REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 12-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #8626
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Failed 61 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mananetwork View Post
HDR mean multiple images captured within a single image. It's used in film and games to simulate dramatic light changes from shadows to highlights.

In photography the artists likes to fit all those images into one still image, while in film/game production a shader drives the HDR image by gradually change exposures on the fly
Not necessarily. HDR in the photographic sense is exactly that. High dynamic range. I don't see a high dynamic range in those photos...the black points are too high, not enough details in the shadows. I would consider them as extended dynamic range.
Advertisement
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #8627
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Not necessarily. HDR in the photographic sense is exactly that. High dynamic range. I don't see a high dynamic range in those photos...the black points are too high, not enough details in the shadows. I would consider them as extended dynamic range.
My photos would be considered extended dynamic range. I use all the raw information to squeeze out as much info from the image as possible.

When I can see everything from the darkest to brightest details in a frame, I consider that HDR. I don't think you can get anymore detail out from shadows which haven't even been grazed by some light source

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #8628
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
here some random shieeetz, just playing around with the tamron 90mm haha

N.gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #8629
VLS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mananetwork View Post
When I can see everything from the darkest to brightest details in a frame, I consider that HDR. I don't think you can get anymore detail out from shadows which haven't even been grazed by some light source
Sure you can, you just need to expose for it...that's exactly the reason why I don't consider them HDR...I would have liked to have seen a little more detail. Maybe there is, and the small image size doesn't do it justice. There is no detail in the dark side of the buildings. Of course, I'm not saying that you have to have detail in all shadow areas, as sometimes it can't be helped. Anne Marie Comte, a Vancouver professional photographer does amazing night-time HDR, but she combines up to 30 different exposures to achieve the smallest detail.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 AM   #8630
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Both those night images are HDR. It is just that the bottom one of tokyo is filled with lights so you dont see as much darkness, but if you want to nit pick, the shadow part of the tree in the toyko image is pitch black as well. Just because an image is HDR doesnt mean EVERY dark shadow bit has to be filled with light... if that was the case then there wouldnt be an image, everything would be grey, and have a damn flat image. Again, just because the tone map is different in every image doesn't mean the image isn't HDR.

Good HDR looks natural, you can barely tell it is HDR. It doesnt mean every shadow has to be filled with light or every bright hotspot has to be darkened. It just means the multiple exposures are combined perfectly to make and image look as closely to how your eyes see it as possible. If you look directly at the sun you are still going to see a white circle, and if you look into an unlit alley at night you are still goin to see pitch black in the shadow behind a dumpster.

Anne Comte does not do "amazing" HDR. Her hdr images are the typical over tone mapped process. It looks unrealistic, just looks 'cool' for that specific look. I got the same results the 1st hour I messed around with photomatix and 3 jpeg exposures. You dont need 30 exposures to do HDR. I've tested, as well as the web's craziest HDR enthusiasts and professionals that 7 exposures (2stops difference raw format) is all you EVER EVER need for a night time HDR. That is even over kill for raw, the info is all there with 5 exposures. If you DO decide to do 30 exposures for a night shot, you'll even notice 1/2 of the images are useless as when you go to +10 stops (asuming the median exposure is 'proper' exposure) the darkest areas will not show any detail anyway since it will be filled with haze from a nearby light area, it's uselss for getting details out of.

edit: ok for example:

this is the median "proper" exposed image in a 5 exposure, 2stops difference, raw file set for a night time HDR i did of the london financial district.

This is an HDR image of the set properly tonemapped (imo). It looks natural, not overly exaggerated and brings back good detail in the shadow and highlight areas of the scene like how my eyes saw. Shadows adjusted slightly darker cuz i liked it

This is the EXACT same 5 exposure set from the SAME HDR file just tonemapped differently to give that crazy "HDR look" (slightly to the extreme side). It looks cool but it looks fake, unatural, and flat. However you get every single detail from the brightest blown out highlights to the darkest of shadows. Looks like shit IMO.

but both of these are HDR, just tone mapped completely different.

Last edited by J____; 12-16-2009 at 01:17 AM.
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #8631
VLS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
Both those night images are HDR. It is just that the bottom one of tokyo is filled with lights so you dont see as much darkness, but if you want to nit pick, the shadow part of the tree in the toyko image is pitch black as well. Just because an image is HDR doesnt mean EVERY dark shadow bit has to be filled with light... if that was the case then there wouldnt be an image, everything would be grey, and have a damn flat image. Again, just because the tone map is different in every image doesn't mean the image isn't HDR.

Good HDR looks natural, you can barely tell it is HDR. It doesnt mean every shadow has to be filled with light or every bright hotspot has to be darkened. It just means the multiple exposures are combined perfectly to make and image look as closely to how your eyes see it as possible. If you look directly at the sun you are still going to see a white circle, and if you look into an unlit alley at night you are still goin to see pitch black in the shadow behind a dumpster.

Anne Comte does not do "amazing" HDR. Her hdr images are the typical over tone mapped process. It looks unrealistic, just looks 'cool' for that specific look. I got the same results the 1st hour I messed around with photomatix and 3 jpeg exposures. You dont need 30 exposures to do HDR. I've tested, as well as the web's craziest HDR enthusiasts and professionals that 7 exposures (2stops difference raw format) is all you EVER EVER need for a night time HDR. That is even over kill for raw, the info is all there with 5 exposures. If you DO decide to do 30 exposures for a night shot, you'll even notice 1/2 of the images are useless as when you go to +10 stops (asuming the median exposure is 'proper' exposure) the darkest areas will not show any detail anyway since it will be filled with haze from a nearby light area, it's uselss for getting details out of.
Then we agree to disagree. Anyways, I'm tired of arguing. Next person to post, please post a photo!

Do you even know Anne-Marie? Obviously you don't because you called her Anne.

*edit* I just checked Anne-Marie's website, and she has her old over the top photos on there. Jackson, she does much better work now. Just check her prints at various local gallery shows.

Last edited by Senna4ever; 12-16-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #8632

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Then we agree to disagree. Anyways, I'm tired of arguing. Next person to post, please post a photo!

Do you even know Anne-Marie? Obviously you don't because you called her Anne.

*edit* I just checked Anne-Marie's website, and she has her old over the top photos on there. Jackson, she does much better work now. Just check her prints at various local gallery shows.
i dont knw of her personally but i've seen her work.

edit: i'll have to check out her gallery stuff when i get a chance. I'll take ur word for it now.

i call every anne-marie anne =P
Old 12-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #8633
VLS Moderator

I'd forgotten how over the top she used to be. Yes, I don't like that kind of HDR...I like the HDR that you did in England, or Dan Burkholder's current work.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #8634
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Failed 1,848 Times in 413 Posts
Quote:
Next question then is, "how high is high"? Can you quantify that in dB? Or even bits? Where do you split the hair between "extended" and "high"?

I remember a few years ago, when I was participating in a certain photo-critique site, there was quite a debate raging over HDR - same kinda stuff, ranging between "what IS HDR" and "does all HDR look like shit?". I finally decided to give my input, by announcing that HDR was "played out" and introducing a new art form:

Fortunately, most people got the humor in it. Some played along, commenting on my overprocessing... or admiring the lack of processing... even starting a discussion on different grey levels. But of course, there were those with NO sense of humor as well... wish I could remember some of the inanities they came up with...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #8635
VLS Moderator

That looks exacly like my photo of Vancouver in the fog!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #8636
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
some epic clouds from today.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #8637

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
kewl!

www.ColinPhoto.ca
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #8638

Thanked 6,580 Times in 1,165 Posts
Failed 68 Times in 23 Posts
yeah the clouds were awesome this evening, here's my contribution

my shots came out pretty grainy though and I was at ISO 200, any ideas?
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #8639
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,985 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 23 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
some epic clouds from today.

that is sweeeet
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #8640
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

That last HDR of Shibuya in Tokyo is awesome. The night shots of U of A are great too . And I agree withe J__ and Mana's definition of HDR. If you picture Rcub's shot in one exposure, he wouldn't have gotten those details in the dark or bright areas.
MikesJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #8641

the clouds were really low so everything bellow was yellow in the streets, looked pretty cool in person while it lasted.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #8642
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
^ wat the black thing on the top left corner?
it was smaller on the last pic u posted but like double the size on ^
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #8643

that's the roof beside the balcony.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #8644
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hey guys

If you guys really want to get into it, you can discuss single versus multi image HDRs, and whats real and not…I remember there is quite a debate on that

My opinion, I dislike the overcooked tone mapping, looks to cartoonish for my liking.

I havent had any time to shoot lately, but I have a job lined up for a commercial shoot for a gym..nothing high key, but itll be fun to unholster the cam again
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #8645
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 32 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.gen View Post
here some random shieeetz, just playing around with the tamron 90mm haha

im creeped out by the grren thing with the orange mask lol
Todd Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #8646
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
where did you get the joker figure? i want
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #8647
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Here are a couple of recents:

Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #8648
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
here are three from my california trip, the rest are still on the camera:

1. taken at memorial point, south lake tahoe, nevada during sunset 2 weeks ago

2. also taken at lake tahoe, early morning light

3. taken sunset at 17 mile drive along pebble beach, carmel, nor-cal. the cypress stands alone on the ocean, away from the rest of the cypress trees, est age is 250 years old

more pics to come when i am back in vanc!
moky is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #8649
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,985 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 23 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moky View Post
here are three from my california trip, the rest are still on the camera:

1. taken at memorial point, south lake tahoe, nevada during sunset 2 weeks ago

2. also taken at lake tahoe, early morning light

3. taken sunset at 17 mile drive along pebble beach, carmel, nor-cal. the cypress stands alone on the ocean, away from the rest of the cypress trees, est age is 250 years old

more pics to come when i am back in vanc!
wow great shots! i love the first 2
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #8650
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
thanks RCUBED
are we allowed to post more than 3 a day?
moky is offline   Reply With Quote