REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 11-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
E46 question Please Help!!!

Hi guys just a odd question that might sound stupid of relavent to some people but i'm having a problem with my Oil Light coming on when the car is cold.

My oil is topped off so it's not low.....could it be, i have to change the sensor?? or Something is wrong??

I change the oil my self to save my self money from getting ripped off at BMW. And I've been reseting the oil odometer on the gauge.

The light comes on only when the car is warming up and when the car is warmed up while driving it stays off and it will stay off when i start the car again while it's still hot, but once it cools down again because of this cold weather the light comes back on.
Advertisement
Phantom_Euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that unless you have a little tool you cant reset the oil fully though the dash. Theres apparently some sort of hotwire you can do but I've never done it (can be found on e46fenatics.com or bimmerforums.com).

have you checked the oil level at both cold and hot temperatures? One time with mine the oil was just fine while hot but when it cooled down it just fell below the sensor threshold and thats when the light popped up.

If you can grab an obdII code reader and hook it up there might be some fault code that is stored in there. perhaps the sensor cut out once but came back - ive noticed that sometimes the check engine light will be off but codes will still be logged into the system...now that damn srs light never wants to go off.
xplodngKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 49 Times in 21 Posts
try http://forum.e46fanatics.com/
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
There are several possibility, it could be you have sludge on your pan and it is interfering w/ the sensor. Or the sensor is bunk. Or the sensor is just coated with too much varnish (which you can just clean off).

You mind as well drop the pan, see if there are a ton of sludge.. replace the pan gasket a new sensor. Then see if the old sensor is okay and keep it a spare.. (since the sensor is >$100).

Oil level sensor:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...3%203.0i%20M54
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote