REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Heading to Cancun!

Ok, so im going to cancun for spring break but am not sure what to bring? For those who have gone, anything to look at for? Recommendations, tips? THANKS
Advertisement
Deezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Not a mod

Failed 102 Times in 14 Posts
Just watch out for people trying to kidnap or kill you and you should be fine.

Spring break in Cancun is an uneasy holiday

Drug violence grows in Mexico

MCTMarch 8, 2009

CANCUN, Mexico -- Students preparing for spring break at this beach resort have a spate of bad local news to factor into their plans: the brutal slaying of an army general, the jailing of the police chief for alleged complicity in the killing, and a link to the feared Zetas drug gang based along the Mexico-Texas border.

The head of the city jail was also jailed late last month, and a dozen city police are being investigated after the discovery of a Zeta "cell" turned up a list of authorities alleged to be on the take.

Recent events suggest that Cancun is starting to see the drug violence that has long plagued places like Ciudad Juarez. Mexican officials say it ain't so, asserting that the 18-mile island with its hundreds of hotels, restaurants and bars is immune from the narco-violence popping up in the adjoining downtown and the larger metropolitan area on the mainland known as Benito Juarez.

But some spring breakers already here, many from the U.S., are taking extra precautions.

"We have not left the resort, and we arranged transportation ahead of time," said Adrienne Smith, 21, of Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa. She and her friends have no plans to visit "the other Cancun" beyond the hotel strip.

"Even before we came here, tons and tons of people told us how dangerous it is, like muggings," she said.

And some analysts say that the relative security in the "hotel zone" could disappear quickly should a drug turf war break out in a region long know for drug trafficking and immigrant smuggling.

Ed Coleman, 23, came from the Rochester Institute of Technology prepared in case of trouble. He arranged cellphone service in Mexico and saved the phone numbers of the U.S. Consulate and Embassy.

"So far, we have not seen much of anything" in terms of trouble, he said.

But as the bulk of "los espring breakers," as the Mexican media call them, start to arrive this weekend, analysts say that there is a latent fear that Cancun could go the direction of once-popular party spots for Americans like Ciudad Juarez, Tijuana and even Acapulco, which has had drug hits along its hotel strip.

Arturo Yanez, a commentator on the drug trade, said Cancun "is on the verge of becoming the Ciudad Juarez of the southeast because it is one of the principal entrances for drugs from Central America."

Both Juarez and Cancun have had a rapid influx of outsiders and a history of police corruption. Mario Villanueva, the former governor of the state where Cancun is located, Quintana Roo, was imprisoned a decade ago for drug crimes.

For now, because of its importance to tourism, the resort appears to be "under control," Yanez said, "but someone who wants to assert himself there," such as a newly arrived rival drug group, "could change all of that."

Mayor Gregorio Sanchez Martinez, whose nephew was killed in early February when drug traffickers abducted and killed retired army Gen. Mauro Enrique Tello, said the high-level killing was "an isolated incident" and a direct reaction to a government crackdown against trafficking groups, which Sanchez said would continue with greater vigour. The city had hired Tello to set up an elite police force to fight drug trafficking.

Alejandro Betancourt Perez, head of the island's separate tourist police, said that crime against tourists has decreased over the past year. He does admit with some embarrassment that two of his former officers are being tried for allegedly raping an American tourist.

Far more dangerous than the narcos for spring breakers, officials said, are the university kids themselves. Fights, fuelled by alcohol, and rapes continue to be problems, along with car or motorcycle accidents.
© Copyright (c) The Province

Source: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Spri...901/story.html
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
I don't get it

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
LOTS OF SUNSCREEEN!
But then again, i went in the summer.. but still, i bet the sun is just as deadly during the day in march =(

But yeah, ^ watch out for creepy mexicans trying to sell you stuff or take you places. And never walk around the streets by yourself. Even during the day time. And dont go to the town... it's really scary there >_>;
but have fun! it should be a blast! If you get a chance, goto Coco Bongo, its in the area with all the night clubs, it's one of the best clubs there with acrobats and other performaces! very cool!
NimbeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 28 Posts
Lip balm, sun screen. I took an extra suitecase with 2 cases of water. Condoms, if you roll that way, or just go bare back.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
Failed 259 Times in 88 Posts
heres a tip. bullet proof vest.
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, I am leaving on the 15th - the 23rd and my passport expires on the 26th. A buddy of mine said they may not let me fly? I doubt it but just looking for a sure answer
Old 03-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Not a mod

Failed 102 Times in 14 Posts
your buddy is stupid and doesn't know what he's talking about. If you want to make certain its not going to be a problem, call a travel agent (ie. Flight Centre)
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezle View Post
Also, I am leaving on the 15th - the 23rd and my passport expires on the 26th. A buddy of mine said they may not let me fly? I doubt it but just looking for a sure answer
I've heard something like that too, but i believe it wasnt that they wont allow you to fly, im pretty sure you can still fly. it's just they cant issue you a visa for another country i think. cause if i remember correctly my grandparents were trying to apply for VISA for the US from HK and they wouldnt do it until they renewed their passports cause it was gonna expire within like a month or something. =/

you should be fine, but call an agency to make sure
Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh alright, thanks alot!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Failed 61 Times in 38 Posts
have fun and pacl lots of sunscreen
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn some basic spanish and be aware of your surroundings. Don't over tip or they won't leave you alone. Have lot's of fun.
darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
just got back from cancun, and i have never EVER partied so much! still feeling the effects, even a week afterwards! for those wanting to party/clubbing go to Basic on Wednesday, and City on Thursday. Basic is not as crowded, but was definately one of the best clubs we went to (went there twice), and City is just HUGE and very packed! Of course there was Coco Bongo too, which is good if you havent been there yet and we also went to Bulldogs, which was a complete waste of time because you have to wait 30 minutes before getting a drink, and if you want them quick, you need to tip the waiter, even though you have paid for all inclusive.
Revive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #13
I am Hook'd on RS

Just got back from cancun two weeks ago. Go clubbing every night, you're right in the middle of the busiest time of the year there (spring break) so you'll see a lot of americans. Don't worry about being kidnaped or anything, cancun is so westernized you won't notice anything. Hell i bought drugs 3 times down there lol. It will be some of the best partying you'll ever do so enjoy it while it lasts!

oh ya and make sure to bring low standards and a whole lot of i don't give a fuck
justin476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
I don't get it

Yeahh! Basic wasnt bad! That was the one on the water right, if my memory doesnt fail me? With the water spraying up from the platform? haha
I went there my first night there last summer, it was pretty wicked. Though the place was quite small if we're talking about the same one lol but very fun, however!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #15
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
lol dam u guys who are scaring the ppl that wanna go cancun
Durrann1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,616 Times in 3,577 Posts
Failed 1,506 Times in 644 Posts
Bring a lot of american 1 dollar bills for tipping.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea, so i came back a while ago and WOW... is all i can say. definately heading back next year. For those who went, which hotel did you guys stay at? Clubbing there is insane, First night I went to Coco Bongo, 2nd night, was Dady'O which was by far the best, they played good dance music for the first half of the night then, there was this crazy intro where this huge guy painted in silver came out with fireworks shooting out of his arms, then the whole club started pounding house music. Basic was good, with the foam and everything except i think it was a little too much, started getting in my eyes and burned like crazy. Bulldog was okay, and lastly Senor Frogs was pretty fun. For those who go, buy open bar! its worth it, and just watch out for the scammers and dirty, crooked cops.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezle View Post
Yea, so i came back a while ago and WOW... is all i can say. definately heading back next year. For those who went, which hotel did you guys stay at? Clubbing there is insane, First night I went to Coco Bongo, 2nd night, was Dady'O which was by far the best, they played good dance music for the first half of the night then, there was this crazy intro where this huge guy painted in silver came out with fireworks shooting out of his arms, then the whole club started pounding house music. Basic was good, with the foam and everything except i think it was a little too much, started getting in my eyes and burned like crazy. Bulldog was okay, and lastly Senor Frogs was pretty fun. For those who go, buy open bar! its worth it, and just watch out for the scammers and dirty, crooked cops.
Stayed at Riu Caribe last year, staying at Riu Palace Las Americas this time around. I've found the RIUs to be a good balance of people who want to chill and have a good time in the hotel and then go out and go nuts at the clubs afterwards.

Open bar with your hotel is always the best bet. Skip the line, get table & bottle service, just gotta find your way home at the end of the night, either a 0.60 bus or 10-15$ taxi if you're far away.