REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 08-21-2024, 08:41 AM   #12126
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts

i don't know why, maybe it was Helen Hunt (shows how old I am) but I did watch the previous one. It was great when I saw then and now it was just meh.

CGI was a bit crappy esp at the end. I think the ending wasn't written well at all. How do you still play baseball when you know there is a tornado. Yeah forest fire warnings are meh but when it's less than 50km from you, you'll be on high alert.

Back in the 90s, you might think stuff make sense, now, not so much.

SO yeah, if i anchor my car into grass by 2 feet, then it won't get blown away LOL.

I'm glad they didn't pull on the romance line too much as the character just didn't really give me great chemistry (Glen P did do a good job); but all in all, it was nostalgic to see a remake. Just a bit too much of a loop hole for me to really appreciate the movie.

Even though there was no action in Fly me to the moon, i much rather watch that than this Twister movie.
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 10:02 AM   #12127
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Alien Romulus.

SIGH....... I hate moves nowadays, I dunno what it is, whether it's modern writing, or my perceptions have changed.

Everything nowadays just seems so formulaic, derivative, nothing is unique or new, you can guess a plot and outcome within the first 20 minutes of movies nowadays.

This film was so odd, it felt like it was written by AI or something, definite rewrites had happened. The first 30 minutes of the film were FANTASTIC, then it changed into a completely different, goofy, corny film. It was jarring, and turned into a typical modern action slog fest.

Very disappointing, Prometheus was a much better film IMHO.

6/10, I'd give it a 5, but I'll add an extra point for the practical effects.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2024, 01:11 PM   #12128
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Oh man, chubby sedated
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2024, 01:43 PM   #12129
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,390 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Alien Romulus.

SIGH....... I hate moves nowadays, I dunno what it is, whether it's modern writing, or my perceptions have changed.

Everything nowadays just seems so formulaic, derivative, nothing is unique or new, you can guess a plot and outcome within the first 20 minutes of movies nowadays.

This film was so odd, it felt like it was written by AI or something, definite rewrites had happened. The first 30 minutes of the film were FANTASTIC, then it changed into a completely different, goofy, corny film. It was jarring, and turned into a typical modern action slog fest.

Very disappointing, Prometheus was a much better film IMHO.

6/10, I'd give it a 5, but I'll add an extra point for the practical effects.
Movies and new TV shows are so shit now, with a few rare exceptions.

I'm hoping Beetlejuice is one
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 08:47 AM   #12130

I really wanted to like this one, but another disappointment.

It seems like we're now seeing the results of all the good older script writers and show runners that have now aged out and retired from the industry.

This new generation of writers/runners just don't know how to take risks and make a good film/TV show.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:00 AM   #12131

Jackpot

when you're on a plane, you got time to watch boring b rated movies.
it's a decent cast, just a weird written script and premise.

turn off your brain, and you'll be ok with some dumb jokes and choreograph that was merely a b line movie and you'll be ok.
doubt they would even break even with such crap movie as it's going directly to streaming

Last edited by 6793026; 08-22-2024 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:10 AM   #12132
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
I really wanted to like this one, but another disappointment.

It seems like we're now seeing the results of all the good older script writers and show runners that have now aged out and retired from the industry.

This new generation of writers/runners just don't know how to take risks and make a good film/TV show.
Don't know if it's that or just the enshittification of everything when it's the MBAs and bean counters taking over the executive leadership. See: Boeing. Things like taking a risk on a more creative titles just isn't in the cards anymore so instead we get Marvel cycle 1231354 movie sequels which are a sure thing for shareholder value

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 10:18 AM   #12133
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
It's gotten a bit worse, but a lot of old stuff was trash too. The one upside to the 9573937595 interconnected Marvel movies is I can just avoid all of them because I already know I'll think it's shit.

Sadly it's the same with all the new Star Wars stuff. I wish they'd come out with something I like but it's all been meh at best since Disney took over. But at least I know not to bother anymore.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 10:33 AM   #12134

You're definitely right on that as well, Civic.

The beancounters are ruining everything. You could tell the film had rewrites where the Execs must've been "fit in something from Alien, Aliens, Aliens 3 and Prometheus so we can utilize all this IP we have".

Voila, we have this mishmash of crap.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:43 PM   #12135
Performance Moderator

I watched the Netflix Mark Wahlberg & Halle Berry movie "The Union" last night, basic premise is Mark Wahlberg's character is a construction dude who's 47 and lives with his Mom but somehow still fucks bitches between hanging out at the bar with his bros and being in really good shape. His old highschool flame (Berry) goes back home to recruit him into a misfit secret agent group that operates more on the DL and try to get back a computer with all sorts of government profiles on it that was stolen and is being auctioned to foreign governments.

JK Simmons is in it too as well as the guy from Luke Cage. Some pretty good lines and funny one-liners here and there, I found all the teasing romantic scenes between Marky Mark and Halle Berry to be extremely awkward to the point even though you don't know them you reach up to rub your neck and look away... just zero chemistry. Decent actions sequences, a fun car chase with unique vehicles reminded me of a modern day Ronin a little bit, lots of gunfire and some little plot twists. JK Simmons is such a pro, Halle Berry sure looks a lot older now but still got some chops... Marky Mark is a bit stilted and it felt like he told the writers to still make him look cool holy crap he looks super old in a lot of scenes though.

We found it to be pretty fun background entertainment, could have been a lot worse.

6/10
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 02:18 PM   #12136

^ i'm watching on the plane and man you're right. A mix bags or everything that just doesn't jive. Good to see Haley Berry not aging that badly

I'm taking clients out for a movie night in Oct & there is this airplane movie with Marky Mark being in this c-line movie... how does it even make it to the theatres is beyond me...

Flight Risk is the movie...
* I can't take him seriously with that look lol. guess i won't judge a book by its cover.
Old 08-22-2024, 03:19 PM   #12137
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I watched the Netflix Mark Wahlberg & Halle Berry movie "The Union" last night, basic premise is Mark Wahlberg's character is a construction dude who's 47 and lives with his Mom but somehow still fucks bitches between hanging out at the bar with his bros and being in really good shape. His old highschool flame (Berry) goes back home to recruit him into a misfit secret agent group that operates more on the DL and try to get back a computer with all sorts of government profiles on it that was stolen and is being auctioned to foreign governments.
No wonder I'm cancelling Netflix...

Man you could have taken this entire plot and transposed it into any number of spy action flicks from the early 90s till now.

- Everyman gets thrust into some intrigue outside of his humdrum life- check

- Femme fatale/romantic interest who is in every way more competent but for whatever reason requires everyman's help. - double check

- Stolen microchip/microfiche/hard drive/USB drive contains secret spy list that would compromise entire spy network - check, check and wtf when are they going to update this trope? Everyone knows these days hackers will just steal this shit off the cloud and hack it into the darkwebz right? righttt?

This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 06:34 PM   #12138
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Can’t remember the last new movie I felt was good, Dune I guess buts it’s a remake

We recently watched Taxi Driver after listening to a podcast about it and I don’t really know if I like it or not lol but it’s like ok.. this is cinematography, there’s actually somthing to this movie

As opposed to new shit and like “new” storylines it’s all painful
Old 08-22-2024, 06:42 PM   #12139
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,390 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Can’t remember the last new movie I felt was good, Dune I guess buts it’s a remake

We recently watched Taxi Driver after listening to a podcast about it and I don’t really know if I like it or not lol but it’s like ok.. this is cinematography, there’s actually somthing to this movie

If you hadn't seen Taxi Driver yet, there are probably a lot of 70's and 80's classics you missed. Check them out! Here's a list

My wife is gone for the weekend, and I've been thinking of marathoning Godfather again for a while.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 07:48 AM   #12140
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,576 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Watched Pulp Fiction for the first time as an adult over the weekend. I may have seen clips of it before when I was younger but not all the way through.

10/10 I got why it received all the hype. Damn shame Samuel L Jackson didn't win an Oscar.

The dialogue was fucking hilarious, it's a straight up comedy at times.

"I'm pretty fuckin far from OK"
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2024, 11:12 AM   #12141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Fun fact. Robert Deniro being the method actor he is, took on the job as a taxi driver for a few months in New York prior to the film to get a better understanding of the life of a taxi driver, to immerse himself into the role.

It's rare to get that dedication to the craft like that anymore.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2024, 11:14 AM   #12142

Man to be able to watch Pulp Fiction again for the 1st time, I envy you. My GF hasn't seen the film and I've been meaning to have her sit and watch it with me.

If you liked that film, I'd recommend going through much of Quentin Tarantino's suite of movies, he's one of my favorite directors.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2024, 12:58 PM   #12143
Performance Moderator

Am I the only one who caught the line from 6793026 saying he's in charge of taking clients out for a movie night? How does a man with this discerning of tastes get put in charge of such a thing? lol
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2024, 01:42 PM   #12144
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,576 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Man to be able to watch Pulp Fiction again for the 1st time, I envy you. My GF hasn't seen the film and I've been meaning to have her sit and watch it with me.

If you liked that film, I'd recommend going through much of Quentin Tarantino's suite of movies, he's one of my favorite directors.
Yeah, I knew of him but it wasn't until Kill Bill onwards that I got really invested and have Inglorious Basterds and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in 4k Blu Ray. Since I watched Pulp Fiction I may go back to watch his older stuff. At some point in my 20's I did watch Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown but I don't remember much from them now. Should maybe also check out True Romance.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2024, 01:48 PM   #12145
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Am I the only one who caught the line from 6793026 saying he's in charge of taking clients out for a movie night? How does a man with this discerning of tastes get put in charge of such a thing? lol
Also what line of work encourages you to sit silently watching a film with a bunch of business colleagues for 2-3 hours? WTF?

At least at a strip club you can discuss deals in between the dancer changes

This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2024, 10:39 AM   #12146

Quote:
If he took me out to one of his typical Red Tide - Eels Revenge 4 movies, I'd terminate any contract with him immediately
Old 08-26-2024, 10:15 AM   #12147

This was probably one of the top earner movies right now in 2024. It was pretty good as wife and i both enjoyed it. 200M budget with 1.65 B in revenue...

Totally forgot Amy Poehler was the lead (Joy); for $5M, i would too. Many didn't enjoy being offered $100k, so they bailed. Not that it really mattered because Mindy Kaling did Disgust but now it went over to Liza Lapira. The only person I really enjoyed Phyllis Smith (the office - Phyllis) shared the same feel so I'm glad she kept her role.

Hocky, great CGI, puberty, growing up without throwing in any heart throbs / dating / guys... it was about good old friendship so that was cool.

I did really enjoy the scenes of all crispy CGI - story flowed well and didn't relaly have any dry spots.

Will take my nephews and nieces to watch this in theatres. Might be bit complex for those who are still younger but all in all, still legit.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:18 AM   #12148

The union.

Nothing worth mentioning at all, theonly reason why i thought it was cool was Halle Berry, Swordfish + james bond.. (oh wait.. there was catwomen) let's just say she still looks great for her age given she's 58. Nothing crazy to show like the previous movies but the tight dress looked very good on her.

Too bad Halle and J-lo have solid star presence just never got the right roles; then again, can they really act. (Halle was in Monster Ball though) LOL
Old 08-29-2024, 06:05 AM   #12149

A heist movie that doesn't go the right way. It has it's moments as things go wrong; but then there is just no chemistry and character development between the characters.
Wife and I did enjoy the premise, just bad in execution.

The comedy wasn't real comedy and the heist really wasn't the best heist ever. I did enjoy watching this than The Union despite halle barry was in it.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:38 AM   #12150

Your movie choices are seriously triggering me.