REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 06-30-2005, 10:04 AM   #51
I STILL don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
z
Advertisement

Last edited by yzfr1604; 12-29-2020 at 12:19 PM.
yzfr1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #52
I STILL don't get it

z

Last edited by yzfr1604; 12-29-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #53
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

The W5 is a very fast camera in terms of shutter lag.

77civic, the two cameras you're debating between is a tough . They're both great cameras. The panasonic has the constant 2.8 aperture which is very good.
MikesJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #54
I STILL don't get it

z

Old 06-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #55
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Failed 11 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yzfr1604
"The W5 is a very fast camera in terms of shutter lag. "

when I was using it on Saturday it felt slow.. almost 1 second. I wen't home to use my powershot S50, almost instant
Dude, the W5 and the S50 are TOTALLY different cameras. A more apt comparison would probably be S50/60 with a V1 or even V3.
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:15 PM   #56
I STILL don't get it

z

Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally posted by 77civic1200
Now I'm basically going to buy the Canon S2-IS or the Panasonic DMC-FZ5, I'll ask the guy what he thinks before I decide (he was very helpful by the way) but I was curious what you guys would choose between those two?
Quote:
Originally posted by MikesJo
77civic, the two cameras you're debating between is a tough . They're both great cameras. The panasonic has the constant 2.8 aperture which is very good.
i'm pretty sure only the fz-20 maintains a 2.8 throughout the zoom spectrum. the fz-4 and fz-5's aperature is F2.8 wide and 3.3 tele.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #58
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally posted by 77civic1200
Well it looks like I'm suposed to continue my thread in here, so here goes..

I went out last weekend to buy a camera, I talked to the guys at broadway camera and at kerrisdale camera and we came to the conclusion that I didn't really need to spend $900+ on a new camera and that a $500 dollar budget would be fine. I ended up coming home with an Olympus C-765, and while it does everything they said it would do, I'm not overly happy with it. It takes very nice pictures, good colour, good clarity, but it does it all VERY slowly, and that bugs the hell out of me. It takes a while to start up, which is not to big of a deal, but it also takes a while to focus, and a while to take the shot, then it takes like 5 seconds to save and get ready for the next shot, and thats much to slow. There were a few other things as well, no IS, lens feels loose, you have to turn it off to shange to some of the modes ect. So really it comes down to me not being happy about the purchase, and if I'm going to spend any money, I want to be happy about it. I have 14 days to take it back for an exchange, but I'm not sure if they are gonna take back the memory card as I had to cut the package to open it =(

Now I'm basically going to buy the Canon S2-IS or the Panasonic DMC-FZ5, I'll ask the guy what he thinks before I decide (he was very helpful by the way) but I was curious what you guys would choose between those two?
selling my coolpix 8700 if ure interested

FS: UBC Textbooks
endless402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:46 AM   #59

The shutter lag on the W7 was faster than the S70 when I was using them.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:19 AM   #60
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,275 Times in 303 Posts
Failed 9 Times in 9 Posts
Endless402 - ya I saw that, and If you had posted it about a week ago I probably would have considered it, but there is an exchange only policy on the one I bought, so I'm pretty much stuck getting a new one from them. I don't really mind that, they were good people, I just wish he could have warned me about how slow this camera was
Old 07-01-2005, 09:56 AM   #61
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 64 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yzfr1604
Most people will never know what a good point and shoot camera is until they have used the best. Most people will never know what to look for in a camera until they have used a digital SLR. Honestly when looking for a point a shoot digital camera, I can't stress enough how not to buy things like Olympus, Fujifilm, Pentax, Casio. If you have ever used a Canon for more then a day and you go back to those you will understand. Menus are clunky, white balances are off.

Just to show that I am not talking out of my arse. My first digital camera was in 2002, Canon Powershot A40 2 mega pixle and my cousin bought a Olympus something 2 mega pixle too. At the time I din't know any better. Now when I look back at them, the Canon is far superior. It had functions like manual and varable apature.... things unheard of at the time. The olmpus had one mode. Also the optics were far superior in picture quality.

Here is a more recent example, my friend just bought a W5, yeah the camera looks good and powerful on paper to the the average jo... 5 mega pixle and 3x optical from Caral Zeiss. Big lush 2.5 LCD screen. When I used it for 5 min's I already know it's sub par then my 2 year old Canon Powershot S50. The LCD screen has lag time (which means it blurs when move around) shot to shot time is bad from half dipression of the shutter to actual picture being taken. Optics are marginal to Canon optics even though it's Caral Zeiss....

I know I don't make a stong argument.... and I am speaking very broadly and I am sure there are exceptions or two. "Panasonic DMC-FZ5" actually looks really good on paper but you never know till you use it.

BTW: Ive owned a Powershot A40, Powershot S50, Powershot Pro1, E0S 20D....

Ive used extensivley Olympus 2 mega pixle, Powershot G5, Pentax, Fujifilms, minoltas and several Sony cameras (all my friends)

and I make my opinion based on that and all the stuff I read of the web.

my first camera was the PowerShot A40, too! I think I bought it in 2002 for 499 bucks. Yeah it was expensive back then even for a 2MP but with all the manual settings it was worth the price. The camera still functions extremely well even today, and all those manual features sure come in handy as I've learned a bit more about photography and can acutally manipulate my photos by playing with the settings. Great, great camera for its time.

That being said, I disagree with what you have said about other point-and-shoot camera makers. Sure, Canon's the best, but if you look at the newer cameras these days, the competition sure has caught on. Most camera makers these days offer models with more features and have similar picture quality as the Canons, but at a much reasonable price. So to say that ONLY Canon can make good point-and-shoot cameras sounds totally biased, it may be true a few years ago, but not in today's market.

I still like Canon's stuff over other makers, but if the competition can offer me something with similar quality, identical features, or *gasp* better design, but at a lower price range... then I don't see why we shouldn't consider getting something else OTHER than Canon.

Just my 2-cents :-)
Bonjour43MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #62

Although I love Canons, I have to say that some of the Sony cams are very nice and give the canons a run for their money. The T7 is utter garbage though. The SD line of Canon cameras are unbeatable imo. The Lumix line of small cameras arn't that great when you compare them feature wise.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #63

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
i dunnoooo but the FX7 is cool cuz it comes in so many colours
and has IS which is needed on such a small cam

too bad its so expensive in canada

and cuz they have cooler commercials

canon commercials in canada are so crappy

Old 07-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #64
HDN
I don't get it

Thoughts on Canon sd300

What are some of your thoughts on this camera? What cameras would u compare it to (in the same price range of course) and in it's price range what do you think is my best choice.

I'm looking to spend no more than 500 after taxes. Just need a good point and shoot camera, small but not too small, best image quality etc. etc. suggestions and help is appreciated!
HDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally posted by HDN
What are some of your thoughts on this camera? What cameras would u compare it to (in the same price range of course) and in it's price range what do you think is my best choice.

I'm looking to spend no more than 500 after taxes. Just need a good point and shoot camera, small but not too small, best image quality etc. etc. suggestions and help is appreciated!
Merged with "new camera" thread.
-MFC Fan # 3

Old 07-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #66
I STILL don't get it

z

Old 07-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #67
I bringith the lowerballerith

okay so i'm thinking about finally diving into the digital slr world, film is getting expensive...

I'm thinking about the Nikon D70S, but i'm not sure if buying the kit is worth it.

I've seen a lot of you praising that Tamron lens... the 28-70 (?) f2.8 ABCDEFG model (I know that's not it's actual name, but they've thrown in so many acronyms, why not). Would that be a good lens to use as my primary walkaround?

Any other suggestions for lenses? I'll still be using my film camera for some studio work and stuff, but I'd like to be able to use this for A) everyday stuff, B) portraits, C) some studio stuff, D) landscapes, etc... I know one lens won't cut it for all those things, i'm coming from a set up where i have 6 different lenses... but i'm thinking right now about going with a 28-70 type lens, and maybe a 50mm/1.8

thoughts? suggestions?

sadly my film setup is all minolta manual focus, which rocks as gear goes, all very good quality, but its completely not usable beyond that platform... so i'm starting from scratch here.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #68

Thanked 1,275 Times in 303 Posts
Failed 9 Times in 9 Posts
Just to let you know the conclussion, I managed to return the olympus without any problems and I am now the proud new owner of a Canon S2-is yay me! now as soon as I figure out how to use the spiffy new toy, I'll start a photo thread so you guys can tell me I suck =) I'm looking forward to that part
Old 07-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #69

Baldy why not the rebel xt? I like canon's lens lineup better and imo I think the Rebet xt is better than the D70S. Low light capability is better (less noise) and auto focus is faster.

Last edited by MikesJo; 07-02-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #70

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally posted by MikesJo
Baldy why not the rebel xt? I like canon's lens lineup better and imo I think the Rebet xt is better than the D70S. Low light capability is better (less noise) and auto focus is faster.

yes but it feels like a toy

Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #71
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 5 Times in 5 Posts
Which Camera? (quick reply please)

KONICA MINOLTA, DIMAGE E500, 5.0 PIXELS $120

or

CANON A510, 3.2 MEGA PIXELS, $120

It's something for a friend of mine, she told me to ask someone for some quick advice so i thought where better than here. An answer asap would be awesome as she's buying one of these within a day or two. Thanks in advance.
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:55 PM   #72

A510.

Moving to "new camera thread".
-MFC Fan # 3

Old 07-03-2005, 02:22 PM   #73
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Levitron
A510.

Moving to "new camera thread".
whoops, sorry I somehow missed this thread which was only a couple posts down.
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:15 PM   #74

Failed 61 Times in 26 Posts
^ Wondering the same thing myself. All the camera stores I've called said they cant get the D70 anymore, only the S.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:18 PM   #75
I bringith the lowerballerith

curious why you would want a d70 instead of a d70s? is it just cuz the d70 will be cheaper now? or what