REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 62 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
The trannies are bulletproof unless you get a leaky rad that ruins it with coolant. Damn W203 C-class has soooo many major problems.

Nice to find a local Vancouver forum to meet other car nuts, the MB forums can be stale at times. Are you going to the Mar 22nd meet?
RS is more for entertainment if anything Not too much useful Euro-specific info here.

Not sure about the meet, but might go if I'm not doing anything on that day. You?
Advertisement
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #27
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
thats usually a valve body problem if it shifts hard on kickdowns.

welcome to the MB family.....just hope you never get the SRS airbag light.
Actually we did get the SRS light.. Wire harness problem, luckily car is still under warranty and it only took them 1 hour to change the wire harness

We had the transmission reprogrammed 2 times, then changed valve body, then reprogrammed again, then finally changed the tranny.

Also our alternator voltage regulator was faulty when the car was new and caused the AC Blower to overload and cut out on hot summer days.

German engineers
Prostrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Failed 765 Times in 247 Posts
I'm still on the edge. I'll probably make my decision when i come back from asia.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 112 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostrho View Post
Actually we did get the SRS light.. Wire harness problem, luckily car is still under warranty and it only took them 1 hour to change the wire harness

We had the transmission reprogrammed 2 times, then changed valve body, then reprogrammed again, then finally changed the tranny.

Also our alternator voltage regulator was faulty when the car was new and caused the AC Blower to overload and cut out on hot summer days.

German engineers
Me too... I just got my srs light fixed aswell. B107a and B107c faults.. (wire to the SOS was broken). My car is now out of warranty so all i did was get a mb tech to turn off the SOS feature and the faults went away...

I also had to swap out my valvebody once, had the tranny reprogrammed 2x, replaced the backup alarm/battery 2x and had a step motor fail on me, A/C module fail, passenger seat mass sensor fail....

The amount of money spent to fix these faults = exeeds the value of most peoples cars...hahaha

next time i'll learn to not love my mb so much so i can unload her before warranty runs out...

theres a nice CL63 parked infront of mb richmond....
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #30
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
wowow... after reading all of this i can't help but ask what your yearly income is and what is your credit card limit because MB ownership sounds like a deep money pit
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
I also had to swap out my valvebody once, had the tranny reprogrammed 2x, replaced the backup alarm/battery 2x and had a step motor fail on me, A/C module fail, passenger seat mass sensor fail....

The amount of money spent to fix these faults = exeeds the value of most peoples cars...hahaha

next time i'll learn to not love my mb so much so i can unload her before warranty runs out...
I have $12K into repairs on my car outside of warranty:

- hole in piston (there's a TSB about piston wall damage) blew the HG and ruined the entire motor and the primary cat, $7K for a used motor/exhaust manifold installed
- MAF/O2 sensors from leaking cam sensors
- leaking diff
- rust! Its been painted twice under warranty, third time was paid 75% by MB as goodwill cause warranty was done
- AC condenser, crappy quality that was replaced on later models

I made the same mistake of loving my MB too much rather than unloading it after the lease was up.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #32
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
holly shit, MB's maintenance billl is scary

$12g? wow

mind if i ask which model of Benz that u are driving costing this crazy amount of money to maintain?
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the 06 cls i'd watch out for some navi problems, didnt have navi in my 06 cls55 so can't speak first hand, but I did have some strange issues from time to time with my audio system not working then inexplicably working again.

taylor192, while the previous gen w203 may have been plagued with issues, there's only a handful of w204's I've seen/read of with serious issues these days. My c63 so far has been problem free (knock on wood :P)

I know the c230 kompressors have had an overabundance of issues, but you have to remember it is in the lower regions of merc's model lineup, and made during the era when merc really started sacrificing their QC. I mean I had a friend with a c230 kompressor, and his interior trim was falling apart left and right not to mention rust everywhere. These days they're making efforts to improve their reliability and they did catch a few saboteurs, who were purposely damaging vehicles so that local shops could reap in money from merc, in their QA lineup a few months back.
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #34
Banned (ABWS)

Check for dead people in the trunk i think there was a recall for that
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomelon View Post
taylor192, while the previous gen w203 may have been plagued with issues, there's only a handful of w204's I've seen/read of with serious issues these days. My c63 so far has been problem free (knock on wood :P)
Lets hope so, yet the posts on MBW and BW don't give me any warm fussies that the W204 is that much better.

The W203 was significantly tested using computer models, the W204 was tested using an actual production vehicle.

Quote:
I know the c230 kompressors have had an overabundance of issues, but you have to remember it is in the lower regions of merc's model lineup, and made during the era when merc really started sacrificing their QC. I mean I had a friend with a c230 kompressor, and his interior trim was falling apart left and right not to mention rust everywhere.
Its the era that's the problem.

MB cheaped out on rust proofing on a range of vehicles. There were 3 early 2000s S-classes in for complete repaints while I was there, stripped down to the frame. For the C-class they are admitting rust, yet won't go that far to repaint and treat everything like on the S-class. The shop manager told me to sell it after this last round of warranty paint work, cause he knows the rust will come back.

The early 2000 ML had tons of problems, and the first W211 E-classes were prone as well. Basically anything made 2000-2003 sucked from MB.

Quote:
These days they're making efforts to improve their reliability.
The product maybe, yet my problem is with how cheaply service treated me.

I found these problems online and confronted my service adviser about them. The Service Adviser knew of the problems, yet wasn't authorized to fix them unless it fit a narrow list of engine builds (which mine was not a part of, yet obviously affected) or not at all.
- leaking cam sensors ($80 of parts prevents $1K+ in damage). My car went through 2 O2 sensors under warranty, then another out of warranty before I found the problem and the fix online. When I confronted the SM, he admitted to knowing the problem yet my engine build wasn't in the TSB so his hands were tied.
- cracked vacuum hoses, recall was in the US, Canada wouldn't honor it until recently. 6 hrs of labour to fix, glad I at least did this one myself.

All cars have problems, its how the company stands behind the product that builds a reputation. MB did not admit to and fix the problems with my car, that's terrible treatment especially when they know the car is plagued with issues and would rather wait until they fail outside of warranty.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #36
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
mind if i ask which model of Benz that u are driving costing this crazy amount of money to maintain?
That's unscheduled repairs that should never have happened.

Maintenance is about the same as any car, repairs suck.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #37
Unauthourized Spammer

Pretty much if you want something reliable don't buy a benz.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #38
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Pretty much if you want something reliable don't buy a benz.
if so that goes the same for BMW and AUDI

guess Lexus is the way to go if u want high end + reliablity
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote