REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #26
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
wow i didn't know ppl put HID on the reverse light. how would that work? seems like there would be no space to put the ballast
they have aftermarket kits that u can install.
http://www.dabears2k.com/product_inf...roducts_id=270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
People do. Its nuts the amount of light coming out in reverse. In fact, manufacturers should look into developing it further to make it safer.
yea people's gonna start putting it into their reverse lights, sooner or later everyones gonna have them on the cars like HID kits, and when people waitting for a parking, it'lll shine bright ass light right into ur eyes, ur gonna come here abd bitch abt people having HIDs in their reverse light just like how people bitch about HIDs in reflectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
Soldering by itself is okay, but I don't want to damage any plastic sheaths, or cut any wires. And you know that adding a resiston in series will ALWAYS result in something getting cut. Yeah I'm anal, but it's one of those things.
sighh, u sound like those traditional chinese families.... y dont u wrap ur whole car in plastic to keep it mint? just like how people wrap their tv remotes in plastic sheets.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 62 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
[url]sighh, u sound like those traditional chinese families.... y dont u wrap ur whole car in plastic to keep it mint? just like how people wrap their tv remotes in plastic sheets.
I have an aunt that does that. Not just her remotes, but all the FURNITURE in the common areas are wrapped too. When I visit I have to stay on the cardboard "trails" as well so that her flooring stays pristine. 15 years and counting.

Nope, the car isn't saran-wrapped, unless you count some Scotchgard every couple of years. I dont' even wax it every year anymore.

To buddy who suggested I disable the bulbs via dealership computer, actually I've never considered that, but let me post that on an MB forum. Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone have experience with 3497 or 796 bulbs? 3497 are readily available at Lordco, but nobody seems to know about the 796 ones.

Last edited by slammer111; 04-03-2009 at 04:09 AM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #28

^ i might be wrong, but euro cars run on a system called "vagcom" or something like that, and u need specialized computers to modify the system........ soooo.......
1. find someone that has access to those kinds of systems
Or
2. go to the dealer and HOPEFULLY they will do it for u and NOT CHARGE U AN ARM AND A LEG or a KIDNEY.

and in case u didnt catch it, i was being sarcastic about the plastic wrap since u seem to be so picky about every little thing...........
Quote:
Quote:
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #29

Quote:
and in case u didnt catch it, i was being sarcastic about the plastic wrap since u seem to be so picky about every little thing...........
Yeah I know bro, all good. I do laugh at my aunt for what she does though, so know where you're coming from.

Yeah, the dealers around here either a) charge $50 (ie 30 mins shop time) for ANY mods to the computer, or b) refuse to do it. But I do have a connection so it's all good. Time to do more research.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #30
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
^ i might be wrong, but euro cars run on a system called "vagcom" or something like that, and u need specialized computers to modify the system........ soooo.......
1. find someone that has access to those kinds of systems
Or
2. go to the dealer and HOPEFULLY they will do it for u and NOT CHARGE U AN ARM AND A LEG or a KIDNEY.

VAG-COM is only for Volkswagen's automotive family (VW, Audi, Skoda, etc). Mercedes uses something else.... Star-something, maybe? I've no idea.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
VAG-COM is only for Volkswagen's automotive family (VW, Audi, Skoda, etc). Mercedes uses something else.... Star-something, maybe? I've no idea.
You are correct, MB uses Star-diagnostic. Only the dealers and some indies have these.

Back on topic. Okay, I checked at Lordco. 3497 bulbs are available, but 796 are special order.

So nobody on RS has ever tried these bulbs!?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #32
easy e

Failed 9 Times in 6 Posts
Have you updated your prescription recently? Do you even know how to drive?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #33

lol good luck with it then. should've just stuck with LEDs and disabled the computer in the first place instead of going back and forth hahaha.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiko View Post
Have you updated your prescription recently? Do you even know how to drive?
Yes and maybe not apparently. Be afraid, be very afraid, expecially when I'm in reverse and it's dark and rainy.

Quote:
lol good luck with it then. should've just stuck with LEDs and disabled the computer in the first place instead of going back and forth hahaha.
Unfortunately many Euro cars are too smart for their own damn good. There's a good chance there simply isn't a setting available to disable it using the shop computer, or I'm sure somebody would've posted something on this online in another forum.

The problem with LEDs is that they "look" bright but have low total output. That's why you see them used for signals by car manufacturers, but not for illumination.

Last edited by slammer111; 04-06-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #35
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 21 Times in 7 Posts
I'd say put the HID kit in it anyways.

I don't think you will be in reverse longer than 20 secs to parellel park, or reverse park into your garage.

Even one minute in reverse is not gonna hurt or melt your taillight housing.

the disadvantage only goes to the poor driver behind you that gets blinded while you parallel haha.

Just do it. GL & post pics when your done
Drift_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #36

Found and ordered some 796 bulbs online. 35W vs. 21W stock. I'm surprised nobody on this forum has heard of this stuff.

Waiting for them in the mail. Stay tuned.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #37
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
http://www.dabears2k.com/product_inf...roducts_id=270
oh mine i hope ppl get this for the slightly improve visibility not to be cool for 30 sec a day.....

back to topic. I think the best solution if the OP have trouble backing up is to either install backup sensor or backup camera. that way its useful also in parking lots and when parallel parking not like the brighter bulbs which would only make considerable difference when u back up in pitch black.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
oh mine i hope ppl get this for the slightly improve visibility not to be cool for 30 sec a day.....

back to topic. I think the best solution if the OP have trouble backing up is to either install backup sensor or backup camera. that way its useful also in parking lots and when parallel parking not like the brighter bulbs which would only make considerable difference when u back up in pitch black.
I only have visibility problems when it's raining at night. During the day I'm totally fine. Most reverse lights out there simply suck at night.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #39
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
I only have visibility problems when it's raining at night. During the day I'm totally fine. Most reverse lights out there simply suck at night.
Watever work for you

I used to think reverse cam are for c lai only until i got a new car with it preinstall. I swear its like one of the best car related invention right after wheels and in car cigarette lighter
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #40
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
reverse cam ftw! i haven't hit anything since!
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote