REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 59 Times in 18 Posts
I wanted to buy a 2007 CSX Type-S (this was Feb 2008, it was the previous model year). We got all the numbers settled - pretty much $6k off MSRP, no PDI, and all taxes/fees in, and a bonus 160,000km extended warranty included. I said - wow, smokin deal! Then they dropped the bomb - 7.9% financing because they were going to declare on the paperwork that it is a "used" car even though it had 20kms on the odometer. That's how they can get me so much money off the MSRP and give me 160000km extended warranty, but they had to use the Used Car financing rate. The 08s had 0.9% for 60 months. So basically, I walked!
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #27
How I Mod your mother

Failed 18 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc0lishuz View Post
I wanted to buy a 2007 CSX Type-S (this was Feb 2008, it was the previous model year). We got all the numbers settled - pretty much $6k off MSRP, no PDI, and all taxes/fees in, and a bonus 160,000km extended warranty included. I said - wow, smokin deal! Then they dropped the bomb - 7.9% financing because they were going to declare on the paperwork that it is a "used" car even though it had 20kms on the odometer. That's how they can get me so much money off the MSRP and give me 160000km extended warranty, but they had to use the Used Car financing rate. The 08s had 0.9% for 60 months. So basically, I walked!
Hm, interesting.. I wonder if thats what Richmond Honda was doing with the 08 Si's
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #28

Possible. But as mentioned above, dealers get tons of $$$ from manufacturers for clearing old stock too. You should really haggle for a good deal... dealerships are dying these days, thanks to the economy.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #29
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc0lishuz View Post
Possible. But as mentioned above, dealers get tons of $$$ from manufacturers for clearing old stock too. You should really haggle for a good deal... dealerships are dying these days, thanks to the economy.
Yeah, I'll definitely be a pain in the ass and bargain for a good price
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 189 Times in 70 Posts
Are you going to check out the one at Westwood Honda!
CivicTypeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #31
private modder

Thanked 2,784 Times in 782 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
The simple answer is the reason the 08 is at a higher rate is because Honda Canada is offering a special promotional rate, which is applicable to 09s only, if you choose to finance with Honda. It has nothing to do with the dealer. The dealer can only give you whatever financing it can get from its bank.

Sure, the dealer would rather have you buy the leftover 08s so it can get them off its lot, but when Honda comes along and puts a special finance rate or other promotion on the 09s, there's nothing the dealer can do about it.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #32

Failed 9 Times in 5 Posts
Don't listen to what anyone says, go test drive one for yourself and build your own opinion.

These cars will RIP if you know how to drive... and aren't afraid to squeeze your engine and play near redline. Cornering & braking capability is unreal for this platform. Acceleration is ferocious for such a 'tiny' motor. It doesn't even feel like the same 2 liter motor once you pass 5800rpm...and the sound it makes...

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #33
straight from the fields of squamton

Failed 305 Times in 63 Posts
my room mate just found this out, and still ended up getting the 08 for cheaper.

super low interest on the 09, but he got a waaaay cheaper price on the car and after all was said and done, the 08 was a better deal.

only downside is driving a brand new car that's 2 MYs old
Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #34
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
my room mate just found this out, and still ended up getting the 08 for cheaper.

super low interest on the 09, but he got a waaaay cheaper price on the car and after all was said and done, the 08 was a better deal.

Care to share the details?
Quote:
Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Care to share the details?
bargain hard & have your own cash in hand - people who get excited about 0.9% financing are getting hooped, as they're usually paying a higher principal (i.e. less bargain room) - so its not always as good as it sounds - what are you financing options? whats your cost to borrow outside of the dealer? if you have other options look into them

i don't want to scare you off buying the Si with my prior post - i do love driving the car hard, going from american muscle to this was a pleasant surprise - however, i just wasn't expecting many of the nuances that i have - ESPECIALLY teh gearbox - which, to this day, i still think is a POS (shift linkage that will bend when put under heavy shifting pressure, not engaging 2nd gear, causing grinding isn't a driver problem, its an engineering problem)

just go to many dealerships, take your steel balls with you, bargain hard - worst taht happens, you walk away and go to another dealership that much more knowledgeable about what you can, and more importantly, cannot get
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #36
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 3 Times in 1 Post
^

i have a 08 Si and i am not experiencing the gearbox issues that you mentioned of...No third gear issues either. I did grind 2nd gear a few times but i think it was an error on my part. This car is really a blast to drive when revved up.

Last edited by albert116; 05-12-2009 at 09:24 PM.
albert116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
And also there's a facelift done on the 09 MY across all Civics.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 349 Times in 74 Posts
fuck the civic man, get a cobalt turbo.. im jealous of those cars
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #39
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5-S View Post
fuck the civic man, get a cobalt turbo.. im jealous of those cars
I thought about those as well, but I dont want an overly cheap plastic interior..
I guess I'll have to check one out on the weekend, they did get good reviews

Another thing that concerns me is reliability, which I know honda is notorious for
Who knows where the cobalt will be 5 years down the road
Quote:
Old 05-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 1,639 Times in 418 Posts
didn't you just buy a new car last year?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #41
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
bargain hard & have your own cash in hand - people who get excited about 0.9% financing are getting hooped, as they're usually paying a higher principal (i.e. less bargain room) - so its not always as good as it sounds - what are you financing options? whats your cost to borrow outside of the dealer? if you have other options look into them

i don't want to scare you off buying the Si with my prior post - i do love driving the car hard, going from american muscle to this was a pleasant surprise - however, i just wasn't expecting many of the nuances that i have - ESPECIALLY teh gearbox - which, to this day, i still think is a POS (shift linkage that will bend when put under heavy shifting pressure, not engaging 2nd gear, causing grinding isn't a driver problem, its an engineering problem)

just go to many dealerships, take your steel balls with you, bargain hard - worst taht happens, you walk away and go to another dealership that much more knowledgeable about what you can, and more importantly, cannot get
i don't know what you have been reading because there has been a bulletin out for the 06-07MY Si's for the 3rd gear problem for the longest time now. my '08 didn't fall into the VIN ranges but my tranny is fine.

co-worker just finished rebuilding his whole tranny under warranty and got paid to do it himself because he was doing it under warranty.

and fyi, not ALL k20's are the same.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #42
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTse View Post
i don't know what you have been reading because there has been a bulletin out for the 06-07MY Si's for the 3rd gear problem for the longest time now. my '08 didn't fall into the VIN ranges but my tranny is fine.

co-worker just finished rebuilding his whole tranny under warranty and got paid to do it himself because he was doing it under warranty.

and fyi, not ALL k20's are the same.
retard, stop talking

all K20's are not the same, they have variants, i know this, but the core engine is still the same - the b16, for example, can only go so far... then they replaced it

i know about hte 3rd gear recall, my car was not in the VIN range either, but its not perfect, but then again,t he 2nd gear issue is a bigger issue to me

stop trying to show off your limited knowledge of things civic just because you go around washing cars in your job - go drink and drive some more and post how awesome you are on 8th gen

FYI - this kid drinks & drives drunk, with his N, in the car his parents paid for or pay for and then goes and tells all on 8thgencivic... so my rant isn't without prior reason
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #43
How I Mod your mother

Take the beef elsewhere please, I dont want this thread turned to shit
Quote:
Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 189 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:

stop trying to show off your limited knowledge of things civic just because you go around washing cars in your job - go drink and drive some more and post how awesome you are on 8th gen

FYI - this kid drinks & drives drunk, with his N, in the car his parents paid for or pay for and then goes and tells all on 8thgencivic... so my rant isn't without prior reason
lol PWND
CivicTypeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #45
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert116 View Post
^

i have a 08 Si and i am not experiencing the gearbox issues that you mentioned of...No third gear issues either. I did grind 2nd gear a few times but i think it was an error on my part. This car is really a blast to drive when revved up.
the third gear thing was for the first year or so Si's... bad syncro for third gear.. or was it snap ring? seen a couple come in at work to get those done, as they do pop out.

09's dont have the problems. late model 08's dont either.

and that peaky motor... my god. its good fun though. =)

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #46

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
retard, stop talking

all K20's are not the same, they have variants, i know this, but the core engine is still the same - the b16, for example, can only go so far... then they replaced it

i know about hte 3rd gear recall, my car was not in the VIN range either, but its not perfect, but then again,t he 2nd gear issue is a bigger issue to me

please read my post. i said NOT ALL k20's are the same. and no i don't wash cars. go cry about it, please.

and fyi, who ever said i drank and drove in the civic? if you're going to try and flame me, try to post the right information. just go cry about it.

people don't want your garbage in this thread that is actually asking a real question.

Last edited by GordonTse; 05-14-2009 at 10:00 PM.
GordonTse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #47

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Also which car(s) can be had for <$30k?
I think si is a great car. I got my brand new 2008 RX-8 fully loaded (GT with moon roof) under $30k + taxes.

I believe Honda's low interest rate is for cash price. if you finance it, u pay msrp. That's why it's called "cash rebate".

At lease that's what the sales in Acura/Honda told me last time I checked. but they may have changed after the recession gets worse i guess.
ecsw is offline   Reply With Quote