REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #126
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackygor View Post
Now I am no engineer,
Obviously not if you can't tell that the Mustang's torque curve is higher than the M3's throughout the ENTIRE range.
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #127
Banned (BBM)

Failed 1,106 Times in 390 Posts
^

lol

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #128
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 89 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Obviously not if you can't tell that the Mustang's torque curve is higher than the M3's throughout the ENTIRE range.
Sigh, I already said disregard the number and look at power delivery alone. I guess this is RS for ya. It would be pointless to compare power anyways since it was done on separate dyno. And yes, I acknowledge that the 5.0 would most likely generate more rwhp even if both cars were to have a dyno run side by side.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #129
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

Failed 154 Times in 64 Posts
that M3 has a butterysmooth tq band, would love to rip on one on the track.
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 AM   #130
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 164 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackygor View Post
Surprised no one brought this up yet!
So the Ford is rated at 412 HP but puts down 395 HP while the M3 is rated at 414 HP and puts down 350 HP?

Man there's nothing like paying for 400+ HP and geting 350 HP.

Though this BMW dyno run is a little low - most E92's make around 360-365 HP at the rear wheels. Still... 35HP less than the Ford at the wheels?
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #131
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,742 Times in 1,101 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
no use arguing numbers...
need to see a nurburgring time!
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #132
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Failed 807 Times in 194 Posts
talk about needing new tires every month

http://blogs.mustang50magazine.com/6...-gt/index.html

Quote:
Our friends at Lethal Performance have got the scoop on Whipple's new 2.3-liter supercharger targeted at the ’11 Mustang GT. See it in their words after the jump...

We've got some exclusive info about the all new Whipple Supercharger kits for the 2011 5.0L Mustang GT. How about 600hp? That's right. The new 5.0L 4V motor for the 2011 GT rated at 412hp will soon have the ability to make 600hp. Thanks to our good friends at Whipple for making this possible with their W140ax 2.3L supercharger kit. The kit for the 2011 GT will be offered with a 5" air-to-water intercooler and massive "Crusher" style inlet system which was designed to minimize restriction and maximize airflow. The Crusher inlet for the 5.0L is almost identical in size to what Whipple currently offers for their 2.9L GT500 kit. The 5.0L should make around 600hp @ 7psi which is the maximum boost level recommended for the stock bottom end. Kits will be available in black or polished as well as complete kits with fuel system and tuning or tuner kits without fuel system and tuning. Be sure to stay posted as Lethal Performance will indeed be getting one of the first kits made to sport on our soon to be built Grabber Blue 2011 GT.
shouldnt this work pretty well with the Overenginneered 5.0L engine?

too bad ford didnt have a killer low financing option for 72 months :P
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter

Last edited by Tegra_Devil; 04-23-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #133
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
I just wanted to say an open thank-you to Rich Sandor for giving up his time to let me test drive the new Mustang 5.0's at his dealership, even though I said I was not a buyer. It's great to get to look at a new car without the sales pressure normally associated with it. Rich was very comprehensive in the specs, and gave me a detailed demonstration of how the Ford Sync system works. I was given a generous 30 minute test drive up to Cypress and back and really enjoyed the car... I wasn't driving stupid (wish I could same for the other drivers I had the misfortune of coming across during my drive), but now know how 400+hp can make you lose your mind

So if you are looking for a new Ford, go find Rich because he needs the $$$ from the sales commission to feed his Porsche LOL
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #134
I subscribe to Revscene

Failed 349 Times in 74 Posts
this is going to be my next car!! always wanted a mustang, they sound soo nice with exhaust
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #135
RabidMod

Thanked 1,343 Times in 484 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
@thumper - haha no doubt i'll be looking for Rich when i'm in the market for a Ford. which seems increasingly likely at this point with the stuff they're coming out with lately.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #136
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 68 Times in 49 Posts
I've only driven a rental 4.6GT Vert (autotragic) in Hawaii 2 Xmas's ago and I thought it was solid and tons of fun. I can't imagine what a 5.0 feels like!

I'll be contacting Rich soon as soon as my Mazda reaches 200,000kms..

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #137
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
How about this, I buy the Mustang. With the money I've saved i'll put it into the Mustang and absolutely demolish the M3.

I can't believe this is being argued.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #138
Banned (BBM)

Mehh ppl argue about anything.

They would argue about a civic vs a ferrari

How you can save a million dollar, make it faster yet still have extra money left.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #139
Witness protection

the stock exhaust on the 5.0 sounds great. i don't see the point in anyone changing it out unless it's restrictive. it's very quiet if driven normally, but if you stand on it.... wow.

the engine has so much torque and i just wasn't used to it because i've been driving a little 4 banger for so long that needs to be wound out if i want any sort of power. with this engine there is power just about everywhere. it pulls in every gear, even 6th. i couldn't help but wonder if it would ever run out...

the steering is nice. very accurate. and it's assisted by an electric motor, not a conventional hydraulic pump. it didn't feel artificial, and the assist is variable, so it's not stupid heavy when parking or at low speeds, but i felt it get heavier the faster i drove.

the shift throws for the gearbox are really short. very smooth, not notchy, but it has more effort in it compared to, say, an honda s2000. there is a skip shift from 1st to 4th for fuel economy, but it only happens if you are in low rpms (i think below 2000rpm? maybe rich knows more). the clutch is not heavy, definitely feels better than the 2005 i drove long ago. i was off on my takeoff though... i haven't used a manual transmission regularly in awhile and my coordination was not the smoothest

unfortunately the cali special i drove does not come with the brembo brake package, so i have no idea whether it's worth it or not. rich did sell a 5.0 coupe to someone else that had the brembos and he says it's 100% worth it?

the car rides great, even on 19" wheels. no stupid rattles and nothing fell off. i still hate convertibles... with the top up i felt like i was sitting inside an oil drum. i miss the quarter windows and the backlight is really small, made worse by the raised rear wing the CS package comes with... and you can't get a rear view camera if you get the CS package. go figure?

wish the steering wheel was telescopic. at least it tilts. i don't know what ford was thinking but the power seat still has a manual seatback... wut? the backlit "mustang" logos on the door sills was pretty trick. the CS had a grained leather bolstered seats with carbon-fibre printed inserts for the centers and on the door panels. seat belt kept strangling me because of the lack of a b-pillar but rich said there was an extension that you can get to fix that. the center dome on the hood is really high. i didn't hit anyone or anything but i was a bit self conscious all the time. rich mentioned you can get an optional (non-functional) hood scoop as well...

i was a bit unhappy with how the trunk is finished. typical american car with the loose carpeted formed trim that make up the sides and the floor is not flat obviously because of the live axle. the rear says do a 50/50 split, but there is a big crossbeam under the parcel shelf that limits space. at least trunk lid opens right down to the bumper. if you've seen a camaro and the mail box slot they call a trunk opening you know what i mean.

i wrote too much...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #140
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 71 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
How about this, I buy the Mustang. With the money I've saved i'll put it into the Mustang and absolutely demolish the M3.

I can't believe this is being argued.

Ya but it'll never look this sexy

I've driven the 2010 Mustang GT 5.0 for a few days a month ago. I was impressed with the power -- not so impressed with the vague steering and SCARY handling over 80 mph.....

but to each his own but for me M3 wins

I'm back to MILF hunting in my car..... see ya
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #141
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
^^ Not a big fan of how the E92 'vert looks. The hard top is much sleeker, IMO. The Mustang, on the other hand, has a real nice menacing look to it.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #142
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
100% agree with thumper's write up.

The track pack is a $1700 option.. worth every penny, imho.

Brakes on a car are the dead giveaway of whether or not it's a serious machine. I can't take a 'sports car' or 'muscle car' seriously unless it has at least 4-piston solid or monobloc calipers and thick, vented rotors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblog
Take rate on Brembo package for 2011 Ford Mustang higher than expected
by Drew Phillips (RSS feed) on Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:27AM

2011 Ford Mustang GT – Click above for high-res image gallery

As a general rule, the things that us car journalists typically enjoy – things like manual transmissions, no-frills interiors and wagon variants – don't necessarily sell well. The same can be said for expensive non-powertrain performance options, which is why we were surprised to learn that the Brembo brake package for the 2011 Ford Mustang has been selling quite well.

According to Automobile Magazine, Ford says that the take rate for the option has "exceeded our expectations" and sales are "running substantially above last year's Track Pack." Perhaps we should give Mustang buyers, ostensibly only interested with drag racing, more credit than we initially thought.

Priced at $1,695, the Brembo brake package includes a set of 14-inch front discs with four-piston calipers, rear 11.8-inch discs with four-piston calipers, special 19-inch wheels, summer performance tires, and unique tuning for the suspension, stability control and steering.

Part of the reason for the high take rate might be that choosing the option is actually much cheaper than buying the same parts in the aftermarket. The 14-inch brake kit in the Ford Racing parts catalog will run you $1,489, which doesn't include the rear brake upgrade, and you still have to buy new wheels and tires. For aftermarket-obsessed Mustang owners, checking the option box to get it straight from the factory just makes more sense.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #143
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
The M3 is a beautiful car. I would love to own one, although I think the Mustang is a better value for my purposes. I don't think it's fair to compare them though; they both have 4 wheels, 2-doors, and 400hp, but that's where the comparisons should end. They target two totally different demograpics.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #144
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Failed 61 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat_R View Post

People can go hunt JB in surrey with a 5.0
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #145
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat_R View Post

I've driven the 2010 Mustang GT 5.0 for a few days a month ago. I was impressed with the power -- not so impressed with the vague steering and SCARY handling over 80 mph.....

but to each his own but for me M3 wins

i wish i had your deep pockets, otherwise i would be all over an m3 as well, but that is not the case. even if i were able to scrape up enough for an m3, i wouldn't have anything left for a dinner and a movie after a successful MILF hunt LOL...

i'm a little confused... are you sure you drove a 2010 gt? if so, it would have been the old 4.6L v8 version, and not the 5.0. i'm also not 100% sure but i think the 2010 had the old hydraulic power steering assist... rich, are you out there?

also wondering what is your definition of "vague steering and scary handling"? my test drive didn't involve any autox manoevers and i only experienced the fast sweeping turns and a few of the tighter ones on cypress, and didn't feel anything amiss. but then again i only had 30 minutes to drive it, not days, and rich was in the car so i had to be on my best behaviour heh... the only time i was doing close to 80mph was trying to dodge that mouthbreather in the mercedes who thought merging onto the highway should be done at 50kmh, and there was no hysterics to report. rich regularly autocrosses a porsche and he had no complaints (albeit he may be biased since he sells fords lol)...
Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #146
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 68 Times in 49 Posts
Phat_R: Nice colour combo.. what front lip do you have installed?

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #147
Banned (BBM)

sick m3
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #148
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 51 Times in 20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
^^ Not a big fan of how the E92 'vert looks. The hard top is much sleeker, IMO. The Mustang, on the other hand, has a real nice menacing look to it.
Thankfully all e92 'verts are hardtop convertibles!

(Granted, it's not a true hardtop, but it sure looks the same until you get up real close.)
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #149
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 395 Times in 107 Posts
Sit in an M3. Then sit in a Mustang. You'll quickly see why the BMW is double the price.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #150
Banned (BBM)

^

really?

well obviously the bwm interior is much more refined...little things do add up