REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #9951
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 20 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha13 View Post
im in the same class you, so fucked
Well that was a fucked up midterm. How do you think you did ?.
Advertisement
G-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #9952
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 39 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-nerd View Post
Well that was a fucked up midterm. How do you think you did ?.
It was better than I expected... Most of the questions were pretty straightforward unlike the sample midterm. Going to study like crazy leading up to final now..

What did you think ?
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #9953
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone advise me to take bus 360, bus 393, bus 207, and bus 303 in one semester ?.

I know Bus 360 and Bus 207 are the most difficult ones but do I need to allocate a substantial amount of time on those courses to get a B or higher.

I am taking those specific courses since they are all in SFU Surrey campus and Bus 360 has no final or midterm. So 3 Finals I have to deal with.

I did a similar schedule, but with 5 courses while working 2 part time jobs (20-30 hrs / week):
Bus 360
Bus 207
Bus 303
Bus 320 (intermediate accounting)
CMNS 110W

Ended up doing decent (B or higher) in all of them, and it's definitely not easy but not as tough as people say. I'll break down each course according to my experience:

BUS 360 - Shauna Jones - takes effort and quick learning to wrap yourself around business writing, but very manageable. I spent ~3-8 hours per week on this course and was like <0.5% from an A-.

BUS 207 - Karen Ruckman - easy class, just know your supply & demand curve and some of the other concepts from the course. She is very theoretical based teacher and has simple calculations. No homework at all. Spent ~1-3 days studying for the 2 midterms and final.

BUS 303 - Robert/Bob Korth - easy class, 7 written assignments including 3 case essays (i heard its only 3 case essays now). Lecture is completely useless, i only went to 2 of them. Cases are extremely easy to write and take ~2-5 hours each and his grading scheme is easy. The journal assignments (i heard he got rid of em) take a bit more time. No midterm/final, just assignments.

BUS 320 - not relevant but for reference, i spent ~3-4 hours / week on hw
CMNS 110W - not relevant but for reference, i spent ~ 1 hour / week on hw

I still managed some free time while working and taking these 5 courses and I'm no where near smart, so it's very do-able. Go for it.

BUS 393 - Colin Hawes - I didn't do that well in this one, but its not a hard course, spend a few days before MT and Final reading the book (open book) and understanding your terminology and concepts. No HW, but 1 presentation.

Last edited by zetazeta; 06-22-2012 at 02:25 PM.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #9954

Quote:
Also a question about 312, the finance class

Since Bus 254 is a requirement for 312, do I need to have a good understanding of the 254 material to do well in 312. If it is then I am fucked since I am struggling a bit in this class.

Is 312 a separate material of its own ?

Anyone in BUS 254 with masood. I AM SO FUCKED FOR HIS MIDTERM.
Quote:
im in the same class you, so fucked
Finance 312 is nothing like 254. If you take it with George Blazenko and put in some effort, the class is a joke. Super easy, open book. Do all his past exams and you'll own it up. The class is essentially a few big calculations that you have to understand and practice a lot and you'll be fine. Very straight forward.

I'm a TA for 254 (not this semester, working a FT summer position) and I can tell you 254 and 312 have nothing in common. Pre-req's often have little to nothing related.

Never TA'd for Masood before but I can tell you from my TAing experience that this course requires a lot of understanding. The questions on the exams aren't straight forward and often require you to think beyond the homework/lecture examples. But if you know each of the concepts and calculations inside-out, you'll do good on it.

Feel free to shoot me a PM before your final if you have any questions about the concepts or want a few examples/methods that I used in my tutorials.

edit: oh feel free to pm me about any business course/elective in general. I'm heading towards my 5th year so I've taken most of them :P

Last edited by zetazeta; 06-22-2012 at 02:38 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #9955

Quote:
It was better than I expected... Most of the questions were pretty straightforward unlike the sample midterm. Going to study like crazy leading up to final now..

What did you think ?
Wow really. Shit. I found some multiple choice questions a bit difficult, so I had to guess. I was able to do the 3rd and 4th open ended for sure. I manage to do some of the second open ended but had no clue as to the 1st one. Honestly I just hope to pass this class but according to his grading scheme, 12% of the class will fail which is 20 students.

You can thank me for the low class average lol.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #9956

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
Finance 312 is nothing like 254. If you take it with George Blazenko and put in some effort, the class is a joke. Super easy, open book. Do all his past exams and you'll own it up. The class is essentially a few big calculations that you have to understand and practice a lot and you'll be fine. Very straight forward.

I'm a TA for 254 (not this semester, working a FT summer position) and I can tell you 254 and 312 have nothing in common. Pre-req's often have little to nothing related.

Never TA'd for Masood before but I can tell you from my TAing experience that this course requires a lot of understanding. The questions on the exams aren't straight forward and often require you to think beyond the homework/lecture examples. But if you know each of the concepts and calculations inside-out, you'll do good on it.

Feel free to shoot me a PM before your final if you have any questions about the concepts or want a few examples/methods that I used in my tutorials.

edit: oh feel free to pm me about any business course/elective in general. I'm heading towards my 5th year so I've taken most of them :P
Thanks a lot. I will definitely utilize your expertise. O and what is the minimum grade to become a TA in any of the business subjects? I heard that it was at least and A.

The only business class that I got close to an is is bus 272 with an A-. Rest are either B+ or B-.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #9957
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 56 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Thanks a lot. I will definitely utilize your expertise. O and what is the minimum grade to become a TA in any of the business subjects? I heard that it was at least and A.

The only business class that I got close to an is is bus 272 with an A-. Rest are either B+ or B-.
I've TA'd for two different classes before and I got an A+ in both of those ones. But the minimum to apply is an A-. They prefer you if you've taken it with the same prof and then go by grades. So you'll most likely get less priority.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #9958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splmash View Post
I've TA'd for two different classes before and I got an A+ in both of those ones. But the minimum to apply is an A-. They prefer you if you've taken it with the same prof and then go by grades. So you'll most likely get less priority.
Quote:

Minimum is a B+. I have a friend that TA'd with only a B+ in that class. They take into consideration a wide variety of things (altho I still don't completely understand how they select candidates): availability, grade, experience, English competency, professor you took it with.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #9959

Quote:
Minimum is a B+. I have a friend that TA'd with only a B+ in that class. They take into consideration a wide variety of things (altho I still don't completely understand how they select candidates): availability, grade, experience, English competency, professor you took it with.
I see. Thank you.

This next question is for those that applied for co op and landed a position.

What was your cgpa ?

How much related or non related work experience did you have ?

How competitive is it to land a postion ?

How useful are the resume and interview workshops that are required for co op ?

My status so far

cgpa: 2.79 ( probably will decrease this semester)

Work experience: Held 2 part time temporary jobs that lasted 3 months and the other 3 weeks.

extra ciriculars/sports( not sure if that's really relevant): martial arts

What are my chances of landing a co op job with these stats ?

If it's slim to none then I won't even bother applying for co op.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #9960

Quote:
I see. Thank you.

This next question is for those that applied for co op and landed a position.

What was your cgpa ?

How much related or non related work experience did you have ?

How competitive is it to land a postion ?

How useful are the resume and interview workshops that are required for co op ?

My status so far

cgpa: 2.79 ( probably will decrease this semester)

Work experience: Held 2 part time temporary jobs that lasted 3 months and the other 3 weeks.

extra ciriculars/sports( not sure if that's really relevant): martial arts

Very slim.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #9961
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 3,712 Times in 467 Posts
Failed 1,013 Times in 138 Posts
What are some fun things to do at SFU Surrey and Burnaby campus?
Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #9962
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGusta View Post
@Burnaby: Work out. Sleep in the library on those black chairs

@Surrey: Go downstairs and shop at zellers Grab some mediocre bbt at bubble 88 across the street? Check out the video game room if you don't mind getting stared at awkwardly when you walk in

Good luck, have fun :P
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #9963
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 17 Times in 13 Posts
@Burnaby: do psyc experiments, burn time and earn money, the driving sim was alright

^ agree in lincolnboi, surrey game room is a must visit. first time i went there I was like
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #9964

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeGusta View Post
BBY: Go for a run or a hike! I go at least once a week during the summer up on the mountain.

SRY: Games room and shopping!
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #9965
mc.
RS controls my life!

Failed 32 Times in 18 Posts
Anyone in Zitron's BUS 312 this semester?
mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #9966
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 49 Times in 13 Posts
has a PHD with a penmanship of a grade 5. only university prof
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #9967
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is anyone going to take or have taken ECON 383 Health Economics?
Anyone know if it's easy??
thatgirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #9968

Quote:
What was your cgpa ? 3.1x when I got the position

How much related or non related work experience did you have ? No related work experience, but I have had 4 years of experience in a variety of part time customer service positions (co-op was an accounting one)
How competitive is it to land a postion ? Depends on the position/company
How useful are the resume and interview workshops that are required for co op ? Never attended any.... can't comment. My resume at that time sucked though haha, I got lucky!

My status so far

cgpa: 2.79 ( probably will decrease this semester) Most employers don't care too much about GPA's, but you might wanna pull it up to a 3.0+ to increase your chances.
Work experience: Held 2 part time temporary jobs that lasted 3 months and the other 3 weeks. IMO, this will break it for you. You don't have much school club positions involvement and neither do you have much work experience.

extra ciriculars/sports( not sure if that's really relevant): martial arts Martial arts isn't going to help you. Get involved in business clubs or clubs/events at SFU in general. When I say get involved, I mean join the executive team, volunteer (preferrably long term commitments)

Very slim, but you can always buff up your resume/credentials during the next year and by the end of 3rd year, work hard at landing a co-op position. I didn't get a co-op placement until end of 3rd year.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #9969

Thanked 1,034 Times in 174 Posts
Failed 122 Times in 21 Posts
if you take a course via distance education and the course has a required tutorial, what happens to the tutorial?
fs604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #9970

Failed 11 Times in 3 Posts
^ You might get e-live instead where you talk in a discussion through a microphone or you just post stuff online.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #9971
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 611 Times in 61 Posts
stupid question, but I think i heard that you could take UBC summer courses even if you are in SFU, is that true?
yellowpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #9972
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc. View Post
Anyone in Zitron's BUS 312 this semester?
yeah i'm in the burnaby one
obento_supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #9973
mc.
RS controls my life!

Failed 32 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obento_supreme View Post
yeah i'm in the burnaby one
Me too, hows studying for the MT coming along?
mc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #9974
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:

Just wondering, how did you become a TA for 254 and what are the requirements? I kinda want to TA for that course too but I hear it is a little competitive. I got an A+ in that course so grade should not matter, but are there any other things that may help? I'm entering 3rd year in september.
mazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #9975
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc. View Post
Me too, hows studying for the MT coming along?
Did the sample yesterday... redoing assignments 4 and 5 tonight and tomorrow.

How about you?
obento_supreme is offline   Reply With Quote