REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 01-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #23776
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,173 Times in 1,553 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
9-5ers, please enlighten me.

Is being stuck in an office behind your desk with your own computer and stuff really that great in reality? I've always had this dream of moving away from retail (almost 5yrs now) with a crazy inconsistent schedule working till 10 or 11 sometimes overnight, and having a job with a consistent schedule, either 9-5 or 8-4 or whatever. There's just something so surreal about being in an office stuck in a cubicle to me that just seems so foreign yet exciting.

Am I dreaming?
It depends on what your job entails, but 9-5 (or consistent full-time hours) office job beats retail any day.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #23777
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:

Is being stuck in an office behind your desk with your own computer and stuff really that great in reality? I've always had this dream of moving away from retail (almost 5yrs now) with a crazy inconsistent schedule working till 10 or 11 sometimes overnight, and having a job with a consistent schedule, either 9-5 or 8-4 or whatever. There's just something so surreal about being in an office stuck in a cubicle to me that just seems so foreign yet exciting.

Am I dreaming?
9-5er here.

Generally speaking, the majority of the 9-5 desk jobs are going to be boring. You are pushing paper / computer files all day, performing similar tasks. You get your two 15-min breaks a day if you're lucky (with a good company). You might be in your own cubicle, a semi-open work area, a totally open area, etc. You see and work with the same people everyday.

Then again, a portion of these desk jobs could still be very interesting and personally challenging, esp when it involves something that is intellectually challenging. A number of software development friends absolutely love their jobs and the daily intellectual challenges that it presents. A manager friend loves his project / organization work, even though he hates the HR management aspects of being a manager. It really depends on the job or line of work you are looking into.

I also have a friend who is (was?) in a government office type of position, and she nearly does jack squat all day, everyday. The proceedings of each actual day will vary, but according to her, she is at most putting in ~2 hrs' worth of work in an 8 hr work day. Depending on the type of person that you are, that could be a job of your dreams, or your worst and most boring nightmare.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #23778
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Go clubbing with a bunch of cute korean girls (for an old friend's bday) orrrr go mountain shredding with the guys... Tough choices
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #23779
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Obviously shredding with the guys.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #23780
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Go clubbing with a bunch of cute korean girls (for an old friend's bday) orrrr go mountain shredding with the guys... Tough choices
Doh?!

If you're single, obviously you'd want to do the former?! Why do you even have to ask???
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #23781
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,384 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:

Am I dreaming?
Office jobs have its own benefit.
Earning 5 weeks vacation
7 sick days + 4 personal days + 3 volunteering days + 2 bereavement days
Full benefits
Work from home in your pajamas when it's pouring out & others smelling people's BO at the sky train.
Chilling at the beach at 3 PM while people are still working.
Corp credit card to entertain your clients
Company Car

It took me 15+ years to get here but it all started with being in a shit call center office 9-5 job.

Last edited by 6793026; 01-17-2018 at 06:00 AM.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 PM   #23782
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
It also really depends on what career field you are in as a 9-5er, because some of that can be pretty boring/stale vs. other fields.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #23783
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Failed 104 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
I need to slap the fuck out of you if there's any debate needed on which to choose. The obvious choice is to get shredded by a bunch of guys :j izz:

ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #23784
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Office jobs have its own benefit.
Earning 5 weeks vacation
7 sick days + 4 personal days + 3 volunteering days + 2 bereavement days
Full benefits
Work from home in your pajamas when it's pouring out & others smelling people's BO at the sky train.
Chilling at the beach at 3 PM while people are still working.
Corp credit card to entertain your clients
Company Car

It took me 15+ years to get here but it all started with being in a shit call center office 9-5 job.
Where do you work and are they hiring?
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #23785

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
shred then club

save on cover

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #23786

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
just don't tell the crew you're going clubbing...you dont need ugly motherfuckers killing the vibe.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #23787
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
I'd imagine the pay alone would be worth switching away from retail.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #23788
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:

There's just something so surreal about being in an office stuck in a cubicle to me that just seems so foreign yet exciting.

Am I dreaming?
I am a 9-430er I'll share some exciting perks at my current position:

- 7 hr work day (35/wk)
- 25 days vac/yr - no cap on carryover. I'm planning on stacking like 200 days and cashing them out to upgrade homes or get a new car.
- 15 sick days/yr that I can build up to a max of 45 sick days carrying year after year. I'm currently there now. STD/LTD built into benefits.
- Closed for 2 weeks on company paid time during xmas holidays.
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development opportunities. Going to classes and not accruing debt. Getting paid to attend conferences.
- Health Spending Account to blow on whatever I want.
- Top Tier benefits (no cap no limit on big ticket items ie. dental, prescriptions, ect)

Just to name a few..

There are aspects of the job that are boring, not fun, office politics, ect but the pros outweigh the cons, at least for me.

I first started working at McDonalds in my teens and then retail. My first office gig was a temporary 2 month admin assistant aka mail boy.

26 now and it took many years to get to this point in my career. You're not dreaming. But you'll most likely cycle through a few companies to find out what you like and don't like - establish a baseline of what type of company you want to work for.

It's a different type of "hard work" once you get on the corporate side. With retail it's fun with friends, new people come and go and there is never that much commitment. You end your shift and can forget about work.

I take my work home with me mentally. This job requires building and fostering long lasting relationships and the ability mesh with people that you see much more than your significant other. Instead of being physically exhausted I'm mentally exhausted.

I try not to complain about it much, as I do realize this is a dream job to many others. I encourage you to stop pondering, apply and accrue relevant work experience pertaining to this office world you are dreaming about.

ps. I was that copy-room guy, the cubicle guy, the open office layout sitting in the center guy.. took me a few years to level up into my own office.. I have a big corner office now but the view could be better. Just know.. it's a journey..

Last edited by Gh0st; 01-17-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #23789

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Where do you work and are they hiring?
every single job with 10+ yrs of experience gets about the same perk and I've mentioned.

It's one of the benefits of being in Vancouver. Since center of the universe is Toronto, most of the jobs in Vancouver are very flex.

In fact, my last 3 jobs were all flex hours + work from home. Again, do keep in mind, you get paid $11.25 an hr to leave your work on time at 4:59pm. When you get paid 80k+ a yr to 6 figures, you're going to have to take some work home / be checking emails while you're on your vacation.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #23790
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:

Am I dreaming?
Depends on what kind of person you are.

Personally, I tried that shit for 4 months and I couldn't stand it. I felt like I was going insane to be sitting in the same chair, with little to no view, doing the same menial workload of files and assignments every single day. It really depends on the kind of person you are, I don't think I would ever feel content working an office job where I do the same thing or same set of things with little to no variation. I like to move around, and be on my feet, and constantly be in a state of learning. Not to mention, comfort-wise, I would rather get a pinecone shoved in my ass than wear a suit and tie every day.

I also disliked the fact that working "normal" hours means that EVERYTHING is busy, all the time. Because you work the same hours as 80% of the population. Traffic sucks, running errands usually sucks, and weekend activities such as the park, hiking trails, the beach, etc. are all hella packed. The last time I went to Costco on a Saturday I wanted to shoot myself. Now I go during the weekdays at around 10AM and I don't remember the last time I waited in a line of more than 5 people.

Right now I work 5 days on (10 hour days) and 4 days off, and I love working shift work. I get the occasional weekend off to spend time with friends/family, but most of the time I get to enjoy an empty grocery store for errands, empty gym, empty hiking trails, little to no traffic on my commutes, etc.

Pay being equal, I would always take a dynamic shift work job where I'm on my feet and moving around and talking to people over a desk job. But since you're moving from retail, if the pay and benefits are good then maybe it will be worth the change....

Last edited by Tone Loc; 01-17-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #23791
Ask me about killing a hobo and dumping his body in the river

Failed 137 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:

Am I dreaming?
I work 7-3 but at a hotel(part of management), so i'm not sure if it counts as an office job. The consistency it makes things a lot easier to plan and manage, but my work environment is very flexible since we are overstaffed, and so everyone sucks up to you so they can get more shifts.

I get
Full benefits
5 days a week
3 paid sick days/month
3 week paid vacation which stacks up (max 3 years)
$600/month relocation bonus
and when i get bored of my desk, i can do my work at the front desk and chat with people.
[18-02, 21:40] ICE BOY please come over and wrap me in your foreskin.
[18-10, 14:35] ZN6 Evo if you here: Say what your heart feels, cause those who matter don't mind, and those who mind shouldn't matter
[26-07, 14:46] ZN6 I gonna nibble on your scrotum

93 honda civic si (RIP)
2010 Evolution X (RIP)
2000 GMC Yukon XL SLT (RIP)
2003 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Overland build

2019 Kawasaki Ex 400(Summer Daily)

Last edited by EvoLove; 01-18-2018 at 04:39 PM.
EvoLove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2018, 08:04 PM   #23792
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 67 Posts
The following is going to be a small rant. Some (all?) of it may not make any sense because I'm a little clouded by emotion atm.

I used to deal with being alone and single so much better. Like it wasn't even a care in my mind that I'd be at home, weekend after weekend watching TV alone. I didn't care that I didn't have any plans. I didn't care that I had no one to share my close thoughts with. I was content.

But over the last 2-3 years I've changed. I've become more outgoing socially. I think it had to do with me leaving a job. It had weighed me down. I had a sense of self-imposed duty and dedication - misguided into thinking I had to give my all and sacrifice my own happiness in servitude to the role and the company.

I got a new job. It was a lot less stress. I was able to work on myself. I went out more. A night at home felt very lonely and uncomfortable, let alone a whole weekend. I wanted to socialize. I wanted attention. I went on dating apps. I asked girls out in person, got numbers, wash, repeat. Nothing that ever amounted to what I'd consider a GF. Nothing that ever became something that I could put my trust in.

I think many of us have heard stories about how difficult the dating scene is in Vancouver. I kinda see both sides of the argument. On one side we hear it's just a numbers game. If you go out, talk to people, meet people, get numbers, whatever - eventually you'll meet someone right? The *one*? Well ok, numbers game put into consideration, i've done all that many times. Been on dating apps for years. I still haven't found anyone. So is it still numbers and odds? I don't know anymore. Is it specifically the people in Vancouver? Are they guarded because they've heard so many horror stories or suffered some themselves? I don't know.

I mean, even if it were true, or it wasn't. If it's one way or the other. In the end of the day it wouldn't magically change the circumstances.

So i'm kind of losing focus on why I decided to post this. I guess i'm just looking for some perspective. Some wisdom or ammo to tell me to keep pushing forward, don't give up, keep my head up, all that shit. Cause right now, I just don't see it. I can't sum up that positivity. I remember reading something posted in this very thread, who said along the lines of he didn't find someone until he literally stopped looking. I think he decided to focus on bettering himself and before he knew it he so happened to find someone.

I'd consider myself already bettering myself. I've worked out for 8+ yrs. I've created a small bucket list of things that I wanted to do but used to think were difficult. Things like baking, shooting, climbing, hiking, photography. All that shit..it doesn't keep me company when I want to have a connection with someone.

I don't know...end rant. I imagine some or all of you are going to dissect this, skewer and roast me..great.

edit: Does anyone feel that they've paid their fair share of dues, suffered enough, and that maybe it was about time some luck came up on them? Or is it just wrong to think that way? Karma ain't real right? Man i just..i don't know.

Last edited by nns; 01-18-2018 at 08:32 PM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #23793

Nah this is like the one safe place on RS. No one's gonna roast you here, proven when I provided great entertainment in this thread LOL.

I don't got advice, but I feel you. I feel like you can only do so much. I too, desperately crave a connection. And that usually gets me into complicated situations when I do feel a connection just bc I want smt out of it so badly.

I think I've mentioned it before in this thread, and cuffing season is real. Similarly, I can go out and have food/hang outs with so many girls, but it's different if you don't feel anything. It's like meh.

Like I said I don't got advice, so ZN6, you're up!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #23794
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 81 Times in 18 Posts
As communication dwindles, so does the feels
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #23795

Just think it's hilarious because I'm Christian but I'm not here for church talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post

I'd consider myself already bettering myself. I've worked out for 8+ yrs. I've created a small bucket list of things that I wanted to do but used to think were difficult. Things like baking, shooting, climbing, hiking, photography. All that shit..it doesn't keep me company when I want to have a connection with someone.
Good for you man, look at all the skills you got, that's amazing. I am literally on the same path as you.
-online dating, been there done that.
-job and career and friends all in line
-tons of hobbies: dancing, cycling, + shit load of toys
-from introvert to extro and able to hold my own.

So what I'm trying to say is this
1) Enjoy being single: I'm so happy I did not settle or get married to ANY ONE of my X. It would have been REALLY REALLY bad. Me bending over backwards for a girl, spending all my money on them when they didn't appreciate it.

2) RESCUE your fellow buddies: Use your time and talk to all the other married couple. There are so many dudes who would love their own guy time. If you are single and able, go reach out for a boys night.

3) Keep waiting: There is a reason. If you believe in a higher being/ karma / God / universe. Just understand it's no DIFFERENT than why you didn't get the job 5 yrs ago, or broken up with your 2nd gf from 9 yrs ago who was a nagging bitch. Everything happens for a reason, you'll look back and be glad you're single now.

I was in your shoes for many yrs; came back from vacation and met a LOT of girls. Turns out it's really just Vancouver and the mentality. A lot of girls were all over me (complimented on my hobbies, maturity and just being a gentleman); made me realize there ARE normal girls out there who are available and dying to meet someone like you.

It's a waiting game... keep at it.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #23796
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Failed 104 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
The following is going to be a small rant. Some (all?) of it may not make any sense because I'm a little clouded by emotion atm.

I used to deal with being alone and single so much better. Like it wasn't even a care in my mind that I'd be at home, weekend after weekend watching TV alone. I didn't care that I didn't have any plans. I didn't care that I had no one to share my close thoughts with. I was content.

But over the last 2-3 years I've changed. I've become more outgoing socially. I think it had to do with me leaving a job. It had weighed me down. I had a sense of self-imposed duty and dedication - misguided into thinking I had to give my all and sacrifice my own happiness in servitude to the role and the company.

I got a new job. It was a lot less stress. I was able to work on myself. I went out more. A night at home felt very lonely and uncomfortable, let alone a whole weekend. I wanted to socialize. I wanted attention. I went on dating apps. I asked girls out in person, got numbers, wash, repeat. Nothing that ever amounted to what I'd consider a GF. Nothing that ever became something that I could put my trust in.

I think many of us have heard stories about how difficult the dating scene is in Vancouver. I kinda see both sides of the argument. On one side we hear it's just a numbers game. If you go out, talk to people, meet people, get numbers, whatever - eventually you'll meet someone right? The *one*? Well ok, numbers game put into consideration, i've done all that many times. Been on dating apps for years. I still haven't found anyone. So is it still numbers and odds? I don't know anymore. Is it specifically the people in Vancouver? Are they guarded because they've heard so many horror stories or suffered some themselves? I don't know.

I mean, even if it were true, or it wasn't. If it's one way or the other. In the end of the day it wouldn't magically change the circumstances.

So i'm kind of losing focus on why I decided to post this. I guess i'm just looking for some perspective. Some wisdom or ammo to tell me to keep pushing forward, don't give up, keep my head up, all that shit. Cause right now, I just don't see it. I can't sum up that positivity. I remember reading something posted in this very thread, who said along the lines of he didn't find someone until he literally stopped looking. I think he decided to focus on bettering himself and before he knew it he so happened to find someone.

I don't know...end rant. I imagine some or all of you are going to dissect this, skewer and roast me..great.

edit: Does anyone feel that they've paid their fair share of dues, suffered enough, and that maybe it was about time some luck came up on them? Or is it just wrong to think that way? Karma ain't real right? Man i just..i don't know.
What I learned is that life needs change or you become complacent. Find someone who's on the same path to greatness. You want a partner that adds to your life, not someone who you need to top up to get to your level.

It's great that you've improved yourself. I went through the same shit and I think it all happens to all of us at some point where you realize that you need that someone who completes your life after you've done all the single stuff you wanted to build yourself up. Eventually as we grow older we also gotta wind down.

It ain't you bro, it's human nature to feel that way. That's why they have a thing called mid-life crisis.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #23797
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
What do you do gh0st?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #23798
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 51 Posts
Ahh, that's disappointing. Back to the drawing board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #23799
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
One thing I learned about living in a first world country is that it becomes harder to manage what can essentially be a gifted life. Sure we're not all born on the same economic level but we have a higher baseline than if you born in a third world country with little access to food, let alone employment resources.

A solid baseline allows one to pursue options in our life and the ability to change our path as many times as we see fit. What I find is it can become overwhelming over time and we lose focus and direction. I'm no scientist but I feel like this could be part of why mental illness is so prevalent in our society.

Well I guess I'm speaking mostly from my own experiences. I grew up lower-middle class and didn't get many opportunities as other kids had but I did have working parents, a home and food (though food was scarce sometimes).

Life was all over the place for me till I volunteered at a soup kitchen many many years ago. It really re-shaped the way I analyze the world and my own place in it. I've actually dialed back a lot of my hopes and dreams in favour of realistic expectations. I don't strive for big things for myself. I strive to do big things for others. By that mantra, I never suffer.

Despite having FWBs, a relationship has remained elusive on me for a number of years. Maybe my brain is slowly calcifying at my age but it's not something I've been even been thinking about really.

Am I solitary? Yes

Am I alone? No
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #23800

I ended up going to twelvewest for that girl's birthday. Hit up the bar next door and it's pretty pricy and not worth it. We went to Alibi Room for dinner which had way better beer for cheaper, and it was good food.

Turns out all the girls are taken, and I don't with taken girls. Had a pretty shitty night, I was dd, so that meant 3 beers max (over 5 hours) and no more after that. Good thing I was dd too, cause birthday girl spent a couple hours puking on Granville ._.

I've been trying really hard not to smoke cigarettes when I drink now, since it's a really bad habit. The fiending got pretty bad today when it just smells like rubbing alcohol in the club, everyone's smoking outside, and bday girl's friends asked me for a cig.

Overall, while I am 21, I think I'm getting too old got this. I think starting to party in grade 9 has taken it's effect on me. Aside from health (bc ur not supposed to drink young), I think that because I started early, this going out stuff is just boring to me and the logistics and effort spent to plan arent worth my time. Plus I just don't vibe with the hip hop, hype, fuckboy/girl crowd.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk