REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #51
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
haha it's welcome to revscene. Forum members make it their daily goal tor troll and put down as many thread OP's as possible to make them feel better from their lacking abilities in real life.

anyhow, it shouldnt be too hard to diy as the laser system doesnt tap into the car's. Just have to find a hot power source to splice into and mount the thing devices and run the wires through. same goes for the rear camera. Unless you want to piggy back it int the built in monitor... then i suggest u do some major research.

although it's a doable and pretty simple project, my advice is, as with all Diy's, expect to mess up and have to dish out money to get it fixed by a shop. There is always a risk when you attempt a diy for the first time going in blind, so if you dont want to take that risk, take it to someone that's done it before or find a reputable shop that will backup their work if THEY fuk up.

hehe, yes, I guess it must be a part of the newbie experience here. At first I felt cornered by all the attacks, but now I'm starting to get it. Would ignoring simply do? Or do they need an in-your-face attitude?

The camera comes with what I've heard to be well-descriptive instructions on how it needs to be done. I guess when I see the instructions I'll be able to judge how risky it will be. You're definitely right about the potential need to pay for a fix if I screwed up, but that's how you learn, isn't it?!

I thought by coming here, I may find an experienced person to help guide me through my first DIY attempt in a car install. I know I would have helped someone in my situation (time-permitting) if I liked the project, and given that I have arranged for laser gun testing and everything, I thought it might actually be interesting to someone.
Advertisement
gtrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #52
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
^

werd

some hilarious people in this world

for example, on an expensive car, there are lot more electronics that can go wrong. The last thing you would wonna do is being a noob and try to take apart the center console, and other complicated stuff. What are the chances of a noob to fuck it up on the first try? vs payin dimes and pennies to get somebody who does it on a daily basis like consuming food and taking a shit.
Wires and electronics are the same, whether it's in a 2003 Kia or a 2010 GTR. All you're doing is unplugging stuff to get into the console, running wires to (likely) an existing harness that already has the stuff prewired for additional things, and then plugging it all back together. It's not like he's opening up the ECU and planning on soldering on new resistors and chips...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #53
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
if i had a $100,000 + car, the only time i would consider taking it to a shop to modify/fix is either a. when i don't have the time to get it done and i need it done asap, or b. i cannot do it myself. If your mindset about cars matches what you said in your thread, then you're hardly a 'car enthusiast'. U're on the same level as the ricer that spent thousands of dollars to get his civic cosmetically 'pimped out' at the local body shop and rolls down robson with his subs cranked up and the windows down. In fact, maybe thats why revscene suits you so well, 90% of the ppl on here are just like you!
certain things its better to pay someone to do it right the first time, instead fuck it up on the first attempt than pay the shop for your fuck ups.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #54
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
I say let him do the install himself and see what happens in the end. If he fucks up, we get a good laugh at his expense. Nothing goes wrong and the install looks good and we get to laugh at all the people who was putting him down.

Look at that guy who bought the Lambo because it was his life long dream. He saved all his pennies, bought used unwanted parts to maintain his car.

OP, just wondering, what is involved with installing the rear camera? Does it involve drilling any holes or is it a factory piece that just replaces something? I'm not too familar so that's why I ask. Is the NA version of the car pre-wired for the camera?

If you take your time to take everything apart properly, and take your time to re-install everything, then it should go off without a hitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #55
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 342 Times in 57 Posts
pm timpo, he'll hook u up
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #56
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I say let him do the install himself and see what happens in the end. If he fucks up, we get a good laugh at his expense. Nothing goes wrong and the install looks good and we get to laugh at all the people who was putting him down.

Look at that guy who bought the Lambo because it was his life long dream. He saved all his pennies, bought used unwanted parts to maintain his car.

OP, just wondering, what is involved with installing the rear camera? Does it involve drilling any holes or is it a factory piece that just replaces something? I'm not too familar so that's why I ask. Is the NA version of the car pre-wired for the camera?

If you take your time to take everything apart properly, and take your time to re-install everything, then it should go off without a hitch.

waiting for result....

and waiting...
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrrr View Post
Yes, I bought from Adrey; how do you know him?
I just called my dealer and I should know for sure what the terms for the warranty are.

I just talked to the dealer, and basically he said exactly what b-dub stated earlier. There is no concern about the warranty being voided or anything, but if the alterations causes a damage, it won't be covered (obviously).

Last edited by gtrrr; 08-11-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #58
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
Failed 6 Times in 3 Posts
i was one of those kids that loved legos, and loved taking apart things, rc control cars, computers, my nintendo, the vacuum cleaner, you name it...

explains why i like to DIY almost everything i can.

electrical is still one thing i try to avoid, never was good at it or understanding it...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #59
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
^ same here...it took me 10 minutes to take apart a die case model when I was like 6.

then when I was 16, only half a minute to undress a girl...

I don't know, I find electrical is more fun...Just take a spare battery and test it out first.
The most difficult part should be putting the wires under the panels and carpets.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #60
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 41 Times in 10 Posts
this is off topic and random but im curious how old you are lol

1992 Black Acura Integra GS-R #470
kookoobird88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #61
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

the OP did say he was working on his phd in electrical eng.

so hmm, 4 years for bach, 2-3 years for masters, another 4 years for the phd, id say, 27-28 if start off straight from highschool with no deviation.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #62
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
looks like jonker plate frames. car was cheap, $101k+tax. sat in showroom for awhile.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #63
Banned By Establishment

Failed 366 Times in 46 Posts
Hmm... Were you near Crystal Mall last Sunday? If so I might have spotted you. But what are the odds since there are so many in Vancouver.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoobird88 View Post
this is off topic and random but im curious how old you are lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
so hmm, 4 years for bach, 2-3 years for masters, another 4 years for the phd, id say, 27-28 if start off straight from highschool with no deviation.
well, i did have some "deviation" and also my phd isn't yet over, but close enough. 25 it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamehustla View Post
Hmm... Were you near Crystal Mall last Sunday? If so I might have spotted you. But what are the odds since there are so many in Vancouver.
ummm... probably not
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #65
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 9 Times in 7 Posts
check out NAGTROC.org... they might offer u more help there
RC0310_EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #66
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Is this beast around near the Rusty Hut at UBC? Seen it at work/school. Nice ride, great color.
marcusnaslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #67
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 356 Times in 87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrrr View Post
hehe, yes, I guess it must be a part of the newbie experience here. At first I felt cornered by all the attacks, but now I'm starting to get it. Would ignoring simply do? Or do they need an in-your-face attitude?
best just learn to ignore the 15 yr olds, you cant keep up with them ~.^
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #68
RabidMod

Thanked 1,387 Times in 506 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
man some are you are getting really worked up over other peoples decisions. you make your own choices, they make theirs. it's not worth it.

for what it's worth i DIY almost everything i can and yeah i'll make a mistake here and there but it's all part of the experience. he can afford to screw up anyway so he has nothing to lose.

and to cap it off, he's an EE. i don't know about him but for me, a project like this would be a bit of a pride thing. for the wiring end of things to get the best of me would be shameful. that's like a mechanic who has to pay to have his own car fixed. imo the only obstacle here is running the wires and working with the interior so that it's a clean and reliable install. this is something that takes experience, which is probably why he asked for help.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #69
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
First post

Little off topic, but I've been creeping on my friend's account for a long time and I finally decided to join. Thought this would be a good thread for my first post.

Back on topic, I was actually thinking of picking up a GTR or a 911 turbo. Leaning more towards a GTR, and I was thinking the same about the rear camera! We're almost on the same boat. I too, am an engineer, and am very interested in how this is done. Without any research, I assume it's only simple wiring (and probably a hole has to be drilled at some point for the camera, unless you want it sticking out a lot.) The rest is just fab work. The real challenge I see is where to run the wires, though there's always more than 1 correct answer. Best thing to do is probably make a few calls to some audio installers and ask what your best option is, and go from there. It never hurts to ask if you can watch and see how it's done. Worst case scenario, they say no, right? Either way, after the installation, if you're still really interested, take a look at what they did and do some tracing. It's what us engineers are best at!

I'll let you know if I find anything out, and good luck with your search.
Pt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #70
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

id lean towards the 911 turbo, but thats just because i love porsches's. plus u can get it in manual!

best and yet weirdest feeling is when u slam on the brakes. other cars nose dive, the porsche, it squats...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #71
noob

Failed 185 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_alexander View Post
People just jealous you can afford a 120k car. If you had said you drove a civic, everyone would say they can hook you up.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
AsBannedAsItGets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #72
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Failed 2,239 Times in 545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt20 View Post
First post

Little off topic, but I've been creeping on my friend's account for a long time and I finally decided to join. Thought this would be a good thread for my first post.

Back on topic, I was actually thinking of picking up a GTR or a 911 turbo. Leaning more towards a GTR, and I was thinking the same about the rear camera! We're almost on the same boat. I too, am an engineer, and am very interested in how this is done. Without any research, I assume it's only simple wiring (and probably a hole has to be drilled at some point for the camera, unless you want it sticking out a lot.) The rest is just fab work. The real challenge I see is where to run the wires, though there's always more than 1 correct answer. Best thing to do is probably make a few calls to some audio installers and ask what your best option is, and go from there. It never hurts to ask if you can watch and see how it's done. Worst case scenario, they say no, right? Either way, after the installation, if you're still really interested, take a look at what they did and do some tracing. It's what us engineers are best at!

Lamborghini Gallardo (used)

that is all
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0310_EJ View Post
check out NAGTROC.org... they might offer u more help there
I've got plenty of good info form that place, but unfortunately not many Vancouverites. still, some reaaally useful information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusnaslund View Post
Is this beast around near the Rusty Hut at UBC? Seen it at work/school. Nice ride, great color.
Yes, my office is pretty close there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt20 View Post
First post

All I would say is that I really like the GTR and I use it for daily driving; but I cannot give you any comparative analysis since I have not driven a 911. Try to get a test drive for both; I had a hard time finding a GTR to test drive, but Nissan Langley let me do it. Call them and ask for Tom Pasemko. I personally really needed to drive one before buying it because of my chronic back spasm problem. I needed to make sure that car can be my day-to-day car. Honestly, I find the seats more comfortable than my previous car (FX35, which was pretty comfortable I should say).

Regarding the back-up camera, if you decided to go with the GTR, I can share with you my information. There aren't that many options, but there is more than one. And probably by then I'll have done mine so I can share with you my experience as well.

I have got all the installation instructions for the three systems I am gonna install, and the only part I don't have an experience in is taking off a few panels that would be needed to get access to the video ports. The electrical parts are pretty straightforward for someone familiar with wires and a soldering iron!

Anyways, I'll post an update with photos once I get it done; for now I am waiting for USPS to deliver all the pieces, which is probably gonna be 10 more days or so.

Last edited by gtrrr; 08-13-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #74
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
^
you bought a GTR without test driving a 911...?
You wouldn't need a backup camera in one of those
And the ride is pretty decent too if not better than a GTR,
But if I had a GTR i would definitely get a rear view camera, the rear visibility is absolutely pathetic and the trunk lid is way up there and the spoiler doesn't help...
Let alone the sheer size of the car...

This thread was prolly not the best example of RS courtesy IMO
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #75
Banned (ABWS)

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was lucky enough to test drive both the Porsche and the Nissan. A couple co-workers have one and the other

To address the Gallardo choice above, I have considered one.. I've just always been scared off by the maintenance, etc. Not to cross it off my list though
Pt20 is offline   Reply With Quote