REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #8776
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 36 Times in 2 Posts
Ouch...

Advertisement
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #8777
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakasam View Post
Which 301 are you in? Lufsman? Also how was the 343 exam? was pretty fair

TA said my paper was highest in my tutorial class
yea lufsman, what did you get? my gf got 21.5/22 for her paper, you're not jorge by any chance, are you? lol

i got "best presentation" award, exam seemed fair but we'll see what comes from it

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #8778
I STILL don't get it

Failed 71 Times in 8 Posts
Our TA used a different marking scheme I guess cause mine just had a number out of 100 on it i think. Got 84

Asked the TA about our presentation and he said the other group was a bit better. (But that group had no fobs in it )
bakasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #8779

^ah you had Marcel, we got 84 too, you're not by any chance Anne or Danni? LOL

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #8780
I STILL don't get it

Failed 71 Times in 8 Posts
No i was with arrash and my name is Sam
bakasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 PM   #8781

ahh thats right, you've mentioned that...

/goes back to microwaving brain

anyone else still at sfu? in library downstairs

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #8782
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,341 Times in 842 Posts
Failed 207 Times in 86 Posts
ill be up there around 3 or 4 lol
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #8783

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,344 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpower View Post
My gpa isnt great but it will get better over time. I am planning on retaking 157... at first i thought i had no interest in the subject so i just gave up but over time i realized it wasn't that i had no interest it was only cause i wasnt applying myself enough. I'm aiming for an A- atleast in that class next sem, but that uses up one of my two retries already, having to retry econ 103 would be a pain since requirements state you only need a c- to fulfill the requirements, the rest is up to you to boost your marks to 3.17 so i will have to try much harder in the other classes to make up for it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpower View Post
Ahh ic. I am a first year so yeah i wasn't really following the pace with everything until later in the sem. Guess ill be using up my first 2 repeats already in the first semester, will have to try hard as fuck these upcoming two years. So far the only course that fulfills the 9 division courses that i am passing is eng 103w for sure getting over 2.4 atleast
What did you get in 157? I would hold off on that until you have a few more courses down. If you are continuing a trend of getting marks B and under, consider NOT wasting your repeats and try something else.

Take BUS 272, BUS 251, and ECON 105 first and come back and tell me what you get. If you can't get higher than a B+ in those 3 courses, I suggest doing another major. You aren't going to get into business, I've been there and done that.

Yeah I know harsh, but I don't want to see some one going through my path, especially business is harder than ever to get in now.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #8784
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 45 Times in 10 Posts
^True. Just because it's the "in" degree to get, doesn't mean that's your first priority. Business in the real world is mostly trial and error, intuition, logic, experience and straight up luck with a bit of genius thrown in. You don't need a business degree to be a good business man. There are some amazing arts or even science fields that can land you a great career and make you a balanced individual.
Poli Sci with an Econ minor is a good combination, graduate with honors and it'll look great on your resume and you can get into any decent firm. Phil + Poli / Crim to go straight into politics or law school. Geologists make some CRAZY money (my ex worked in an auditing firm and she saw payrolls- crazy earnings potential), biology and down the line medical school if you like the sciences (if math isn't your thing, avoid physics which goes without saying). Sociology and get a marketing diploma from BCIT to work in a marketing firm...another option is accounting, which is super stable and won't be going anywhere. Computer science with CogSci, and you can be working on artificial intelligence related stuff, Philo + English/History to be a teacher, editor or writer, Kineseology and MsC (optional) later with a CSCS certification and you'll be making bank + working with top level athletes if you're an active person, Psych degree to make latte art...the options are endless!
epicbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #8785
I STILL don't get it

Failed 17 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
What did you get in 157? I would hold off on that until you have a few more courses down. If you are continuing a trend of getting marks B and under, consider NOT wasting your repeats and try something else.

Take BUS 272, BUS 251, and ECON 105 first and come back and tell me what you get. If you can't get higher than a B+ in those 3 courses, I suggest doing another major. You aren't going to get into business, I've been there and done that.

Yeah I know harsh, but I don't want to see some one going through my path, especially business is harder than ever to get in now.
pretty much what Evo said, I should know I'm in the same boat, doing my last lower division course next semester and I have a 3.1 gpa so I'm pretty much fucked cause my gpa probably won't be high enough for business. However unlike me you have the benefit of being in first year so you can still reevaluate your situation, I don't wanna sound like a douche-bag but if you are struggling to pass micro, odds are unless you change something (tutor and etc) you are going to struggle with macro which another lower division course you will need. If you have a C- in your lower level you are basically going to have to shoot for all B+/A-/A for the other 8 to even it out so you basically have no margin for error.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #8786
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 10 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeDrink View Post
pretty much what Evo said, I should know I'm in the same boat, doing my last lower division course next semester and I have a 3.1 gpa so I'm pretty much fucked cause my gpa probably won't be high enough for business. However unlike me you have the benefit of being in first year so you can still reevaluate your situation, I don't wanna sound like a douche-bag but if you are struggling to pass micro, odds are unless you change something (tutor and etc) you are going to struggle with macro which another lower division course you will need. If you have a C- in your lower level you are basically going to have to shoot for all B+/A-/A for the other 8 to even it out so you basically have no margin for error.
3.1 is very close. Why not just repeat a course?
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #8787
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my experience getting into Beedie through transferring.

BUS 237, BUS 251, BUS 272 = Incredibly easy, just study. 251 is the hardest of the three, but still pretty easy in the grand scheme of things.
100 Level ENGL = Easy if you can write decently. Take advantage of TA office hours.
BUEC 232 = Easy if you actually give a little bit of a shit. Make a good study sheet. I recommend taking it with George Zhang.
MATH 157 = Scaling saves your ass. I should've gotten a C- or a D, but ended up with a C+. I thought the final was brutal, walked out thinking I got like 15 percent, but ended up getting 55. Even if you're lost, try to show ANY work, you'll get part marks.
ECON 103, ECON 105 = Tedious, but mandatory. Insanely boring, and you are either good at it or you aren't. I fell into the latter category.

Then again, that is my experience. Everyone is different. Those who are better at math and stuff will probably do better in ECON/MATH and not as well in BUS 237/272. If you're getting a C- in one or more class, I'd suggest retaking it. You won't get in otherwise, unless you get As in every other course. I got a C+ in all of MATH 157, ECON 103, and ECON 105. Barely made it in without doing retakes (I had a 3.22 in the nine courses I think), only got in because I did well in the other 6 classes. Just be warned that if you suck at quantitative classes, like me, Business isn't always fun. You're forced to take BUS 336 (Data & Decisions 2), BUS 312 (Intro to Finance), BUS 207 (Managerial Econ), and BUS 254 (Managerial Accounting).

I included 254 there, not because it's hardcore on the quantitative stuff, but because the majority of people hate it. I'm in the same boat. I'm probably going to concentrate in Accounting, but managerial acct is so friggin' boring. Not looking forward to the prospect of having to take two more upper division managerial accounting courses.

Just thought I'd lend my two cents. Procrastinating on studying for my BUS 393 final haha.
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #8788

Walking into BUS 207 exam:

First look through the exam:

When it sunk in that this is pretty hard:

Handing in my exam at the end of the three hours:

Karen Ruckman creating the exam:
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #8789
mc.
RS controls my life!

Failed 32 Times in 18 Posts
^lol were you in the day exam? I was told that they over heard my FUCK, as i left the exam and found out i fucked one of the questions up.
mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #8790
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Failed 325 Times in 112 Posts
as a beedie student, i say beedie is highly overrated

you will experience unimaginable anguish working with fob ass group members who barely know how to compose a proper sentence.

3/4 of the time in a group if you are even half decent at writing you will end up just proofreading + rewriting other sections as well
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #8791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Here's my experience getting into Beedie through transferring.

BUS 237, BUS 251, BUS 272 = Incredibly easy, just study. 251 is the hardest of the three, but still pretty easy in the grand scheme of things.
100 Level ENGL = Easy if you can write decently. Take advantage of TA office hours.
BUEC 232 = Easy if you actually give a little bit of a shit. Make a good study sheet. I recommend taking it with George Zhang.
MATH 157 = Scaling saves your ass. I should've gotten a C- or a D, but ended up with a C+. I thought the final was brutal, walked out thinking I got like 15 percent, but ended up getting 55. Even if you're lost, try to show ANY work, you'll get part marks.
ECON 103, ECON 105 = Tedious, but mandatory. Insanely boring, and you are either good at it or you aren't. I fell into the latter category.

Then again, that is my experience. Everyone is different. Those who are better at math and stuff will probably do better in ECON/MATH and not as well in BUS 237/272. If you're getting a C- in one or more class, I'd suggest retaking it. You won't get in otherwise, unless you get As in every other course. I got a C+ in all of MATH 157, ECON 103, and ECON 105. Barely made it in without doing retakes (I had a 3.22 in the nine courses I think), only got in because I did well in the other 6 classes. Just be warned that if you suck at quantitative classes, like me, Business isn't always fun. You're forced to take BUS 336 (Data & Decisions 2), BUS 312 (Intro to Finance), BUS 207 (Managerial Econ), and BUS 254 (Managerial Accounting).

I included 254 there, not because it's hardcore on the quantitative stuff, but because the majority of people hate it. I'm in the same boat. I'm probably going to concentrate in Accounting, but managerial acct is so friggin' boring. Not looking forward to the prospect of having to take two more upper division managerial accounting courses.

Just thought I'd lend my two cents. Procrastinating on studying for my BUS 393 final haha.
Since now that we are throwing pennies out.... I'll join lol!

Business courses are easy. Easy being that you can not give a shit and pass all of them. Every single one. That is probably why there are so many people trying to get in. I was in the same mindset.

Think about it:
Econ 103/105, the first 6 or so chapters are almost exactly the same.
BUS 272 is full of shit. If you have even an ounce of logic you will pass it.
BUS 237 is basic computering. Though I heard the syllabus has been changed starting this semester and its harder now.
BUS 251/254 is balancing numbers, no really hard core math stuff
MATH 157 is hardcore scaled, as long as you have a few idiots like me around you, you'll be fine as I will drag the curve down.
The classes that really require some work on is BUS 207 and maybe BUEC 232, even these are nothing compared to other faculties. Try taking MACM or ENSC or ECON 301, then you'll know what's hard.
Upper division BUS courses aren't tough either. Every faculty has there course to kick out people with. Econ with 301, Computer Science has MACM 201/316. Business doesn't really have anything like that. 343 is easy, 312 isn't much harder than 207, 336 is not that bad if you listen in class.

The above is probably why they keep raising the requirements to get in. Partly the HUGE amount of students wanting in. Also the reason why all classes are scaled, so the easy classes don't give students an abnormally high grade.

Due to the large amount of business students flooding the market, I'm starting to see(at least in Vancouver) a BBA isn't going to do you much good in the job market. Everyone has a BBA. Some of the combos that epicbeardman suggested are actually really good. There is also a resurgence of interest in the field of computer science as a lot of research are being offloaded into brute force style simulations on computers.

Unless you OMFG ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GET INTO BUSINESS!!!1!!!!!11! I would pick something else right now unless you are getting straight A's. Just so you guys know, you don't need a BBA to get an MBA.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #8792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
as a beedie student, i say beedie is highly overrated

you will experience unimaginable anguish working with fob ass group members who barely know how to compose a proper sentence.

3/4 of the time in a group if you are even half decent at writing you will end up just proofreading + rewriting other sections as well
Quoted for the win
Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #8793
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Failed 325 Times in 112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Since now that we are throwing pennies out.... I'll join lol!

Business courses are easy. Easy being that you can not give a shit and pass all of them. Every single one. That is probably why there are so many people trying to get in. I was in the same mindset.

Think about it:
Econ 103/105, the first 6 or so chapters are almost exactly the same.
BUS 272 is full of shit. If you have even an ounce of logic you will pass it.
BUS 237 is basic computering. Though I heard the syllabus has been changed starting this semester and its harder now.
BUS 251/254 is balancing numbers, no really hard core math stuff
MATH 157 is hardcore scaled, as long as you have a few idiots like me around you, you'll be fine as I will drag the curve down.
The classes that really require some work on is BUS 207 and maybe BUEC 232, even these are nothing compared to other faculties. Try taking MACM or ENSC or ECON 301, then you'll know what's hard.
Upper division BUS courses aren't tough either. Every faculty has there course to kick out people with. Econ with 301, Computer Science has MACM 201/316. Business doesn't really have anything like that. 343 is easy, 312 isn't much harder than 207, 336 is not that bad if you listen in class.

The above is probably why they keep raising the requirements to get in. Partly the HUGE amount of students wanting in. Also the reason why all classes are scaled, so the easy classes don't give students an abnormally high grade.

Due to the large amount of business students flooding the market, I'm starting to see(at least in Vancouver) a BBA isn't going to do you much good in the job market. Everyone has a BBA. Some of the combos that epicbeardman suggested are actually really good. There is also a resurgence of interest in the field of computer science as a lot of research are being offloaded into brute force style simulations on computers.

Unless you OMFG ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GET INTO BUSINESS!!!1!!!!!11! I would pick something else right now unless you are getting straight A's. Just so you guys know, you don't need a BBA to get an MBA.
you have to factor in that the majority of bba students merely get by due to hard work and perseverance, or as i like to call it the "rudy" factor

it takes no real critical thinking, practical knowledge nor "real world skills" to earn a bba

i compare it to a high level form of mad libs

_____ so you can _____ and then ______

1. stakeholders
2. competitive advantage etc etc
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #8794

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc. View Post
^lol were you in the day exam? I was told that they over heard my FUCK, as i left the exam and found out i fucked one of the questions up.
Yeah I was in the day exam. I just wanted to yell after that exam. I legitimately screwed up three of the seven questions. Looking forward to getting an F in the class haha.

She asked us about so many things that we didn't even spend that much time on. Making the tariff question worth like 20% of the overall exam was stupid I thought. I answered the Cournot question, but I think I screwed it up. The price discrimination one I bullshited, but I don't remember doing any examples where we had to actually calculate two-part tariffs and the like. Looking back, I knew how to do the first part of the price discrimination question, but I completely effed it up. And what was up with the one about transaction costs as they pertain to eBay? I didn't read over every single slide she ever gave us, but looking at some of the questions we had I think that would have been smart. Only two questions I know I aced where the last two (risk/uncertainty + auctions).

My own fault for focusing more on studying theory than calculations. Not looking forward to the possibility of having to do it all over again.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #8795

@Evo: I agree with most of your post. Everything you said about the classes are pretty accurate. I wish I had gone to class and tried harder for 336, because it wasn't bad at all.

I don't think a BBA is useless really, and I actually think that Beedie is amazing, but it depends on the individual. I need my BBA to work towards becoming a CA, so that's all cool. Beedie has been great to me. I've met amazing people, gotten great opportunities, etc. I think that the courses aren't the most useful a lot of the time, but I feel I learn in some of them and I have yet to have a bad prof in a single one of my BUS classes (though I had two mediocre ones in BUS 303 and BUS 237). I think that relevant experience > textbook knowledge any day of the week, and I feel like I've gotten a lot of opportunities to gain practical experience through being a Beedie student. Can't say I'm disappointed with my decision.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #8796
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
Failed 221 Times in 97 Posts
if you can't study in silence and hate having to deal with youtube's BS..

3 gigs of vitamin string quartet ear sex

EDIT:

I shouldn't link to copy written stuff mibad.

Last edited by BrRsn; 01-24-2012 at 05:29 PM.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #8797
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 39 Times in 13 Posts
who's still at sfu???
haha13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #8798
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 45 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha13 View Post
who's still at sfu???
I am. Craming for exam on friday
Posted via RS Mobile
epicbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #8799
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 27 Times in 11 Posts
Math 157 wasn't scaled this semester with the prof I took it with..
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #8800

So exactly HOW difficult is econ 301? i thought buec 333 was the one that fists people

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote: