REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Investment with a lumpsum of 2 million+ CDN

Say, if you have 2 million+ Canadian dollars, and you want to have a relative safe way to invest this chunk of money so you can live off the interest without touching the principal.

What's a relatively risk-free (4-6% return per year) to do it in a long term? (Yeah, I know about savings account, term deposit, but the interest rate fluctuates too much over the years and the rate is crappy right now, so can't really do it year after year.)

One investment option I figure is that government bonds (that have excellent ratings), which yield around 2-6% a year.

Any idea?
Advertisement

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,165 Times in 8,366 Posts
Failed 1,530 Times in 678 Posts
I would buy a giant pile of sugar
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,567 Times in 1,511 Posts
Failed 853 Times in 284 Posts
give one million to me. I'll turn it into a lot more.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Failed 17 Times in 6 Posts
Long term government bonds is the only way I can think of. Virtually credit risk free.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
IMO, commercial real estate in big US cities/metro area has pretty good potential for you.

You could buy the property outright. With ideal properties, you are looking at least 7% cap rate. And the price in US is pretty much bottom alrdy. Can't really go much lower than what's at right now.

People often stay away from commercial properties due to high entry barrier (you need some big money down). But with 2M, you could do pretty good.

Again, this is only valid if you were to invest it in relatively long term, at least 5+ years.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 384 Times in 49 Posts
I agree with Gov't Bonds. 2-6% ain't bad and its bscly guaranteed.
kluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Guess that's the best option and probably good to opt for one with earlier buy-back date.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Unauthourized Spammer

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking for dumb, safe and secure, it's not going to be huge returns.

Count your blessings if you can get 4% After tax that means you're making above the average family salary in BC.

$2 million doesn't get you what it used to.
Chuck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote