REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 08-03-2021, 08:04 PM   #11451
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Space Jam 2
2/10
I'm not sure if it was nostalgia but the original one is much better. I fell asleep 3 times and even my 4 year old daughter was like "I'm done with this" about halfway through. Full of cheese and no comedy. The few minutes from Bill Murray was better than this entire movie.
Advertisement
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #11452
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Disney's Jungle Cruise

I enjoyed it with the kids. i'd give it an 8/10
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #11453
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,059 Times in 3,942 Posts
Heat (1995) - 7/10
The story was well done, lots of interesting characters that were all fleshed out nicely and you didn't always know until later how they would be relevant. A few cheesy cliches but overall solid. Even if you don't plan to watch the movie I recommend reading a plot summary and watching the coffee scene because that was excellent.

One thing I would note, I went into it thinking it was a heist movie. I'd argue it's not a heist movie, it's a drama that happens to have a heist, as the heist isn't the main focus (it's really pretty minimal) like it is in other movies. So don't expect a bunch of time spent on the planning and execution because that doesn't happen.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I highly recommend you go back to it one day when you're in the mood for a long movie. This is one of my all time favourites.
Does it pick up a bit? When I gave up I realized I just didn't care about what was happening and I didn't want to risk another 2 hrs and 20 mins of the same to find out if it was going to interest me.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #11454
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^ Saw Sung Kang interviewing Lucas Black the other day kind of catching up and reminiscing... lol... he looks like he'd be down for sure! It's startling how old everyone has gotten, makes me feel fuckin awful hahaha
Lol same here. The end scene, I’m like shitttt everyone looks old here…then I slowly realize how old I am
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #11455
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,629 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
^ Saw Sung Kang interviewing Lucas Black the other day kind of catching up and reminiscing... lol... he looks like he'd be down for sure! It's startling how old everyone has gotten, makes me feel fuckin awful hahaha
they need to have an FF spinoff and take it back to being about cars
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #11456
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Next FF movie is going to be a Star Wars cross-over, except without Star Wars.
Light sabers and X-Wings
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #11457
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Black Widow 4/10

wow did the car chase scenes feel un-inspiring, what even felt even worse was this movie felt like one of those "Woke" movies where they need to feel it has to have "WOMEN Empowerment" and create a whole world where every single bad person is female.

i have never witnessed a marvel movie be absolute shit compared to how interesting "Luki" was

bring up Ant man & Wasp to forget about this weak bullshit.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #11458
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,947 Times in 8,264 Posts
I remember when people first started complaining about all the villains in movies being male and the heroes female. Now they've gone straight on to complaining about too many women being in a movie.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:30 AM   #11459
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
marvel was known to be "Comic-Accurate", just stick to the source material verse femwashing an entire storyline.

the good thing is hollywood has crashed another "all female" cast due to poor writing that's unfocused & so out of touch
Old 08-06-2021, 03:27 AM   #11460

Just wait'll this guy finds out that Thor and Wolverine have been portrayed by women in the comics, and movies will be sure to reflect that. And a Black Captain America?

I agree Black Widow is not very good, but this 'femwashing' stuff is weird. Mainstream US movies/books/tv/cartoons/etc have been starring regular ol' white men for literally the history of film. Now some have women, and people are getting all upset about it.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #11461
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,868 Times in 2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Disney's Jungle Cruise

I enjoyed it with the kids. i'd give it an 8/10
same, did not fall asleep which i was pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #11462
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,831 Times in 1,821 Posts
Anyone see Suicide Squad yet?
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:51 PM   #11463
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,063 Times in 5,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Just wait'll this guy finds out that Thor and Wolverine have been portrayed by women in the comics, and movies will be sure to reflect that. And a Black Captain America?

I agree Black Widow is not very good, but this 'femwashing' stuff is weird. Mainstream US movies/books/tv/cartoons/etc have been starring regular ol' white men for literally the history of film. Now some have women, and people are getting all upset about it.
I unsuccessfully brought up this point before... it sucks when it's done in such a way that it's like "LOOK AT US WE ARE PROGRESSIVE! SEE! PROGRESSIVE!!! BUY OUR STUFF!!!!"

I just wish it felt natural and everyone wasn't introduced with over the top campy acting or special effects and like BOOM here I am in your face wooooooo by the way I'm here to prove we are a progressive company bam bam!!"

It's like British comedy VS American sitcom comedy... natural and a wink and nod style that respects the intelligence of their audience VS needing a laugh track and a character mugging a camera for 3 seconds to make sure everyone realizes the joke is now because they think everyone is dumb and won't get it (and they're probably right lol).
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2021, 11:54 PM   #11464
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Anyone see Suicide Squad yet?
Watched it today... it suffers from what I just said about taking it's humour to an almost painful level of BY THE WAY THIS IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOU LAUGH moments... it's Guardians of the Galaxy on steroids and you would be completely unsurprised to see that James Gunn directed it even if you didn't know that going in.

Trying way too hard to not take itself seriously... some genuinely good and funny moments are definitely scattered throughout the movie, but the villain/big final battle is such a WEAK overly comedic Sponge Bob looking cartoony mess of a character that it makes you feel like there's no real danger and too many characters that should mean something when they die and provoke emotion end up making you shrug your shoulders because their death is always accompanied by a joke of some sort.

I think it's a 6/10. I preferred the first one.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:20 AM   #11465

Quote:
I unsuccessfully brought up this point before... it sucks when it's done in such a way that it's like "LOOK AT US WE ARE PROGRESSIVE! SEE! PROGRESSIVE!!! BUY OUR STUFF!!!!"

I just wish it felt natural and everyone wasn't introduced with over the top campy acting or special effects and like BOOM here I am in your face wooooooo by the way I'm here to prove we are a progressive company bam bam!!"

It's like British comedy VS American sitcom comedy... natural and a wink and nod style that respects the intelligence of their audience VS needing a laugh track and a character mugging a camera for 3 seconds to make sure everyone realizes the joke is now because they think everyone is dumb and won't get it (and they're probably right lol).
"Woke Disney" is definitely an issue, especially with the live adaptations of classics. There are some important criticisms to make, and they are very much going about it in a clumsy, cheap, easy way where the goal isn't to promote feminism, it's to sell merchandise and white wash their history.

But Black Widow wasn't the one to go after for this, IMO

If someone wants to make the argument that it is, by all means. I'm here for it. But if your main complaint is that there's too many women on the cast.. yeah, no, that's not a problem I don't think.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2021, 06:04 AM   #11466
Performance Moderator

I haven’t seen Black Widow yet I’ll have to check it out soon but yah I think that argument sounds incredibly dubious lol
Old 08-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #11467
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,397 Times in 2,476 Posts
Good will hunting 9.5/10

Rewatched this for the first time since watching it as a kid with my parents. After hearing Matt Damon on podcasts promoting his new movie, there's been a lot of talk about Good will hunting and so decided to rewatch it.

Totally holds up, the script is amazing considering this was their first movie and they were just in their early 20s.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:26 AM   #11468
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,783 Times in 920 Posts
Suicide Squad - I liked it, it's what I hoped the first movie was but ultimately wasn't even close. Over the top kills, the humor I came to expect. Met my expectations and was the perfect 2 hrs of mindless action I needed

Paper Tigers - A new martial arts comedy on Netflix. I randomly came across it yesterday on the main page thinking I was just throwing something on as background content. I quickly realized the guys from Martial Club are in it albeit a small role so I ended up paying attention. Shiet I was pleasantly surprised. Yea whatever it ain't winning no awards, if you view it from critic angle yea it probably sucks on many levels but honestly who would even look at a movie like this from that light anyway. It was the right amount of funny, had some decent action, totally enjoyable.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #11469

Thanked 4,831 Times in 1,821 Posts
We saw Suicide Squad last night @ Brentwood.

8/10 - We both enjoyed it, much better than the first, pretty violent too, my kinda comic flick.

By the way, those new Brentwood theaters are great, I can't even go back to a regular theater now. Those reclining chairs are so comfortable. With the distancing in the theater, the recliners together felt like a full on at home movie experience.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #11470

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
The Suicide Squad - 7.8/10 - I'd darn near give it a 9 if we're comparing it to the first one. The opening was kinda WTF but then it explained itself. Interesting pacing and cinematography; great action; surprisingly gory; all around an entertaining watch.

Those Who Wish Me Dead - 7.5/10 - Good acting, acceptable story, cool forest fire scenes, pretty good suspense. All around a decent drama.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #11471
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,608 Times in 4,316 Posts
VAL - 10/10

Such an incredible story about Val Kilmer's life all footage shot by him from when he was a child to current age.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #11472
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,369 Times in 985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
The Suicide Squad - 7.8/10 - I'd darn near give it a 9 if we're comparing it to the first one. The opening was kinda WTF but then it explained itself. Interesting pacing and cinematography; great action; surprisingly gory; all around an entertaining watch.
I think the issue for this movie for me wasn't the characters and the cinemagraphy cause it absolutely beautiful. I just didn't like how the strings of each character was being pulled in 10 different ways for a very minimal side story.

Couldn't really connect with the movie at all.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:23 AM   #11473
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,369 Times in 985 Posts

saw this in the theatres tonight with my dad
wow. Last movie with the director of Mr. Benny Chan. Honestly, 1 movie per year that's decent so I'm happy to see this.
Nicolas plays the villian and it wasn't bad.
there is a 3 hr version but this is a 2 hr cut. Good action + fighting as always with Donnie yen. There were a few flow / slower bits but all in all, solid HK action / cop / drug bust type movie.

I wouldn't watch the trailer so i thoguht it was worth a theatre watch.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #11474
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
F9 - 3/10

The more theses movies come out, the better the older movies look. Charlize Theron is a horrible villain. This is probably the worst movie out of the 9 thats come out so far.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #11475
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
F9 - they are no longer just street racers, they are also space explorers lol
6/10
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote