REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 03-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #9526
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeDrink View Post
hey guys so probably a pretty dumb question, but I'm not a business student and I signed up for bus 303 and I read the whole

"Students other than those accepted into a program in Business Administration may attempt registration in most upper division Business Administration courses contingent upon requisites met and space available on the day BEFORE the first day of classes"

so it put me on the waitlist, even though there was like 50 spots open and whatever, but then I went on today sis today and it says I had been dropped from the waitlist? so I'm kinda confused, what was the point of the system letting me go on the waitlist in the first place then ? lol, so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what just happened lol.
Think that the 28th was the last day for reserved classes, then it's a free for all on the 29th
Advertisement
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:12 AM   #9527
mc.
RS controls my life!

Failed 32 Times in 18 Posts
Approved business students can take the 300 level classes when they have 45 credits.
Otherwise you need to have 60 credits and I believe you need to wait until the restrictions are lifted.
mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #9528
I STILL don't get it

Failed 17 Times in 7 Posts
hey thanks for the replies guys, I didn't notice I actually got an email from sfu, so they said it was a glitch in the system that I was allowed to be on the waitlist, I should have been told to come back on the whatever date, when the restriction is lifted lol.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #9529
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 27 Times in 11 Posts
how is buec232 in general? I don't know my prof yet.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #9530
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
hmm... distance ed...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #9531
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 17 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gYU View Post
math 12 stuff, combination and tree diagrams
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #9532
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 49 Times in 13 Posts
anyone taken HUM 102W?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #9533
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 20 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
I am taking Buec 232 with Mike Johnson right now.

Pros:

The class with Michael Johnson so far is pretty chill. Instead of starting at 8:30 in the morning, we start at 9. And sometimes he lets us out early. He is great at articulating the concepts and is a really great lecturer.

Also the concepts are not difficult to grasp. The material is basically statistics with topics such as ; sample mean, population mean, hypothesis testing, probability etc

If you take it with Mike Johnson you will have to do 2 partner assignments so choose your partner wisely. The rest of the assignments are like loncapa math only you get unlimited tries.

Cons:

The midterm was quite long and moderately difficult. You`ll definitely feel rushed to finish the questions. Although the format of the exam is all multiple choice, it`s all entirely word problem questions. So if you can`t do that then you are so screwed for this class. There are 40 questions each consisting of word problems and you`re only given less then 120 min. Doing all the problem sets will help you but the exam was still hard.

Average was 70%.

Now this is a general question for everyone

Has anyone taken Bus 237 ?

Can anyone provide feedback on that course and provide ways to do well I just need B+ in the course. My prof is Maryam ficociello btw.
G-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #9534

^ Thanks for the heads up!

I'm taking 237 with Zorana Svedia right now, but in general I think all 237 is almost the same. The material is dry, and Midterm was all m/c but really tricky with many questions with two possible answers... For Zorana, she just reads out slides, and it doesn't help much. Assignments/and group project were VERY time-consuming.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #9535

Quote:
^ Thanks for the heads up!

I'm taking 237 with Zorana Svedia right now, but in general I think all 237 is almost the same. The material is dry, and Midterm was all m/c but really tricky with many questions with two possible answers... For Zorana, she just reads out slides, and it doesn't help much. Assignments/and group project were VERY time-consuming.
What is the average for the midterm.

Secondly is the midterms lecture based or textbook based ?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #9536
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,531 Times in 554 Posts
Failed 319 Times in 66 Posts
Average for the MT was 39/60....The exams are based on both lectures and textbooks, but all of the material from the lectures are from the book. So basically, her lectures are pretty much useless..she just summarizes what we read in the book. You have to memorize a lot of stuff for that class.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #9537
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 3,992 Times in 961 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-nerd View Post
By far the BEST business stats prof ever. take Bus-336 with him or you will SUFFER.

you have been warned. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3klipze View Post
anyone taken HUM 102W?
i took it a few years ago, it's not for everyone.

you read between 5 to 7 novels which are fairly hard to understand. exams were based on 'who said what' and analysis questions. there were a couple essays to write.

if you hate reading, this is not for you.
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #9538
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently taking 237 with Kamal Masri and it's not bad as long as you keep up with the readings and workload. The assignments can take along time especially the 2nd one but it's assigned 3 weeks prior to due date. Class average for the midterm was around 60% and the highest mark was 51/60.
Quote:

Pros:

The class with Michael Johnson so far is pretty chill. Instead of starting at 8:30 in the morning, we start at 9. And sometimes he lets us out early. He is great at articulating the concepts and is a really great lecturer.

Also the concepts are not difficult to grasp. The material is basically statistics with topics such as ; sample mean, population mean, hypothesis testing, probability etc

If you take it with Mike Johnson you will have to do 2 partner assignments so choose your partner wisely. The rest of the assignments are like loncapa math only you get unlimited tries.

Cons:

The midterm was quite long and moderately difficult. You`ll definitely feel rushed to finish the questions. Although the format of the exam is all multiple choice, it`s all entirely word problem questions. So if you can`t do that then you are so screwed for this class. There are 40 questions each consisting of word problems and you`re only given less then 120 min. Doing all the problem sets will help you but the exam was still hard.

Average was 70%.

Now this is a general question for everyone

Has anyone taken Bus 237 ?

Can anyone provide feedback on that course and provide ways to do well I just need B+ in the course. My prof is Maryam ficociello btw.
SNSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #9539
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 39 Times in 12 Posts
Take Buec 232 with Chris Kellman. Really easy prof and he ends all his 2 hour lectures in 1 hour.
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #9540
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,068 Times in 358 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 17 Posts
what happens if a lecture has available seats, but all the lab sections are full and are closed?
roflwaffle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #9541

Failed 66 Times in 2 Posts
^ email prof and ask if he is going to open up more labs
korroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #9542
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 56 Times in 19 Posts
374 paper took me forever to do.

6500 words. FML.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #9543
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
Failed 134 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post

6500 words. FML.
Youre scaring me. Whos the prof? i have it next sem.

Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #9544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post

6500 words. FML.
wtf man how did you do 6500 words within 7-10 pages. I am probably only going to be able to do 3000 or less. I`d rather do a final exam then do this massive ten page paper.

I fucking hate this course. I have a feeling that our prof is going to be a total asshole and mark really tough.

How`d you do on the quiz ?

Fuck I made a mistake on the fill in the blanks where it asked

Culture eats ( blank) for breakfast ?

The answer was strategy. This was such a stupid question, but then again this is such a stupid class and our prof is a dick for asking something like that.

I can`t wait to finish my paper so I can hand it in during class and leave immediately. Fuck Cotterall and fuck his class.

Last edited by G-nerd; 03-31-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #9545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Youre scaring me. Whos the prof? i have it next sem.

Prof is Adam Cotterall. I honestly hate this guy. Although there are people that actually like him so it`s all personal preference. But here is my personal experience so far in this course. I wish I enrolled in Caykoylu`s class since that class doesn`t have to write a massive final paper.

For me lectures were really useless. His powerpoints consists of nothing but pictures. All he provides to help us prepare for the quiz is random definitions from the book and models directly taken from the book as well which he includes separate from his lecture powerpoint. He invites random people from different organizations to help apply some of the concepts. We do random discussions that are really useless to learning the concepts and he constantly tries to promote random books. He constantly throws out random info that doesn`t even become testable.

If I were you and you were taking his class, I would just skip the lectures and read the book. Save your time rather then attend his worthless lectures.

I forgot to mention, ONLY 1 QUESTION FROM LECTURE ever showed up on the quiz.

And just to make this class even more gayer, 60% of your overall mark comes from 2 papers alone. Bus 272 does not help at all. I got an A- in that course but I am probably going to end up with a C+ or B- in 374. I just want this class to be over so I can move on and never see him or this class again.

All I have to say about this class with Adam Cotterall is good luck and be prepared.

Last edited by G-nerd; 03-31-2012 at 11:51 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #9546
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
Failed 134 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Prof is Adam Cotterall. I honestly hate this guy. Although there are people that actually like him so it`s all personal preference. But here is my personal experience so far in this course. I wish I enrolled in Caykoylu`s class since that class doesn`t have to write a massive final paper.

For me lectures were really useless. His powerpoints consists of nothing but pictures. All he provides to help us prepare for the quiz is random definitions from the book and models directly taken from the book as well which he includes separate from his lecture powerpoint. He invites random people from different organizations to help apply some of the concepts. We do random discussions that are really useless to learning the concepts and he constantly tries to promote random books. He constantly throws out random info that doesn`t even become testable.

If I were you and you were taking his class, I would just skip the lectures and read the book. Save your time rather then attend his worthless lectures.

I forgot to mention, ONLY 1 QUESTION FROM LECTURE ever showed up on the quiz.

And just to make this class even more gayer, 60% of your overall mark comes from 2 papers alone. Bus 272 does not help at all. I got an A- in that course but I am probably going to end up with a C+ or B- in 374. I just want this class to be over so I can move on and never see him or this class again.

All I have to say about this class with Adam Cotterall is good luck and be prepared.
I think my prof is a recently grad-ed student. No idea how the course will be taught. : /
Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #9547

Failed 10 Times in 2 Posts
uh quick question for you guys...
are any of u having problems logging onto SIS?

I keep on getting this msg.

"Error getting content

Please contact your System Administrator."
heero78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #9548
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,290 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
I think its down this weekend
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #9549

UGH.. don't know who my Buec232 prof yet, don't know if I should take..

BTW, did anyone take Econ105 with Seong-Choi? I understand he has an accent, but how is his teaching and exams?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #9550

Quote:
UGH.. don't know who my Buec232 prof yet, don't know if I should take..

BTW, did anyone take Econ105 with Seong-Choi? I understand he has an accent, but how is his teaching and exams?
I took Econ 105 with Choi. Personally, I love his teaching style. He doesn`t spew lots of information to you like most profs do. He goes through the material slowly and has interesting stories that relate to the material. His notes are fill in the blank notes as well. Not to mention, he`s really an approachable guy.

Pros:
- 15% of your mark is based on just attending tutorials and attempting random pop up quizzes. For the pop up quizzes, it is not marked for correctness but for participation. As long as you take the quizzes and attend all tutorials, you`re earning 15%

- He provides great fill in the blank notes that are easy to follow along.

- He scales marks. As long as you get above 45% overall, he`ll guarantee you a C-.

- No assignments. Tutorials are used to answer some questions book.

- the multiple choice section of the midterms are exact duplicates of the practice questions he posts. For midterms, 30% of the exam is multiple choice. So as long as you memorize all the problem set questions, you are guaranteed at least a 30% on the exam.

- He`s just a really cool guy

- The content isn`t as graph intensive as econ 103.

Cons:

- Exams get gradually harder.
MT 1 average: 68%
MT 2 average: 60%
Final Exam average: 49%

70% of the exams are based on long answer application type questions and 30% is based on multiple choice.

-For the final exam, the multiple choice questions are not exact duplicates of the problem sets. He even said the following statement `` I want all of you to quickly look at the exam questions and choose which ones to give up on ``..... But yea the final exam was brutal.

-Midterms and the final exam was way too long

- Depending on your TA, tutorials can prove to be useless.
This post thanked by: