock market but never considered leaving my 10 hours day job (salary paid, so no overtime for me

I can say my day job kept me going even if I am experience stock market losses. Without the day job, I could easily selling my stocks when I really don't wanted to or even go bankrupt (since I am using Margin account to trade stocks most of the time).
Damn, realized banks are making good money from my interests that I paid.

Last edited by McDick; 07-17-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDick View Post
I am going to sell MA today and buying back GG before the market closes today.
I have doubts that Merrill Lynch and Google's earning will disappoints the market tomorrow.

To be on the safe side, I am locked in my MasterCard profit by putting a stop at $273 (if the market tanks today). If not, I'll sell it no matters what happened by the end of today.

wouwou: Don't quit your job.. that's a big nono! I am earning decent money from stock market but never considered leaving my 10 hours day job (salary paid, so no overtime for me

I can say my day job kept me going even if I am experience stock market losses. Without the day job, I could easily selling my stocks when I really don't wanted to or even go bankrupt (since I am using Margin account to trade stocks most of the time).
Damn, realized banks are making good money from my interests that I paid.
I know I shouldnt quit my job, that's just my shaking hands talking, and that's why I am sitting in my office after 2 hr sleep in 48 hrs. Good thing I am the only one here today.

Thanks for the advice though

P.S, I also have a stop for MA at 270, still a good exit for me cause I got in REALLY early. I might double my position on GG as well around noon here, usually the best time to buy imo

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #1035

Smile

Quote:

P.S, I also have a stop for MA at 270, still a good exit for me cause I got in REALLY early. I might double my position on GG as well around noon here, usually the best time to buy imo
Really good gains on MA over the past 2 days! Cash-ing in today for sure and enjoy the money over the weekend.

Yes.. usually it's a good time to buy/sell GG at noon (since gold market closes). The price is much more stable at that time.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #1036

Sold MasterCard (MA) at $290, 10 minutes before closing.
And bought GG at $45.25 before I sold all my MasterCard...

I know I will be using a lot of MasterCard this weekend. That's for sure!
Making a killing, wouwou?

I am betting afterhour earnings will be bad. I think Merrill Lynch, Google, and Citi will post some disappointed numbers. Hmmmmm...
Old 07-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #1037

I sold at 287 because my boss just called for a conference XD, still pretty good.

Got in GG for 45.01 @ for another 50%, with stop at 41.5 till tomorrow in case I cant get up.

I have absolutely no faith in GOOG right now so I didn't even touch the options table. Econ downturn has been happening for 6 months and it should reach GOOD by now. If it turns out to be good, then it means I am gonna stay up AGAIN for C and another shot at FNM tomorrow.

Curiously, Dimon's word of cautions is completely ignored and JPM is trying to break through 40, FNM trying for 12 but fell back to 10.8 without any underlying improvement. I believe the market is due for an adjustment from the short covering and speculation soon.

My portfolio leans towards crappy performance/pull back, but I am hoping for good news.

I am browsing futureshop.ca now and sipping on a bottle of delicious OJ

It just happened.

Last edited by wouwou; 07-17-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #1038

You can run but the market got you by the ass now, GOOG

GOOG did missed the target, with slower growth rate at 35% compared to 45%(?) last quarter, making it a downward trend on net profit growth rate.

Share dropped 10% just down.

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #1039

Quote:
You can run but the market got you by the ass now, GOOG

GOOG did missed the target, with slower growth rate at 35% compared to 45%(?) last quarter, making it a downward trend on net profit growth rate.

Share dropped 10% just down.
Everything went down after-market like I expected... MER, MSFT, GOOG, COF . .
Nice sell at $287.

Worrying about Gold now.. Gold down over $15 in Asia market. I expected the other way around. We'll see what will happen tomorrow with Citi reporting in the morning. Looked like a bad day for the market.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #1040
Banned By Establishment

Failed 730 Times in 91 Posts
Has anyone ever tried a leveraged investment? Any success stories with loaning out $$$ to make more $$$
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #1041
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

U mean trading with a margin account?
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDick View Post
Everything went down after-market like I expected... MER, MSFT, GOOG, COF . .
Nice sell at $287.

Worrying about Gold now.. Gold down over $15 in Asia market. I expected the other way around. We'll see what will happen tomorrow with Citi reporting in the morning. Looked like a bad day for the market.
I was worried too, hence the stop at 41.5. even though it will eat away some of my profit if gold drop some more tomorrow, GOOD, MER, MSFT and (C tomorrow) should be enough factors for the market to wake up from the surge for the past 2 days.

I mean there is no change in the underlying market, and when Dimon warns about PRIME mortgage, you know shit will get really tough for banks like C with worse performances than JPM.

I believe 2 factors contributed to the surges, oil drop and short covering. The market volumn today has 30% up and close to 70% down, which let me to believe that market is staying afloat because the financials (well duh). If that goes down, see you at 11,000 again.

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #1043

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_coupe View Post
Has anyone ever tried a leveraged investment? Any success stories with loaning out $$$ to make more $$$
what redliine said, margin?

Also, for every success stories with Margin, there will be 4 failed stories that include (and not limit to) losing more than one has/jumping from the roof/divorcing/killing.

Margin has high risk associated, treat it with respect if you decide to go for it

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #1044

Great, SEC just said there will be EXCEPTIONS on the ban for naked shorts for MARKET MOVER

Can you really make up your mind? it took you 2 yrs to try to change the rule YOU made

It just happened.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #1045
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Margin not a good idea for a noob that's for sure. I would use your own cash because then you won't make careless mistakes.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by redliine View Post
Margin not a good idea for a noob that's for sure. I would use your own cash because then you won't make careless mistakes.
just make sure you have enough cash to pay off interests and enough stocks for the bank to hold on to.

Also, you don't buy penny or small cap stocks with Margin Account. You can, but if you are down 50%... prepare to have enough cash to cover the difference.

7-8% interest rate is not that much. When I borrowed $100,000, I make sure I have $25,000 cash in my account for emergency use and I have some stocks for bank to hold on to.
My rule for using Margin account is that I will sell if a stock drops more than 8-10% no matter what happened. I will NEVER let the stock ride and hope it will bounce back. Because if the stock fuxked up and drop 50-60%, you are screwed.
So, timing is EVERYTHING if you use margin account.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #1047

Quote:
Great, SEC just said there will be EXCEPTIONS on the ban for naked shorts for MARKET MOVER

Can you really make up your mind? it took you 2 yrs to try to change the rule YOU made
Seriously.. I don't think FED will going to ban naked shorts. Especially "banning" naked shorts to ONLY Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, and Goldman Sachs!

What happened to other companies like Washington Mutual, Capital One Financial, JP Morgan, Citi, and others????
They will just open a big can of worms.

They are saying this because they want to stabilized the temporary shorting of Freddie and Fannie earlier this week.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #1048
Banned By Establishment

Failed 730 Times in 91 Posts
I see it's called margin account. I've heard the term "leveraged investment" because borrowing money to make money is considered leverage.

I work for a company that had multiple major issues with operating costs, which dropped the share value to single digit pennies (started at a dollar something 5 years ago). However, because I work with the company, I can see alot of the sales forecast and contracts that have already been signed. My company isn't offering any stock options to it's employees as a bonus or anything, so unfortunately I think the only way to take advantage of this is by loaning money to profit alongside my company.

The thing I don't understand is I heard there are probably no shares to acquire for my company. What does this mean? If I sign up with a trading company, would I be able to find individuals who are selling their shares for close to the market value? Do I need to pay a fee just to browse for these individuals?
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_coupe View Post
I see it's called margin account. I've heard the term "leveraged investment" because borrowing money to make money is considered leverage.

I work for a company that had multiple major issues with operating costs, which dropped the share value to single digit pennies (started at a dollar something 5 years ago). However, because I work with the company, I can see alot of the sales forecast and contracts that have already been signed. My company isn't offering any stock options to it's employees as a bonus or anything, so unfortunately I think the only way to take advantage of this is by loaning money to profit alongside my company.

The thing I don't understand is I heard there are probably no shares to acquire for my company. What does this mean? If I sign up with a trading company, would I be able to find individuals who are selling their shares for close to the market value? Do I need to pay a fee just to browse for these individuals?

I doubt you can find individuals who own shares of your company!! They get their shares through broker(s). And brokers unlikely to share this information with you!!
Also, from what you are doing, it's called "Insider Trading"! You are really at the boarder of crossing the illegal trading line. It's a crime.
You have to confirmed with your company if you can do that or not. It's a really touchy topic and I don't know much about insider trading.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 AM   #1050

dude file a report with the finance department of your company first.

Taking material information and use it for personal gain can be considered IT, especially if you make a killing in a short time period with your company's stock.

It just happened.