REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #11126
Need to Seek Professional Help

Look for AMC to regain strength after the pandemic.
Advertisement
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #11127
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

GME: If the hedges didn’t substantially cover today the price should go lower. All of the tactics seem unnecessary if there wasn’t still exposure (short ladders, limiting buying, mandatory stop-losses, etc). Doesn’t that create a short-term buying opportunity with gambling money? Coupled with renewed public interest that results in a big surge. Am I looking at this right?

What I can’t wrap my head around is WSB looking at this like an infinite opportunity. Assuming a surge even happens once the shorts have covered what would keep the momentum going?

In the AMA today Mark Cuban suggested existing investors hold. He sees something here.

SLV: Media started broadcasting silver as the next hot ticket yesterday but the price dropped. What’s happening here? Ironically, I’m still holding onto SLV from my last purchase many years ago. All of the supposed “next big thing” stocks went down on an up day: AMC, NOK, BB.

This post may come across as sorely uninformed. I made a handful of trades years ago and forgot most of the little I knew.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #11128
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Wanda (owners of AMC) and the CCP should have stepped in and help screw over the hedge funds.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #11129
My homepage has been set to RS

I averaged down on AMC today, kinda wish I grabbed some GME on that deep V
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #11130
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Look for AMC to regain strength after the pandemic.
Ugh, whenever that is lol ... looks like we'll be masking up for long long time.
Yeah it pretty much verifies I have no idea wtf I'm doing lol ... got caught up in all the hoopla now I'm down on AMC. Luckily it's not much as I'm usually pretty conservative.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:11 PM   #11131
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,059 Times in 3,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
SLV: Media started broadcasting silver as the next hot ticket yesterday but the price dropped. What’s happening here?
There have been a bunch of news items coming out saying WSB is pushing for SLV next. Except if you check WSB that's not the case at all, and all the accounts trying to push SLV in the comments are from new accounts, or ones that haven't been used in ages and never posted in WSB before (ie stolen).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #11132

^thanks. I’ve noticed that, too. They’re up in arms about it. Still, I didn’t think general public would make that distinction.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #11133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Ugh, whenever that is lol ... looks like we'll be masking up for long long time.
Yeah it pretty much verifies I have no idea wtf I'm doing lol ... got caught up in all the hoopla now I'm down on AMC. Luckily it's not much as I'm usually pretty conservative.

Don't worry, everyone's learned that lesson before. Many of us have learned that lesson multiple times and are still learning it lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #11134
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Sorry used the completely wrong term LOL. Let me rephrase. I participated in a PP about two years ago, which the private company did a RTO on a CPC, and is now on TSX.V as HULK.V.

I've seen a lot of PP deal decks come across my desk over the years, but this is the first one that I've actually put money into and seen it progress from a private company to a public company.

Having learned what I learned now, I feel that while the risks are higher, choosing the correct SPAC or purchasing shares of a CPC can lead to high reward. For example, the CPC that HULK.V used was AMW.P, which traded at $0.09. If my understanding is correct, shareholders of AMW.P are now shareholders of HULK.V which on Day 1 closed at 0.75. So without access to a PP, if I had invested in that CPC, I would be up 7x on Day 1?

Edit: Does anyone have experience with depositing share certificates into a brokerage or executing share warrants? I have about 4 months before I have to really worry about either, but it seems like WealthSimple doesnt do share certificate conversation and TD won't touch physicals cause COVID.
Td will take it now I believe. They were closed originally but the office is back opened already in Toronto. Just go to a branch and do a securities deposit. Next time ask for digital shares certificates instead.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:36 AM   #11135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doorVIP View Post
I averaged down on AMC today, kinda wish I grabbed some GME on that deep V
i was thinking about it but thought, how much more do i want to dump into this thing....
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:59 AM   #11136
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
i was thinking about it but thought, how much more do i want to dump into this thing....
I normally don't give investment advice online but why subject yourself to such stress... there are safer ways to make money in the market, albeit not at the speed that wsb wants. AMC at this current price is still sitting at 300% year-to-date return. Is there any development in the actual business that warrants the company to be valued 3x what is was prior to this year? We all know movie theater industry was on a secular decline long before covid. Even the most bullish street analyst is pegging AMC at a price target of $5-6 per share after baking in a strong post-covid recovery. But then again, anything can happen in the market and I know its painful to cut your losses. We call this cognitive bias Loss-aversion.

The loss-aversion tendency breaks one of the cardinal rules of economics; the measurement of opportunity cost. To be a successful investor over time you must be able to properly measure opportunity cost and not be anchored to past investment decisions due to the inbuilt human tendency to avoid losses. Investors who become anchored due to loss aversion will pass on mouth-watering investment opportunities to retain an existing loss-making investment in the hope of recouping their losses.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #11137
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,783 Times in 920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
FOMO bro you'll learn. Move on!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #11138

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
I normally don't give investment advice online but why subject yourself to such stress... there are safer ways to make money in the market, albeit not at the speed that wsb wants. AMC at this current price is still sitting at 300% year-to-date return. Is there any development in the actual business that warrants the company to be valued 3x what is was prior to this year? We all know movie theater industry was on a secular decline long before covid. Even the most bullish street analyst is pegging AMC at a price target of $5-6 per share after baking in a strong post-covid recovery. But then again, anything can happen in the market and I know its painful to cut your losses. We call this cognitive bias Loss-aversion.

The loss-aversion tendency breaks one of the cardinal rules of economics; the measurement of opportunity cost. To be a successful investor over time you must be able to properly measure opportunity cost and not be anchored to past investment decisions due to the inbuilt human tendency to avoid losses. Investors who become anchored due to loss aversion will pass on mouth-watering investment opportunities to retain an existing loss-making investment in the hope of recouping their losses.
100% agree and there's a couple factors that play in to my thought patter on this massively risky play

- average down in "hopes" it comes back up some and i lessen my loss
- buy more share in the (again hopes) it "goes to the moon" and yay i have more

don't get me wrong, the fact that those two statements both contain "hope" is a poor judgement for an investment and i know that
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #11139
RS controls my life!

This is what I have been trying to shed more light on with regards to the idea that institutional investors, like hedge funds, are a homogenous blob of establishment that colludes to protect each other when in reality, there are many factions and players to the market. It's also not uncommon for hedge funds to battle against each other (look up Icahn vs Ackman). In this case of GME, Bloomberg reported today that Jason Mudrick’s hedge fund earned $200 million on its GME positions thanks to wsb. Silver Lake Management, a titan in the tech private equity space, also earned over $100 million thanks to wsb. So much for sticking it to the 'suits' lol. Are these funds any more ethical than the ones that lost money on GME? Doubt it.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/mudrick-...bets-1.1557916
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #11140
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,027 Posts
thinking of going long CCL. they said they can survive 2021 without cruising, so as long as vaccines are coming then i only see good things for CCL as the year goes on. also, who cruises? a lot of older people who are in line to get the vaccines a bit earlier. once people get immunized they will start booking cruises again. currently trading at $20, down from it's pre-covid price of around $50. just based on that i think $30 wouldn't be unreasonable by EOY as long as no major shortages of vaccines. there's a risk of the price not going up in a straight line though, things like outbreaks on ships if they start too early are possible. i'd DCA this one. thoughts?
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #11141
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Because I got in on GME so low ($38) and I only have three shares, it doesn't eat me as much to hold and see what happens.

However, I decided to go long on the recent IPO for Kits, an online eyeglass retailer based in Vancouver. The CEO managed to previously sell another eyewear company he ran to Luxottica (fuck them lol), and I have a feeling that there's some money to be had in a couple of years.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #11142

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1...187154435?s=20
Old 02-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #11143
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
thinking of going long CCL.
I personally rather invest in an airline like AC over cruises.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #11144
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,922 Times in 4,468 Posts
When I Google'd what CCL was, this is what Google returned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
People also ask
Is CCL a buy now?
CCL stock is not a buy.6 days ago

CCL Stock: Is Carnival Stock A Buy Right Now?
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #11145
in the butt

Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,246 Posts
20% gains on MVIS today, really curious to see whats gonna happen in april once they roll out their testing and demonstrations. 400% gains in 6 months

Once these guys roll out into more cars and general building automation, things are going to blow up

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
this guy is the embodiment of a cross cab owner.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #11146
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,446 Posts
I remember people pumping it when there was a Microsoft buyout rumors.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:54 PM   #11147
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,650 Times in 1,563 Posts
Recommendation on brokerage account? Fees don't matter to me. I just want it to be fast to trade, fast to process my transfer, and high liquidity (as in I don't want there to be issues with brokerage when I sell).

WealthSimple and QuestTrade wants 10 business days of processing time for DRS ComputerShares. But everyday that goes by is a higher capital gains hit cause it's currently non-registered. I'll take the capital gains hit into TFSA np but I just need the speed and reliability.

Edit: don't mind trading fees, but account fees kinda suck
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 02-04-2021 at 05:58 AM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:32 AM   #11148
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I personally rather invest in an airline like AC over cruises.
yep it's also a good buy rn. i realize nothing i'm saying is revolutionary, but the timing atm is not bad.. pandemic is probably in the recovery phase as long as the new strains don't completely get out of hand and bring everything to it's knees. optimism is starting to pick up and so it's a good time to get into covid affected stocks.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #11149
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,573 Times in 5,769 Posts
Lol fuck yesterday they had a guest on BNN that was just ruthless regarding the WSB thing

“This isn’t even speculation, it’s Russian roulette. And the majority of people are going to be taken out on a stretcher because that’s what happens when you play Russian Roulette”

He ended with a little poke at WSB (im paraphrasing)

Somthing along the lines of “ok you paid for your new gaming consoles, now fade away”

Lol
Old 02-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #11150
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,973 Posts
^ Sometimes the truth hurts.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote