REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMW's Chris Bangle Resigns

February 03, 2009

Chris Bangle, the head of design for the BMW Group since 1992 and one of the most controversial and well-known designers in the auto industry, resigned his post on Monday, according to the company.

His exit, say people familiar with the company, was not forced. Rather, said the same executives, the designer had been laying groundwork for an exit for many months.

Bangle achieved infamy as well as fame in 2001 when he introduced the BMW 7 Series hat the Frankfurt Motor Show to catcalls over a high squared off trunk lid that came to be known as the “Bangle butt,” as well as a new console mounted computer-mouse-like knob that was designed to control most of the electronic functions of the car, called iDrive.

But to pin down Bangle’s career as merely controversial is unfair. “It’s difficult to find a designer in the auto business who thoroughly dominated discussion in a given decade and Chris Bangle did it in two decades,” says Jim Hall of 2953 Analytics, Birmingham MI, who has worked with several automakers on design and product planning.

When Bangle was hired at BMW, the company was embarking on a mission to shake up its design footprint. “We were making sausages at different lengths and management at that time, especially chairman Eberhard von Kuenheim and technical director Wolfgang Reitzle, felt we need to break away and chart a new course for the company and the brand…we were going to be introducing SUVs and new sports cars and we needed a design language in which to do it,” Bangle said in an interview with me for a book I wrote in 2004, “Driven: Inside BMW, The Most Admired Car Company in the World.”

Bangle oversaw the design of numerous breakout and brand changing designs for the BMW brand and BMW as a company including the 2001 and 2009 7 Series, three generations of 3 Series and 5 Series, BMW’s foray into SUVs, including the X5, X3 and X6, as well as the 1 Series, and the comeback of the 6 Series. He also oversaw the design of BMW’s recent re-do of the MINI Cooper, as well as the MINI Clubman, more so than the design of the original 2000 MINI. And he led the design of the Rolls Royce Phantom after BMW acquired the iconic British brand.

Automotive journalists have been harsh on several of Bangle’s designs when they have been introduced. But in just about every case, such as the 2001 7 Series and Z4, criticism tempered after a year or two as it became clear that rivals like Toyota, including its Lexus division and Mercedes, were adopting some of Bangle’s design cues and principals to their cars and SUVs.

“We aren’t copying anyone else’s design language, not even our own, and I think that makes some people uncomfortable,” said Bangle in a previous interview with me.

Because BMWs are so loved by their buyers, and by the media, anyone who is head of design is going to be much scrutinized. Bangle has been a lightning rod not only because of the risks he has taken, but because of where he has taken them.

There is a reason why risky avante garde plays seldom debut or even end up on Broadway, and why the New York stage is most often filled with crowd pleasing revivals like “Annie Get Your Gun” and “Damn Yankees.” Few companies and few creative talents are comfortable airing out their riskiest ideas in front of the masses. That was Bangle’s assignment, and history will probably treat him better than the present day media has.

Bangle also pushed BMW to acquire Designworks, the California design studio that had been doing some contract work for BMW in the early 1990s. Bangle’s idea was that having a design studio that did work in a variety of industries and categories would not only inform BMW’s design studio, but it would also give the company’s designers a steady outlet of work outside of cars and SUVs that would keep the talent fresh and energized. Still, the only automaker to own an independent design studio, it has proven to be a useful recruiting tool, and training ground, as well.

Bangle’s most recent high profile design is of the Gina, an experimental concept car that seeks to replace the vehicle’s static metal or fiberglass skin with a one of cloth that can change the shape and aerodynamics of the car The idea is that a car could be made to be as safe as current cars, but that the shape can be flexible. It is an idea that Bangle had as far back as design school in the early 1980s.

This is a video featuring bangle talking about the philosophy around Gina.

Bangle has been restoring a home in Tuscany Italy where he figures to spend most of his time. And in private conversations, he has talked of making wine and perhaps opening a Grapparia. We’ll check in with him later this week and ask what he plans.

Bangle’s role as BMW Group design chief is being assumed by Adrian van Hooydonk, who has been in charge of the BMW brand designs for the last couple of years.

Hooydonk, who previously was director of Designworks, has led the designs of several influential BMW designs such as the 2009 7 Series, X Coupe concept, X5 and 3 Series.

There has been a much whispering over the past several years about who is the more talented designer, Hooydonk or Bangle. Who deserves more credit for successes? Who was more responsible for the X5 and Z4? In the automotive design arena, there is always backbiting, credit grabbing and the like. Though I have never heard it uttered by either man.

My observation of any car company is that designers are usually as successful as their bosses allow them to be. Up until now, Bangle has been over Hooydonk, so it has been Bangle’s leadership that has steered BMW’s sometimes risky design endeavors during what has also been its most financially successful period of time. Bangle has been in charge of hiring, assigning designers to their respective projects, directing internal competitions, teaching, leading, inspiring.

Hooydonk is extremely talented. But he will have a tough act to follow.

Link
Advertisement
Nike One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

yup read that today. as much as I dislike the 'new' generations of bmw's, he did design the e39 which imo is automotive perfection
Nitroholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 85 Times in 35 Posts
Sad....his designs grow on you.
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,384 Times in 2,406 Posts
Failed 393 Times in 159 Posts
Thank god.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 159 Times in 63 Posts
haaha, his designs aren't that outrageous. It's just that ppl r not comfortable with changes. I loved how he pushed the limits. Withouut someone like him, we'll be missing many good designs.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
hated the e90 when i came out, now I don't. I think it looks quite aggressive
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
People who don't like Bangle don't really know how much of an influence he has put on automotive design. Just take a look at Audi and Mercedes and tell me who they got their influence from.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 7 Times in 4 Posts
I agree. I absolutely hate his designs when they first get unveiled. They definitely do grow on you and you really start to LOVE them after.
ienhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I just hope to never hear the term "bangle butt" again. His influence was definitely felt in the last few years across the industry, that is not to say it was a good thing in my personal opinion, but popular opinion will sway the decision making faction in any automotive design dept, regardless of the feelings of automotive enthusiasts. We are not the audience designers cater to.

I wonder if the recent redesign of the Mini was as conservative as it was in reaction to criticism or if Bangle just wanted to play it safe...
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Failed 398 Times in 41 Posts
love the e46 m3

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)
89 exo cage Toyota truck (so many gears to choose from)

I own nothing that is practical hahahaha
NashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Cars would look boring these days if it wasn't for Bangle.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 16 Times in 13 Posts
His styling wasn't boring, but it didn't look great either. The elements never seemed to come together in an attractive cohesive fashion. e.g. The E46 3 series looks better than the E90 3 series.

Yes, MB and Audi are more aggressive now and are arguably look better than the 3 series to most people. I think that just goes to show how much more attractive BMW could have been with a different designer. They shouldn't need to sell cars just based on being the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Bottom line: Good riddance.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #13
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
it was a designer called antony or antonio who designed the ugly 7....

bangle was just a chief designer, basically he just sits there and convinced the directors to use the design.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #14
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,384 Times in 2,406 Posts
Failed 393 Times in 159 Posts
The new 7 series is a epic failure. Mercedes is really killing it with their new designs, hopefully BMW can match them.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #15
Resident Bullshitter

Failed 1,140 Times in 246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
His styling wasn't boring, but it didn't look great either. The elements never seemed to come together in an attractive cohesive fashion. e.g. The E46 3 series looks better than the E90 3 series.

Yes, MB and Audi are more aggressive now and are arguably look better than the 3 series to most people. I think that just goes to show how much more attractive BMW could have been with a different designer. They shouldn't need to sell cars just based on being the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Bottom line: Good riddance.
chris bangle designed the E46, not the E90
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
The new 7 series is a epic failure. Mercedes is really killing it with their new designs, hopefully BMW can match them.

maybe in your opinion, you might like MB design, unfortunately most consumers don't agree with you based on MB Sales Vs BMW sales over the past 5 years.

Why did you think BMW made the new 7 series look less contraversial and more like a Lexus? = sell more cars
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 AM   #17

Failed 16 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
chris bangle designed the E46, not the E90
Actually, he worked on both of them. It's just later in his career he went from conservative...to so called "cutting edge".
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

if there was no bangle, MB and audi would have no competition and wouldnt have stepped up there designs.
I wonder what the future bmws gonna loook like...........
so is the new Z4 the last of bangles design? if it is he went out with a fucking huge BANG
trduhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
Resident Bullshitter

Failed 1,140 Times in 246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
Actually, he worked on both of them. It's just later in his career he went from conservative...to so called "cutting edge".
he was in charged of the E46 design. after that he was promoted to be the design chief looking after everyone else. you can say he worked on every bmw since he is the design head

the E90 incorporated his design influenced but was design by Joji_Nagashima

Adrian van Hooydonk is the one that fucked up the new 7 series and designed X6,
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Failed 398 Times in 41 Posts
some of the bmw re mind me about this

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)
89 exo cage Toyota truck (so many gears to choose from)

I own nothing that is practical hahahaha
NashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #21

Failed 10 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
some of the bmw re mind me about this
you are sir, are retarded if you think that BMW's look like that.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Failed 63 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n'drew View Post
you are sir, are retarded if you think that BMW's look like that.
he said "re mind", learn your words.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5