REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #51
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 159 Times in 63 Posts
I think the reason why Westerner makes shitty cars lies with their belief system. Most common Westerners treat their job only as a way to make money. Whereas the Asian counterparts take pride in their jobs. This alone can make a world of difference.
Advertisement

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #52
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
Failed 276 Times in 88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
I think the reason why Westerner makes shitty cars lies with their belief system. Most common Westerners treat their job only as a way to make money. Whereas the Asian counterparts take pride in their jobs. This alone can make a world of difference.
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 62 Times in 32 Posts
Are Toyotas truly drive-by wire? The article mentioned the pedals were "mechanically sticking".

With that said, that's one heck of a recall.

I read in an article somewhere (I think Time Magazine? will try to find link) talking about the CEO of Toyota being afraid of something like this happening. Your company rises to the top then gets overconfident, only to start "tumbling" and get replaced by a competitor after a few years. Kind of like marathon athletes/cyclists who slow down when they think they're in first place, only to choke at the last second and fall to second as they pass the finish line.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #54
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
I think it's racist bullshit to say that westerners do not take pride in their work, but asians do. In fact, I see more cheap 'made in china' garbage than I do see similar american stuff.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #55
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,635 Times in 527 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
Check your data, VW has become the biggest automaker in the world at the end of 2009.
What do you mean by 'biggest'? Most sales? Most marques owned?

Toyota still trumps Volkswagen in global sales:

Quote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aSk5fevzcmts

Jan. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s biggest carmaker, said 2009 vehicle sales including those of affiliates fell 13 percent as the global recession sapped demand.

Toyota sold 7.81 million vehicles worldwide last year, compared with 8.97 million a year earlier, the company said today. Sales declined in the U.S. and Japan, Toyota’s two biggest markets, while rising in China, which passed the U.S. as the world’s largest auto market last year.

Falling demand for Toyota cars compares with record sales last year for Volkswagen AG, which aims to overtake the Japanese carmaker in global sales by 2018. Europe’s largest carmaker sold 6.29 million cars and sport-utility vehicles worldwide, an increase of 1.1 percent from 2008, sales chief Christian Klingler said on Jan. 11.

A global recession helped drag industrywide U.S. auto sales down 21 percent last year to 10.4 million units, the fewest since 1982, according to Autodata Corp. The slump caused the predecessor of Detroit-based General Motors Co. to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Toyota ended GM’s 77-year reign as the world’s biggest carmaker in 2008.

Toyota’s U.S. sales fell for most of 2009, rising only in the last three months of the year and in August, helped by the government’s “cash for clunkers” rebate program.

For the year, Toyota’s U.S. sales dropped 20 percent to 1.77 million units, according to Autodata. GM’s sales fell 30 percent to 2.06 million, according to Autodata.

Toyota’s sales in Japan dropped 6.7 percent to 1.35 million units. The Japanese carmaker’s sales in China gained 21 percent to 709,000. VW boosted China sales 37 percent last year to 1.4 million.
AND it turns out Toyota in europe is affected too:

Quote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB2000...658649384.html

Toyota will expand its recall of vehicles with defective gas pedals to Europe, a person close to the matter said Monday. The person said Toyota expects to recall roughly two million vehicles in Europe.

"As a part of the recall we are obliged to suspend [U.S.] sales if we do not have a remedy," said Mr. Michels.

Such a large and public quality problem is a big blow for Toyota, a company that last year passed General Motors Co. to become the world's largest auto maker by sales and for years leveraged its reputation for quality to pull customers from GM, Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC.
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #56
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 10 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I think it's racist bullshit to say that westerners do not take pride in their work, but asians do. In fact, I see more cheap 'made in china' garbage than I do see similar american stuff.
Factory workers in China are paid pennies compared to what factory workers in America are paid... or did you forget?

Now made in Japan, on the other hand...
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #57
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
westerners = asian americans, mexican americans, african americans, italian americans. you get the idea.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #58
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by min.tee View Post
Factory workers in China are paid pennies compared to what factory workers in America are paid... or did you forget?

Now made in Japan, on the other hand...
hence why made in china shit are a joke
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #59
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
this incident is an inside job paid by GM

j/k
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #60
Banned (BBM)

lol nice, to boost up their sales and make toyota crash?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #61
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 164 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Had that idiot california cop never heard of neutral and the brake pedel?
Did that idiot Iceman even read the actual facts of what happened?
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #62

Failed 68 Times in 49 Posts
Toyota's really fucked now:

When you start recalling in China, there's a big problem..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...toryCollection

By MARIKO SANCHANTA
TOKYO—The crisis facing Toyota Motor Corp. deepened Thursday as the company said its large-scale recall, stemming from a faulty accelerator pedal problem, would spread to Europe and China.

The geographic reach and size of Toyota's recall has grown dramatically in recent days, raising questions about how many of its vehicles around the world are equipped with the defective accelerator pedal.

The Japanese auto maker said it will recall an unknown number of vehicles in Europe. But unlike the U.S. market, where production will be halted for at least a week, different parts are already being used in new vehicles in Europe and production will continue as normal, the embattled car maker said.

In China, one of Toyota's joint ventures will recall 75,552 RAV4 sport-utility vehicles, the country's quality watchdog said.

"Toyota is making every effort to address this situation for our customers as quickly as possible," the auto maker said in a statement.

In the U.S., Toyota announced it was expanding a recall announced late last year involving pedals catching on floor mats. That recall originally affected 4.3 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles, making it the company`s biggest recall ever. Toyota added 1.1 million more vehicles to that recall on Wednesday, representing four models.

The move came as Fitch Ratings, the credit-ratings agency, placed Toyota's A-plus debt rating—two notches below a perfect triple-A rating—on a "negative" ratings watch.

The recent recalls and sales suspension casts "a negative light on Toyota's reputation for quality," said Jeong Min Pak, senior director in Fitch's Asia-Pacific Corporates team. "This could hamper the company's potential sales and profitability recovery, especially in the U.S. market."

Standard & Poor's and Moody's, rival ratings agencies which have Toyota rated at double-A and AA1 respectively, said they had no immediate plans to either downgrade Toyota's debt rating or put it under a ratings watch.

But S&P added in a statement that "the suspension may put downward pressure on Toyota`s earnings, which we believe have entered a recovery phase." Investors seemed to conclude the same. The auto maker's stock price continued to slide Thursday, falling 3.9% in trading on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The company's shares have fallen 15% over the past five trading days, since news of the latest recalls began to spread.

The markets appear to see Toyota's pain as opportunity for rivals' gain. Nissan Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co.'s shares both closed up nearly 3% on Thursday, outperforming the broader Nikkei 225 benchmark average.

Even so, Toyota's two biggest Japanese rivals firmly ruled out offering incentives to take advantage of their peer's woes, as they hope to gain sales without calling attention to what could be seen as a broader slip in Japanese quality.

"We will not undertake any sales activities that expressly target Toyota customers in the U.S.," a Honda spokeswoman said. A Nissan spokesman also said the company wouldn't embark on any specific sales of marketing activities, despite the recall crisis facing Toyota.

That is a contrast with Ford Motor Co. and General Motor Co., both of which have launched new incentives to snatch some market share back from the world's biggest car maker. Ford said it would offer new customers $1,000 cash to trade-in used or leased vehicles from Toyota, while GM detailed a similar program earlier Wednesday.

"Toyota is the standard-bearer for Japanese autos. If you are Honda and Nissan, it doesn't help to play it up because people would ask, 'Do all Japanese cars have problems?'" said Chris Richter, autos analyst at CLSA Asia Pacific Markets. "U.S. makers have faced decades of share erosion because of Japanese cars—now they have a chance to say, 'Japanese cars aren't as good, so buy America.'"

Meanwhile, the recalls slamming Toyota in the U.S. and Europe don't appear likely to spread to its home market. The Japanese transportation ministry isn't yet considering a probe related to Toyota's massive recall in the U.S.

The ministry believes that the parts that have caused problems in the U.S. are made locally and aren't used in Toyota cars sold in Japan, said an official there, who asked not to be identified. "It is our view that there is no need for a specific action at this point," the official added.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 AM   #63

Failed 116 Times in 29 Posts
If this was Ford they wouldn't do a thing because they'd figure it's cheaper to get sued on a handful of cases.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #64
Banned (BBM)

toyota definitely fucked themself up big time
Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #65
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Failed 354 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
If this was Ford they wouldn't do a thing because they'd figure it's cheaper to get sued on a handful of cases.
Read the link I posted. Toyota did the same thing till they were actually forced to stop selling those cars.

Lets do a little comparison here.

2007 Ford Focus Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...&trimid=102644

2007 Toyota Corolla Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...&trimid=103634

2007 Ford Fusion Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...d&model=Fusion

2007 Toyota Camry Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...ta&model=Camry

2007 Ford F150 Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...rd&model=F-150

2007 Toyota Tundra Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...a&model=Tundra

2007 Ford Edge Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...ord&model=Edge

2007 Toyota Highlander Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...del=Highlander

2007 Ford Mustang Reliability
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...&model=Mustang

....... Oh yah Toyota doesnt build anything fun
Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
Ford has learned from their PR mistakes from back in the 70s.

Check out their recent performance:

http://www.autonet.ca/autos/news/201...645246-ap.html

DEARBORN, Mich. - Ford (NYSE:F), the only U.S. automaker to avoid bankruptcy court, clawed its way to a US$2.7-billion profit in 2009 and expects to stay in the black in 2010. It was the automaker's first annual profit in four years.

Not bad for a Us company that did not take any bailouts. I think Ford deserves another chance after the 1970 mess.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #67
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Failed 159 Times in 63 Posts
wow, lowered credit ratings. Good time to buy bonds

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #68

^or short the shit out of them :P

Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #69
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Ford is now caught up in the recall, since the Explorer uses CTS brand pedals. Their share price dropped today, and may continue to do so.

Ford was a nice story since they didn't take any money. I sold my Ford shares recently, and almost regretted it. But for those paying attention, it may be a good time to buy into a severely under rated company.

Long: Ford
Short: Toyota

On a side note, I just bought this a month ago.

Shit.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #70
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Failed 1,065 Times in 267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Some people just don't know how to turn the ignition off.
Dumb idea. ES350 has a push start which needs 3-4seconds of holding down for the car to shut off. In a panic situation, that won't work for you.

Also, do you really want to lose power steering, power brakes, and have a chance at the steering wheel lock up on you? (When you turn it about 1/4 turn, the steering wheel locks). Complete loss of control.

Much better idea is to shift to neutral, then brake.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #71
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Ford is now caught up in the recall, since the Explorer uses CTS brand pedals. Their share price dropped today, and may continue to do so.

Ford was a nice story since they didn't take any money. I sold my Ford shares recently, and almost regretted it. But for those paying attention, it may be a good time to buy into a severely under rated company.
I caught a piece on a Detroit channel that said the only Ford that had this issue was some commercial cargo van (think Dodge Sprinter style). If the Explorer is part of this then yeah, that sucks for them. In the same piece they said Ford turned a $2Billion profit in '09 and they were picking up.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #72
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
to clarify:

The Ford Transit Classic made in China uses the same CTS accellerator that caused problems in the Toyotas. The Transit Classic has not had ANY issues with the accellerator pedals to date. The Transit Classic (made in China) is NOT the same as the Transit Connect (made in Turkey and sold in North America). Ford is not halting sale or production of any north american vehicles.

I'm not sure where you got your info about the Explorer using CTS pedals.. I can't find anything online...
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #73
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Dumb idea. ES350 has a push start which needs 3-4seconds of holding down for the car to shut off. In a panic situation, that won't work for you.

Also, do you really want to lose power steering, power brakes, and have a chance at the steering wheel lock up on you? (When you turn it about 1/4 turn, the steering wheel locks). Complete loss of control.

Much better idea is to shift to neutral, then brake.
but if the breaks worked the people that had sticky accelerator wouldn've crashed now would they?
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #74

^When your car's under WOT (that's essentialyl what happens with the 'sudden acceleration'), you lose all vacuum functions.. including your brakes... In some cars, when a brake signal is applied simultaneously with the gas pedal, the ECU would reduce the throttle.. Such safety mechanisms does not exist in a Toyota apparently..

Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #75
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 10 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
hence why made in china shit are a joke
Exactly.

And I don't know why I was failed for that post.