REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:06 AM   #51
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool thanks for the help
Advertisement

Last edited by bossxx; 05-08-2007 at 05:06 AM.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #52
bkw
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I agree w/ yang. Sometimes though just turning hips doesnt create an inside path i'll have to force it a bit w/ my shoulders but creates good result

next time you play out on the course check your divot and see if its poiting left of your intended target. if its left then your comin over the top.

coming into the ball from a different angle helps a ton in trying to straighten out the ball flight.

there is a general rule for club lenghts, i have this fitting book my friend has when i get it i'll list the measurements on which length is for which height.

generally when fitting a club, the length from wrist to floor is measured and then determines general lenght of club. because it doesn't matter how tall you are, if you have ape arms you might just need a regular club b/c your arms/hands are swining the club.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #53

Good point. Looking forward to seeing the list if you can get it.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #54
bkw

i'll try n get it asap for you, its not that far from me anyways.

does anyone want to go for a round somewhere cheap, like a twilight or something. im having trouble finding people to play w/ this year, everyones working or in school and crap this summer.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #55
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally posted by redliine
Went to the range for the first time this year to hit a few balls..

Do you guys think im opening up too early (notice top middle pic)? A bunch of my balls were going right (not slicing) just started right and kept a straight path. My gf was taking pics of me (she got bored lol) and I realized hey I can analyze my swing! w00p lol

EDIT: Also noticed my back is arched quite a bit, is that normal?

Also these pics are from 6 different swings.
It would be easier to tell if there was a shot of your finish... not too sure but it looks like you would possibly end up in the "reverse c" finish. but i cant tell to well from the last shot. Anyways Your back is straight at the beginning of you backswing but you are hunched comming down and when you are making contact with the ball. Place the ball more in the center of your stance, that could help as it looks as though you are "pushing" the ball, meaning your hands should have cocked back to square at contact, whereas yours havent made it to that point causing your club face to be slightly open. Best way to expalin it... think baseball. A batter wants to hit the ball straight to center field, he will make contact with the ball with his hands coming back to square causing the ball to go to center field. if the batter wants to hit it to right field, he will make contact with the ball with his hands ahead of the bat, directing the ball to right field. if the batter wants to go to left field he will put the bat ahead of his body and hands directing it to left field. Same stuff sorta applies to golf in that perspective. Center the ball in your stance, keep your back straight, Slow down your swing to the point where you'll yawn its so slow... even if you do a full swing and it goes 50 yards but straight thats better than 150 and out of bounds. this way you can see and feel things happen better. Also keep your eye on the ball. Best way to do this is to stare at the ball and after contact is made and your are going through with your follow through let your right shoulder catch your chin and then look up... this way your eyes will be focused on the your ball until contact and a bit after. If you slow your swing down it will be easy to do this because you are able to focus alot more on what is happening. Once you feel more comfortable speed it up bit by bit using those same techniques and eventually the basics will be second nature. You should be directing where the ball is going not just swing and pray for a good shot. A good golfer will direct the ball where they want it to. You can try the "baseball" thing i described at the range to prove a point. If you want to hit a straight shot make sure everything is square at contact, if you want to play a slice or fade make contact with your grip/hands ahead of the club, hook or draw contact the ball with your hands/grip behind the ball. Try it and let me know if it works. It did for me.
Saturn2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #56
I don't get it

i was just skimming through the thread so im not sure if its been asked, but has anyone tried the new nike "Square" driver? that thing looks so ugly lol.
Gu3s5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #57
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
^ i have the round "SQ"
Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturn2nr
It would be easier to tell if there was a shot of your finish... not too sure but it looks like you would possibly end up in the "reverse c" finish. but i cant tell to well from the last shot. Anyways Your back is straight at the beginning of you backswing but you are hunched comming down and when you are making contact with the ball. Place the ball more in the center of your stance, that could help as it looks as though you are "pushing" the ball, meaning your hands should have cocked back to square at contact, whereas yours havent made it to that point causing your club face to be slightly open. Best way to expalin it... think baseball. A batter wants to hit the ball straight to center field, he will make contact with the ball with his hands coming back to square causing the ball to go to center field. if the batter wants to hit it to right field, he will make contact with the ball with his hands ahead of the bat, directing the ball to right field. if the batter wants to go to left field he will put the bat ahead of his body and hands directing it to left field. Same stuff sorta applies to golf in that perspective. Center the ball in your stance, keep your back straight, Slow down your swing to the point where you'll yawn its so slow... even if you do a full swing and it goes 50 yards but straight thats better than 150 and out of bounds. this way you can see and feel things happen better. Also keep your eye on the ball. Best way to do this is to stare at the ball and after contact is made and your are going through with your follow through let your right shoulder catch your chin and then look up... this way your eyes will be focused on the your ball until contact and a bit after. If you slow your swing down it will be easy to do this because you are able to focus alot more on what is happening. Once you feel more comfortable speed it up bit by bit using those same techniques and eventually the basics will be second nature. You should be directing where the ball is going not just swing and pray for a good shot. A good golfer will direct the ball where they want it to. You can try the "baseball" thing i described at the range to prove a point. If you want to hit a straight shot make sure everything is square at contact, if you want to play a slice or fade make contact with your grip/hands ahead of the club, hook or draw contact the ball with your hands/grip behind the ball. Try it and let me know if it works. It did for me.

Hey thanks for the reply. This is the only shot I had for my follow thru. This is more of a finish tho haha.. probably useless.

I know I have to have my club and everything back to address position when I make contact with the ball. I will focus more on it tho. Also I will try to slow my club head speed down and focus on hitting the ball square and then gradually increase my speed. I'm going golfing saturday morning tho w.out my 8 iron!! fackkkk I gotta get that head back on lol maybe I can get it done somewhere tomorrow.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #59
Need to Seek Professional Help

No problem.
From the angle of the above shot^^^
It looks like you are arched a bit. if that is the case face a mirror and do a swing as you normally would and when you are at the end of your follow through/finishing stance look at yourself to see your positioning of everything. From your head to your left foot should be completely flat up and down. your left foot should be squared off. For example, and old test would be to lay a club downpointing in the direction you want the ball to go and line your feet up parallel to each other with the toes against the club and your feet approx. shoulder width apart. set up to the ball and swing, your left foot should stay where it is(may feel awkward and restrictive at first) and your finish should be flat from head to foot like explained above. Your body weight should feel as though it is 90% on your left leg. Whole point is to swing through the ball power should transfer from right through to left.
Saturn2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:37 AM   #60
bkw

^^ saturn sounds like a pro, we might all need a lesson from him.

hey redliine, i can't write up the chart b/c there are so many variables to put down, like height wrist to floor measurement and lie angle of clubhead. just goto http://pinggolf.com/global_webfit.html and at the top it'll say DRIVER, IRONS, WEGES, PUTTER and just click on IRONS and follow the steps. when your measuring make sure your standing straight up looking forward and not kinda hunched.

its just a general guideline so don't take it to heart, the best thing to do is just goto someone who can fit it properly, at a driving range is best so you can see ball flight and impact pattern on the head.

thats if your super serious, if your just out to whack it around i wouldn't even bother unless your buying a nice new set.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #61
I don't get it

wat clubs do all u ppl have? i got mizuno mp-30s but they haven't been workin out for me too well lately. its probably more my mentality and my mechanics but i'm just wondering wat everyone is hitting with. anyone try out the new taylor mades?
Gu3s5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:48 PM   #62
Banned (BBM)

im psyched about goin to play some golf this summer. I just got a new no name graphite driver for $5 at a garage sale, its pretty nice.
I want to pick up one of those hybrid iron/drivers... any one got an opinion on those?
Id also like to get a some more Jazz irons, thats what im using now... best irons ive ever had!

Last edited by marclapierre; 05-13-2007 at 05:49 PM.
marclapierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 AM   #63
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally posted by marclapierre
im psyched about goin to play some golf this summer. I just got a new no name graphite driver for $5 at a garage sale, its pretty nice.
I want to pick up one of those hybrid iron/drivers... any one got an opinion on those?
Id also like to get a some more Jazz irons, thats what im using now... best irons ive ever had!
Jazz was my beginner club set, they are great clubs to learn golf.

I suggest Nickent DC ironwood. Riverside have them on sale for 60$ and they are sooo easy to hit.

feel free to add me!
yangwenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #64
Rs has made me the man i am today!

does anybody know of any good discount golf shops across the border? I'm thinking about going to the states for the weekend and would love to check out some stores while im over there.
sil-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #65
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
man..now since i just spend 1000$ on paintball gear

and i'm registered for power skating classes

where is golf gonna fit in lol
Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #66
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,535 Times in 536 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 8 Posts
Man this thread makes me sad... i'm trying to dump off my orlimar driver b/c its killing me not being to hit it due to wrist probs. Shameless plug, but if anyone is looking for an awesome and cheap ($90) driver... pm me. :P

Sounds like we got some real pro's on this forum heh.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #67
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 17 Times in 3 Posts
whats everyone using for their fairway woods?

ive tried almost everything and im swaying towards spoiling myself and buying the titleist 906F2s. any feedback?

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #68

Shot an 11 over at Cultus Lake. A pretty decent round. Missed about 3 or 4 fairly makeable birdies. 3 putt on 18 after dropping it within 12 ft. Fakk!!!!1

This round was like night and day compared to a couple weeks ago. Also won $25 haha woot
Old 05-31-2007, 09:07 AM   #69
bkw

^^ wheres cultus lake ? sounds kinda far hahah..
where does everyone live ? seems like everyone is playing courses from everywhere...anyone have a specific fav course ?

btw rickster im using a titleist 980 3 wood and srixon hybrid 19 deg.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 AM   #70
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 17 Times in 3 Posts
my fave is northlands. by far.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #71
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
I started playing at the Central Park Pitch'n'Putt. Does that count?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #72
bkw

haha i think i did to. the first time i actually swung a club was down in some san francisco driving range.

but central park was the first course
Old 06-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #73
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
I'm not very good to be honest. I've been doing some reading and I've been applying the theoritical applications to my swing. I think I've got the pitching wedge down to maximize distance but I've got to learn my power control and chipping. My putting is ok. I still have to learn how to overcome slants/uphills/downhills but otherwise, my putting's okay.

I'm going to stick with pitch'n'putt first and until I get it down pretty well, I'll then hit up the full golf course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-03-2007 at 11:46 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #74
Rs has made me the man i am today!

i hit up Musqueam golf course today and it was fantastic. I'm not talking about the course itself cause i wouldn't really know, but i'm just saying it was a great day out on the course (for my second time ever, and first time since i really started getting into it). I think i did ok, shot an 84 at the par 60. All in all, it was a great day.
sil-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:26 PM   #75
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,019 Times in 783 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Hey guys, I need some input on whether or not I should invest in a new set.

I've been at it for about a year now (well technically half a year since I didn't practice/play at all during the Winter) and last year my father bought me a complete set of clubs as a present.

Here's a link to the set that I'm currently using: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=115280

Now, I'm quite aware of the fact that this set is pretty shitty, but as I still consider myself somewhat of a beginner, it's decent enough as I've learned to swing properly (or so I like to think) and am able to hit the ball straight fairly consistently.

I've found that although I can hit my own clubs OK, when I try out other clubs, I find that I am able to hit them even better than I can with my own clubs. One problem that I seem to notice with my own set of clubs is that when I am about to make contact with the ball, the head seems to feel really heavy all of a sudden, which I'm guessing is due to the fact that this set isn't exactly top quality stuff. As I feel that my set right now is sort of "holding me back", I've been wanting to invest in a new set of irons.

Anyways, my sister's boyfriend just so happens to be selling one of his sets that he purchased, but has practically never used them asides from the range a couple times. For $700, he will be including the TaylorMade rac LT irons with Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 steel shafts, as well as a new Callaway ERC Fusion Driver (06 model).

I'm not too sure if I should go for buying that new set (even though it's a steal) as I'm currently using graphite shafts, but I guess since I'm still young, and a guy, I shouldn't really need to use graphite shafts anyway as I only see women and seniors with them. Also, I won't have much use for the driver yet as my only experiences playing so far have been on pitch-and-putt courses since I can only hit my short irons well, but am beginning to see improvement in my long irons.

So to sum it all up, would it be a wise or bad choice to transition from a graphite shaft beginners set to steel shaft TaylorMade's? Or should I buy something a bit cheaper and more suited towards my current skill level?

Last edited by jing; 06-17-2007 at 10:27 PM.
jing is online now   Reply With Quote