REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Failed 1,234 Times in 307 Posts
whats the best way to purchase a used car from private seller

i have never bought a use car from a private seller..

do i just give the cash and he gives me the keys and thats it.. or do i need something else...

i will be doing checks with Vin# so i see the cars history and so on..

just want to know how i can protect myself coz i never do this...
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
no u gotta go too the insurance company too switch the car owners name too yours
figure.09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
Assuming you've done all your VIN/mechanical checks, the safest way (for buyer & seller) is to meet up at a place where the seller's bank is, as well as an insurance place. For example, if I'm selling, I meet at Lansdowne because there is a TD and an insurance place right across from it.

First go to the bank, deposit the money order/cash (sellers shouldn't accept personal cheque) and wait for the teller to verify. Once verified, walk across to the insurance place and transfer the title. You (the buyer) will have to state how much was paid, and then pay tax. After the title is transferred, you'll both get a copy of the transfer form, and you're done.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
^ that's pretty much it. It's a lot easier if the seller's bank is close to an autoplan agent!
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
is it common to get a seller to transfer the car as a gift?

does it make a difference on the dollar value you put in buying a used vehicle? do u pay tax on that or anything?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 84 Times in 14 Posts
The dollar value of the transfer is used to calculate the amount of tax paid on the sale (PST I believe).

Keep in mind that an unusually low value is likely to be eyed with suspicion -- it's fraudulent to underreport the sale value.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
Gifting will mean you do not pay PST on the purchase. It is quite common for ownership transfers between immediate family members, however I don't know what happens when you try to gift a car between strangers. There is probably a price threshold at which they become suspicious and you could be charged with tax evasion, which is a serious offense.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Assuming you've done all your VIN/mechanical checks, the safest way (for buyer & seller) is to meet up at a place where the seller's bank is, as well as an insurance place. For example, if I'm selling, I meet at Lansdowne because there is a TD and an insurance place right across from it.

First go to the bank, deposit the money order/cash (sellers shouldn't accept personal cheque) and wait for the teller to verify. Once verified, walk across to the insurance place and transfer the title. You (the buyer) will have to state how much was paid, and then pay tax. After the title is transferred, you'll both get a copy of the transfer form, and you're done.
What are you gonna do if the seller walked after you deposited the money into his/her account or if there's a new lien on the car since the last time you checked? It's going to be a lengthy process to get your money back. I would just go get a cashier's cheque together with the seller (so the seller knows the authenticity of such cheque) instead of depositing money into his/her account without even initiating the transfer. Hold onto the cashier's cheque until the title is transferred.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 182 Times in 61 Posts
From my own personal experience... cash only. I don't fuck around. Mind you, Crapaliers aren't that expensive...

Check the VIN with ICBC. Have BCAA or a reputable shop (not your buddy, who thinks he knows cars) check the vehicle out beforehand.

Give seller cash, they give you keys and signed paperwork (transfer form - make sure it's all filled out! and registration- bottom part of the first page of their insurance paper). They keep the last copy. They don't have to babysit you down to the ICBC dealer to transfer it... it's easy enough, but not necessary.

If you're not transferring plates from another vehicle (10 days since you disposed of or sold it), then you'll need to take the paperwork to the ICBC place and get plates or a temporary tag before you move the car.

Or you can look up the good shit on ICBC's website: http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...riables._frag_
Old 02-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
1. Check the condition
2. Check the history
3. Check for leins
4. Check ID vs registration
5. Pay
6. Register and insure

Assuming the car isn't a $300 beater. You don't want to pay for a car that has a lein on it and get screwed into owning money on it.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Failed 852 Times in 132 Posts
1-check maintenance/condition of vehicle
2-history check (icbc history check $20, carfax $20 if its out of BC)
3-lien check at an insurance place $10
4-get it checked by trusted mechanic shop
5-meet with seller at autoplan place, the agents there will ENSURE all the documents are properly filled out so you nor the other party will have to worry about how legible the documents will be
6-transfer forms completed, exchange cash with keys
done
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post

i can't agree with this one... i remember reading a story like this back in the day on bcsportbikes.com about a guy who did a deposit first for a private sale and the seller simply walked away with the buyer's $$$ in his account. i can't remember what the recourse was for the buyer.

the last time i bought privately, i got a bank draft at my bank with the seller present, and then we went to an autoplan agent and did the transfer paperwork together, and did the paperwork/$$$ exchange simultaneously.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 02-11-2010 at 08:47 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
NEVER ACCEPT PERSONAL CHEQUES!!!!!!

thats all i gotta say

i did once and was tripping balls.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote