REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 12-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #2326
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sigm...ages/Front.jpg

Sigma DP1 / DP2 / DP3

would be great (imo) for cityscapes 3 15mpx sensors (1 for each colour RGB) for 46mpx

does way better than the 808 pureview @ full res

Spoiler!

I'm not sure about the rest of the qualities of the camera though but i'm starting to think i should have gotten it instead of my nex as it seems to be exactly what i'd like (upon cursory inspection)
Advertisement

Last edited by StylinRed; 12-22-2013 at 02:54 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #2327
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
nikon d800e or canon 5d mk III which to choose?

as well, has anyone gotten their hands on a zeiss otus 55mm f/1.4 yet?
m_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #2328
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,582 Times in 2,658 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_coupe View Post

For cameras that high end, you're really better off googling for comparison reviews and forum discussion threads. There are literally hundreds of threads discussing these 2 bodies when they were initially released last year, and the discussion continues today as both cameras made it past their 1.5 years old mark (and thus getting some big fat discounts to rejuvenate sales). Here is one such thread to get you started:

Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon D800e? - FM Forums

When you are deciding between cameras at that level, it really shouldn't just be a matter of the camera alone, but rather a thorough analysis of the entire photography system -- camera, lens support, accessories options. Suffice to say that each system has its pros and cons.

Also, if you have already committed to one particular system, that should also play a small part in influencing your decision since it'll lower your capital investment for future purchases.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #2329
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
For cameras that high end, you're really better off googling for comparison reviews and forum discussion threads. There are literally hundreds of threads discussing these 2 bodies when they were initially released last year, and the discussion continues today as both cameras made it past their 1.5 years old mark (and thus getting some big fat discounts to rejuvenate sales). Here is one such thread to get you started:

Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon D800e? - FM Forums

When you are deciding between cameras at that level, it really shouldn't just be a matter of the camera alone, but rather a thorough analysis of the entire photography system -- camera, lens support, accessories options. Suffice to say that each system has its pros and cons.

Also, if you have already committed to one particular system, that should also play a small part in influencing your decision since it'll lower your capital investment for future purchases.

that is a very precise and knowledgeable response/post thank you very much.

does anyone know of a refresh/upgrade of these two camera's for 2014 then?
m_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #2330
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
Failed 62 Times in 28 Posts
I have a 5D MK3, its good I like it! You should get one too!
Old 12-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #2331
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 45 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:

if you haven't invested money into canon or nikon lenses, i would choose the d800. the d800 blows away the mkiii in dynamic range and megapixels. on the other hand, the mkiii will preform better at higher iso. i own the mkiii and if i wasn't so heavily invested in the canon ecosystem, i would buy the d800 myself.
sunny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #2332

Quote:
does anyone know of a refresh/upgrade of these two camera's for 2014 then?
There are always rumours circulating non-stop regarding both the C and N companies' next release cycles, but generally speaking, no one outside of the companies really have a good grasp of when the next gen pro bodies will get released until they are almost production ready. Given that both cameras have only been around for about 18-19 months, I personally think it is unlikely for either products to get updated or overhauled in the next 12 months. But beyond that, things become a lot less certain.

If past history is any indication, I think both cameras should see around ~3+ years worth of production. But really, that is nothing more than my educated wild guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
if you haven't invested money into canon or nikon lenses, i would choose the d800. the d800 blows away the mkiii in dynamic range and megapixels. on the other hand, the mkiii will preform better at higher iso. i own the mkiii and if i wasn't so heavily invested in the canon ecosystem, i would buy the d800 myself.
The D800E definitely has a better sensor than the 5D3, but unless the user really requires all those extra megapixels (for large format prints and/or aggressive cropping), I personally don't see the megapixel advantage as any advantage at all. It is really just that -- you have more megapixels. It doesn't really make it better or worse.

I'd also say that in general, Nikon has better flash metering, so that's another advantage to the D800E.

On the other hand, the 5D3 has a more sophisticated AF and higher burst rate, so that makes it more suitable for situations when those features would come in handy -- sports photography readily comes to mind. Additionally, I'd also say that the Canon EF lens collection is more comprehensive and offers more flexibility than the Nikkor system.

At the end of the day, it really comes down to what kind of photography you do more often, what kind of investments you have made, and in my case, which user interface you feels more intuitive with. They are both excellent cameras that have more capability than what I can exploit. So do some homework before blowing your hard earned $$$ on one system or the other.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #2333
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Failed 62 Times in 24 Posts
Thanks for the replies about the 6D vs 5D MK3.

I think I decided to go with the 6D and the package right now on Futureshop seems like a pretty good deal.

Canon EOS 6D 20.2MP DSLR with 24-105mm Lens Kit with EOS Accessory Kit : DSLR Bundles - Future Shop

If I decide to sell the lens later on, total cost for just the body would be about 1700 with the extra batteries and the camera bag.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #2334
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 13 Posts
^Very good deal. I bit at 2299 with no extra battery and strap and bag, though I didn't really need them. If you're someone who needs more extra batteries, check out the Wasabi set on amazon.com. I have a pair and they are just as good as oem at a fraction of the price.

The kit lens is a very good lens, but I sold mine for a 50 1.4 with cash left over to decide where to go from there. The only thing I see the 24-105 being great at is travel convenience. Otherwise I'd sell it for better glass right away.

If you don't care about the accessory package, give Broadway Camera a call to see what their price is. 2199 seems to be the MAP price- so it's likely that in store they will have it for cheaper.

http://www.bccamera.com/canon-6d-bod...-usm-lens.html

EDIT: It looks like they have the exact package for the same price. Check with them to see if it's cheaper in store.

m_coupe- if you're not shooting anything fast-moving often (sports, children, pets) I'd go with the Nikon if you're starting from scratch. I'd suggest the Sony A7r if you had good glass already, but if you're starting from scratch I'd likely go d800/e if you don't mind the bulk. The AF on the Nikon is no slouch, but compared to the 5d3 it looks like night and day. That said, the dynamic range on the Sony sensors are no joke. Just google comparisons, and you'll see just how much shadow recovery you can get from a d800/e/A7r without picture degradation (in Canon's case, banding and increased colour noise). It's jaw-dropping. Even though they're priced similarly, they're really for totally different uses/scenerios.

Last edited by m3thods; 12-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #2335
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 166 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !MiKrofT View Post
Higher megapixel doesn't always mean better.
your iphone may have 12MP, but good luck taking a photo in darkness

i can have a 5mp dslr, take a photo in darkness and it will come out as if its daylight.

+1
maksimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #2336
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Failed 31 Times in 15 Posts
Just bought the Sony Nex 6 and got it just on Friday, through the Boxing day sale, $200 off.

Great camera!

The only thing I wanted, that isn't a feature, is to adjust the brightness on the flash itself.

Will experiment more.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #2337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
Just bought the Sony Nex 6 and got it just on Friday, through the Boxing day sale, $200 off.

Great camera!

The only thing I wanted, that isn't a feature, is to adjust the brightness on the flash itself.

Will experiment more.
From what I've read, FEC (flash exposure compensation) should be one of the available features on this camera.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #2338
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Failed 31 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
From what I've read, FEC (flash exposure compensation) should be one of the available features on this camera.
Great thank you!

Had to dig through the manual, and found it.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #2339
I STILL don't get it

Failed 24 Times in 4 Posts
I'm planning on travelling extensively next year and want to invest in a DSLR to start learning how to do amateur photography. I'm a complete noob at photography and am looking for a starter DSLR. I don't have a special preference for a brand and would appreciate any advice, even if it is to sift through the 90+ pages of this thread...
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #2340

Sift through the thread

Jokes aside- are you using the camera solely for travel purposes? Do you have any interest in photography aside from "I want better pictures to take away from my vacation"?

The reason I ask is because there are A TON of excellent non-dslr choices.

Do you see yourself buying different lenses for different purposes? Or would you prefer a "one-lens-fits-all" solution?

You're in a unique situation in that you have no allegiances or previous gear or anything. You have a clean slate.

If you think this is going to be a fad with you after you travel and just want really nice pictures on your vacation, I suggest just getting a really good point and shoot. On the low end you can find a Canon S110 or S200. If you really care about image quality, go for a Sony RX100 II. It is EXCELLENT. You'll be paying a starter dslr price, but it's small, discrete, has excellent IQ, and you don't need to buy extra lenses.

If you think you want interchangeable lenses, but may be weary about SLR bulk, invest in a micro 4/3ds solution from Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax, etc. Here there is a wider range in terms of price. Low end? Find a PEN or clearance Pana. High end? Pentax OMD-1 or the OMD-5, which is smaller and cheaper. Here you get starter dslr quality in every sense: IQ, quality lenses, rugged bodies, all in a much smaller package. But for the Pentax cameras, you're looking at 1000+ dollars. There is also the very-excellent Fuji X-series cameras which are awesome. But since you're asking for "starter dslrs", these will likely be out of your expected price range.

If you get to this point without making up your mind, it seems as though you're really bent on getting a dslr.

I'll ask again- do you think you'll see yourself using this outside of your vacation? If not, see above.

If you do, and you think that you might like taking photos with a dslr, then the best advice anyone can give you is "spend less on the body, and spend the majority of your money on glass".

Glass will have a bigger effect on your pictures than the body (in most cases). They also depreciate less than bodies. And if you invest in the right lenses, you can often sell them on the used market for close to what you paid.

As for dslrs, it depends how much you want to spend. Between Canon Rebels and Nikon d3x00/d5x00, go in store and see what you like. If you want to spend more, there's the Canon x0D (60D, 70D) and the Nikon d7000/d7100. Higher still are the entry-level full frames (Canon 6D, Nikon D610). Then you start getting into the professional stuff.

As you can see- there are a number of choices depending on your budget. If I were starting fresh, I would look for a used body, and buy some nice glass depending on what exactly you wanted to shoot. There are plenty of used "entry-level" dslrs on craigslist because everybody and their grandmothers thought that it was a good idea to get one for "better pictures", but decided to sell them after they found they weren't being used.

I hope you enjoyed the read. Really sit down and think hard about whether you want a dslr. If you do, then come back with more specific questions so we can all help you out better.

Last edited by m3thods; 01-12-2014 at 02:22 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #2341
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 41 Times in 13 Posts
Is there a big difference between Canon t3i and Nikon D3100 for a beginner? I've been trying to look for a used t3i w/ lens for around $400 but I it's near impossible. On the other hand, the D3100 w/ lens is much easier to find for around that price. So I might lean towards the nikon if there isn't that big of a difference.
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr33pUh View Post
Is there a big difference between Canon t3i and Nikon D3100 for a beginner? I've been trying to look for a used t3i w/ lens for around $400 but I it's near impossible. On the other hand, the D3100 w/ lens is much easier to find for around that price. So I might lean towards the nikon if there isn't that big of a difference.
It's not a huge difference. The Canon has a higher max ISO by a stop.

Canon T3i vs Nikon D3100 - Our Analysis

The flip-out screen is pretty handy on the Canon. Otherwise imo it's a toss-up.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #2343
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,327 Times in 1,460 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
For that price, why not buy a used D90?

I bought a D80 for about $300 with a kit lens last year. The extra dial and top LCD made it extremely easy for me to learn all my camera's settings and to change settings on the fly.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D3100-vs-Nikon_D90

The only thing the D3100 wins is the extra stop in ISO.

I've since upgraded to a D7000, but comparing the photos I've taken with both cameras, the D80 gave me such rich colours that I can't seem to replicate with my D7000. I believe the D90 colours are on-par with the D80.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #2344
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
For that price, why not buy a used D90?

I bought a D80 for about $300 with a kit lens last year. The extra dial and top LCD made it extremely easy for me to learn all my camera's settings and to change settings on the fly.

Nikon D3100 vs D90 - Our Analysis

The only thing the D3100 wins is the extra stop in ISO.

I've since upgraded to a D7000, but comparing the photos I've taken with both cameras, the D80 gave me such rich colours that I can't seem to replicate with my D7000. I believe the D90 colours are on-par with the D80.
TBH, I've only looked into Canon cameras. Only reason I know about the D3100 is due to people comparing the t3i to the D3100.

Since I'm just a beginner, I obviously want to get the best bang for my buck at a low price. Don't want to invest too much and then have a tough time selling the camera out if I don't like it.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #2345
I don't get it

Failed 66 Times in 8 Posts
T2i and T3i's are pretty much the same sans the flippy screen. T3i's are closer to D5100 than the D3100.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a T2i body for around $250 on Craigs and go to Kerrisdale Cameras to buy a used kit lens for ~$50-100.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr33pUh View Post
TBH, I've only looked into Canon cameras. Only reason I know about the D3100 is due to people comparing the t3i to the D3100.

Since I'm just a beginner, I obviously want to get the best bang for my buck at a low price. Don't want to invest too much and then have a tough time selling the camera out if I don't like it.
The used market is saturated with T2i/T3i/T4i/T5i and Nikon d3x00 variants.

If you buy a new "beginner" camera, you'll likely have a harder time selling it at the price you're thinking because there will always be cheaper options.

Like others have suggested, I'd get an older used camera and spend money on glass. That way if you decide to sell, you'll likely lose very little in the process (even though it might take longer).
Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #2347
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
The used market is saturated with T2i/T3i/T4i/T5i and Nikon d3x00 variants.

If you buy a new "beginner" camera, you'll likely have a harder time selling it at the price you're thinking because there will always be cheaper options.

Like others have suggested, I'd get an older used camera and spend money on glass. That way if you decide to sell, you'll likely lose very little in the process (even though it might take longer).
Yeah, I've decided to broaden my range to t2i, t3i, d3100, d3200, d5100, d5200, and d90 like the person above suggested.

Craigslist prices are pretty bad, most cameras are >400 with lens.

What are considered good prices for those used bodies with/without lens? maybe my expectations are too high.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #2348
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 65 Posts
If i were you id toss the whole Canon lineup all together unless your debating on going fullframe. Nikon makes far more superior entry level DSLRs than Canon. Dont judge too much by ISO performance either, generally speaking all DX formats are bad after ISO1000.

As previously stated, try to find a decent d90 or d7000 on craigslist and pair it a prime or an 18-105mm ($250 on craigslist). Dont even look at any of the Canon Rebel series, your money is worth more and can buy you better Nikon equipment.

Look at the comparison between the old ass d90 vs the newer T5i.. The D90 still kicks ass till this day!
Canon T5i vs Nikon D90 - Our Analysis

> 2005 Acura TSX ASPEC <
> 2003 Acura RSX-S <
> 1994 Acura Intergra LS <
> 1994 Honda Civic SI <
> 1991 Acura Integra GS < ( RIP )
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #2349

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EuroRSN- View Post
If i were you id toss the whole Canon lineup all together unless your debating on going fullframe. Nikon makes far more superior entry level DSLRs than Canon. Dont judge too much by ISO performance either, generally speaking all DX formats are bad after ISO1000.
LOL~ I am not familiar enough with the Rebel line, but I wouldn't say the entire line of Canon crop body cameras are junk. At the very least, the Canon 60D, 70D, and 7D are all very nice crop body cameras.

Also, I continue to stress that the Canon EOS EF lenses offer a much wider selection to choose from, compared to the Nikkor offerings. As every veteran photographer will tell you, good glass makes for a bigger difference than the body itself.

That is not to say Nikon cameras are junk. In fact, Nikon makes some very capable bodies. What I am trying to say is, if someone hasn't already committed to either system yet, both camps offer competitive products.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #2350
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 13 Times in 2 Posts
Hi guys I'm looking to buy my first camera. I plan on mostly shooting video. I'd say $450 is my absolute max. I did do a little googling and I guess the Canon T3i is the best option? Any recommendations or thoughts?
JACKED is offline   Reply With Quote