REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
California to ban black cars?

Quote:
California ‘Cool’ Paints Initiative Ugly, Lazy

If California regulators get their way, auto makers may soon be forced to rewrite a cliché from the Ford Model T era and start telling customers they can have any color they want as long as it isn’t black.

Some darker hues will be available in place of black, but right now they are indentified internally at paint suppliers with names such as “mud-puddle brown” and are truly ugly substitutes for today’s rich ebony hues.

So buy a black car now, because soon they won’t be available or will look so putrid you won’t want one. And that’s too bad, because paint suppliers say black is the second- or third-most popular vehicle color around the world.

The problem stems from a new “cool paints” initiative from the California Air Resources Board. CARB wants to mandate the phase-in of heat-reflecting paints on vehicle exteriors beginning with the ’12 model year, with all colors meeting a 20% reflectivity requirement by the ’16 model year.

Because about 17 other states tend to follow California’s regulatory lead, as many as 40% of the vehicles sold in the U.S. could be impacted by the proposed directive, suppliers say.

The measure is aimed at reducing carbon-dioxide emissions and improving fuel economy by keeping vehicles cooler on sunny days and decreasing the amount of time drivers use their air conditioners.

The rationale goes like this: Vehicle AC units sap engine power and hurt fuel economy. If vehicle paint and glass reflect more heat, car interiors will be cooler. That means drivers will use their AC units less, the compressors won’t have to work as hard and auto makers will be able to use smaller AC units in the future.

Reflective coatings and glazing (glass) already have proven to save energy when used on buildings, and this legislation is based on architectural standards.

On the surface, it’s not a bad idea, but fundamental issues reveal profoundly flawed legislation: Buildings and vehicles are manufactured and recycled differently, and no one buys a building based on its color.

Another troublesome fact: Heat-reflecting paints for black and other dark colors on vehicles have not been invented yet.

Paint suppliers also say heat-reflecting pigments that could be used in automotive applications contain toxic heavy metals that cause environmental damage and create health and safety issues during manufacturing and recycling.

At least one auto maker estimates the additional cost of using these paints at $100 per car, not counting required changes to assembly plant painting systems, which could be significant.

So far, auto makers are holding their tongues on this subject, but automotive paint suppliers, such as PPG Industries, are tearing their hair out.

“PPG obviously has a very large architectural division that paints lots of buildings,” says Connie Poulsen, global director-product management, at PPG. “The theory when (CARB) started this was you take the pigments used in buildings and put them into car paints. That’s a good theory; unfortunately it doesn’t quite work that easily. Believe me, we tested it right away.”

“Requirements for color palettes are different, the process is different, the pigments used are different,” Poulsen says, adding that new automotive paint systems also have to undergo two years of rigorous testing before being approved for production. That’s yet another item government bureaucrats never considered – along with 3-year product lead times.

Some California rules are problematic because they are utopian and unworkable. This legislation is flat-out lazy. It’s a cut-and-paste job from the state building code that ignores smarter, more-effective automotive solutions already in production or on the way, such as more efficient AC units and solar-powered ventilation fans that work automatically when a car is parked in the sun.

Struggling auto makers and suppliers must not be forced to waste their limited resources on the cool paints initiative, an ill-informed wasteful boondoggle that embarrasses the environmental movement.

dwinter@wardsauto.com

http://wardsauto.com/commentary/cool...s_ugly_090324/
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
a day early
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
wtf
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
Thanks for that valuable insight!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 62 Times in 32 Posts
Heat-rejecting glass has already been invented. If they just made that one mandatory, they're already halfway there. Half your cabin is glass.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
It makes an unfortunate amount of sense, but it still sucks. Most cars look best when in black.

Maybe I missed it in the article, but I wonder if this law would apply if you get your car repainted at a shop...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Failed 439 Times in 89 Posts
Less freedom.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 47 Times in 13 Posts
I lived in the hottest part of California for over three years. “Cooler paint” isn’t going to do shit when it’s 115 Degrees outside. I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t jump into their car and have the air con BLASTING as soon as they do. It’s just that hot. Sorry, just wont make any difference.

I am all for doing everything we can to help the environment and to curb our carbon emissions, but once again the Cali CARB board has its head up its ass.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Failed 137 Times in 67 Posts
Why stop there? Why not force every car to be white then?
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Failed 439 Times in 89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Why stop there? Why not force every car to be white then?

What about black tar roofs?

Black shingles?

Where does it end?

This is just more government creeping on the people's freedoms.
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #11

Failed 9 Times in 5 Posts
Paint all the roads white too!!!

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Failed 730 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
This is just more government creeping on the people's freedoms.
But for a good cause. If it were up to me (exercise my "freedom") I would drive a Yukon with no cat, refuse to tune it up, and pour black smoke into my air, since it's my freedom. I can do whatever I want, right??

BNR32_Coupe says peace out, yo. i'll catch ya homies later
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
why not have a dome on california and make it out of the same stuff as the transition glasses =D
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
a day early
Umm...ya...
CDN-R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #15