REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #51
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Failed 1,848 Times in 413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ since we're already offtopic, what area do you work in?
These days, CCTV surveillance/security systems... but I've done stints in IT, construction, and car audio/alarms as well... and just generally tinkered with electronics most of my life.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:28 AM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,330 Times in 4,058 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
^ wicked stuff, electronics is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Link worked for me - good description there.

I wish I could find a good diagram of just how the PWM duty cycle affects brightness, but nothing's coming up right away, and it's late... but there's some good discussion on the topic here: http://www.physicsforums.com/archive//t-268283.html
I'll take a look in my notes, we just learned this a couple weeks ago, we've used it on stepper motors.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #53
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 182 Times in 61 Posts
Well I learned something today, thanks Soundy and Lomac

I'm actually an electrician... electronics is all new stuff to me, I usually just toss the broken card and slide in a new one and leave the fixing to guys like you The series/parallel slip was because I was so worked up about not knowing what we were talking about... sigh...
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #54

Quote:
^ wicked stuff, electronics is awesome.

I'll take a look in my notes, we just learned this a couple weeks ago, we've used it on stepper motors.
Yeah, I was hoping howstuffworks.com would have one of those spiffy little animations of theirs showing it, but they don't

BTW, another great site for almost all this stuff (12V electronics, car audio and whatnot), with lots of really cool animated, interactive diagrams, is http://www.bcae1.com (Basic Car Audio Electronics)... they seem to have just about everything BUT a duty-cycle dimmer circuit
Quote:
Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Failed 555 Times in 222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
You can't see a car coming without the DRL's on? You're the one who needs glasses.

I've been driving since before there were DRL's... we didn't need lights on to tell if a car was moving or not. Yes, it makes it easier... but that's not the issue.
That is exactly the issue.

If it makes the car easier to see == safer.

You can claim all the stats, you only look like the ignorant speeders that use every stat available to justify driving ridiculously fast. They claim the same, that's there's few stats proving speed was not the "cause" of the accident, that speed is only a contributing factor to the extent of the damage.

What they forget is that less damage == more people alive, cause they are only looking at it from one angle.

With DRLs more people can see a car further away. That's safer no matter what angle you try to take. End discussion.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
With DRLs more people can see a car further away. That's safer no matter what angle you try to take. End discussion.
QFET.
Quote:
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #57
Banned By Establishment

Failed 450 Times in 132 Posts
Quote:
And that's not a lot of on/off??
I'd rather replace two lights (my lows) rather than four lights (highs + lows)
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Ok, so what if they're not looking? DRL's don't mean shit if you don't pay attention or are distracted by other things, ie cell phone, passengers, dog, kid, food, etc.

Go read some of the NHTSA reports on the subject.. then report back once you have some real stats for both sides of the argument.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Ok, so what if they're not looking? DRL's don't mean shit if you don't pay attention or are distracted by other things, ie cell phone, passengers, dog, kid, food, etc.

Go read some of the NHTSA reports on the subject.. then report back once you have some real stats for both sides of the argument.
What kind of "stats" do you require to prove that a car with lights on is easier to see than a car without lights?

An emergency vehicle with flashing lights and sirens won't be noticed by a drive who's "distracted by other things, ie cell phone, passengers, dog, kid, food, etc." either, so why bother with the lights and siren, right? Or maybe instead of just DRLs, ALL cars should have flashing lights and sirens.
Quote:

Last edited by Soundy; 04-12-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #60

Quote:

If you're not looking in the direction of the car, then no you won't see it even if it was shooting rainbows out of it. But DRL's draw more attention to the vehicle, so when people aren't fully paying attention, the DRL's will catch their eye.

See as you seem to keep claiming all these stats exist, why don't you find some and post them up?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 04-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #61

Quote:
See as you seem to keep claiming all these stats exist, why don't you find some and post them up?
Ok, that's a great idea. Since you're too lazy to Google...

Here's a report on "The Effectiveness of Daytime Running Lights for Passenger Vehicles" from the NHTSA: http://members.shaw.ca/johnz24/rs/NH...-0153-0004.pdf Keeping in mind this is from the USA.. who doesn't mandate DRL's, at least not yet. The big theme in this one is "all the results were not statistically significant". Which for those of you who don't understand statistics means, that DRL's don't make enough of a difference to mean squat!

Ok, here's another one... from Austria: http://www.kfv.at/index.php?id=720&contUid=1966 where they estimate that DRL's save 30 human lives annually. That's out of 21,007,310 people (from a July 2008 estimate). Oooh... that's less than 0.000001%, big deal. Not to say that any human life saved isn't a good thing, but it's far from anything spectacular.

I guess the only thing that these statistics can't show.. and this is where all you bleeding-heart DRL-humpers can live in your ignorant bliss.. if the accident doesn't occur (because of the DRL's), you can't count it... so how do you account for all those near-misses (which is actually near-hits, if you think about it) that never occurred?

As for me... I don't need lights on to see if a car is coming or not. And yes, I do wear glasses. All three accidents I've been involved in, none of which were my fault, would not have changed with or without DRL's.. but that said... I do drive around all day with my marker lights on (not my DRL's though, which I've disabled). So don't think I don't believe in them... I just don't think they're some amazing invention that prevents millions of accidents from occurring. It's just some lights for the stupid, mmmkay?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #62
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
I run my fogs or parking lights in lieu of a DRL. I don't bomb around in stealth mode anymore. It's just too risky to have some blind moron get in your path by accident.

You mention the estimated lives saved by DRLs are negligable, but if one of those 30 were someone you cared about, you'd think differently.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #63
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Ah the end is near. Justifying one negative with another is never a good idea.

The argument of a smoker: "but cars pollute, I should be able to smoke too".
Old 04-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #64
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Ok, here's another one... from Austria: http://www.kfv.at/index.php?id=720&contUid=1966 where they estimate that DRL's save 30 human lives annually. That's out of 21,007,310 people (from a July 2008 estimate). Oooh... that's less than 0.000001%, big deal. Not to say that any human life saved isn't a good thing, but it's far from anything spectacular.
Thank you, at least I understand your ill-conceived logic: If something isn't spectacular, it isn't worth doing.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #65

Umm...?

Quote:
Not to say that any human life saved isn't a good thing
Honestly, I think you'd be able to save more lives by banning cell phones...
Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #66

Quote:
As for me... I don't need lights on to see if a car is coming or not. And yes, I do wear glasses.
Hmm, well, I don't wear glasses, I've always had better-than-20/20 vision, and grew up learning to drive on BC's interior highways well before DRLs became mandatory, and I can tell you unequivocally, oncoming cars with their lights on are MUCH easier to see, MUCH farther in advance, than cars without lights. Didn't require any studies for me to figure that out. Even back then, the driver-training manual from ICBC stresses that headlights SHOULD be turned on for better visibility, even if it wasn't REQUIRED... and motorcyclists have known for decades that they're far better off with lights on than without.

Quote:
All three accidents I've been involved in, none of which were my fault, would not have changed with or without DRL's..
None of mine would have changed either... but then, they were all rear or side impacts. That doesn't prove anything.

Quote:
but that said... I do drive around all day with my marker lights on
And WHY do you do that, if having lights on doesn't make a whit of difference? Oh yeah... it makes you MORE VISIBLE TO OTHER DRIVERS.

Quote:
(not my DRL's though, which I've disabled).
Got news for you: all you've done is switched your DRL functionality from your headlights to your marker lights. Same purpose, different bulbs. It's not original: Dodge Caravans, among others, for several years had their marker lights wired for DRLs, rather than headlights.

Quote:
So don't think I don't believe in them... I just don't think they're some amazing invention that prevents millions of accidents from occurring.
Then why do you run with your marker lights on?

Quote:
It's just some lights for the stupid, mmmkay?
QED.
Quote:
Old 04-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #67
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Honestly, I think you'd be able to save more lives by banning cell phones...
Definitely, yet that's unrelated to DRLs.

Nice duck and dodge, yet only highlights you've run out of viable defenses.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #68

Hey, I don't need to defend my position any more than I already have - the proof is already out there. DRL's don't make much of a difference. You go ahead and believe they do, I don't give a shit. I'm not going to change your opinion, and you're not going to change mine.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #69

Quote:
Then why do you run with your marker lights on?
Because I drive thru tunnels a lot?

DRL's could be improved if they were front AND rear.. then idiots who forget their lights entirely would be visible..
Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #70
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Hey, I don't need to defend my position any more than I already have - the proof is already out there. DRL's don't make much of a difference. You go ahead and believe they do, I don't give a shit. I'm not going to change your opinion, and you're not going to change mine.
You've spent a hell of a lot of time arguing, even admitting that they make the vehicle more visible, to give up now.

Quitter.

We don't need to change your opinion, you agreed with us a long time ago:
Quote:
Yes, it makes it easier
Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #71
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 530 Times in 136 Posts
how did euro plates become fight club material?
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #72
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Failed 64 Times in 27 Posts
I often wonder how one comes up with stats that show something didn't happen? How can anybody say that having your lights on did not make a difference in crash stats? Nobody takes any stats of the times cars don't pull out in front of you or turn in front of you because they saw your car with the DRL's on. The reason NHTSA mandated motorcycle headlight DRL function is because cars drivers didn't see the bikes. As a bike rider with a headlight modulator I can say that it works 100% of the times I activated it. Cars & trucks slam on their brakes and stay where they are. They see the bike for the first time. Take a second and look at a line of vehicles...I bet if there are any there without DRLs, they are much harder to see. It just makes common sense.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #73

jlenko is a h8r, he doesn't need common sense.
Quote:
Old 04-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #74
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
Anyone know what country this plate is from?
Saw this car last summer on Burrard.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #75

jlenko, since you're apparently too lazy to read your own links...

courtesy of page 14 of the NHTSA report

"A Majority of the European studies consistently found that a DRL law was associated with a reduction in crashes. The results varied from 4 to 27% depending on crash type, crash severity, season, roadway conditions, and light conditions."

pages 15 and 16 have more specific info, including:

"Sparks' 1993 study, which examined Canadian Government fleet data found that DRLs reduced twilight, two vehicle crashes by 15%. The effect was statically significant. Two reports by Transport Canada also showed positive DRL results."

woah! who woulda thought THEY ACTUALLY WORK. about time you got your glasses updated.

In Austria they may only save 30 lives a year, but how many collisions are non-fatal vs fatal? those 30 lives represent a lot more non-fatal crashes that were avoided, keeping roads flowing more smoothly and insurance rates down. those are also 30 more people that get to continue to live their lives and see their families and friends. surely paying a couple bucks for some bulbs is worth that.

Also consider if they removed the rest of the safety devices from vehicles. You know, useless stuff like crumple zones, seatbelts, airbags, that kinda junk. on their own each one might not make startling jumps in lives saved but added up, thats a lot of people still alive.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: