REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
RabidMod

Thanked 1,322 Times in 475 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Dragonboating - Any Teams Recruiting Still?

I think I saw a thread on dragonboating on here before, and I was hoping maybe some of you in the community might still be around.

I'm wondering what the policy is on joining a team at this point. I realize it must be the off season right now, with Alcan having completed and all, but maybe there are some casual events still going on? Are there any teams that would take on new people right now or would we have to wait til the start of the next season?

My buddy and I are both 24, in pretty good shape, and we're looking for a recreational team in their early-mid 20's, maybe meet a few people and try the sport out. We can commit to twice a week for the rest of the summer if need be.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Failed 162 Times in 29 Posts
Post on http://dragonboatwest.net and I'm sure a team will pick you up. After Alcan, there's still a bunch of festivals that go on, like going to Victoria, Penticton, Kelowna. If you're looking to get on a recreational team, joining half way into the season isn't too big a deal as the sport can be picked up pretty quickly if you go to practice often.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah the DB season is still going on (and strong), if not picking up more so after Alcan with summer coming along & the other festivals coming up.

DB is definitely a sport where you can get the basic elements down but like kayaking, running, cycling with constant and similar actions... there's a lot to do to refine your technique and strengthen your muscles. As well, because Dragon Boat is very team extensive, a lot of "blending" and "timing" issues will occur that you'll get used to with practice.

Definitely a great sport to get into.. going into my 6th year of it and I'm loving it more so than when I started.

A funny and common DB phrase is this..

1st year - Still new and learning the sport but getting the hang of the basic elements
2nd year - You've grasp the basic elements of paddling and you begin to offer advice to your teammates even though they've been paddling longer than you
3rd year - You're still offering advice to your teammates but you're starting to think there's more to it than you think.
4th year - You realize THERE IS more to it than you think, and you start asking and trying to gain as much info. as possible. You also begin to lay off on the criticisms/suggestions to your teammates
5th year - You're starting to learn and refine your skills + strengths. You also stay quiet but offer advice when it's asked.

Some people do stay in certain years for certain lengths, but that seems to be the general trend amongst paddlers =P
xXDragonXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
RabidMod

Thanked 1,322 Times in 475 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice =).

Are there other recruiting forums or is dragonboatwest pretty much the main one?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #5

dragonboatwest is the only one for Vancouver
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #6

someone from Red Fusion replied to your post, I think someone on here is from Red Fusion, I don't remember who though
Old 08-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
I don't get it

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
THere's a DB festival at Steveston next weekend, Aug 21-22
Registrations still open for drop in paddlers, obviously this is just for fun if you just wanna get back on the water. I have no idea what team i'm gonna get put on, but at least I get a chance to paddle again.

Register at www.dragonzone.ca/code/steveston/register.php
It's 34$ registration fee for individuals.
I can send the race registration package with the race details if you need it.
NimbeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote