REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 21 Times in 5 Posts
I would get a more "normal" car as well. The people I see driving Smart cars are sort of like Prius owners, they just seem to hate everyone and everyone hates them back. If you want to be in that clique, then its a good car for that. That's something to consider, as people will label you a tree hugger or whatnot simply because you drive one.
Advertisement
ivanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the amount of money you spend on a smart car you are better off buying a fit, yaris or versa. With the 3 cars i mentioned you get 3 more seats and alot more cargo room for around the same price. Another thing is with a smart car if you're out of warranty prepare to spend big dollars on parts an labour. The transmission shifts like crap and the brakes aren't the greatest.
wacko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 62 Times in 32 Posts
My understanding is that a Brabus Smart is just a Smart with a Brabus body kit. There are no performance/handling enhancements.

I must say I agree with most people that you're only really getting a Smart to turn some heads. Otherwise a Yaris/Echo/Fit/Versa is definitely more suitable/practical for the price. Smarts are surprisingly expensive for what you get, and the cheap plastic interior is worse than a GM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #29
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post

the cheap plastic interior is worse than a GM.
I must say, agree for the 450 pre 07 smarts but for the current ones that OP is looking at, I must strongly disagree, the car's interior is pretty well made I have to say and I really like the seat materials.

Hey coming from where I'm standing the astra was about 17k and was more fun than all the econoboxes aforementioned. Although to find a new 5 speed is getting pretty hard. In fact i doubt there are many astras left out there. but just saying

The new Fiesta is one that you must consider OP, its at least a good 30% cheaper than the smart I believe and looks great anyone in their right mind would avoid the yaris and versa at all costs to get a fiesta >.<
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #30
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
I've never driven a smart, so it's hard to say.. but I keep hearing great things about the Fit. A friend of mine likes them so much, he bought two.. one red and one blue.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #31
RS controls my life!

Failed 220 Times in 54 Posts
would never drive a smart car just because if it gets into a crash your epicly finished
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #32
Certified Troll: Access Removed

Failed 266 Times in 19 Posts
I'd rather get the Soul
notching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #33
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
if you are in the price range of a brabus smart... there are so many other cars that you could get that would be far superior and more practical... I have driven both a gas and a diesel smart and found they were both dumb cars. The transmission was my biggest complaint as you feel like you are driving a bucking bronco... shifts are far from smooth... Just not worth the money IMO... it is more of a toy

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #34
I STILL don't get it

Failed 52 Times in 7 Posts
Personally driven one for a day when I did some work for MB Kelowna.

The feeling is strange as the rear window is right behind you, the transmission is also very jerky. I also felt that it is very underpowered esp during overtaking and changing lanes at speed.

There is also the problem of space, if you are traveling alone then I guess you can use the passenger space for your bags and stuff etc.

Like what everyone says, go do an extensive test drive, for ~22k you should seriously consider the Fit, Yaris, Mazda 2 (soon) and maybe even a base Mini Cooper if you want to have fun while driving.
VK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #35
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,552 Times in 1,733 Posts
Failed 102 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAMAN View Post
I got a 2009 brabus smart. My wife and I love it, pretty good handle, good on gas. 30L tank will get you at least 480km - 500km. Its not bad for highway in vancouver but its not good to drive down to the states. I drove it on the tiny bit of snow last monday and its still pretty good. I have snow tires on as well. Its doesnt slip because it doesnt have enough power to slip. hahaha... hope this will help you. I got mine from richmond MB.
my 1990 civic dx hb gets 500km on 32L

plus it has 4 seats and a full trunk. you can fit a twin size bed in it!

to OP, i'd recommend you get a Fit/Yaris as well, hk20000's arguments are valid.
Spoiler!

Last edited by spoon.ek9; 12-30-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typos
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote