REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #51
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daaaaaaaaan, buddy. Unlike everyone in this thread I know you and you're a wicked guy. One of the nicest guys I've met and I owe you a bunch and I'll never forget that.

But, chill out, it's just RS, right? I 100% agree with you that we need more threads with info. But, I don't think that means that the threads with no info should disappear. Quite honestly, I like looking at pictures, getting ideas and just getting a sense for what's out there, and I'm far from the average ricer.

I say, lead by example. If you have 2 minutes and there's something cool you wanna share, do it. If the crowd's receptive, it'll hopefully snowball. If it's not, well then there's nothing you can do, so no point in getting mad about it.

I miss the old RS too, sometimes. The Island side is nothing but a faint shadow of its former self (I joined in '01), but it's just a message board. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers, dude.
Advertisement
OffroadZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #52
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Failed 229 Times in 105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
Here is the GTR rim on Asian_XL's thread

and here is the information along with the article, can you read it? I can't. Need translation? I'm not bablefish.
<35GTR専用設計 鍛造1ピースアルミホイール> 
国産車・輸入車等車種にこだわらず、チューニングカーを手掛けるei8ht(エイト)より、35GTR専用 設計の8000tプレス鍛造1ピースアルミホイールを発売。
前後異形デザインで、リアは大迫力のディープ形状を採用。
サイズはフロントが10J-20inch、リアが11J-20inch (neez製)だ。
車両は1月9日に開幕する東京オートサロン2009、Abflug<アブフラッグ>ブースにて公開、展示さ れる。
<R35 bespoke design Forged 1piece aluminum wheel>

ei8ht, who tunes both domestics and imports, designed a 1 piece forged wheel made with a 8000t press. With different front and rear designs, rear comes with an intriguing deep dish design. Size is 20x10JJ front and 20x11JJ rear (manufactured by neez).
The car is shown at Tokyo Autosalon 2009 Abflug booth on Jan 9th.

As though this does anything to anyone who doesn't have an R35? It's such a hassle to type and such a small audience will benefit from it why should anyone even bother? If you post this on the R35 GTR forum certainly the majority of the board goer can benefit from the information. Even then it's only like "oooh nice wheel!".

In RS, maybe ONE member will find this information interesting? And if so can he not just search online? I mean the title is sitting right there in English right? "Neez" "Ei8ht" "R35" "wheel"? How many more keywords do you need? Our forum has a tendency to get threads pushed through the pages faster than all of Vancouver's snowplow working together too.....Why type info for something that will be out of sight in an hour?

Like someone else said, if it's really interesting to some parties they can come and reply and roll the snowball. You are asking for too much free handouts. You see random mugen kit or Zele R35 that you like then you can go find info about it, and feel free to share with us when you get some. Chances are no one cares.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #53
Banned (ABWS)

quite frankly, I kinda like the info you put there...I didn't know stock Skyline wheels are gonna be that bloody wide...interesting I wouldn't mind more posts containing info...even if some find it useless.

Good point about threads getting pushed down fast, HOWEVER, throwing in info such as what you did may be the key to keeping them alive
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #54
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 205 Times in 120 Posts
gotta go with z28 on this one.

look at the SUV thread. instead of posting a picture of a nissan pathfinder and saying "buy this" , or someone else posting a picture of a nissan pathfinder and him reply with "thats gay", he posted several informative posts on why a landrover would suit the specific needs outlined in the thread. he even went so far as to explain how cetain mods can improve the vehicle to the perticular needs.

ill put z28 in a class with the old hypa and dangonay and others.

i for one, and almost convinced Timpo is alot smarter than he seems and the only reason he posts those fucking aweful threads is to get a rise out of everyone. and it works. hes even making it quite obvious lately with posting pictures of very nice looking cars and saying they are ugly.

the point is, in the first page of VAC, there are FOURTEEN threads with the topic post containing nothing more than a picture with no substance or very little information that draws no more discussion than 40 posts of "thats ugly" that constantly bump the thread to the top. while at the same time, threads that could create alot of solid discussion get pushed to page 2 and 3 and eventually disapear. wasnt this so much of a problem that a thread was specifically created for timpo to post his shit in? what happened to that?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Timpo and Asian XL should have their own picture threads (and yeah, I think Koichi used to have his own)
Old 01-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 113 Times in 59 Posts
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #57
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 47 Times in 5 Posts
I really don't mind to see all these pictures myself. If I like that picture, that's great! I can save it for future use.

This is an internet forum. U get all sorts of different stuff on here. I won't complain if I clicked on the wrong topic coz no one pointed a gun at me & forced me to look at it. There are tons of forum all over the internet. If RS is full of stuff that u're not interested, why don't u go somewhere else & come check back few days later!?
spoonek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #58
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 83 Times in 34 Posts
The Land Rover is cooler than the tuner cars. And it's an import.

PS: Lomac gets it, and I agree

Last edited by Nightwalker; 01-09-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #59
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 83 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadZuki View Post
I miss the old RS too, sometimes. The Island side is nothing but a faint shadow of its former self (I joined in '01), but it's just a message board. Nothing more, nothing less.
This is far too true

But that's a whole different topic.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #60
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
I agree.. I pretty much don't click on threads started by Timpo because I pretty much know it's going to have nothing but pictures of an ugly car and people replying with ugly car comments...
Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #61

I suppose this is a bit of a catharsis for me, since the 4x4 forum has really gotten me back into old RS mode. It's great to simply put my argument out there, and read why Jeffh thinks differently, and then hear the OP weigh in. VAC used to be a lot like that.

Maybe the picture threads are useful. I will admit, when a friend comes on MSN and asks me what a 20" multispoke wheel will look like on an SC400, I'll look for a picture. In order to keep this, I think we make single thread where people can post pictures. If you want to post up a new tuner car with some information about who made it or why and how, then I think that should deserve it's own thread.

As for people not appreciating the mechanical stuff... well, I disagree. I personally found that pretty interesting, since I'm now pretty interested to see the rear control arms and damper set up on an R35 just to see how they clear an 11" wide wheel without a huge amount of offset. Also, while you may enjoy looking at pictures, and the majority of RSers may not understand the technical side, showing them the technical side may change that. Example:

You post up the R35 wheel with the mention that it's 11" wide.

OffroadZuki says: Damn that's wide.

Newb says: Is it?

OffroadZuki says: Most wheels are maybe 6 or 7 inches wide!

Newb learns.

Also, I think to say that most RSers won't appreciate the technical information is selling most RSers short. We're not car fans. My GF can point at a picture of a car and say it's pretty. We're car enthusiasts. We should be curious about more than how pretty a car is.

But I agree. I should lead by example. I'll drop a bunch of new threads into the VAC and see what strikes a chord. Some of you may read this and post up the "serious business" pic, and if you did, bravo. Welcome to the internet. But this isn't 4Chan, and this isn't the former Vancouver Xchange. It's more than the internet; we're not faceless fucks behind keyboards. We're a group of local car enthusiasts that frequent the same discussion board. Why should we not take some pride and just a wee bit of ownership in this site that brings us together?

EDIT: This thread is at 60 replies. It's currently the third longest thread on the first VAC page. The only ones longer are the "Streets of HK" threads and "How to Keep a Car Clean in the Winter" threads. That's really saying something; when the longest thread on an automotive forum is a thread about how people SHOULDN'T be posting. That screams one thing to me: time for change.

Through the mud and the blood to the green field beyond.
Faugh A'Ballaugh.

Last edited by 1983 Z28; 01-10-2009 at 02:15 AM.
1983 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #62
RabidMod

Thanked 1,322 Times in 475 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
For what it's worth, I completely agree. Every last word. Props to you for doing your bit to make a difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 AM   #63

yeah I guess what I'm saying is maybe instead of coming out and say "dude stop posting this shyt" maybe you can start posting "interesting articles" yourself then maybe some other similar-minded people would follow.

otherwise pictures threads are nice. Don't hate. I come to RS totally expect picture threads to "wow wtf" me.

So "stop posting tuner threads" is probably not the best way to put it.

Maybe if you see another Timpost you can research a bit and find something interesting about it (if it interests you) and see if we can start a trend about it. But if we don't have pictures thread all we'll have left is "shit where do I sue the government for me driving too fast into a pothole?" and "where do I find a bodyshop to rice out my car because I just pulled a soccer mum and wanna rice out my car while I'm gonna have it fixed"

at least "tuner cars" are always new.

Also those "tuner cars" that you totally don't appreciate probably have some ingenuity in it other than the bodykit and rims.... it's left for the treasure hunter to find out.

Last edited by hk20000; 01-10-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #64

First off, I'd agree. "Stop Posting Tuner Threads" was definitely the wrong way to put it, but I am glad I titled this thread that dramatically; these vehement responses have given me a lot of insight.

Second, I tried that. Sadly, the first one I came to was the Prelude with the anime paint. And I lost all faith. WTF. Like. Seriously?

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #65

LOL actually if you are at all interested in that there is the whole topic of "itasha" which you can research into and talk about if you are interested in it....

I mean there is enough cult following that there are magazines that go about this style exclusively. (Itasha Road)

It's a style, like lowridin', VIP and drift "style" ....... you lose all faith but that style is sort of what I'm pursuiting with my JDM import car.

It doesn't hurt anyone right? So let it be!

Here have another WTF car:

you can be as disappointed and WTF'd about it as much as you want but under the anime skin this is a white knuckled race hardened Super GT GT300 class race car. They were brave enough to be the only BMW Z4 Motorsport race car out there with a V8 under the hood... So props to them.

Finally I'd like to mention the whole reason why there are so few actually "go faster" tuner cars these days compared to the 90s: Cars are fast enough out of the box. Car people have come to finally realise that instead of making a 2.5i faster it's better to save up and just get the STi, instead of making the D16Z 100bhp it's better to buy a Civic Si or at least the engine of a Civic Si....... Power comes so easily and reliably from factory ot's hard to justify tuning modern cars (say 2004 onwards....) We also picked up all the hot models around the world (other than a few European "lukewarm" models) the need for speed is more easily obtained from Toyota than TRD...

I mean come on you can get a new Camry that will put out more power than a R32GTR stock for stock.......who still tunes for performance these days? Especially when there is no proper motorsport venue around...

Last edited by hk20000; 01-10-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #66

Here's my point: I looked at Timpo's post and went WTF.

I read your post and learned something. Yeah, I won't lie, it's not my taste, but I learned something, and that's all I'm asking. Hell, I'm googling it now.

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 AM   #67

Ah exactly. But you see if I typed up a whole paragraph about Itasha, chances are, no one will read about it. And I'd be wasting my time. So even if I'm very interested in the subject myself, I'd google it up, find funny pictures of it, and keep the rest to myself.

As you have demonstrated yourself, if I really posted a lengthy post about it, you won't want to read it. So I wouldn't bother.

If this is like "itahsa.com" then maybe there is more incentive. But we are a anything-goes forum it's hard to cater to majority's needs and wants. Mugen Accord, Zele R35 funny rims and stuff are sort of on topic but again they will be interesting to select few, and they can google up info all they want. A lengthy paragraph about the Mugen TSX being actually Supercharged by Blitz, giving it extra 20% torque before VTEC is only going to be interesting to honda heads (I made all that shit up, so don't try to find out about that.). I'm assuming you'll be less than interested to hear about it. I can totally see a come back to that kind of post being "but still my lugnuts have more torque than that piece of shit"......discouraging any valuable discussion thereafter..

but hey since we are here let me get you some links to read:
GT300 team with anime sticker official homepage
Auto Salone 2008

you can youtube and google alot of stuff with words you see in these sites.

Last edited by hk20000; 01-10-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #68

Actually, if you'd posted up a whole article, or at least links to articles, I'd read them. Yes, I'm googling it, but that's only because the few words you included did pique my interest. And I'm not asking for gratuitous amounts of information, but I don't think it's too mcuh to ask to throw a couple links, or a couple paragraphs of text into a thread about a car. If you felt it was important enough to make an entire thread about, you should feel obliged to at least tell us why you feel that way.

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #69
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

This thread is useless, Z28, if u dont like those import threads, dont read them.

I really appreciate all the effort Timpo and fellow revsceners' effort to post latest tuner cars here, because I dont really have time to google in on the web.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #70
Banned (ABWS)

blanktape...seriously, dude. You've missed the boat. Your comment may have been relevant two pages back lol

Z and the rest are coming to a happy middle ground...shut the hell up and let things take their course, something good might just come out of it

Last edited by OffroadZuki; 01-10-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #71

Failed 132 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanktape View Post
This thread is useless, Z28, if u dont like those import threads, dont read them.

I really appreciate all the effort Timpo and fellow revsceners' effort to post latest tuner cars here, because I dont really have time to google in on the web.
+1,,, dont read if u dont like, or move this thread to fight club
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #72
Banned (ABWS)

oooooooor you could realize that Dan has some very good points and that maybe there's a happy middle ground between the nothing-but-rice threads that have been posting and Dan's original idea of getting rid of all of them, by letting Timpo/Asian XL post all their pics in one thread and other people like Dan posting threads full of information (ie: the 911 thread)...

it's such a bypass-the-brain, knee-jerk reaction to say "if you don't like it don't click it or fuck off"...sure Dan kinda came out with both barrells a-blazin', but he makes some great points and, if his ideas catch on, this would be a much more interesting/informative/diverse VAC

Last edited by OffroadZuki; 01-10-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #73

Ooooooooooooooor... they could have taken the whole five minutes to read this thread's content.

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #74
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 84 Times in 14 Posts
Z28, I do know what you mean. Quite frankly RS is the wrong place if you're looking for much anything of substance. I read RS because most of the time I feel less stupid afterwards

The term "import car enthusiast" is an oxymoron. If you are looking for more in-depth stuff, check out fora where people are seriously building their own cars:

Here's how a 240 is BUILT:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=139581
http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=163184

(looks like freshalloy requires registration now, but it's well worth it - author describes choices made based on needs of the application, rather than the brand name that's been stamped on the radiator cap). In my opinion, 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 times more impressive than some tarted-up garish CF'd show car that's never driven.

Big honkin' 8cyl meat, little Asian body
http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx-7-bu...car-build.html

Again, built with a firm purpose in mind. The brand name doesn't matter - the application does.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #75
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadZuki View Post
blanktape...seriously, dude. You've missed the boat. Your comment may have been relevant two pages back lol

Z and the rest are coming to a happy middle ground...shut the hell up and let things take their course, something good might just come out of it
We dont need member like you to tell people to shut up and what makes you think you have the right to tell people shut? That is very rude!

And your respond is just equally useless as this thread.

I am not going to respond to this thread, I think Admin has a pretty good idea what is allowed and whats not.

Last edited by blanktape; 01-10-2009 at 12:59 PM.
blanktape is offline   Reply With Quote