REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #10651
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
Any good Canadian dividend stocks to invest in? I’m fairly new to investing stocks so just wanted to hear some suggestions. I read fortis, enbridge and Canadian utilities are good.
Ive been watching END for a while...wish i had bought a little while ago at sub 36
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #10652
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
Ive been watching END for a while...wish i had bought a little while ago at sub 36
What's END? If you mean ENB, I think it's still a good buy, preCovid, it peaked at like $49-$50.

Last edited by whitev70r; 11-18-2020 at 09:42 AM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #10653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Dividen stocks are meant to be long term like a saving stock.

You buy on a regular basis and never really cash out.

A uncle of mine is an excellent example. He started buying TSMC decades ago... he now owns roughly 4M USD worth of TSMC stocks at today's value and the dividend alone pays for his retirement. But this takes a very strong believe in the company and its team. My uncle NEVER sold a single share. He just save and save and bought whenever he gets enough for a sheet (Taiwan's stock is sold by that denomination... each "sheet" or lot is 1000shares) worth. TSMC accounts for 100% of his portfolio.

Unless you are looking into for the long term, I wouldn't recommend dividend stocks. But if you are so inclined, I'd look into stable banking/telecom.
Wow, your uncle is the classic Wealthy Barber story. After a lifetime, $4M in today's coin is a decent nest egg. He did good.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:23 AM   #10654
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Wow, your uncle is the classic Wealthy Barber story. After a lifetime, $4M in today's coin is a decent nest egg. He did good.
Yeah... and his vision, looking at it retrospectively is nothing short of amazing.

He isn't exactly a tech person. Heck, he isn't even an investing person. He told me that he was in the basic electronics business like calculators, toys... etc

And when TSMC went public in the late 90s, he thought... they are making all those little black things in the very business he's in and he only sees the need of it growing. So he started buying.

And then it went up and started paying a bit of dividend... so he just kept on buying. He didn't even sell when Morris Chang (founder/ex-CEO of TSMC) went into retirement first time and the 2 co-CEOs kinda messed up the company... he just kept buying.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #10655
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
Anybody daytrading TSLA today? Every time I refresh its up another $2. Sitting at $474 now, maybe I'll just hold.
You're better off day trading NIO; there's a lot of entry points throughout these past few days. Recommend buying any price under $44 and selling around $46. Don't wait til $50, like me.

Hopefully the hype dies down soon lol.

I'll be holding my Tesla shares until after December.. Then I'll re-evaluate.
Tesla has been fun last month though.

I should've held onto TSM as it has been reliable this year, along with AMD..
Old 11-18-2020, 11:54 PM   #10656
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

TSLA finished strong today, glad I didn’t sell yet.

I got in on NIO at $25, not bad for my luck. My buddy got 1400 shares at $3, I wish he told me then. Damn
Old 11-19-2020, 01:29 AM   #10657
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,446 Posts
Quote:

I got in on NIO at $25, not bad for my luck. My buddy got 1400 shares at $3, I wish he told me then. Damn
I'm in a stock group with several friends. One of them is super quiet, and we just assume because he's busy with work.

We've been talking about EV stocks and NIO for a good couple of weeks, and this dude out of the blue says he bought a bunch of NIO when it was $6.

We all went WTF?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #10658
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
TSLA is still doing well. Is it time to sell or keep holding?
Old 11-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #10659
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Yeah... and his vision, looking at it retrospectively is nothing short of amazing.

He isn't exactly a tech person. Heck, he isn't even an investing person. He told me that he was in the basic electronics business like calculators, toys... etc

And when TSMC went public in the late 90s, he thought... they are making all those little black things in the very business he's in and he only sees the need of it growing. So he started buying.

And then it went up and started paying a bit of dividend... so he just kept on buying. He didn't even sell when Morris Chang (founder/ex-CEO of TSMC) went into retirement first time and the 2 co-CEOs kinda messed up the company... he just kept buying.
The power of compounding your return!

I feel TSLA is going to be a great short down the road. The math doesn't add up to its valuation imo.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #10660

^^ My guess is that the growth of TSLA is incremental from here on end whereas the growh on NIO or XPEV can still be exponential. As a conservative move, you could sell half of your TSLA stocks and go in on NIO or XPEV and ride that wave to the peek.

caveat .. what do I know.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #10661
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
TSLA is still doing well. Is it time to sell or keep holding?
I'd probably hold.

When TSLA is added to the SP500, index funds will liquidate what TSLA is replacing and re-balance further bringing TSLA up more.

I think a reasonable expectation is $550 by EOY.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:56 AM   #10662
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

I had 1000 shares at $1.90ish... sold at around $2.15 I think? So far my biggest trading regret.
kobe tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #10663
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Anyone got XPEV or Li?
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #10664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
XPENG has its IPO tomorrow. Chinese Tesla backed by Alibaba.
Had to go back pages and pages to hunt this down ... thank you for the tip! First stock that I ever bought with triple digit returns ... in three months! Only regret was playing a bit conservative and not putting more chips in. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited by whitev70r; 11-20-2020 at 09:30 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #10665
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Had to go back pages and pages to hunt this down ... thank you for the tip! First stock that I ever bought with triple digit returns ... in three months! Only regret was playing a bit conservative and not putting more chips in. Of course, hindsight is 20/20.
Enjoy the EV sector rush. Not sure when the pullback will be, but I'm just enjoying the ride for now.

I currently have NIO and XPEV as the mainstays, but also have KNDI, CIIC, and FIII as speculative plays.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #10666
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
daaamn good for you. I bought right off the gate but since it wasn't moving much I sold to reinvest into other things.. If only I held for a bit longer lol
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:47 PM   #10667
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Nio has high potential! Going to leave it in, and come back in 5 years!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #10668

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Nio has high potential! Going to leave it in, and come back in 5 years!
For other EV players such as NIO and XPEV, it's gonna be easier for their share to double as their market cap is relatively small comparing the TSLA, which is the industry juggernaut.

However, they do come with higher risk too. NIO was at near bankruptcy earlier this year if it wasn't for a last-minute deal with the Chinese gov't to move its HQ in order to receive a lifeline.

XPEV is what I perceive as a fundamentally flawed company. When its CEO is willing to walk the grey area for HR, he will also likely willing to walk in that same grey area for other aspects of the company.

If one were to invest x amount of money for a mid-long term such as 5yrs, I'd want something much more compelling. TSLA has the industry-leading scale, technology, brand value and world presence (NIO/XPEV are both China only company). I could easily see it becoming the next trillion dollar company.

And remember, TSLA is the leader in the same industry NIO and XPEV, with arguably the best team in the industry too. If things aren't going well for Tesla... it doesn't have to mean that Tesla is doing poorly, but rather the market is simply no longer crazy about EV industry as a whole, who do you think would fare better? The industry 800lbs gorilla or the chimps?

Yes, I'm TSLA shareholder so I'm biased AF... so take my comments with a grain of salt. But from an objective view to the EV sector, the risk among these players don't change regardless whether I'm a SH.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #10669
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,572 Times in 5,768 Posts
Well you also said you weren't into XPEV and the resulting investment to this point would have resulted in 250% Gain. I think it's impossible to try and understand how these investments relate to the fundamentals of the market or the quality of the company.

I had lunch with a good friend who manages a book worth a few hundred million and he laughed at the chart of XPEV saying that its almost the same story for any speculative play before a crash. But who knows, its impossible to tell

However, if their ugly ass cars are selling for say $70,000 USD per, and that initial report was them delivering 12,000. Their valuation is like 15,000 times earnings lol..
Old 11-23-2020, 09:38 AM   #10670

If one’s speculating, yes. It might make sense. However, for a stock that one is looking to “invest” for 5yrs, dump the money and forget it, I’d want something more stable.

If one’s actively monitoring, that’s another story.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #10671

For now, don't even try to impart any logic or explain the Stock Market ... NOTHING makes sense.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #10672
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
For now, don't even try to impart any logic or explain the Stock Market ... NOTHING makes sense.
Agree. I sold FCEL a week and a half ago for a tidy profit and it just had a 300% run since then with no news lol
kobe tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #10673
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,572 Times in 5,768 Posts
XPEV up 33% TODAY

Hahahah ffs..sold at 33 lol
Old 11-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #10674
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
XPEV up 33% TODAY

Hahahah ffs..sold at 33 lol
Waiting for that blowoff top to go in on a put.
XPEV also has a relatively small float that can be easier to manipulated.

For such a farmer boy name XPENG should be aiming for the lowest denominator yet they want to go luxury

This is TLRY all over again.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #10675

Quote:
XPEV is what I perceive as a fundamentally flawed company. When its CEO is willing to walk the grey area for HR, he will also likely willing to walk in that same grey area for other aspects of the company.

Yes, I'm TSLA shareholder so I'm biased AF... so take my comments with a grain of salt. But from an objective view to the EV sector, the risk among these players don't change regardless whether I'm a SH.
You're concerned about the 'grey area' of the CEO of XPEV ??!! Is Musk an ethical angel ... haha ... ROFL l! They are all unethical AF! The reason why I didn't go in on TSLA is because of the looney at the helm (well, that and I waited too late!)
This post thanked by: