REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #26
R8
Buy/Sell rules violation; Zero Tolerance

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks photoshopped =/... do they really have that much time?
Advertisement
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 413 Times in 103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetched View Post
R8 looks better than any production BMW.
R8 looks like a hyped up TT
jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_alexander View Post
R8 looks like a hyped up TT
...............................................?.. ......................................
Kang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #29
R8
Buy/Sell rules violation; Zero Tolerance

I am not a hyped up TT, stop talking about me.
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 164 Times in 42 Posts
Audi's comeback is 10+ straight years of sales increases taking them from a has-been third place manufacturer selling less than half the cars that BMW and Mercedes sell to a position where they will soon be passing BMW and Mercedes for total sales.

The numbers speak for themselves, who cares what billboards say?
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
WAR? HAHAHAHA, whatever you like to think, kids.
Talking about free advertising. I have seen the first pictures on many forums. These
marketing guys behind this are fucking smart. Not only people from So Cal see this, but
everybody on the internet is discussing about this. Mercedes must feel being left out.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #32
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 205 Times in 120 Posts
according to me, the R8 is one of the absolute best looking cars on the road today for under $200k. only very slightly behind the AM Vantage
Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #33
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
Audi's comeback is 10+ straight years of sales increases taking them from a has-been third place manufacturer selling less than half the cars that BMW and Mercedes sell to a position where they will soon be passing BMW and Mercedes for total sales.

Very true.

Design wise...how long can Audi keep the A4 design going? Modest changes over the years will not appeal to new customers.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:10 AM   #34
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

R8 is the best looking, and definitely the best driving exotic under 200k
old240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #35
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Failed 53 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
according to me, the R8 is one of the absolute best looking cars on the road today for under $200k. only very slightly behind the AM Vantage
i agree, but the Vantage definitely isn't as eye-popping-attention-grabbing as the R8.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 88 Posts
Quote:

Ahhhh....I guess you are too young to remember when Audi pulled out of the NA market in the 80s...sudden acceleration lawsuits ring a bell?

btw, get your stats right, Audi has ten straight yrs of growth because they had no sales before they launched the 96 redesigned A4. BMW has also 10yrs of straight growth from a much more established base. It is much easier to get 10% growth when you are selling 10 cars a year Vs 10% growth when you are selling 10,000 cars per yr.

Audi's are basically reworked VWs with nicer interiors, design, etc, however they are VWs underneath. BMW does not have to make compromises because they are privately owned and do not have to share platforms with other brands.

Buy Audi's for their brillant exterior and interior design, but not their driving dynamics

Buy BMW for their driving dynamics, not interior design
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 112 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:

S4 < M3
TTS > SLK 55
S5 > CLK 63
S8 < S63
A3 > B Class
etc
You need to drive an Audi to appreciate the car.

correction here...

CLK63 BS > Audio R8 and the S5
CL65/S65 > S8

you missed some of the cars...

Quote:
You need to drive an Audi to appreciate the car.
Then you haven't sat in a MB or BMW. I own a few newer generation BMWs and Benz's and I can honestly say Audi cannot compete with interior design/comfort.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."

Last edited by Supafly; 04-20-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #38
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 85 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
correction here...

CL65/S65 > S8

Then you haven't sat in a MB or BMW. I own a few newer generation BMWs and Benz's and I can honestly say Audi cannot compete with interior design/comfort.
LOL.
Price=Price much?
CLK63BS > S5? Of course? Most CLK63BS cost a lot more than R8? like 60g more? Not available in Canada? Yes?
Okay, first off, the comparison thing. If you didn't realize, i said the S63 was better than S8, so of course S65 is better. CL65 is a coupe,why would you put them in the same category as the S Class/ A8s. Audi doesn't have a director competitor for that kind of Luxury Coupe besides R8 which is more geared as a Sport Coupe.

I have owned a few generations of BMW and Audis as well, and sat in countless mercedes, and don't know what the fuck is wrong with you when you say audi cannot compete with the interior/comfort. If you don't believe me, go read every single magazine, performance wise, okay Audi still needs some work on that category. But when you talk about interior? Every single magazine that has done a heads up against any competitor will tell you how great/luxury the Audi compartment is. When i was in the E90post community, a lot of people hated their shitty interiors, coming from BMW Ethusiasts. That never happens on Audizine. YEE?
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #39
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 85 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
Ahhhh....I guess you are too young to remember when Audi pulled out of the NA market in the 80s...sudden acceleration lawsuits ring a bell?

btw, get your stats right, Audi has ten straight yrs of growth because they had no sales before they launched the 96 redesigned A4. BMW has also 10yrs of straight growth from a much more established base. It is much easier to get 10% growth when you are selling 10 cars a year Vs 10% growth when you are selling 10,000 cars per yr.

Audi's are basically reworked VWs with nicer interiors, design, etc, however they are VWs underneath. BMW does not have to make compromises because they are privately owned and do not have to share platforms with other brands.

Buy Audi's for their brillant exterior and interior design, but not their driving dynamics

Since you are talking about the NA Market, lez talkz.
Audi never really shared the same platform as the C Class/3 Series. One reason was because they never advertised in the NA market until a year ago. People like you perceive how Audi = VW, will believe that Mercedes = Chrysler, So wrong. So Porsche = Audi then?
Only recently did Audi become a mainstream brand with more recognition. Audi does not share any platform with VW, every new technology that comes out are put into Audi first, like the new 2.0 TFSI, Drive Select, LED,etc. Even VW's 4motion is different from most of Audi's Quattro. Haldex vs. Quattro.
BMW is a prestige brand non the less, but always regarded the same in Europe as with Mercedes through volume of sales. The NA market needs another 10 years before they can become familiar with the Audi brand.
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #40
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 206 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:

Why are you discrediting Audi's number? You should get your stats right... Worldwide sales...Audi is on pace to take top spot from BMW in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
correction here...

CL65/S65 > S8

Why the need to compare these cars? They're all basically equal on paper in every category...it's personal preference to brand and design. People who buy these cars dunno much about the specs anyways.

Coming from a guy who thinks Audi is a wannabe of the MB and Mercedez...I can honestly say they got the best interior out of the 3.

Design - Mercedez
Driving - BMW
Interior - Audi
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #41

Quote:

I remember the Audi 5000 quite well.

And you're the one with the screwed up facts. Audi never pulled out of the NA market. I'd love to know where you got that stupid idea from. Probably the same place your other "facts" came from.

NA only accounts for a small percentage of total Audi worldwide sales. Audi never suffered problems related to the sudden accelation issue in Europe, where people over there know how to drive a car with closely placed pedals designed for heel/toe.

Audis are not reworked VW's. VW's are stripped down Audis. There's a clear difference, which you apparently can't understand. The reason VW has such excellent interiors is the work Audi spent on their cars, which has "trickled down" to VW.

Audi will pass Mercedes this year for total worldwide sales. BMW is expected to be taken over a couple years later. Please tell me how you can say Audi "had no sales" when they are on the verge of taking over the #1 sales spot from BMW in the luxury car market?

I bet someone like you, who is an obvious BMW fan, hates the fact BMW will soon be #2 to Audi's #1.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #42
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
lol just look at his username XD!!!

whats wrong with being a VW underneath, VW sells gazillions of cars every year based on excellent reputation, I don't see why he's complaining that audis are vws underneath...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #43
RabidMod

Thanked 1,387 Times in 506 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Audis are not reworked VW's. VW's are stripped down Audis. There's a clear difference, which you apparently can't understand. The reason VW has such excellent interiors is the work Audi spent on their cars, which has "trickled down" to VW.
What about the fact that the Audi TT, TTS, and TT RS, a high performance vehicle (or at least one that is marketed as such), has a transverse engine layout and is forced to use a cheapie Haldex front-biased on-demand AWD instead of proper Quattro as an unfortunate result? Is it a coincidence that it's built on the Mk5 Golf platform?

edit: no offense intended, I'm just honestly curious to hear your perspective on this.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #44
Revscene Legend

Thanked 3,421 Times in 393 Posts
Failed 526 Times in 123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
What about the fact that the Audi TT, TTS, and TT RS, a high performance vehicle (or at least one that is marketed as such), has a transverse engine layout and is forced to use a cheapie Haldex front-biased on-demand AWD instead of proper Quattro as an unfortunate result? Is it a coincidence that it's built on the Mk5 Golf platform?

edit: no offense intended, I'm just honestly curious to hear your perspective on this.
it's true that TT is based on haldex, but you forgot to mention that TT's aluminum body which most car manufactures don't dare to touch because of the high cost, the magnetic ride suspension which transforms the car's handling and ride quality in matter of milliseconds, and one of the first dual clutch transmissions in a car less than 50k. Of course these technologies are no longer special but the TT was one of the few car's that had it 2 years ago. Haldex is not a cheap AWD in anyway as BMW's xdrive almost acts the same way. Haldex is a 85/15 lay out but it can put 100% to front and rear as needed.
It's probably the same chasis because of the cost saving, you have to know that TT's sale volume is one of the lowest in the Audi brand. O wells
dogeatcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post

Sure they share parts - all manufacturers do. But they're not the same cars.

As already mentioned, the TT uses a significant amount of aluminum in the chassis (69% of the space frame is aluminum). The MK V has no aluminum whatsoever. That's not taking a car and adding a few bits to make a new car - that's ground-up engineering.

Speaking of aluminum, when the A4 came out the Passat hadn't yet been based off the A4 platform. When the new Passat followed using the same chassis as the A4, a lot of the parts that were aluminum in the A4 (like suspension) were changed to steel in the Passat. The Passat was a downgraded A4 - the A4 wasn't an upgraded Passat as Z3guy is suggesting.

The 1.8T engine (a great engine that's won numerous engine of the year awards) first appeared in Audi vehicles, and showed up in VW's later on. Again, it's technology trickling down from Audi to VW.

If you want to see a car that's just a re-badged and slightly improved version of a cheaper car, then look at a Lexus ES/Camry. On the hoist you can't tell these two cars apart. Unlike the Passat/A4 example, there's no difference in the vehicles underlying chassis. No expensive aluminum parts on the Lexus or anything.

Still waiting for Z3guys expert opinion on the construction of VW's and Audis.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Since you are talking about the NA Market, lez talkz.
Audi never really shared the same platform as the C Class/3 Series. One reason was because they never advertised in the NA market until a year ago. People like you perceive how Audi = VW, will believe that Mercedes = Chrysler, So wrong. So Porsche = Audi then?
Only recently did Audi become a mainstream brand with more recognition. Audi does not share any platform with VW, every new technology that comes out are put into Audi first, like the new 2.0 TFSI, Drive Select, LED,etc. Even VW's 4motion is different from most of Audi's Quattro. Haldex vs. Quattro.
BMW is a prestige brand non the less, but always regarded the same in Europe as with Mercedes through volume of sales. The NA market needs another 10 years before they can become familiar with the Audi brand.
So the A3 is not a stretched Golf chassis? the 1.8L & 2.0L turbos are only used on Audis right? wasn't the DSG tranny launched on the GTI? Although Porsche is the majority owner of VW/Audi, they share no parts. C'mon man, any smart profit focus parent company will be sharing components, drivetrains, and platforms between VW/Audi. Have you seen the latest VW diesel 2 door convertible sports car? Looks a diesel powered Boxter to me. Hmmmm, seems like both cars you can't access the engine compartment?....must be a fluke.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 04-21-2009, 06:23 AM   #47

Quote:
I remember the Audi 5000 quite well.

And you're the one with the screwed up facts. Audi never pulled out of the NA market. I'd love to know where you got that stupid idea from. Probably the same place your other "facts" came from.

NA only accounts for a small percentage of total Audi worldwide sales. Audi never suffered problems related to the sudden accelation issue in Europe, where people over there know how to drive a car with closely placed pedals designed for heel/toe.

Audi will pass Mercedes this year for total worldwide sales. BMW is expected to be taken over a couple years later. Please tell me how you can say Audi "had no sales" when they are on the verge of taking over the #1 sales spot from BMW in the luxury car market?

I bet someone like you, who is an obvious BMW fan, hates the fact BMW will soon be #2 to Audi's #1.
Buddy, how many Audi's did they sell per yr in the 80s? they were selling less than 1000 cars per yr. I guess having 0.1% marketshare is not pulling out.

Sure VWs are stripped downed Audis....however the engine mounting pts, interiors, the guts are the same.......I love how all you Audi guys say VWs uses trickled down Audi technology.....I guess the 1.8L & 2.0 Turbos...tricked down to VW right?

Do you live in Europe? last time I checked we are talking about NA.

The only reason Audi is passing Mercedes is because Mercs sales are down drastically. However you don't take volume to the bank, you take profits.....who cares Audi sells allot of cheap A3s and A4s. How many A6s and A8 do they sell?

I love when when Audi fanboys say...."well Audi will pass BMW sales in a few yrs"....bottomline, enjoy driving your understeering dressed up VW. Also have fun when you sell your car for 30% of the value in 3 yrs.

I wonder why VW/Audi share dealerships for sales/service? HmMMMMMM

Keep telling yourself Audi is a great car and I made the right decision
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #48
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Failed 112 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
LOL.

If you don't believe me, go read every single magazine, performance wise, okay Audi still needs some work on that category. But when you talk about interior? Every single magazine that has done a heads up against any competitor will tell you how great/luxury the Audi compartment is.
i agree with you on the first bit, i didn't see you >><< ...got confused....but..

haha rattle your cage much?....you my friend need to take a load off..

When did you last sit in a bmw/benz?...10yrs ago?..when your dad owned them?

Read magazines?...guy, give me a break, i own them; i don't read magazine hype about cars...again, I OWN them...
Audi interior is pretty darn cheap compared to upper level BMW/Mercedes (7 series,S-class, CL-class)...if you don't believe me, I'll offer you to come to my house and sit in my cars, then go to an audi dealership and sit in their cars...

you make me laugh.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #49
Unauthourized Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
I don't think so. There's more BMW's in every European country compared to any other luxury car. I'm basing this on what I've seen when I back-packed Europe.
There are more civics here than Audi's, what's your point?
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #50
RabidMod

Thanked 1,387 Times in 506 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat
Sure they share parts - all manufacturers do. But they're not the same cars.

As already mentioned, the TT uses a significant amount of aluminum in the chassis (69% of the space frame is aluminum). The MK V has no aluminum whatsoever. That's not taking a car and adding a few bits to make a new car - that's ground-up engineering.

Speaking of aluminum, when the A4 came out the Passat hadn't yet been based off the A4 platform. When the new Passat followed using the same chassis as the A4, a lot of the parts that were aluminum in the A4 (like suspension) were changed to steel in the Passat. The Passat was a downgraded A4 - the A4 wasn't an upgraded Passat as Z3guy is suggesting.

The 1.8T engine (a great engine that's won numerous engine of the year awards) first appeared in Audi vehicles, and showed up in VW's later on. Again, it's technology trickling down from Audi to VW.

If you want to see a car that's just a re-badged and slightly improved version of a cheaper car, then look at a Lexus ES/Camry. On the hoist you can't tell these two cars apart. Unlike the Passat/A4 example, there's no difference in the vehicles underlying chassis. No expensive aluminum parts on the Lexus or anything.
The above is all true and I agree, but it doesn't quite address my original point: When the platform the TT is on had to be shared with an economy/practical-oriented Golf, there had to be some fundamental decisions made with the platform's design in order to make the Golf still economical and practical right? And one of these sacrifices was having to settle with a transverse engine layout, which meant having to settle with the inferior Haldex. Or at the very least, not Audi's first choice, because you don't see the Haldex system in the S4, do you?

It's a similar story with the A3 isn't it? Same Golf platform, same drawbacks, same "Quattro"? Imo the A3 is acceptable as an entry level Audi, but the case of the TT, especially when the TTS and the TT RS are built on it, seems disappointing.

So while it might not be quite fair to say that these Audis are upgraded VW's, this case just begs the question of whether in general, you're always going to be settling on a compromise that VW and Audi decide on. It seems doubtful that you'd get this kind of thing with BMW, where they don't have to think about making their platforms compatible with economy counterparts.