REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 04-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #101
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoi An definately has a lot of tourists as well. Basically, if you stick to the main cities you're going to find a lot of tourists, but obviously there are more in places like Saigon.

It would be a shame if you go to Vietnam and didn't get away from the city life to visit the smaller villages, even if it's just for a quick visit during the day. You would be missing out on a huge part of what the country consists of. The little leaf huts that have dirt for floors overlooking acres and acres of rice patties... it is a breathtaking scene. Once you see things like that, it makes you wonder why some people feel the need to all get tied up in fancy cars and designer clothes.
Advertisement
miss604si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #102
I am Hook'd on RS

I don't want to jack your thread with a bunch of pictures, but here's an example of what I'm talking about...

Old 04-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #103
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 70 Times in 20 Posts
majin I dont know you but I am living in Da Nang. If your in the area for a couple days more let me know and I can show you around a bit.

PM for mobile if you would like.

Where are you staying in Hoi An?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:00 AM   #104

btw Hue has just as many tourists as Hoi An but is a lot more boring. I will give you a full day and 1 night before your done with Hue. However the drive to Hue is completely worth it. Some of the best scenery I have seen. Almost as nice as driving through the rockies.

Check out the big Buddha on Monkey Mountain. You can see it from basically anywhere in Da Nang.

If your looking for a bit of village experience you can go to Marble Mountain but check out the 2nd mountain off of the main road area.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #105
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Failed 765 Times in 247 Posts
I already did the little villages thing. We went through the daklak province, and I did meet several ethnic hmongs, infact i did dalat to nha trang through the hochimihn trail on a motorbike (i have photo's too... but I'mm too busy to process them) I went to a vietnamese wedding today (i make friends very very fast) and i gotta say they live up to their stereotypes, tacky lighting, heavy drinking karaoke (why does the white guy gotta sing!!!!!... I sung eye of the tiger LOL)

I'm leaving hoian in about 8 hours. I'm going to wake up at 6 am so i can go to the market and get another bowl of the cao lao (damn its sooooooooooo good) and then go to hue just for the night.

I did the whole hai van pass thing on a motorbike, when i went to go see my son and marble mountains and china beach one day and then went to danang and just did the pass on the way back.

I have 1 week left in vietnam, After hue today (i really just want to visit citadel, have the 7 beef dish and imperial palace) , I'm leaving tomorrow to go to hanoi for 1 day (hochimihn, b52 bombers, and a couple of ruins around town) and then doing my tour around halong bay.

And damn I have to leave this place... I burned through so much money getting clothing tailored for me... i actually got a richard hammond jacket made. I'm serious too. Pictures to come. Granted it's really cheap. I got a long peacoat, 2 dress jackets, 3 shirts and 1 pants for 230 USD. Custom tailored to my body too.

For anyone that is going to vietnam soon, I recommend a long silk tailoring (in old town) and a dong silk (pricier, but they get the job done)

And you know whats fucked up... vancouver is a very fucked up place. First of all, I GOT BETTER WHITE FOOD HERE THAT I HAVE EVER HAD IN VANCOUVER. And it was pizza, and pasta.... better than anything i've had in vancouver. And the girls in vancouver... after coming here and having 9/10 coming up to me and asking why I have no girlfriend, and saying i'm very good looking (not passport seekers) ive come to relise vancouver = shallow souless place.

Sorry for my drunken rant... apparently a vietnamese persons goal at a wedding is to get him as drunk as possible.... MOT HAI BA YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #106
I am Hook'd on RS

Hahaha you're picking up on the language quite well! Eat as much Cao Lao as you can because that is the only place you can get it. No where else in Vietnam had it... some people don't even know what it is. And there's no hope in hell that you'll find it here... I totally crave that!! Not even gonna lie... I'm pretty jealous right now.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #107
Banned By Establishment

mi quang this morning... havn't had it yet. White rose was pretty good too.

Central market has the best food.

khong sao! Ahn yew em!!! tuyet!!!!

I'm actually learning alot of vietnamese, i actually know how to order food, flirt with a girl, count to 10, and know the basic's.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #108
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Failed 19 Times in 5 Posts
man, i was in nam last august. it was the crappiest weather. kept raining during the day so couldnt do anything at all. my cousin wanted to take me golfing and tennis but couldnt cause of the damn weather.

one of the funniest things in nam was when we went to a restaurant to eat snails at night. now these nam restaurants are more like little holes in the wall, and you sit on the side walk with little tables and chairs. we went around 8pm and next to the restaurant was an electronic store. it was packed and people were standing on the street waiting for a table. 9pm rolls around, and the electronic store closes. the restaurant expands with like 10 new tables. ahahhahaa. they brought out tables and started setting them up on the sidewalk in front of the electronic store.

and the real killer was during dinner, these two guys on a bicycle come by. they have a boombox on the back of the bicycle. they start doing karaoke and ask you to buy their candy stick. ah man.....nam is funny.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #109
無敵

Failed 33 Times in 17 Posts
^ Restaurant?
That sounds like the street food stands.
There's a ton of indoor restaurants that are huge.
Those shady small places are just street food.

But yeah, people are pretty friendly and flirty over there.
Or so it seems to me =3 I don't know if it's the overly friendly thing that I'm taking as flirting though. Haha. Good thing I have my cousins to take me around. Guys are too flirty there and everyone wants to befriend you. XD
Just not so much in major cities.

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #110

haha. Majin those are probably the 2 most popular things said from any Vietnamese to foriengers.

Do you have girlfriend? and then if you dont have a girlfriend you are always asked why.
telling you that your handsome(anh dep gai)

Here are a few more for the ladies

Em ten gi? What is your name
Bao nhieu Toi? How old are you
Em rat dep
Em dep lam
Anh muon em

Happy Hunting.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #111
I am Hook'd on RS

If a girl is telling you that you are "dep gai" that might be a problem. That means pretty (when you say gai it refers to girls). If she says you are "dep trai" then you've got something to boast about... that means handsome (trai refers to guys).

Beware of really good looking girls there... You might want to look twice. Sometimes they are men. Really really pretty men =/
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #112
Banned By Establishment

wow so hue might have just ruined my trip.

first we got off the bus, and even before we got off the bus the stupid driver opens the cargo doors. Second off all there is actually 30 people outside of the bus pissiing me off (i already had a hotel reservation, the hotel was a 1 minute walk) and I have stupid fucking vietnamese idiots, trying to grab my luggage. And because i had to ward off so many of these idiots, I didn't notice when someone grabbed a bag that had 1 shirt that I had made for me in hoian and a jacket. My friend in hoi an wasn't joking to really watch your shit here. I'm glad im only spending 1 day here. And not only that the fucking dumb receptionist at my hotel is pissing me off. I ask to rent a motorbike, she says 10 dollars, I'm like ok that's a little overpriced but i still pay, then she fucking asks me 4 times when im goign to return it, and i tell her I have no fucking idea when im going to return it, I'm gone tomorrow and I usually rent these things for a day. So stop fucking asking me.

Fuck, I hate hue.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #113
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,688 Times in 2,320 Posts
Failed 997 Times in 240 Posts
^ that sucks to hear dude
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #114
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Failed 19 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplex View Post
^ Restaurant?
That sounds like the street food stands.
well it wasn't a stand in the street. they had tables inside their store(home?), and they would just expand and start placing tables on the sidewalks when they didnt have room inside their "restaurant."
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #115

thx miss604si ahah still practicing my vietnamese. quite a difficult language to learn. 6 different ways to say the same word with 6 different meanings is quite the challenge. Also a lot of things sound the same as well.

Quote:
first we got off the bus, and even before we got off the bus the stupid driver opens the cargo doors. Second off all there is actually 30 people outside of the bus pissiing me off (i already had a hotel reservation, the hotel was a 1 minute walk) and I have stupid fucking vietnamese idiots, trying to grab my luggage. And because i had to ward off so many of these idiots, I didn't notice when someone grabbed a bag that had 1 shirt that I had made for me in hoian and a jacket. My friend in hoi an wasn't joking to really watch your shit here. I'm glad im only spending 1 day here. And not only that the fucking dumb receptionist at my hotel is pissing me off. I ask to rent a motorbike, she says 10 dollars, I'm like ok that's a little overpriced but i still pay, then she fucking asks me 4 times when im goign to return it, and i tell her I have no fucking idea when im going to return it, I'm gone tomorrow and I usually rent these things for a day. So stop fucking asking me.
You have finally experienced the real vietnam haha. Try living with that kinda thing on a daily basis.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #116
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
also after spending 4 days in tokyo.

all girls there are hideous.

over here all hot

and even though vietnam airlines has a shitty plane, the food was fucking awesome, the girls were hot, and the liquore is free and the service is top notch
WAIT are the girlls HOT in vietnam? IM GOING THERE!
Jlumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #117
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlumen View Post
WAIT are the girlls HOT in vietnam? IM GOING THERE!
Hell ya their hot! So many cute girls looking to practice their English with me

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #118

SO, how was the trip?

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #119
God of Unce

Failed 285 Times in 103 Posts
Did you get to go to that very nice spa resort or whatever that was shown on Top Gear? =O
Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #120
Banned By Establishment

I'll make a post. Tom went too he has very nice pictures... he should make a thread.

and no that spa is 1k a night. I can't afford that. I did stay at some nice places though
Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 AM   #121
God of Unce

Failed 285 Times in 103 Posts
^Post pics of those nice places
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 AM   #122
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Failed 102 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
I'll make a post. Tom went too he has very nice pictures... he should make a thread.

and no that spa is 1k a night. I can't afford that. I did stay at some nice places though
make a thread in photolab !
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #123

I was only there for 3 days (well 1 solid day and two half days)

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Old 04-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #124

There was a football final against Tailand, and they won. Fuckin' best place to be that night!

The whole story

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #125
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
I'm interested in hearing on your take of the people in North Vietnam compared to South Vietnam
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote