REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #2176
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
Whoa, I was not expecting to see all of them go up around 10% today.

------------------

Heads up on XT-V, another Shale gas play in the area, less risk associated with it, because its' current assets are essentially equal to a book value of .40/share. The current share price today is .45cents/share.

Shares o/s is just over 11 mill.

Look for this stock to play the catch up game.
Advertisement

Last edited by subordinate; 01-19-2010 at 01:21 PM.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:56 AM   #2177

Well that was a nice initial open for CQM, with a high of day of 1.48 (Mentioned at $1/share, then settling down to 1.34 cents. If anyone gives CQM-V a brief look, they will notice that there is not much resistance until $ 3 dollars/share. IMO.

Heads up, GMR (a play in the region) will be releasing results this week, which will impact the entire region.

Here's an piece from an old News Release:

Gastem: Directors and Officers Flow-Through Private Placement for $93,005
Gastem Inc GMR
12/31/2009 2:27:01 PM
MONTREAL, QUEBEC, Dec 31, 2009 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX News Network) --

Gastem (TSX VENTURE: GMR) is pleased to announce that it has closed a $93,005 flow-through private placement for directors, officers and friends equal to 143,085 Units at a price of $0.65 per Flow-Through Unit. Each Flow-Through Unit consists of one flow-through common share and one common share purchase warrant. Each whole warrant entitles the holder to acquire one non-flow-through common share at a price of $0.85 per share for a period of 18 months from the closing.

The Offering was made to directors, officers and friends within the meaning of National Instrument 45-106 in the Province of Quebec. The closing is subject to the completion of formal documentation and receipt of Regulatory approval including the approval of the TSX-V. There was no commission paid for this private placement.

Getting their friends/family in before the run??? (Possibly know something that they aren't telling?) IMO. This is the venture exchange......where the crooks make their bread and butter.

And please don't just jump into any of these plays because of some guy on the internet spewing some information, do your own DD (Due Diligence)
-------------------------

For NDR-V, closed today at .285, not bad since mentioning it at .17cents (1.5 months ago.

Too bad I sold everything at .24/share to position myself more in the Utica plays. I took the gamble simply because of risk/reward ratio, where the possible rewards was very attractive.

If money is gained, a simple reentry into the Kinross FDN plays will be my next strategy since Kinross will be releasing results fairly soon, as well as Eco metals.

Last edited by subordinate; 01-21-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #2178
I STILL don't get it

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
absolutely painful day in the market today...hopefully it's not the beginning of the "correction" that we've all been hearing about.

subordinate - great call on cqm.v and the utica plays recently. looks like theres a bit of profit taking or maybe it's just an overal flowover effect from the general market. possibly a good time to buy more shares. do you know when they are going to announce the drill results?

btw - what does everyone think of financials?
leilomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #2179
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilomo View Post
absolutely painful day in the market today...hopefully it's not the beginning of the "correction" that we've all been hearing about.
I think it may very well be. I haven't purchased a stock for weeks and have done nothing but sold. It's not that I don't want to buy anything, I can't find anything to buy. When I read charts, the first thing I look at is the stochastics, then I try to confirm with MACD/histogram and candlestick formations. Everyday, I try to find something to buy but charts are telling me most stocks are overbought and have been for a while now.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #2180
RS controls my life!

Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
Any thoughts on the gold stocks? ABX and Goldcorp pretty much fell back to their October levels in the last couple of days with gold still over $1100
clowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #2181
I STILL don't get it

cqm.v on a bit of a slide these last 3 trading sessions. is it because of lack of news or profit taking? or does someone know something that we don't?
sub - whats your take?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #2182

I think it's purely based on the current conditions of the stock market. We have had 3 decent down days in a row. Stocks then generally get pushed down.

In addition, the downward movement is also likely compounded by nervous retail investors selling, locking in profits, thinking there is a major correction in the markets happening soon. I'm not fully convinced yet.

I am still holding.

----------------

FYI, The gap on CQM at 1.15cents is closed now, so 1.15/share is a pretty good support here, that's if the markets don't go free falling from here.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #2183
I STILL don't get it

monday is going to be a pretty critical day here.

usually we see pretty bullish movements on mondays due to mutual funds buying in. if this doesn't even happen, then we should be reaally cautious of the market - if it falls further on monday, i'll be taking all my money off the table, and i advise that the rest of you folks should probably consider this too. i predict that the dow will probably fall to around the 9000-9500 level before going back up again. imho.

technically, things are very oversold now - it just a matter of getting some good economic news into the system that should push things up.

what does everyone else think? there must be more people in here...
Old 01-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #2184
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 57 Times in 18 Posts
people here, except when you have a new born, there is no freaking way to trade stocks.

Not during regular hours.
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #2185
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 127 Times in 56 Posts
Don't be like one of the dumb analyst came on TV in September 08 and said buy into the bank stocks because the market is "oversold". Market can remain oversold longer than you can remain in solvent.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #2186
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
Failed 877 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
Don't be like one of the dumb analyst came on TV in September 08 and said buy into the bank stocks because the market is "oversold". Market can remain oversold longer than you can remain in solvent.
Straight from John Keynes.

I don't trust analysts or economists, hindsight seems to be always 20/20 for them. But than again I don't "invest" but rather trade.

If you guys have time you should pick up a book called The Black Swan by Nicholas Nassim Taleb. It's the follow up to his second book Fooled by Randomness.

If you're a trader this book will make you see things in a different mindset.

This is the guy who doesn't believe in any economic indicators such as like housing starts and consumer spending, which is shocking cause his day job is a hedge fund manager.
He argues against people (analysts, Economists) who claim they can understand the probability of a rare event happening. He hates on banks for using quantitative measures at risk. He also elaborates on using mean variance for risk allocation calling it BS.

You may not agree with everything he says, but regardless it's a fascinating read.
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #2187
I STILL don't get it

cqm hitting new intraday lows - time to worry?
Old 01-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #2188
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 8 Times in 8 Posts
what does everyone think about Air Canada?
Their Q4 results is on Feb 10

Think they'll do good because in winter fuel costs was low, plus all the fares sold for the olympics....
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #2189
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 7 Times in 4 Posts
how bout NEXM ? anyone good @ chart reading give some insight on it?
kwanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #2190
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanzor View Post
how bout NEXM ? anyone good @ chart reading give some insight on it?
I'll take a stab at it.

NEXM has a messy ass chart. It's a penny stock and it looks like it gets its share of pumping. Biopharm companies are always fun to short. Especially if you see a spike. Playground for traders but a footshot for investors.

Looks like they've been releasing some fluffy news about their medicine without some results to show. A quick glance at the financials shows that they aren't exactly profitable.

The company had ahuge spike back in the beginning of this year, doubling it's share price from $0.40 to $0.80. Looks like the price couldn't break resistance of $0.75 and now it's falling. I'd look into shorting and put a stoploss at $0.75 with a take profit of maybe $0.40 to $0.30.

Mods, if I'm breaking the rules here, delete this post. Or edit.

Anyways, anyone looking at C? It retraced to a low of $3.15 but I jumped in way before it. In the green now though. Looks like it's going up up up! Hopefully it'll break the $5 and go to $10 or something.
Scudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #2191
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
citigroup has like 30 billion shares lol
if it hit 10 dollars, all others banks will probably run up as well
i think bac would be like 40 dollars, jpm would be like 90 bucks...which seems kinda insane
itll probably be like 5-6 dollars max until they do some kind of share buyback or something to reduce all those shares
Jackwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #2192
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think citigroup is just going up because of its sale of its private equity section.
I think it will hit 3.5 and meet resistance imo. I bought at 3.25 but panicked and sold it at 3.23 loss. I then bought air canada at 1.30 and so far so good. Continental Airline reported good results today and I predict Air Canada will too. But god damn the volume traded on AC is so little
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #2193
I STILL don't get it

subordinate - are you still in cqm? looks like they've halted trading for the time being until their report comes out sometime this week...should be interesting to see what'll happen to the SP after the news hits the press. $1.28 @ Close as of 2/5/10.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #2194

Quote:
subordinate - are you still in cqm? looks like they've halted trading for the time being until their report comes out sometime this week...should be interesting to see what'll happen to the SP after the news hits the press. $1.28 @ Close as of 2/5/10.
Yep, I regret selling some shares 2 weeks ago though.

See the news release?

High today was 1.60 something.

Current S/P $ 1.43/share

---------------------

Did you pick up any Leilomo?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #2195
I STILL don't get it

yep, thanks to your making us aware...did some dd and picked up some at $1.00.

saw the news release today; one thing i don't really understand is how junex (cqm's 50% partner) went up like 12% where as cqm only went up like 7.5%. i think theres definitely more room for cqm to go up, but in this market, who knows.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #2196

Quote:
yep, thanks to your making us aware...did some dd and picked up some at $1.00.

saw the news release today; one thing i don't really understand is how junex (cqm's 50% partner) went up like 12% where as cqm only went up like 7.5%. i think theres definitely more room for cqm to go up, but in this market, who knows.
Don't quote me on this, but JNX also owns quite a bit of land on similar grounds as the Nicolet permit that was assessed at just over 8 TCF of nat gas.

Not to mention, JNX has a lot of working capital and shares of both PEA-V and GMR-V. So it isn't surprising to me that JNX moved up more, being that they have more upside potential than CQM.

-----------------

The potential that CQM has is significant, Questerre's report had a best estimate of about 4 ish TCF, but don't benchmark QEC to CQM, QEC has other projects in the works.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 AM   #2197
RS controls my life!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
what does everyone think about air canada?
i'm extremely new at this, and is looking to invest! pointers anyone?
i JUST started with the simulation program on investopedia.
and i read through the tutorials.
gnat. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #2198

Failed 28 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat. View Post
what does everyone think about air canada?
i'm extremely new at this, and is looking to invest! pointers anyone?
i JUST started with the simulation program on investopedia.
and i read through the tutorials.
+1

In for more info on this.
Anyone can me it easier for me how to read the graphs and how to understand the figures?

I tried looking at them but they just give me headaches
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #2199
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
Failed 877 Times in 94 Posts
^depends

you'll read and analyze graphs differently depending on whether you want to 'trade' or 'invest'.. it's relative to how you want to approach the market...

'trading' is more short term and comes down to looking at chart patterns, and technical indicators like stocastics RSI's and MACD's... it can somtimes come down to intraday chart reading which most day traders have to deal with...at that point you'll probably rely very heavily on volume and spreads...

'investing' is much more long term... you'll be reading company financial statements a lot... income statements and balance sheets... paying attention to a lot of earnings reports and quarterly forecasts... dividend yields.. P/E ratios .. EPS.. seeing how much debt a company holds... blah blah blah... you gotta really dig... and pay attention to changes in the company...

i was recommended a book awhile back that i think is worth looking at if you want a decent base for investing.

it's called "warren buffet and the interpretation of financial statements"

yah investopedia is a great way of learning... but if you really wanna understand financial statements... i recommend taking a few accounting courses... even level 1 and 2 accounting courses could teach you some pretty decent pointers...

anyways.. good luck..
fortune favors the brave.

happy hunting.
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 AM   #2200
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 76 Times in 23 Posts
Where is a good place to start for a noob stock investor?
gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote