REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #26
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Hazelbridge = single yellow
Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #27
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide625 View Post

I was heading southbound on the street heading home w/ my gf on the leftlane as in pic. The other driver came out of a complex (not 3/4-way stop or intersection) trying to make a left turn to go northbound. He either didn't check or didn't see me coming & I hit him. I did brake if that makes any difference. Anyways ICBC says I'm @ 25% faul since there were cars in the right-lane & he was inching in already. But I don't feel I should stop to let him thru if my lane has no traffic. I would find it more dangerous if I just brake & let him thru as I might get rear-ended. I feel like I'm being penalized 25% for being @ the wrong place @ the wrong time.

What do you guys think? I can't find anything about actual law/rule saying if there's traffic in the right-lane & that I'm suppose to stop for him. If there is I guess I'll have to accept it.
The statement to use in this case would be "I've exhausted all options to stop my car in time in order to not result in a collision with the other party and other motor vehicles behind me; but despite my effort, the other party crashed into me because he/she failed to yield to the traffic on the highway (including me) who had the right of way which is a violation of section 176 of the Motor Vehicle Act."

If you actually told ICBC, "I don't feel like I should stop," ICBC would think that you hesitated in braking just because you had the right of way.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #28
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 208 Times in 42 Posts
if he is inching through, and you hit the driver / pass door, then you must have seen his front end long before you hit him....

you probably saw his front end in lots of time but failed to make any attemps to stop untill the last sec...
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 19 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I never gave the a statement to them claiming "I don't feel like I should stop". The way ICBC put it they made me understand that I should have stopped & let him thru. When they advised me that I was going to be 25% fault I asked for their rational behind the decision. They said b/c he was already inching in on the right lane I should have proceeded w/ caution. But if the guy didn't see me, or failed to check for traffic, & came out I can't stop the car to a dead-stop. I braked & did what I could to have prevented the accident. That's what I told ICBC.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
if he is inching through, and you hit the driver / pass door, then you must have seen his front end long before you hit him....

you probably saw his front end in lots of time but failed to make any attemps to stop untill the last sec...
No I never saw his front-end. Not @ least in the left-lane I was travelling on. He honestly came out pretty quickly w/ maybe 1.5 car lengths. In all honesty, put in my situation I don't think anyone could have stopped in time to avoid collision.

That make no sense. Why would I choose to stop until the last sec? Have I seen his car in my lane w/ ample distance/time I would have stopped. If I had a choice I wish I was never in the accident so I can go on w/ my life as it was instead of taking time out of my life dealing w/ this whole ordeal.

Last edited by Hide625; 03-31-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Hide625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #31
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Was he really "inching" or was he coming out quickly to beat the traffic? I fail to see how anyone could inch past the right lane.

If he came out quickly, then you just defeated ICBC's argument. But yeah, best to fight it with a lawyer. Never know when ICBC is going to change their policy regarding people who have been involved in 25% fault accidents in the past not having to pay a premium.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #32
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I don't see how this could be anything other than 100% the other guys fault. Anyone making a left like this should wait until either there's no traffic coming at you, or you have a car in each lane that you are crossing stopped for you (or at least obviously on their way to stopping).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 395 Times in 107 Posts
THis exact situation happened to my dad years ago. He is still battling in court for a proper payout. His arm was permanently damaged and he only had about 10% movement. He was deemed 100% not at fault. It's the driver turning who was labelled at fault.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #34

^ I'm not sure how it works in Canada but maybe if the OP can reference your dads case it might help.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #35
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 21 Times in 5 Posts
I think they got you on these:
Quote:
Yielding right of way on left turn

174 When a vehicle is in an intersection and its driver intends to turn left, the driver must yield the right of way to traffic approaching from the opposite direction that is in the intersection or so close as to constitute an immediate hazard, but having yielded and given a signal as required by sections 171 and 172, the driver may turn the vehicle to the left, and traffic approaching the intersection from the opposite direction must yield the right of way to the vehicle making the left turn.

179(3) If a vehicle is slowing down or stopped at a crosswalk or at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the highway, the driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear must not overtake and pass the vehicle that is slowing down or stopped.
Section 171, and 172 involve giving turn signals and don't affect the meaning. Remember that "highway" means any legal street.

What you can argue is what constitutes an immediate hazard...but they can still argue there may have been a pedestrian which was in front of the stopped car which you didn't see. That leaves you to argue that you though the car was parked and didn't see the other car at all as it shot out from there.
I doubt you can do that though...25% is being generous if there was a witness for the other driver.

So you are lucky it was only 25%...you could have been more responsible.
ivanz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #36

fail, because he was not at an intersection.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
fail, because he was not at an intersection.

How about you getting mass failed for not understand what an intersection is? An intersection is where two roads join. What you think is an intersection is called a 4 way intersection. This was a 3 way intersection...FAIL. You are right about the first one not applying though, I didn't understand his diagram....still partly responsible though.

Last edited by ivanz; 04-01-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #38

Nice try buddy, but double fail because, as stated in the OP, the guy was coming out of a complex, not off a road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide625 View Post
I was heading southbound on the street heading home w/ my gf on the leftlane as in pic. The other driver came out of a complex (not 3/4-way stop or intersection) trying to make a left turn to go northbound. He either didn't check or didn't see me coming & I hit him.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Nice try buddy, but double fail because, as stated in the OP, the guy was coming out of a complex, not off a road.
Double fail for you again:
Quote:
"highway" includes

(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,

(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and

(c) every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,

but does not include an industrial road;
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #40

the public is not invited to come park in a housing/apartment complex. unless you are a guest or resident they don't want you to park there, and can tow you.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #41

Quote:
the public is not invited to come park in a housing/apartment complex. unless you are a guest or resident they don't want you to park there, and can tow you.
So in other words you don't want to admit you are not familiar with the definition of an intersection or a highway? I guess a "private place" (see above) is public but a housing complex drive is private? Give me a break...
I was man enough to admit I made a mistake about Section 174. Still at fault for 179(3)...so 25% is more than fair.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #42

179(3) refers to a pedestrian crossing at an intersection or crosswalk...the op hit a car...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #43
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 182 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
179(3) refers to a pedestrian crossing at an intersection or crosswalk...the op hit a car...

Fail for not knowing the difference between a pedestrian and a car
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #44

The last few posts actually made me laugh on otherwise a depressing situation
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #45
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
i had some one turn left on me and icbc put it 50/50
i said noway and they changed it 100 to him
13spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #46
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
Hide625, u dont even really need a lawyer. Next time you talk to them say "well ive talked to a lawyer and he said..........." I used that line to bump up my ICBC settlement and it worked.

Anyways every1 has given you alot of good advice, but to me it comes down to the fact your going straight and hes coming out of a sidestreet/privatestreet turning left. Hell if he was making a right turn and got rear ended, it would of been his fault. He was the one that proceeded through without care. It isnt your job to full on brake at everysingle sidestreet you see to your side. And from your picture it looks like cars were even stopped past that sidestreet, which leads me to believe that traffic was stopped for a Light ahead not for that car so theres no way u would of known that traffic was stopping for him.

Only way ICBC seeing you being 25% at fault is if he was already in your lane for awhile, and you just hit him without trying to stop. But that would mean either 2 things, You were speeding and couldnt slow down in time to stop(they cant prove this unless a cop saw u speed) or You just decided to hit him cause you didnt care. Both options dont make no sense so obviously your not at fault for this at all

Last edited by RiceIntegraRS; 04-02-2010 at 09:14 AM.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #47
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 33 Times in 19 Posts
Interesting situation, I would have give 100% fault to the other guy too. I think ICBC is trying to pin you on not being prudent/careful enough about your surroundings to see him 'inching' into your path, which they MAY have a case since you hit him square on the side and not his front. He may have pulled through the curb lane quite fast though, these things are difficult to recall when you are actually in the accident.

If they are saying you should have slowed down because the curb lane car slowed down or stopped, you can also say that you don't know whether the car in the curb lane was trying to turn right to enter that complex. With the number of cars that turn or change lanes without signalling, you have a valid argument there. If the curb lane car was slowing down, it really shouldn't be up to you to figure out whether he's actually trying to stop or if he's only trying to make a right turn.

It sounds like you did what you could to avoid the accident and it sucks you may have to shoulder some of this for the other driver's careless actions. They should also ding the curb lane driver for 25% for slowing his flow of traffic down and risking a rearender to himself to let this guy 'inch out' and cause this accident, makes about as much sense to me.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #48
Certified Troll: Access Removed

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
ivan needs to be banned
impactY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #49
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
I think one of the possible reasons why ICBC left you with 25% is because if you were not at fault, you could've also claimed for injury for this and that, resulting more money claimed back for you.

I have a uncle that had a similar situation and he kinda faked injury with his family and they paid him $10,000+. There's probably too many people doing that nowadays and so that's why ICBC is trying to figure out ways to prevent paying so much.

Nevertheless, don't give up. I'm sure you can fight for what is rightfully yours.
PDA_86 is offline   Reply With Quote