REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 01-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #11601
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,381 Times in 2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
7/10 for Eternals, honestly it wasn't better or worse than Shang Chi for a spec Marvel movie, yet Shang Chi gets a ton of praise? I think people already decided how they felt about the movie before watching and looked for things to nitpick.
Exactly this. Tbh I enjoyed it as much if not more than Shang Chi, which was pretty much the same storyline as Black Panther.

Kid from secret civilization goes to modern day society. Danger threatens the secret civilization. Kid reconnects with secret civilization. Kid saves secret civilization and becomes part of the Avengers.
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:04 PM   #11602
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,420 Times in 2,575 Posts
I get the impresison that a lot of the praise for Shang Chi comes from the N.American born Chinese community, esp from the US. I suppose Simu Liu / Shang Chi gave them something they could really relate to / identify with, and that probably helped a lot with the movie watcher reviews.

I'd personally give Shang Chi a 5+1 out of 10. I found most things with Shang Chi to be rather cliche and/or corny, and there were definitely some nonsensical moments too. But at least there were some good funny parts, and I enjoyed the physical stunts (in Shang Chi) far more than I did with the SFX in Eternals. So that's where the +1 came in for Shang Chi.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:10 PM   #11603
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,947 Times in 8,264 Posts
Yeah that's the point I've been trying to make.. They all have a formula with different gimmicks. I won't spoiler the Spiderman one, but with Shang Chi you had the Chinese gimmick, with Black Panther it was African, with Captain Marvel it was having a woman more powerful than any other superhero, and so on.

At the core they're all just dumb theme park rides, which is totally fine and enjoyable enough to be worth seeing in theatres, but if you go on the ride too many times it gets boring.

Throw in a movie with totally unknown characters and boring promotion, you get the reaction people have to Eternals. Based on the promotional matieral, it actually looks like a ripoff of Marvel movie, below even DC level
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:29 PM   #11604
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Shang chi 6.5

Dune 6.75 (I’d give the old dune a solid 6 lol)

The last duel 8.5

Nightmare alley 7.75

Don’t look up 7

Spider-Man 7.5… maybe 8 just cuz nostalgia throw back shit. I am impressed they got all those actors together and they didnt just have small roles.

The last duel was really good, too bad barely anyone saw it.

That being said i think my top two marvel movies are prob iron man 1 and the newest Spider-Man. I’m not really a big marvel movie guy. I think iron man 1 and newest Spider-Man are better than any of the avengers stuff.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #11605

Thanked 1,783 Times in 920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
Shang chi 6.5

Dune 6.75 (I’d give the old dune a solid 6 lol)

The last duel 8.5

Nightmare alley 7.75

Don’t look up 7

Spider-Man 7.5… maybe 8 just cuz nostalgia throw back shit. I am impressed they got all those actors together and they didnt just have small roles.

The last duel was really good, too bad barely anyone saw it.

That being said i think my top two marvel movies are prob iron man 1 and the newest Spider-Man. I’m not really a big marvel movie guy. I think iron man 1 and newest Spider-Man are better than any of the avengers stuff.
During this whole Marvel journey more often than not when the movie came out I had positive vibes after the movie. That said, rewatching these over the years most of them have not aged well for me. I can barely stand most of them now.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #11606

I can't imagine rewatching a Marvel movie... Well other than the one I fell asleep the first time (and did again the second time)
Old 01-29-2022, 08:47 PM   #11607
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,248 Posts
Yeah I usually enjoy a Marvel movie but it's a one and done. I can probably say that about most movies made after 2005 though. Shit to think I've probably watched Fight Club over 20 times I can't imagine wanting to watch any new movies ever again.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2022, 10:00 PM   #11608
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,369 Times in 985 Posts
spider man was like wtfff
i love dr.strange so i had to watch it and to see all the other spiderman was like whatttttttt

i was entertained but then the fights took over and it was typical cartoon. GOod decent watch to say the least.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2022, 02:23 AM   #11609

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Yeah I usually enjoy a Marvel movie but it's a one and done. I can probably say that about most movies made after 2005 though. Shit to think I've probably watched Fight Club over 20 times I can't imagine wanting to watch any new movies ever again.
So many movies I watch over and over, but you're right, nothing after 2005 or so, or maybe a bit after that.

When mainstream movies became theme park rides, they stopped being rewatchable.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:04 PM   #11610

Thanked 1,783 Times in 920 Posts
Lol yea I think post 2005ish movies I've actually re watched either purposely or it came on and I was fine with it were Superbad, Hangover, and the Bale Batman movies. I'm sure there are a few more but those definitely come to mind.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:36 PM   #11611
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,046 Times in 5,339 Posts
There are definitely some comedy movies that I didn’t like when they came out but re-watching them years later were uproariously funny to me and left me wondering why I hated it so much when it came out… Anchorman was one of those for me
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #11612
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,715 Posts
I liked Shang-Chi, but the 3rd act took a dive for me.
Spider-Man was alright, but I didn't care for the fan service, which I felt was the gimmick for the movie.
Eternals was just trash imo. Too many characters, not enough time to develop any of them, and therefore, didn't care for any of them.

TBH, I feel like I'm done with MCU...

I've always been more of a fan of stuff that is grounded in reality with exaggerated abilities. But the characters at this point are becoming way too powerful, with the multiverse stuff happening, it sounds like the plot is just going to get more complicated. Characters are starting to get more and more powerful, it makes you wonder where does earth power tier characters even fit in and if they even matter anymore.

I think the End Game and phase 3 is a good ending for me.
I also don't care for the Disney+ shows and I don't want to feel like I need to watch all of that just to fully understand phase 4 and onward. Just feels like a huge cash cow now.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2022, 11:37 AM   #11613
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,827 Times in 1,819 Posts
Which is why it's a shame they fucked up the X-Men so badly.

I get that Marvel needs to sit a few years on the franchise for people to forget, but honestly I feel like it's their best IP for film.

X-Men is way more grounded in reality, and carries a wide range of stories that fit perfectly into current culture and relatable issues.

A damn shame we won't see it used for a long time to come.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #11614
Performance Moderator

I'm only about half way through this movie and it's frickin 3 hours long... but it's very, very well done... unashamed to admit I was initially drawn in by the Saab and I'm a sucker for most things Japanese, but it's a remarkably thoughtful and emotional movie so far:

This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2022, 11:44 PM   #11615

THe Last Duel

2/10

I've never seen such a collection of despicable, rotten side characters in a movie before. Literally everyone is disgusting, except one person. And yeah you want to see the protagonist triumph over evil, but this movie didn't effectively get to that.

Just an awful, wretched collection of characters. And yeah I know it's supposed to be set in a brutal patriarchal time and all that, but I don't want to sit through it and endure it for 2 hours only to get no real justice at the end.

Not every movie is a 'feel good experience' but I'm not into watching these fuckers for that long.. Not these days anyway lol

I gave it a 2 though because the duel scene was good and Jodie Comer was great.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:17 PM   #11616

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
anyone want a "uncharted" movie ticket for free to cineplex... DM me and i'll send over to watch it.

29.99 it'll cover. so pick whatever format you need it in.

Last edited by Mr.Money; 02-22-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Mr.Money is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2022, 03:51 PM   #11617

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
G0rilla got the ticket code for cineplex...congrats..

i got it for buying uncharted on ps5 but i know i'm away from the city.

enjoy the movie bud... nice to do something for somene.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #11618
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,420 Times in 2,575 Posts
The Adam Project
6/10

Finished watching it over 2 nights. The movie itself is a fairly typical flick -- a bit of drama, humour, action, love, etc. It has its moments, but is really nothing to write home about.

What kept me interested the whole time was, since the movie was shot in Vancouver, I kept watching, thinking, and guessing where the scenes were shot.

Spoiler!

It's always good to see movies being shot in Hollywood North.

Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 12:54 PM   #11619
Performance Moderator

Uncharted 7.5/10

I was entertained! I saw the RT score was like 30% and audience is 90+ so I expected it would be cool to watch... some good scenes, it pretty much follows the script of the last game on PS4 to a tee with some variations to keep things in scope for a movie. Some of the plot had holes if you follow the game series and things don't make sense because of how they handled Nate's brother and whatnot...

Tom Holland has a lot of charisma/star power. I felt like Mark Wahlberg was alright, BUT, he was kind of acting like he was trying to be Ryan Reynolds at times instead of the character that I know to be Sully. I feel like Ryan Reynolds would have actually been a better Sully if they were making him younger like the movie did.

I felt pretty happy about it after having played all the games!
Old 03-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #11620
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Spider-Man: No Way Home 8/10
One of the best Spider-man movie

Last edited by Bender Unit; 03-16-2022 at 01:08 PM.
Bender Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:07 PM   #11621

@Traum thanks for the recommendation, the Adam Project thought it was ok. yes, it was good to see Van in the background. Again, very Ryan type movies ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I'm only about half way through this movie and it's frickin 3 hours long... but it's very, very well done... unashamed to admit I was initially drawn in by the Saab and I'm a sucker for most things Japanese, but it's a remarkably thoughtful and emotional movie so far:
i'm on the last hr of it so it's a long grind ahahhaah
can't wait to see what the movie plays out.
Old 04-05-2022, 09:04 PM   #11622

Death on the Nile
i thought it was ok. I didn't like the fact it was really shitty CGI, but of course, the story by Agatha Christie kept me watching till the end.

Was it the best drama, no, but it did keep the mystery and me trying to find out who the person was. 7/10

the previous one was Murder on the Orient Express and this was very similar.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:19 AM   #11623

Licorice Pizza 10/10

Or really, 11/10

If 2022 needed one movie to happen, it's this one. A nostalgic bomb to the 70's (but 80's kids can relate), a wonderful romantic story with two brand new lead actors who the camera absolutely adores. Some drama and tension, but it doesn't delve into cheesy melodrama territory. It is so wonderfully and infectiously optimistic, it would feel completely ridiculous if it was made 5 or 10 (or even 3) years ago. But today, we need stuff like this.

If bubble gum ice cream were a movie, it would be this.

If you think my tastes in movies are anywhere close to yours based on my posts in this thread, watch it watch it watch it!
Old 04-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #11624

Thanked 7,381 Times in 2,472 Posts
tbh if we're talking about nostalgia bomb with unknown actors, I felt Mid90's, written and directed by Jonah Hill, was better directed and edited. I felt it was just a more coherent story, whereas Licorice Pizza felt disjointed from scheme to scheme.

Perhaps one to check out if you haven't yet, would be interested to see if I am off base or not.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2022, 08:53 AM   #11625

I'll go check that out.. I agree with the disjointed feel, but I think that's completely intentional, giving it a feeling of recalling old memories from decades ago of your first love
This post thanked by: